Start by marking “Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher, #18)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher, #18)

Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher #18)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,806 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Dot unfolded the note. "He says that his married couple will look after the divine Miss Fisher...I'll leave out a bit...their name is Johnson and they seem very reliable." Phryne got the door open at last. She stepped into the hall. "I think he was mistaken about that," she commented. Traveling at high speed in her beloved Hispano-Suiza with her maid and trusted companion ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Chest, please sign up.

KingDingbat Specifically, I can't figure out the purpose of her "big scheme": why she staged the treasure hunt with the gold she borrowed, what she and Ruth and…moreSpecifically, I can't figure out the purpose of her "big scheme": why she staged the treasure hunt with the gold she borrowed, what she and Ruth and Tinker were doing trudging around in the mud, and what the whole point of the cave was. There didn't seem to be a purpose or result of that event. I feel like I missed an entire chapter or something, but I re-read over half the book to see if I could figure it out and still didn't come to a conclusion. It just seemed completely out of place and pointless to the story, not because it wasn't enjoyable, but because it didn't DO anything, or result in anything at all.

Also the whole pigtail snipper mystery seemed to be unclear too. Was the person who slit Lily's throat the same person who snipped all the other pigtails? We know there was someone else buying the hair, but the solved mystery seemed to imply that he was only interested in Lily and targeted her simply because he was infatuated with her. Did his infatuation travel from girl to girl? Did I miss an explanation here too?(less)

Nikki
Dead Man’s Chest takes Phryne from the comforts of her own home to an attempted holiday, much in the vein of Peter and Harriet’s honeymoon in Sayers’ Lord Peter books, that is to say: a busman’s holiday. For all that, it’s a reasonably relaxed mystery, without too many dead bodies or late night attacks. There’s one or two nastier elements, but for the most part it focuses on Ruth getting to play house. In fact, the nastier element is almost entirely glossed over…

In this book, a new character joi
Miriam
Apr 03, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This rather relaxed mystery takes place immediately after the events in Murder on a Midsummer Night. Deciding that her domestic circle is in need of some relaxation after her most recent, rather trying, investigation, Miss Fisher takes her companion and two adopted daughters for a month at the seaside. But when she arrives she finds her borrowed house unlocked and the servants missing. Foul play? Of course! But of what nature? Since the Johnsons seem to have left under their own steam this myste ...more
Marianne
Sep 28, 2014 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead Man’s Chest is the 18th book in the Phryne Fisher series by popular Australian author, Kerry Greenwood. It is January, and Phryne has decided to take her family to Queenscliff on holiday while her bathroom is renovated. But their arrival at the beachside house borrowed from Mr Thomas, an anthropologist currently on a field trip in deepest Northern Territory, instantly immerses them in a mystery. The Johnsons, butler and cook, are absent, along with all their goods and chattels. Their immedi ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Five stars for this instalment with no sex, no gore, just a good read. I begin to understand why those who started with the TV series dislike the books so much. I did see the filmed version of this book before reading it and boy, did they ever change it!!

Phryne goes on holiday with her family only to find that the house a stranger offered her for the stay is empty of food and domestic staff. Said total stranger is off to the back blocks, and she's not even sure where he is, let alone how to reac
LJ
First Sentence: Dot opened her eyes.

The Honorable Phryne Fisher, private investigator, takes her family on vacation to a house she’s been lent in Queenscliff, Australia. The owner had promised Phryne, her maid Dot, adopted daughters Ruth and Jane, and dog Molly, would be well looked after by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson. However, when they arrive, the Johnson’s and their possessions are gone, the larder is completely empty and the back door wide open. The family settles in to make do while Phryne tries
Kathryn
A holiday by the sea, missing servants, a phantom pigtail-snipper (I didn’t think the solution for that one was very well-explained), a nosy old lady, a group of surrealists (and any time that they spent in the story certainly made that part very surreal) and a movie being shot about pirates’ treasure - lots going on in this Phryne Fisher. Lots of food, as usual, cooked by Ruth since the cook of the holiday house Phryne had rented was missing. It made me want to go on holiday at the beach!!
Jann Barber
Jun 11, 2012 Jann Barber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I've said before, I would love to be Phryne. Barring that, I would love to be her best friend and fellow sleuth.

This is the 18th entry in the series and picks up where "Murder on a Midsummer Night" left off. Phryne had indicated the need for a vacation, so she leaves Mr. and Mrs. Butler at the house and takes Dot, Jane, Ruth, and Molly (the dog) to a house at Queenscliff (offered to her by a character from said previous book).

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, the live-in couple at the house, were nowhere
Karen Book-Vixen
Phryne finds herself on holidays with a mystery to solve with the help of some new friends.

We get to meet Phryne two adopted daughters and also what they like and don't like.

