Start by marking “Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems” as Want to Read:
Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems

Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
This wide-ranging collection of bedtime poems is an inspired baby gift that will find a treasured place on children’s nightstands everywhere.

From the hoot of an owl to the horns of the city, from children giggling in the bath to the hushed notes of a lullaby, here is an exquisite anthology that captures the universal poetry of bedtime. Expertly gathered by Jane Yolen and A
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Switching on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Switching on the Moon

Maria
Feb 24, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
What I Can Tell You: The book is listed as a poetry book for ages 0-5 and is full of colorful, fun and whimsical illustrations however, I think this book goes wayyyy beyond 5. Last year, my son's Kindergarten class started writing poetry and since then, it is something he really enjoys. He is almost 8 years old and loves this book and he has read it over 10 times this week. My friend's daughter almost 10 was here and she loved it too.

This is a great collection of fun, sweet, lovely poems. It is
Elisa
Apr 24, 2015 Elisa rated it it was amazing
This is without doubt a family favorite. It has a superb poem selection, it is ordered by topic, which makes routines easy, and the illustrations are very cute.
The poem selection is fantastic. English is not my native language, and so these poems were all new to me. But they have been selected tastefully: they are very rhythmic, and fun. Many of them are short, especially at the beginning, and this makes it easier for a child. There are more complex poems at the back as well. Of course, everyone
Clara
Mar 21, 2015 Clara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Switching on the Moon collected by Jane Yolen and Andrew Fusek Peters

This is an anthology from different poets in which Jane Yolen and Andre Fusek collected 60 classic and contemporary poems with the purpose of representing a variety of poems perfect for sharing at bedtime. Its contents three chapters: “Going to bed”, “Sweet Dreams”, and “In the Night”. I like there are poems that reflect what children do before (getting ready to bed), during their sleep (dreaming), and also what really happens
James Moore
Apr 30, 2014 James Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: story-books, poetry
A collection of rhymes and poems all based around going to bed. I picked this book of poems because I felt it fit the requirement of the books I was looking for that would fit poetry. When I read this I was still student teaching kindergarten and it worked really well with helping students learn fluency in reading. I had several days during my teaching that I would have the class either sit on the carpet or at their desks and listen to several of the poems in the book then ask what they think ea ...more
Lisa Carroll
Apr 12, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it it was amazing
This poetry anthology is one of the best that I have read in a very long time. I have always loved poetry. I remember reading poems in my high school years searching for quotes that I could put in letters and emails. This book of poetry was created for the youngest of readers, but I feel as though this collection is timeless and that people of all ages can enjoy the beauty of the poems included in this anthology. There are many classics int his book. The pictures were funny and charming and full ...more
Autumn Blues Reviews
Apr 08, 2011 Autumn Blues Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Just a beautiful inviting book of poems, simple dreamy illustrations set the mood for bedtime cuddling.

Relax with your child and together share a trip through a dimension of rhyme while reading these charming poems. Switching on the Moon consists of three sections, the first section is called "Going to Bed" the second "Sweet Dreams and the third "In the Night" for a total of 60 poems in all. These are the sweetest poems you can read to a child. The poems are short so an infant will find the rhym
CB
Jun 14, 2011 CB rated it really liked it
Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems is a fine introduction to the world of classic poetry, which has been cleverly disguised in the whimsical illustrations of G. Brian Karas. Compilers Jane Yolen and Andrew Fusek Peters have gathered sixty poems into three broad sections: “Going to Bed”, “Sweet Dreams”, and “In the Night”. Amongst this collection you will find the likes of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Sylvia Plath, and Langston Hughes as well as contemporary writers like Lee Benn ...more
Cheryl Belt-Jackson
May 01, 2015 Cheryl Belt-Jackson rated it it was amazing
Bedtime poems
All children
Awonderful collection of fifty-six bedtime poems by forty-four authors.
Quite a few poems that you may have your own childhood memories. What a lovely way to end the day. This also a great way to introduce young readers to poetry. Classroom activites could include different bedtime routines as well as to draw a picture of your favorite poem.
Heidi
An enjoyable collection of night-related poems. Perfect for the night Summer Reading theme! Poems and illustrations were overall sweet and gentle. There were some poems I very much liked, and some that I did not. The illustrations were cute, and familiar--I'm trying to remember all of the other works I've read with the same illustrator (G. Brian Karas).

Might be fun to read a few of these in a preschool storytime, or other storytime setting--especially a PJ one!

A nice addition to the Beehive nomi
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah BT rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was intrigued when I saw this book reviewed on Booklist's Bookends blog. Cindy and Lynn recommended this book as a baby gift and since I have a lot of friends popping out kids this Spring, I thought I'd check it out.

I agree it would make a delightful baby gift! This collection of poems is thoughtfully compiled and the subjects range from the moon rising to brushing teeth to bathtime. There are also a great variety of poems-short and long, some that rhyme, some funny, some a bit more serious.
Monique Welch
Aug 12, 2014 Monique Welch rated it it was amazing
Great bedtime book!
Lenore Webb
Sep 29, 2010 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
"Switching on the Moon' is a nice size, bright illustrated and numerous poems to read in that lyrical fashion to lull a child to sleep. Now this is a large book complete with an index of all the poems. I love that I will be using this book for many years to come with all of my grandbabes, present and ones to come. It is also a lil heavy so be ready to have a knee to help prop it up. But it is perfect to help get that quiet tone to lull your sweet angels off to la-la land. It worked like a dream ...more
Christina
Apr 05, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing

Mermaid's Lullaby

Hush, foam mocker,
Sleep, wave maker,
Close your eyes and dream,
Tide breaker.

