Start by marking “Potty ” as Want to Read:
Potty

Potty (Leslie Patricelli Board Books)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
A new toddler title charts a crucial achievement.

There comes a point in a toddler’s life when going in one’s diaper is only one possible option, and the question must be raised: Should I go in my potty? With pitch-perfect humor and pacing, Leslie Patricelli follows the inner dialogue (sure to have little ones shouting responses) and hilarious actions of everyone’s favorit
Board book, 28 pages
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Potty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potty

The Silly Potty Story by Vanessa RousePotty by Leslie PatricelliBig Boy Potty by Mary    LeeThe Boss of the Potty by Henry AabbThe Poo Poo Fairy by Mary Harper Dick
Best Kids Potty Training Book
2nd out of 12 books — 8 voters
Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry AllardClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCaps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
2 year list for Miguel
44th out of 44 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Aug 03, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, potty-books
Patricelli's darling little baby decides to take the diaper off and potty. Simple and fun, as with all her books.
Milo
Dec 23, 2012 Milo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Potty training toddlers
Recommended to Milo by: Mama bought it for me for potty training
I think this book is FUNNY. When I choose this book from the shelf, I love to look at the page where the little kid says, "Bye, bye diaper." I ask my Mama and Papa, "Why does he say, 'bye-bye' to his diaper?" Then I start to laugh and laugh. I also like to sit with this book when I am on my potty chair. It has a great balance of text to picture ratio for a toddler. I love the simplistic drawings. Most of all, I am so excited that the kid in the story goes potty and everyone celebrates.
ThatLeo
(mostly giggling)

UNDIES!!!!!!
Stephanie Middleton
Jan 29, 2011 Stephanie Middleton rated it really liked it
Patricelli's books are so darn cute. Elliott just LOVES the baby featured in many of her colorful board books, probably because of his adorable mug and because she can relate so well to his antics. This is the one potty book she has really fallen in love with, and makes us read again and again while she sits there so cute on her OWN potty. In fact, we were reading this one that one amazing day when she - just like the character she loves - actually peed in her little toilet!
Athena
Sep 30, 2014 Athena rated it really liked it
Mommy only reads this to me while I'm sitting on my toilet, because it's a special book about learning to use the toilet. If I go to the toilet without it, I always get up and run around and find it and then come back, because I like to read it. Did you know the baby in the story is also reading a book about pottying while the baby tries to potty?
Trevor Lalish-menagh
Aug 08, 2013 Trevor Lalish-menagh rated it it was amazing
My son loves to read this on the potty. Great for toilet training.
Danielle
When to ditch the diaper? Only a toddler knows when the time is right, but when the time gets close Potty will be there to encourage our young future potty users along. Go along with Baby as he discovers what it means to go on the potty instead of outside like a dog or in a litter box like a kitty, but on the potty like a big kid. From potty time with book in hand and kitty and doggie napping at his feet all the way to Baby’s first pair of underpants. Show your toddler just what it means to lose ...more
Jessica Gilbert
Jun 20, 2016 Jessica Gilbert rated it liked it
My almost two year old has memorized this book and loves when she gets to the "tinkle, tinkle, toot" page. When we saw this book at the library, she yelled, "POTTY!". As silly a critique as it may seem, I wish that the book has something about being a big boy/girl, the reward at the end is "undies" and not very motivating to my toddler. However, she will read this book to herself and give me a few minutes to have "mommy time" so I won't complain too much.
Alexis
POTTY is my daughter's favorite book. I bought it when she turned 1 along with a potty thinking we would read it in a few months. She pulled it right off the shelf, though, and has continued to give it to me to read at least ten times a day. The art work is "simple" and colorful. The story has true conflict and a narrative arc. The little one going potty is adorable. We root for him and always end up cheering at the end.
I've bought four more books written and illustrated by Leslie Patricelli si
jacky
Nov 04, 2011 jacky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
April 2011 - This was an alright potty book. It falls into the general introduction to the potty category. The baby tries to decide where to go potty, then waits and waits until he goes in the potty. No info on the finer points, like toilet paper or hand washing or body parts. This seems like a good one to read when just introducing the idea of the potty, not for the hard core middle of training.

Nov 2011 - So, now that we starting some potty training, I must adjust my rating. Natalie loves this
Eshaneh
Oct 11, 2014 Eshaneh rated it it was amazing
Perfect for our two-year-old. He was using the potty regularly at 21 months, then we went on a trip and there was no potty there. When we came back, the potty was new again, and he refused to sit on it. This book is helping him have a more friendly relationship with the potty again. He asks to read "the toilet books" several times a day, and this new book is already a favorite.
Brian
Mar 03, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
I still haven't decided how I feel about this book. I understand the reasons for writing it and I'm hopeful that in a couple months it will prove helpful to my potty-training son. But there's something disturbing about two panels of drawings of a baby on a potty ending with the baby asleep. And I'm not sure I would use the same word choice to describe the "events" that are the center of the story. If the euphemisms aren't your euphemisms, then you either have to take the time to try to explain t ...more
Racquel
Dec 12, 2015 Racquel rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Jason Luu
May 14, 2015 Jason Luu rated it really liked it
My son loves this book, it was the first book he's ever "read" (or memorized completely front to back and recited back to me) out loud to me. All of Leslie's books have excellent artwork, simple language, and are relatable to babies and toddlers alike.
Wendy
Dec 15, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
Having a younger one potty-training, I didn't really want a book that makes a huge deal about being a "big" kid using the potty. This is a cute book with the baby realizing there's an option other than going in a diaper. My daughter laughs at the page with the baby doing the potty dance! She also loves the last page (undies!) for pointing out the various designs since she knows what some of them are (stars, puppy, fish).

