Start by marking “Tubby” as Want to Read:
Tubby

Tubby (Leslie Patricelli Board Books)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Hooray! SPLASH! Leslie Patricelli’s beloved Baby is back!

It’s time for a bath! Whee! And Baby obliges as only he can, playing with bubbles (and using them to make facial disguises from Santa’s beard to bunny ears), imitating a motorboat, and letting Mommy wash his single hair. And what would tubby time be without running away naked and shiny clean—only to be scooped up and
Board Book, 28 pages
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tubby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tubby

kim
Dec 05, 2014 kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, kids, picture
adorbs
Emily
Jan 13, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Another great book about a daily toddler ritual. I love the pictures how simple and funny they are. Catherine likes this little baby and so does her mother.
Robert Beveridge
Aug 06, 2014 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Leslie Patricelli, Tubby (Candlewick Press, 2010)

Patricelli's Potty was our favorite potty-related book, so this was a natural. Same ridiculously cute baby going through the joys of tubby time in language that's easy for the pre-lit crowd to parse. Does it help with fear of the bathtub? I have no idea. Does my kid love it? Yes indeed. This was a library book, but it got pulled out at story time during those three weeks more often than not; considering buying it for the permanent collection. ***
Danielle
Jun 29, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Leslie Patricelli is extremely well-known for her Baby board book series and this recent addition is one that will be accepted with open arms from old and new fans alike. Centered around the ever popular Baby, the story features that favorite (and least favorite for some) time of day, bath time. Covered in dirt from head to toe by the end of the day it’s about time to get clean, all while having a fun time and trying not to get mom and dad too wet. From funny faces with bubbles to counting ducki ...more
Robin Forsyth
Aug 29, 2015 Robin Forsyth rated it it was amazing
Even though I've read this book about 36 bazillion times, I still find it utterly captivating.

The pivotal moment (spoiler alert) when the child gets soap in his eyes and his mother rescues him is heart wrenching and beautifully written.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys baths or has a toddler, or both.
Tarra
Jul 02, 2014 Tarra rated it really liked it
Very cute! My little girl loves this book. The art is wonderful, with lots of painter's texture, and the story is an adorable, yet accurate, telling of baby's bath time.
Darlene
May 27, 2015 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Another favorite by this author. My granddaughter has me read this to her over and over and she is saying the words at 21 months old
Asho
Dec 27, 2015 Asho rated it liked it
This is a cute little book for babies and toddlers about a silly baby at bath time. My one-year-old seemed amused.
Jessica
Jul 01, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddie
A sweetly charming book, but particularly fun for its sly joke about what needs drying after an active baby's bath....
Nick
Nov 24, 2015 Nick rated it liked it
It's fun to yell "Tubby Time!" but the page of soap-bubble designs is a little bit uninspiring.
Steven Zachary
Jun 27, 2015 Steven Zachary rated it liked it
can't beat the original, kids still love it.
Allison
I love this book:)
jacky
Apr 08, 2011 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
A very cute book about bath time. The story is complete with naked running, splashing, and crying over shampoo rinsing, which makes it a realistic depiction of the average baby's bath. I also liked how at the very end, the baby says he's clean, but the dog coming into the picture is not.

(Side note, I like how the baby in Patricelli's books is genderless, though I think of it as a him).
Emilie
Dec 16, 2013 Emilie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
All three of my kids have LOVED the Baby board books by Lesli Patricelli. This is one of our favorites of the set. The baby goes through the steps of bath time. Super cute illustrations and funny bathing steps make this book perfect for small children. A big favorite is the page on the different ways the baby uses bubbles to impersonate different people.
Emerson and Theodore
Aug 20, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Another baby life-style book from Leslie Patricelli. This book is all about bath-time!!
It is very realistic: kicking, blowing bubbles, fussing when hair is rinsed, running around naked, and cleaning up all the water from the bathroom floor. It is a good laugh for anyone who has been destroyed by bath time. Emerson was enthralled. Max collection.
Megan
Oct 30, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: age 1-3
Patricelli accurately captures the toddler bath experience for both child (counting ducks, playing with bubbles, soap in the eyes) and parents (mommy dries baby, daddy dries the bathroom). Another good entry in Patricelli's board books about toddler days.
Elizabeth K.
Mar 07, 2012 Elizabeth K. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-lucy
Again, we love Leslie Patricelli books. Lu likes pointing out the baby on every page. This is about taking a bath. It's very hard to review the plots of board books, as it turns out. There is a bath, and then a twist ending.
Sylvester
Oct 03, 2013 Sylvester rated it really liked it
4* art
4* story

This is one of those books that could be about Squirt. Right down to the running around naked ("Weeee!!") after a bath. He knows exactly what I am reading to him, because it happens every day. Lots of fun.
Lydia
Apr 04, 2016 Lydia rated it really liked it
Lydia loves these books. Tubby was a cute story about bath time. Lyds ate it up.

(20 months)
Lenore Webb
Nov 04, 2010 Lenore Webb rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Well we are reading our Potty and Tubby books. These bright bold cardboard books really do help her focus on time to potty and bath time. And that is areas we have to focus on right now.
Heather
Dec 12, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books, inv
My eighteen-month-old son LOVES this book, and every other board book we own by Leslie Patricelli. Simple, whimsical text and illustrations make these books perfect for very young children.
Venice
Dec 03, 2010 Venice rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves this book. She's 1 1/2 and can totally relate to it, on the naked pages she yells WHEEEEEEE. I see they also have a potty book, I'll look for that too.

Huda
Nov 08, 2010 Huda rated it it was amazing
Real kids get EXCITED taking their clothes off (:
and soon become annoyed when the soap enters their eyes S:

LOVED THIS BOOK, really!
what a kid can do to enjoy his bath ??
Rachel
Jun 08, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1 year olds
Recommended to Rachel by: Library
Shelves: kiddos
Oh, Tubby. I'll give you 4 stars because Violet loved you so for 3 long weeks. I was very happy to escort you back to the library today. Adieu, Tubby, adieu.
Allison
Aug 25, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
I love this author and her books. Simple and humorous. My 18 month old MUST end bathtime every night with a naked romp down the hall screaming, "wheeee!"
Hyrum
Jun 06, 2011 Hyrum rated it liked it
This book made me confused because his bath had bubbles and toys. My bath doesn't have these things. I will need to do further resesarch.
Deb
Jan 13, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Love the baby of this series, so happy and cutely drawn. Somewhat reminiscent of Charlie Brown's egg head, but more wide oval.
Danielle
Dec 21, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
Too young for preschool and possibly toddler, but a great book nonetheless.
Andie
Jul 19, 2012 Andie rated it really liked it
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. Super cute. Makes me laugh over and over again. Weeeee!!!!
Jeremy
Nov 07, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: baby
A cute story for babies, ideal for getting them psyched up for bath time.
  • Trains Go
  • Are You a Cow?
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Uh-oh!
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Baby Faces
  • Hug Time
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
  • White on Black
  • Tuck Me In!
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Ten In The Bed
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer of the books Blankie and Big Little. Leslie Patricelli grew up in Seattle, Washington close to Pine Lake. At college, Leslie Patricelli majored in Communications at the University of Washington. She became an advertising copywriter after college then became a ski instructor in Italy. Leslie Patricelli is also an illustrator for children. She created and ani ...more
More about Leslie Patricelli...

Leslie Patricelli Board Books (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Baby Happy Baby Sad