Be your finny mother's
Sleeper.

- Jane Yolen

The Dream Keeper

Bring me all your dreams,
You dreamers,
Bring me all your
Heart melodies
That I may wrap them
In a blue cloud-cloth
Away from the too-rough fingers
Of the world.

-Langston Hughes
Miri
Oct 06, 2012 Miri rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic collection of poetry about night and sleep, including poems from authors like Sylvia Plath and Langston Hughes, as well as popular children's authors like Rick Walton and Jane Yolen.

Wordless Words

Wordless words.
A tuneless tune.
Blow out the sun.
Draw down the shade.
Turn off the dog.
Snap on the stars.
Unwrap the moon.
Wish leafy, sleeping trees goodnight.
And listen
To the day shut tight.

—Karla Kuskin
Stan
Feb 21, 2013 Stan rated it liked it
Poetry often loses me, but this poetry I relate to: simple, direct, playful. Here are many wonderful poems and many wonderful illustrations. I just revisited this book of poems a little over a year from my first reading. The book remains delightful. M favorites are Sleeping Outdoors, In the Night, The Bat, and Wonder. Still, as good as the poems are, it is the illustrations that bring the feeling of Switching on the Moon.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
This is an impressive collection of bedtime poetry. The illustrations are peaceful, dreamy, blue-toned, and full of stars…perfect pairing of text and pictures.

A few of my favorite poems from this collection: The Starlighter by Arthur Guiterman; Go to Bed, Tom by Anonymous; My Bed by Tony Mitton; Mermaid’s Lullaby by Jane Yolen; Night Sounds by Roger Stevens; and Rain Song by Andrew Fusek Peters.
OCLS Staff Picks
Jun 10, 2012 OCLS Staff Picks rated it it was amazing
Just right for reading aloud with preschoolers. These poems play with magical images of the night sky as well as with rituals of bath and bed.

Dream Big (Summer Reading Program 2012) recommended book

Available from OCLS in print.
Julie
Oct 05, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My 6-year-old son and I just finished reading through these poems at bedtime. Even though it's a "very first" book, he loved them as a bigger kid too. There were a few funny selections, but mostly they were quiet and sweet poems, with perfectly matched illustrations by Karas. It'd be a great baby gift to last through the years.
Katterley
Jul 14, 2012 Katterley rated it it was amazing
I love this book and have been reading so many poems out of it to the children in the summer reading program (Dream Big: Read!) Lots of great dream poems, moon poems for moon week, star poems for star week, nightmares, bats, owls, this books will be used all summer long and would be wonderful for bedtimes! Highly recommended.
Amila Karabegovic
Oct 19, 2012 Amila Karabegovic rated it it was amazing
Switching On the Moon, is a bedtime story that gets kids ready for bed. It has great pictures. Kids can look out the window at night and see the moon talked about in the book. This is a great book to read to kids right before going to bed. It is easy for them to follow along, and read along.
KidsNonFiction Teton County Library
Apr 19, 2011 KidsNonFiction Teton County Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
J 811 Switching
Kay's rating: 5 stars

A wonderful book to share with your little one at bedtime. The poems are short and all deal with bedtime themes. You and your little one my find several favorite poems that you will want to repeat nightly.
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 31, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
My daughter and I read most of these poems over the course of a week. She and I really enjoyed the easy cadence of the poems and the beautiful illustrations. This is a big book, but taken in small chunks, it is perfect for even the youngest child.
Peanut
Sep 26, 2013 Peanut rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-aloud, bed-time
MOMMY: This is a 5 for me. Beautifully illustrated and full of lovely poetry for all kinds of bedtime occasions.

PEANUT: He always enjoys this book but never chooses it first. I wonder if that has more to do with the weight of it :)
Lisa
Mar 27, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection of bedtime poems--some I've never heard before. I also enjoyed Brian Karas's art. Much softer than what he usually does, very comforting. I plan to check out more work of some of the poets featured in this book.
Melissa
Oct 27, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Nicely chosen (short and sweet but not dull), nicely illustrated, nicely arranged. Great job with a poetry collection just right for the youngest listeners. Yay for introducing children to poetry right from the start!
Donalyn
Beautiful illustrations and thoughtfully selected poems create a treasure to own and reread with your children. Includes poems about bedtime, dreams, and night from classic and contemporary writers.
Boni
Sep 30, 2010 Boni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prev-library-rec
Lovely collection of poems. This would make a terrific new-baby gift book. And I'm already a fan of Karas, but I think this is his best work yet!
Amy Carr
Sep 24, 2012 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
This was a truly beautiful book of "bedtime" poems...perfect for snuggling with your little one and reading before bed. Loved this collection!
Angie
I love poetry. The poems in this compilation are some of my favorites. I have also discovered new ones which speak to me as much as the old ones.
Mariah Christensen
Jun 05, 2013 Mariah Christensen rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this children's book of bedtime poems. It is a wonderful collection with peaceful, beautiful illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...