I don't care for the page with the multiple image spread or the "tinkle" "to
P.G.  Sundling
Mar 12, 2016 P.G. Sundling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My daughter loves this book. After reading this book she went to the drawer where her undies are and pulled them out to show me. This book resonated with her young mind to teach her the idea of potty training. We're going to try it in a few months.
Rickey
Aug 18, 2014 Rickey rated it it was amazing
Our little boy liked this so much that we read through it twice in one sitting.

For what it is, for a toddler and his daddy, this gets five stars. (Our little guy got even more excited to sit on the toilet. That, of course, is much appreciated.)
Robert Beveridge
Oct 02, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Leslie Patricelli, Potty (Candlewick, 2010)

Of the batch of library books we got out this time (and as I write this, I'm three batches behind, I think), Potty was both my favorite and the Bean's. The illustrations are engaging and fun, our toddler narrator has a quick wit about him (and wonderful facial expressions), and the story is very simple without ever feeling like the author is talking down to her audience. We read this one at least a dozen times the first time we got it out of the library
Drew Graham
Mar 15, 2016 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Time to learn to use the potty! But when and and where and how??

Yes, this is happening these days, and this is one of the better potty books we've found. I like how it relates that lots of creatures use the potty in their own way, and the illustrations are especially engaging. The Undies page is great.
Gianina
Feb 10, 2016 Gianina rated it did not like it
Found the illustrations and teaching to be too simplistic to really help but maybe just as an introduction of what a potty is to a younger child it could be alright but there are so many other more clever ones, meh.
Patrick M.
Dec 15, 2015 Patrick M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My daughter loves this book. She points to the baby on the cover and says "baby!", she cheers with the baby's family when he/she goes potty, and she yells out "UNDIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!" at the very end.
gina
Jul 16, 2015 gina added it
Shelves: children, board-book
Woods could have cared less about this book. I'll have to try again when he's closer to being potty trained. He's no where near ready so trying to get him to even look at the book was too much work.
Silva
Jul 11, 2016 Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute

My son really was happy when the main character baby finally went to the potty. We cheered! Lol The pictures of the animals kept his interest.
Wench
Jan 11, 2016 Wench rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-of-wench, 2016
My best friend's mom calls this "the potty anxiety book" and YES. ACCURATE. Also p cute, and the 20-month-old Velociraptor loves it. I loved The Man's bemusement at UNDIES.
kacie
Dec 31, 2015 kacie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really?????

I can't believe someone published this. My kids require more substance than this provides. The art isn't even intriguing. Waste of money.
Nick
Nov 24, 2015 Nick rated it liked it
Big bonus points for the page of UNDIES! at the end, but there's only so much you can say about illustrations of a kid sitting and waiting on the potty.
Julia
Patricelli's art is always fun and accessible (I'm also a big fan of "Quiet Loud"). This one really makes my kiddo laugh.
Steven R. McEvoy
Dec 31, 2012 Steven R. McEvoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Life is changing now when I take the three kids to the book store; even the one and a half year old wanders around and wants to pick her own books. This was the first book she chose to read. This book was a great read for her and for the older two. They remembered their training time. The story is a fun read and well written. The illustrations are fun and the bright vibrant pallet will appeal to the young readers. But only time will tell if it will help, but either way an entertaining book the f ...more
Candace Hudson
Feb 11, 2016 Candace Hudson rated it it was amazing
My two year olds favorite book. Cute illustrations about using the potty.. He laughs at all the pictures.
Darlene
May 27, 2015 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My granddaughter LOVES this book and is asking to sit on the potty (and used it once) at 21 months ole!
  • That's Not My Train
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
  • In My Tree
  • Trains Go
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • Duck Goes Potty
  • All Fall Down
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • If You Were My Bunny
  • Yawn
  • Potty Time with Elmo (Sesame Street)
  • Black on White
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer of the books Blankie and Big Little. Leslie Patricelli grew up in Seattle, Washington close to Pine Lake. At college, Leslie Patricelli majored in Communications at the University of Washington. She became an advertising copywriter after college then became a ski instructor in Italy. Leslie Patricelli is also an illustrator for children. She created and ani ...more
More about Leslie Patricelli...

Leslie Patricelli Board Books (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Baby Happy Baby Sad