Great story and the first where Phryne has no man to play with keep her mind off the Mystery.
Kate
Apr 10, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phryne on vacation, Pirates and oh, oh, oh the food!
CatBookMom
2016 - This book always has something interesting to find, even when it's a re-re-read.

2014 - Followed a line from another book to this (about Jane refusing to be suckered into doing the neighbor boys' homework), so decided to read it again. May listen again, too.
Sally
Nov 30, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this on audio book. It was really more of a 3.5 but I enjoyed it more than most pf the Phryne books (and I always do enjoy them). It was a nice change to be in another setting, with much of the baggage laid aside. It was good to see Hugh again. Tinker and Gaston were engaging characters and I did enjoy the details of Ruth's kitchen. As Phryne says... she's got through a case without a murder. Or...

Just one thing though; if Ruth and Jane are Phryne's adopted daughters, why on Earth do they
Jigme Datse
I first picked up this book probably about 2 months ago, but didn't get to it. I had been watching *Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries* on WGBH, and looked to see what they had in the library for books which the series is based on.

Oddly, I'm not quite sure how to review this. I could tell you all kinds of things about the story, but I'd rather not, because well that would be telling, "spoilers" as a certain Doctor Who character says. So I will *try* to stay away from that.

One thing I noticed, it ki
Sally906
Oct 19, 2011 Sally906 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
Kerry Greenwood’s Phryne Fisher series is one that is top of my “buy it immediately a new book is issued” list. This latest exciting installment lives up to the high standard of 1920s high jinks I have come to expect as Ms Fisher fights injustice with her pearl handled pistol, kind heart and quick wit.

DEAD MAN’S CHEST, the eighteenth in the series, opens with Phryne travelling to the resort town of Queenscliff with her faithful maid Dot, dog Molly and two adopted daughters, Ruth and Jane, for a
Pmalcpoet Pat Malcolm
I always enjoy another chance to visit with my friend Phryne Fisher, star of one of the wonderful mystery series by Kerry Greenwood. The books are a joy to read for their interesting characters, beautifully portrayed period settings, and sometimes wacky who-dun-it plots. This time Phryne is on vacation at the shore while her Melbourne house is being remodeled. Phryne has promised Dot, her ladies companion, as they were called in those days, that there will be no murders involved. And there aren' ...more
Charmain Sheely
It was a little different from the TV show. All the same I enjoyed reading this in spite of the fact it made me crave tea and food. I look forward to reading more from this series and the author.
KingDingbat
I rarely ever rate a Phryne Fisher book under 4 stars. I adore the series and Miss Fisher herself so much I have devoured every book in the series, except the last 2 which I'm working on at the moment.

I felt that this book's story was perfectly interesting and engrossing. Mystery can be fun without murder, (Well, almost without murder.) and I really enjoyed the time spent filling out characters. Dot and Hugh's romance was strengthened and Dot herself seemed to grow in this book quite a bit. Eve
Alison
Jan 08, 2016 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a couple of years since the last Phyrne Fisher novel from Kerry Greenwood, but Dead Man’s Chest has certainly been worth the wait. If you’re already a fan of this series, then you already have high expectations that will be delightfully met; if you’re not, then you really need to start!

I am quite astounded how Ms Greenwood manages to keep coming up with new scenarios for Phyrne. In Dead Man’s Chest the wonderful Phyrne packs up the family and heads off on a murder free vacation. It may
Eli
May 18, 2015 Eli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homegirls, so-clever
I love, love, love this book. I checked out all the Phryne Fishers I could find after seeing it recommended by a Fug National (I got a lot of my book recs from the comment section of gofugyourself.com. They're kindred spirits.) and that there was a show about her. I need to bingewatch the show. Phryne is a cool customer in 1920s Australia, thoroughly unconventional and unbothered by morals. She's tough, bitchy, funny, stylish, and brill. She could outdrink Nick and Nora Charles, and give them a ...more
Nancy
Jul 23, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is 117 degrees in the desert where I live, and like Phryne in Dead Man's Chest, I am looking for escape. She heads to a seaside get-away and I bury myself in a pile of Kerry Greenwood books. And, this has been my favorite so far.

I love Phryne Fisher for her intelligence, her style, her daring and her sense of fun. She often refers to "penny detective stories" and it feels like Greenwood is having a lot of fun writing her own current version of that flamboyant genre.

In this installment in the
Peggy
Nov 03, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to love about Phryne Fisher? She's capable in all things, smart, can fight off any assailant, maintains an active sex life, and keeps adding to her household as she meets numerous children in need of her brand of mothering. Which is to say, given responsibilities, education, plenty of delicious food, and allowed to help her to solve mysteries. Each additional member of Miss Fisher's entourage adds complexity and interest to the plot. This is becoming my new favorite mystery series
Ladysatel
Jan 26, 2016 Ladysatel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1920, australian
Brew a cup of tea, sit down in your favorite reading chair and be prepaped to spend time with Phryne Fisher as her family sans Mr and Mrs B move temporarily to the vacation area of Queensbridge. The B's are staying at home to supervise renovations at Phryne's house and Phryne takes this opportunity for a vacation.

