Start by marking “Roadwork” as Want to Read:
Roadwork

Roadwork

There are many big machines and busy people involved in building a road, and this riveting board book follows them every step of the way. From clearing a pathway (screek! ) to rolling the tar (squelch! ) to sweeping up at the end (swish! ), Roadwork is sure to delight you
Board Book, 28 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Roadwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roadwork

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dec 09, 2012 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it really liked it
My nephew Angus, who is about 6 months older than my own boy, loves this book, and I got him the next one in the series, Demolition , for his 2nd birthday on the 28th of December. I hadn't heard of the books or Sally Sutton until my sister told me about them, but I thought, if Angus loves this book, it must be good.

True to form, when it arrived in the mail and we opened the parcel and got it out last Thursday (6th December), I had to read it four times in a row - and many times since!

Each doubl
Maggie
May 10, 2013 Maggie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Load the dirt. Load the dirt. Scoop and swing and drop. Slam it down into the truck. Bump! Whump! Whop!” Children from ages 2 to 5 may derive plenty of fun seeing the pictures and listening to someone read this to them in English, but the Spanish translation does not produce the same effect. These sentences appear in the Spanish edition as “Cargas la tierra. La tierra cargas. Excavas, recoges y apilas. Dentro del camión la descargas. ¡Cataplum! ¡Plis, plas!”
From the book's first sentence in Spa
Russell
Back in 1994, Howard Stern entered the gubernatorial race as the Libertarian Party candidate. While he ultimately withdrew over financial disclosure concerns, he backed the eventual winner, George Pataki. A year later, he was able to get the "Howard Stern Bill" passed, which restricted road construction to nighttime hours in NYC. The gist of the proposal was arguing against the disruption to traffic during the day. Ironically, this nighttime construction frequently caused delays to his staff as ...more
jacky
Feb 08, 2011 jacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book covers the whole process of a road being built from smoothing the ground to planting flowers along the side. Great onomatopoeia. Awesome title for anyone who loves construction vehicles, or just likes noises books.
Stef Rozitis
This book has realistic and detailed pictures heavily featuring some of the machines that are so beloved of children. In some ways it reads as an apologetic for all the bloody roadworks we have these days as it even tries to greenwash the process with some landscaping at the end (no, that is not a spoiler). The book sort of rhymes and almost scans and each page rhyme ends with some onomatopoeia which I think in this context is less strong than some, and I feel sure the children don't so much lis ...more
Lucy
Jun 05, 2017 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kid likes all the onomatopoeia.
Eliot Reads
Jun 21, 2017 Eliot Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite of the 3 we read.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I can see people using this in reading aloud time in a library setting and getting excited about a new book on machinery and road building and various sounds that one can make and get the kids to make during the program.

However, there, to me, is quite a bit of design problem. (Since the text is not lengthy and the illustrations seem to be less important than that of the design of the text, I demand quite a bit from the Designer here):

The bold and large Ariel font is repeated exactly the same way
Angie
Jun 27, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Every preschooler who is mad for machines will revel in this bright, boisterous picture book about the exciting process of building a road.

"Load the dirt. Load the dirt. Scoop and swing and drop. Slam it down into the truck. Bump! Whump! Whop!"

There are many big machines and busy people involved in building a road, and this riveting picture book follows them every step of the way. From clearing a pathway (SCREEK!) to rolling the tar (SQUELCH!) to sweeping up at the end (SWISH!), ROADW
Emma
Aside from being good general noisy building books, because toddler, the illustrations in this book and its friend Construction are spectacular. This really makes them stand out. They're detailed and accurate, which means we can look at what is for real actually being done, down to the high vis vests and witches hats, which helps us when we're out and about looking at real sites, because toddler. As well as that, artistically the illustrations are really satisfying. They are really graphic but a ...more
Shelly
Sep 07, 2014 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give 5 stars, but this book definitely deserves it. I've had to read this book over and over and over again because my son loves it so much. (So, he gives it 5 stars, too.) But I actually don't mind reading this one again and again.

It has just the right amount of words, for my almost 3 year old, on each page. It scores points on diversity since it's a book about road construction, but doesn't just show men. And it doesn't just show white men, either. There are women and people of color
Renee
Jul 15, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: There are many big machines and busy people involved in building a road, and this picture book, with its rambunctious rhymes and noisy fun, follows them every step of the way, from clearing a pathway to rolling the tar to sweeping up at the end.

My favorite truck book! LOVE IT!

The text has great rhythm and flow to to. You chant the text when you read it. It also has great rhythms and action sounds. Lots of construction trucks throughout this book.

