Start by marking “Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out” as Want to Read:
Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out

Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  34 reviews
“A blue-ribbon choice for family sharing”
—Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Praise for
Book for Young People
A National Endowment for the Humanities We the People
Bookshelf Selection
“Explore the no
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Our White House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our White House

Amy Carr
This book had the potential to be such a fantastic resource and document of our country's White House and the men and women who have lived there and helped shape our country's history. It was a series of stories, anecdotes, illustrations, poems, etc. by some of the United State's most prominent children's authors and illustrators. With the exception of a few stories and illustrations, most of this book was pretty uninteresting and downright boring. I was really baffled at some of the selections ...more
Some of the most loved authors and illustrators of picture books come together for this edited collection about The White House. Created by the National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance, the book has poems, graphic novel spreads, political cartoons, letters, historical notes, and stories as well as a collection of illustrations that are just as diverse as the writing.

This is an excellent historical resource because each entry is concise. The entries could be used collectively or individuall
This is an eclectic collection of stories, vignettes, primary sources (speeches and letters), illustrations, poems, imagined dialogues, historical retellings, and more, connected not always to the White House (though some are), but more to the presidency and to momentous happenings that involve the president and government. It's arranged chronologically, starting with the original White House and going up through the second George Bush. The fictional parts and illustrations were done by a multit ...more
This book doesn't quite make the cut as a proper picture book for children, although it does contain beautiful art from many of the most prominent illustrators of today. It's not a book for young children either, for that most of the texts are too wordy and not particularly child friendly either. But older children might enjoy it a lot if they're interested in our history. There should be something for everyone in there. I'll admit that some of the segments I only glanced through however. But a ...more
Aug 13, 2008 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a huge release from Candlewick. We have lecturn floor displays coming. Ask Jan how excited she is about this one. Laydown date: September 9, 2008!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Allison Fraclose for

On March 14, 1792, building commissioners in charge of the newly planned capitol city of the infant United States government issued a call for designs on a presidential mansion. The person who submitted the winning design would win five hundred dollars or a medal of the same value for their plans.

Over the next few years, with the combined efforts of world renowned builders, immigrant workers, and even slaves, the most famous house in the country
Elizabeth Taylor
Our White House is full of different real stories about the history of the White House. It shares stories of the people that lived in it and events that happened to the building. It's made up of personal essays and poetry. Although it contains some historical fiction, most of the book is nonfiction. I would use this book in my classroom during a unit on the President.
Feb 05, 2011 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Michelle
I really enjoyed this book! All it is is short stories about each president of the US. Some of the things I learned were, Franklin Roosevelt was the only president to serve 3 terms. Woodrow Wilson cried after signing the paperwork to join World War 1. Teddy Roosevelt's son died in WW1 (after Teddy left office). Harry Truman didn't live in the White House most of the time because it was under renovation during his presidency. It was interesting to read Dick Cheney's account of 9/11. Once the 2nd ...more
This is just about a perfect book for everyone, informative, fun, beautifully illustrated and covering all aspects of White House Life. Where else can you hear from Socks and the seamstress to Mary Todd Lincoln and learn about the bones that Thomas Jefferson brought to the White House. Just about everyone who is anyone in children's literature contributed to this book, Katherine Paterson, Virginia Euwer Wolff, Jane Yolen, Ed Young, Jon Scieszka, over 100 "top guns." The cover is by David Macaula ...more
Lots of interesting stories about the White House. Can't wait to revisit this when we get to American history.
Anne Broyles
There's something for everyone in this nifty collaborative effort. History, trivia, adventure, humor and illustrations by "more than one hundred celebrated authors and illustrators." The reader gets just a snippet of info in most pieces; I often yearned f or more substance from some of the great authors, but this book presumably will draw kids in and perhaps send them off for more details on the story/trivia/period that captivates them.
Kerry Kenney
I bought this book for my birthday and it is a treat. It offers a good selection of white house stories. A weakness of the collection is that it doesn't strike the right tone for kids. When I was reading some of the chapters I thought "Is a child going to be hooked by this?"

I love the illustrations. I also think that since there are very few books about the glorious White House that are aimed at young readers this is definitely a fine start.
Sandy Brehl
Contributions by 108 renowned authors and illustrators make this unique and worthy for any collection. beyond that, there is something for everyone here, although primarily older readers who have some sense of American history. This has something for everyone and it's not necessary to read through from cover to cover: poems, expository text, maps, portraits, diagrams, illustrations, essays.
This book was designed to help confront historical illiteracy. It was written by 108 different authors and illustrators. It really is a beautiful book. It is full of short stories and wonderful artwork, all about the history of our country. One of my favorite stories was written by Jimmy Carter. I highly recommend this book, even if you only read some of the stories.
Sam Bloom
This book is truly wonderful - actually, it would make an awesome upper-elementary history textbook. The contributing authors (Jon Szciezka, Jerry Spinelli, Natalie Babbitt, etc.) and illustrators (Chris Raschka, Brian Selznick, Annie Barrows, etc.) are top-notch, and the vignettes are fascinating. I really hope this wins some kind of award at ALA; it certainly deserves it.
wonderful compilation of stories about past presidents, their families, and the time spent in the White House. i really enjoyed reading some of my favorite children's authors stories, as well as the variety of illustrations that accompanied the stories from many well-known children's illustrators.
Excellent variety and a very interesting read about the 'executive mansion', the people who lived there and it's history. "Created by 108 Renowned Authors and Illustrators and the National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance".
Sep 24, 2008 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, us-history
I just got this book in the mail and it is a real treasure of artwork, prose, poetry and photography about the White House and its history and inhabitants. I look forward to spending more time with it.
Appealing to all ages -- beautiful illustrations, wonderful stories and tidbits about the White House and its occupants. Only drawback is that it came out before our new first family moved in.
Laura Tabrizipour
I think this is a good book to use when teaching children about US history and about the white house. I think the children could do a project about the white house after reading this book.
Sharon Edelmann
I loved this beautiful "coffee table" book! It is truly written for children of all ages, and is an artistic, educational, funny, emotional, and creative tribute to our nation's house.
I have not read the whole thing and what I have read is interesting and engaging! However, much of it is fiction/historical fiction ... at least of what I've read so far.
Deborah Morgan
A treasure of stories, both real and imagined, of life in the white house. I love trivia so this book was good for that. The illustrations were a great addition.
Gorgeous, beautifully written and illustrated. Most of the stories/poems/speeches I've never heard before and they were such a surprise, so revealing.
What a fantastic collaborative effort--important facts, trivia, great art. There's something for everyone in this book about the People's House.
Lot's of interesting short stories on little known events from The White House - for kids and adults. Good "Postum" table book.
I really enjoyed sharing many of the stories with my children. A fun way to learn of our nation's history.
Kerry Daus
I am excited to have Mary Brigid Barrett coming to IHMS on March 8 & 9 to talk to our students!
This is the book I'll read to my kids before they go to bed. So much better than princess stories.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • Annie and Helen
  • The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary
  • We are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball
  • Ballet for Martha: Making Appalachian Spring
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond