Start by marking “Mr. Elephanter” as Want to Read:
Mr. Elephanter

Mr. Elephanter

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Come visit the Elephantery, where Mr. Elephanter looks after the peppy elephanties! A charming, quirky picture book debut by an acclaimed cartoonist.

Early every morning, Mr. Elephanter arrives at the Elephantery to care for his diminutive charges, who greet him with toots and trumpets. There are hugs and hellos all around! They all eat pancakes, paddle and splash in the ne
Published September 28th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Elephanter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Elephanter

Jaimee Huskins
This is a cute funny tale about a teacher named Mr. Elepanter who teaches elephanties at the elephantery. The words they the author chose to use is quite cute. Using the word elephant in his words make this way entertaining and should make any child giggle on how ridiculous the words are. The pictures are simple yet perfect for the book. They are very cartoon like. The illustrator is award-winning cartoonist. Some of her other books she illustrated are Long Tail Kitty. The book starts before the ...more
Andrea Davis
Very cute storybook about all the fun and love shared between a caretaker and his little elephanties! With the addition of the adorable illustrations and a few made up words; this book makes a great addition to any child's collection. It could probably be aimed anywhere from K-2nd grade.
I just couldn't get into it. Mr. Elephanter seems like a nanny or preschool teacher, and I couldn't escape my thoughts on how generally those jobs are little valued in our society (and associated with women). As he's taking the "elephanties" around town I was wondering what this book was saying. Was it making a statement about hiring care for one's children? I don't think it was, but the topic can't really be neutral in my mind, what with the gendered aspects of the work traditionally and the wa ...more
What did I just read?
Would it be possible to convince you that a pastel-hued book about a man who cares for three baby elephants, taking them to the park and cooking them pancakes, isn't overly precious? Something odd in the gentle illustrations prevents that, instead making this a good book for children nervous about a new caregiver. A chance meeting with an old friend in the park may also make Mr. Elephanter a good book for a child having to say goodbye and move on from a now-beloved caregiver, too.
Review to follow soon.
A cute story of a man who takes care of baby elephants all day. He arrives early to serve breakfast, spends the day playing with them, acting like a bridge and taking them to the park. He brings them home for a nap and then cleans up their messes and bandages boo-boos.

Cute, but rather non-substantial. Kinda boring.
I read this to two young children, and both loved the tiny elephants who ate banana pancakes and got into trouble while Mr. Elephanter was napping. It was fun to look at the details in the artwork--I'm looking forward to reading it again and looking at the pictures a little longer this time.
Kristina Jean Lareau
The illustrations in this picturebook are darling! Rendered in watercolor and colored pencil, it was a delight to peruse the pages. The story itself, however, was completely lacking in any plot, storyline or conflict.
This sweet yet quirky book elicits both giggles and awwws as it follows Mr. Elephanter through his very important (and exhausting) job of caring for a crew of the tiniest and most lovable baby elephants ever.
The elephanties are adorable. Mr. Elephanter himself occasionally reminds me of den Führer because of his mustache, which is unfortunate, as Mr. Elephanter himself seems quite charming, if odd.
Pack children
My favorite Picture Book so far this year. Sweet and simple and brilliant and we've read it over and over at our house- may need to buy a copy for myself and most everybody else I know. Jesse
This was a bit of an odd little book about a man who takes care of tiny elephants. I liked the pictures and the story really caught my son's attention.
And odd but sweet little story about the man who takes care of the baby elephants. For those looking for care-taker stories this would work.
The elephanties are the cutest ever! I love it when they get rowdy, break a vase, and have to all sit in tiny time out chairs.
Brittany Mckinsey
Gobble up banana cakes, visit a park, take naps, and paddle in the pool. Celebrates teachers and caretakers!
Jesse Figuera
My favorite picture book of the year so far. I want to be Lark Pien's best friend.
Michele J
OK, I guess I am a kid at heart because I love this book! It is so cute!
This completely charmed me.

I mean, tiny elephanties who tootle!!
Very cute - fun illustrations combining animals and people
Kind of weird in a nice day, might pair this with Happy Hippotami.
Blake Hobbs
This book was bizarre. It had made-up animals called elephanties.
I have found my dream job - Taking care of the elephanties all day!
I read this book twice today! (Once aloud and once to myself.)
A very cute, nicely illustrated picture book.
I'm in love with this adorable, weird story.
Nov 17, 2010 Sarah marked it as to-order