Don't Slam the Door!

Don't Slam the Door!

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Slamming the screen door sets off a comical chain of cause-and-effect in this rollicking tale of a rambunctious family.

A slamming door may not seem like a big deal, but in this escalating tale, it can have far-reaching (and very funny) consequences — including a limping, yelping Pa; a scared, bee-stung bear; and a whole house plunged into pandemonium! In lively rhyme that’...more
Published August 10th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Slam the Door!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Slam the Door!

Sunday
FUN READ ALOUD - GREAT CAUSE/EFFECT DISCUSSION
From School Library Journal
PreSchool-Grade 2 In this rhyming story, Chaconas brings the domino effect to the farm. When a dog causes a screen door to slam and wake the cat, there's no end to the havoc. The cat puts knots in Ma's knitting yarn, resulting in painful lumpy socks that cause Dad to bump into a beehive, and so on: you get the picture. By the end of the story the cows are back in the barn, the feathers back in the pillow, and the pig-tailed...more
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Don't Slam the Door! / Dori Chanconas. / 2010.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
"A cumulative, rhyming tale of a slamming door which wakes a cat, setting into motion an absurd chain of events and resulting in chaos" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
animals, family, chaos, cumulative tale

Review citation:
"The author's bouncy couplets are rhythmically consistent—all the better for reading aloud. Hillenbrand's mi...more
Shannon
I wish I knew how to describe the rhyme scheme used in this book. Reviews call it "lively," so I'll just stick with that. I'd love love love to have students perform this book as reader's theater. I'd love that a lot. The cat in the story has great personality, and the book might be useful in a discussion about Appalachian culture and stereotypes. (Don't get me wrong, I am totally fine with the setting -- I like that it doesn't just take place in an plain suburban house... Although I suppose it'...more
Molly
Great for take charge kids! Repetitive text makes for a nice read aloud. Nice choice for farm theme; kids in charge theme; cows, cats, bees, bears, dogs theme; yarn theme, etc.
Sandy Brehl
The description "rollicking romp" is used often for picture books, but it should have been coined especially of this one. The watchful, consequence-predicting your narrator may be a bit overly concerned about running the show at home, yet even when her dire predictions don't occur, others more worrisome do. never fear, though, she regains control of the household when all seems lost.. mostly.
This is pure entertainment in well-executed text, suitably comic illustrations, and wacky mayhem. it work...more
Danica Midlil
I'm tickled that there is so much knitting in this delightful book! Unfortunately, it's not being portrayed accurately but that's typical. The rhyme is bouncy and catchy and I love that it's the little girl who's trying to avert disaster instead of the mother for once. Despite her efforts, no one listens to her.
Reminds me of another wonderful sequence book which leads to messy chaos inside the house, Dirty Birdy Feet by Rick WinterDirty Birdy Feet.
Great book for story time! Can't wait to try it![
Heather
Great for cause and effect, as well a prediction.
Dolly
Aug 06, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining book about cause and effect. The rhythmic, consecutive narrative is humorous and fun to read aloud. And the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. We really enjoyed reading this book together. We've enjoyed reading books by Dori Chaconas and we will certainly look for more of her books at our local library.
Bree
I wasn't a fan of the illustrations. It's just not the type I am interested in. I go for cute, bright, and sometimes I prefer a more modern way of drawing characters. This book I was not fond of the bossy tone of the girl. I don't like to encourage the bossy side of my child and this book gives too much of that tone. It is just my opinion so you may find it the opposite as I do.
Tam
Great book for my 5-year-old. He thought the situations were hilarious.

Excerpt from the book:
"Please don't slam the door!
Don't slam that old screen door!
A slamming door will wake the cat,
and heaven knows, we don't want that,
so please don't slam that door!"
Paula

A cumulative, rhyming tale of a slamming door which wakes a cat, setting into motion an absurd chain of events and resulting in chaos.
Lovely story with great illustrations accompanying the book in rhyme of a girl who tells everyone what not to do.
Crystal
I always knew cats were evil!(lol) Waking the cat sets into motion an absurd chain of events, resulting in chaos. It is told in rhyme with bright bold illustrations done in mixed media.
I quite enjoyed it!
Elizabeth
This was simply a delight--the illustrations and the fun language are satisfying. Kids love an explanation for why NOT to do something. A cumulative tale that can start all over again. Very wonderful.
Stephanie
My mother would get a kick out of this book. She said it probably hundreds of times when we were kids. Cute illustrations and nice read aloud rhythm.
Tricia
Out on the farm, the slam of the screen door sets off a chain reaction of events. Enjoyable readaloud nicely complemented by bold and amusing illustrations.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is a fun cause and effect book that feels like a fun folktale. I liked the illustrations and especially the color choice for Pa's knitted socks.
Shira
This is rhyning book that list the events that may occur if you slam the door. The events that occur in the book are chaotic.
Anne
Great illustrations. Not so great cause and effect story about waking the cat, and tangling the yarn, and so forth.
Rachel
Nice play on adult behavior form childs point of view. Cumulative action, rhyme fails on some pages
Julie
Good book to use to exemplify humor, rhyming verse and cause and effect.
Cymiki
very cute. verse format will make for a good tele-tale read.
Carol Royce Owen
A fun story in verse of cause and effect
LoriAnn Kocialski
VERY CUTE BOOK ... CLOSE TO DR. SEUSS READING!
Kim
The dog slams the door and mayham begins
Rachel
Cause and effect rhyming story.
Kate Hastings
Could be fun for noisy storytime
Tara
Tara added it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dori Chaconas learned story pacing from an early age while entertaining her younger siblings. The author of such picture books as ON A WINTRY MORNING, ONE LITTLE MOUSE, and MOMMA, WILL YOU?, she lives in Germantown, Wisconsin.
More about Dori Chaconas...
Cork & Fuzz Cork and Fuzz: Short and Tall Cork and Fuzz: Finders Keepers Cork and Fuzz: Good Sports (Viking Easy-to-Read) Cork and Fuzz: The Collectors (Cork and Fuzz)