She and her family will be staying at the home of a Mr. Thomas who she met at a party. He will be out of town on an anthropological expidition and has offered the services of his staff
Linda
Jul 21, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Poor Phryne...she cannot manage to elude murder and mayhem even while vacationing. Due to renovations being made to her bath at her Melbourne abode, Phyrne decides to borrow a house from her acquaintance Mr. Thomas and take the family to Queenscliff. Despite Mr. Thomas's assurances that the house will be ready and staffed by the Johnsons, Phryne and family arrive and find the house deserted. Dot, Jane and Ruth soon sort things out while Phyrne questions the neighbors about the Johnsons' disappea ...more
Susan
Feb 15, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adventure of Phryne's is a bit different. It doesn't start with a murder. It starts with Phryne taking a group of bullies to task as she and her entourage arrive to enjoy a nice holiday in Queenscliff, a seaport on Australia's coast.

Of couse, their stay on the seashore doesn't stay as peaceable as any of them want it to. Their seaside rental is supposed to come with a butler and cook, but they've disappeared. Why and how the Johnsons have disappeared gets even more curious when their dog s
Deanne
Oct 07, 2013 Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
Great fun though set away from Melbourne. Phryne takes a holiday with Dot, Ruth and Jane but the housekeeper of their rented holiday home is missing with her husband.
There's a few new characters, and I hope to see more of tinker her latest acquisition. Phryne seems to collect children.
Kimberly Ann
I want more of this story......

Phryne Fisher (flapper & P.I. extraordinaire) takes Ruth, Jane & Dot to Queenscliff on holiday, however when they arrive they find that the domestic staff of Mr. & Mrs. Johnson have taken a bunk along with their furniture.... Odd thing being Gaston, the Mrs. Johnson's much loved terrier has just shown up.

Being without help @ the height of the season Phryne takes on Tinker (Eddied a local ruffian) and Maire a young Irish woman. Ruth, Dot & Jane help
Jgrace
Dead Man’s Chest – Kerry Greenwood
Read by Stephanie Daniel
3 stars

This is the most recent book in the Phryne Fisher mystery series. These books are very enjoyable to read or listen to. Mostly I listen to them. The plots are very predictable, but the characters are lovable. Besides, sometimes it’s good to have a book that’s guaranteed to have a happy ending.
This book finds Phryne, her companion Dot, her adopted daughters and her dog, on holiday at the seaside. Who would have guessed it…… there’s
Vivienne
Once my car was returned I continued with this series of delightful Jazz Age mysteries as my audiobook-in-the-car. As I had also purchased the Kindle edition I decided to double up and both listen and read. I allowed my audiobook speed to dictate my reading and so each Sundays I read those pages that I've listened to during the week. I always found that there were a few details that I'd missed while driving so this arrangement worked well and I will probably continue to double up with the final ...more
therese
Jun 05, 2011 therese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love. These detective books, set in Melbourne in 1928, have everything I love in them - art, cooking, literature, beautiful things. Oh, and social justice and lefty politics. You rock, Kerry Greenwood.
Amy
Jul 24, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a series as long as the Phryne Fisher Murder Mysteries series (more than 20 books), there are bound to be some favorites and some duds. (Even the duds in this series are pretty good.) This is one of the really good ones: with an especially fun cast of supporting characters and a bit of extra attention to some of the recurring minor characters like Hugh Collins.

The arrival of the Fisher clan at their vacation home is a bit marred by the local servants' recent mysteries disappearance. Why and
Jennifer Garlen
Dec 17, 2015 Jennifer Garlen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This outing brings new characters into the Hon. Miss Phryne Fisher's wake but also offers lots of development for her adopted daughters, Jane and Ruth. I hope to see more of Tinker in future installments; he's a fun character and a nice counterpoint to the girls. The pirate treasure plot seems a little weak and slapdash compared to the main mysteries, but Greenwood clearly has pirates on her mind after hinting at them quite a bit in the previous adventure. As always, the lively period setting an ...more
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • Cat Telling Tales (Joe Grey, #17)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • The Attenbury Emeralds (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #3)
  • Time to Depart (Marcus Didius Falco, #7)
  • Secrets in Time
  • Tapestry
  • A Time of Secrets
  • Murder on the Caronia (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #4)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)

“Phryne was getting out of the car. Dot closed her eyes. Miss Fisher was about to happen to someone again.” 20 likes
“Lust was a reliable emotion, but greed was altogether simpler to satisfy and you got to keep your clothes on.” 4 likes