Second book in the series is Demolition
Katherine Cowley
Mixed feelings: my daughter is obsessed with this book because she loves stories about trucks. But the story, and the illustrations, feel like it's about the rape of the countryside. A road is built--to nowhere. Huge swaths of beautiful, fertile land are torn out, for no purpose but to destroy the countryside. Of course, they plant trees around the road afterward, a bit of recompense I suppose. The rhymes are fun, and the jolting, aggressive words work well for trucks, but I can only handle read ...more
Gabriel Wallis
Apr 23, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I found "Roadwork" to be a captivating book. And it wasn't just a book. It was a poem about road construction. The way it was written caught my attention. And not only my attention, but my entire family's attention. I read "Roadwork" tonight before putting my kids down for bed. They were so wrapped up in the story, they were climbing all over each other and me to get to the book. They wanted to make the noises presented in the book and look at the colorful illustrations. It was fun, and I'll pro ...more
Patti K
Jun 27, 2012 Patti K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son loves this book. This frequently makes it to the bedtime reading selection. We've had it for a while, but I always forget to add it to my list. The rhymes are fun and it's a good explanation of the road construction process (so says the civil engineer) for the younger audience. If you want to get a kid interested in engineering, this isn't a bad place to start. Definitely a good book for the kid who loves 'struction, as my son does.
Olga Kilicci
Feb 12, 2015 Olga Kilicci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for children who like cars and trucks, especially trucks. It has a wonderful variety and showcases their various uses, in this case, in the construction of a road. The illustrations are clean, colourful and effective. The rhymes are fun and engaging. I particularly like the inclusion of noise words, which make for a fun read. I can see this becoming one of my sons favourites.
Feb 25, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My kid loves this book - we got it from the library and read it about 50 times this week!! He is obsessed with trucks and cars (and really anything with wheels) so he loves this. I live thy it actually tells a story - the whole road gets built a page at a time, while scanning really well and being fun to read, with good onomatopoeic words ending each page.

My son is 18 months and my 3 month old nephew seemed to like the cadence of it being read too.
Sydney Edlund
Sep 07, 2013 Sydney Edlund rated it it was amazing
Shelves: walt-titles
Walt loves the couplets and has the first few memorized already. I'm with his Nana in wondering why a small child needs to know the minute details of how a road is made, but Walt clearly feels the correct level of information is being provided, and at the end of the day, that's good enough for me. We've read Plan the Road almost daily for weeks now and both still enjoy it.
Angie
This is a great new picture book about an old topic. I could see using this for storytime and in a music and movement capacity. It is perfect for promoting phonological awareness. Multiple sound words create a vivid auditory picture. The rhyme and rhythm of the text is wonderful; offering an exciting addition to storytime or a rhythmic addition to a music and movement storytime!
Erin
Nov 23, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toddler
Definitely one of my son's favorite books due the the awesome use onomatopoeia. He could care less about the pictures and instead dances to words like "Bump, Whump, Whomp" and "Screech, Boom, Whoosh." The road near us has been under contruction for the last four years and so he can relate to the book.
Paula
there is a sound with every page and movements that could be done by the kids
Lynn Godek
Jan 20, 2014 Lynn Godek rated it it was amazing
I found this on my co-workers desk and was intrigued. As a Landscape Architect for NYS Department of Transportation, I was impressed that they included the entire construction process. There is a page for the signing crew, the utility crew, and.....even the landscaping. The text is lacking but I typically fill in more details where the book leaves of anyway.
Dianna
Sep 07, 2016 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed with this book. It rhymes, which usually doesn't go well in children's books, but this one is perfect! The meter and rhyme are good, and there are fun sound effects that my son loves. The pictures are nice too. I love it when I stumble upon a high-quality board book; there is a lot of mediocrity out there.
Sher
This is a brightly coloured, noisy, thumping, clattering rhyming book which little boys (and girls) adore. The story of how a road is built is complemented by a glossary and illustrations explaining the finer points of diggers, dump trucks and other heavy machinery. Winner of the New Zealand Post Picture Book Award 2009.
Megababy
Dec 31, 2016 Megababy rated it liked it
Shelves: library, older
Mom has read this book to me twice. She likes the rhythm of it. I think it's ok, some of the noises she makes are funny. But it's kind of long and I get impatient and start trying to close the book. Maybe I'll like it more when I'm a little older.
Beth
Clear, engaging illustrations, brief rhyming text that entertains while getting in plenty of detail about how roads are built, and a good length for preschool storytimes (a few spreads could be "cut" for wiggly readers)

Krystal
Dec 17, 2013 Krystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liam-mason-books
My 3 year old loves trucks and construction sites so he fell in love with this book! I like the rhythmic story line and the illustrations were amazing! Definitely a must if your child is fascinated by machines and trucks!!
The Library Lady
Sep 10, 2008 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big machines! Rhyming text that works! Big machines! Nice layout! Big machines!

Did I mention: BIG MACHINES?

A winner. Another book I bought 2 copies of, and fully expect each to be loved to death in short order.
Jocelin
Maybe I am not a fan of construction books, because I wasn't that crazy about this one. If your kids are into big trucks and seeing construction then; this is the book for you. Kids 2 and under will like this one, especially if the storyteller is very animated.
Finn Pennekamp
Aug 16, 2012 Finn Pennekamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my friend Sarah Anne Maddox's very favorite book, and I know why -- this book is awesome! It's loud, has great trucks and machines and teaches you all about building a road. This book is FUN and everything a boy could ever want in a good read.
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Pouch!
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Everywhere Babies
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Hands Can
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • Digger, Dozer, Dumper
  • Noni The Pony
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
Sally Sutton is an Auckland playwright and children’s writer. Her first picture book, "Crazy Kiwi Tops and Tails", was published by Penguin in 2006. "Roadworks" will be her third picture book. She lives in the bush-clad suburb of Birkenhead with her husband and children
More about Sally Sutton...