Start by marking “Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls” as Want to Read:
Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls

Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"With good judgment, little else matters. Without it, nothing else matters."
Whether we're talking about United States presidents, CEOs, Major League coaches, or wartime generals, leaders are remembered for their best and worst judgment calls. In the face of ambiguity, uncertainty, and conflicting demands, the quality of a leader's judgment determines the fate of the entir
Published November 1st 2007 by Portfolio (first published April 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment

Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it was only so so. For the most part the book is boring. This book is essentially a collection of stories from the authors' experiences and anecdotes about both good and bad leadership judgement calls and post-mortems of them. This book will not teach you how to make judgement calls though you can learn from the examples in this book. The story about the triage nurse shifting resources from an 80 year old man in cardiac arrest to a pregnant teenage girl with a bu ...more
David
Jul 23, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

THE best analysis on making the critical 'call'. Great framework explained with many interesting (famous) examples of success and failure. Even a handbook at the end. First, the Framework:

* Domain: people, strategy, crisis
* Phases: Pre, The Call, Execution
* Process: Sense, Frame, Mobilize, Call, Execute, Adjust
* Knowledge: Self, Social NW, Org, Contextual

Also
* Teachable POV: Criticality of story telling ability. Esp. by CEO
* Character: having clear value
* Courage: having the guts to make the ca
Bill Donhiser
I had this book on my to read shelf for a long time and finally decided to take it. it is well written and contains many interesting extensive case studies. The down side it is a little bit dated but that is my fault for waiting. The concept of a teachable point of view is great and it is worth the time.
Nick
Feb 10, 2008 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Judgment was hugely disappointing. Warren Bennis is a guru, and the book has been talked up no end. And to give it its due, the case studies are extensive, often fascinating, and well-researched. But the insights are so obvious as to be banal. We learn, for example, that leaders have to have "character and courage." And "values." Come on. The taxonomy of judgment, according to Bennis and Tichy include "pre-decision," the "call", and the "execution." There are 3 kinds of judgments that matter: ju ...more
Shaun
Jul 22, 2012 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book by famed leadership guru Warren Bennis on making judgements. It focuses on making judgements in three realms: Key People, Strategy, and Crisis. It talks about having a Teachable Point of View (TPOV). The crux of the book is we need more leaders with better judgement skills. I hope our president and political leaders could make better judgements instead of doing things based on politcal expediency. The following areas influence our judgement:
1. self-knowledge
2. personal values &am
Chris
Jul 03, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Three big takeaways from this book:

First, leaders should develop a teachable point of view or TPOV. A leader who has a consistent TPOV brings a predictable perspective to every discussion. After a while, it becomes the organizations way of viewing/processing/addressing issues.

Throughout the book, the authors also talk about the value of creating a story for the organization. Write the story. Tell the story. Tell it often.

Third, invest in the leadership culture. Nearly all the leaders profiled
Edwin B
Dec 13, 2009 Edwin B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know if this book was positively reviewed, or not, when I decided to read it - the reason being the subject matter of leadership judgment fascinated me - and my curiousity was piqued when this title came up in my online browsing of audiobooks available through my local library. It didn't show up in a search of New York Times bestsellers, but were there any practical gems I could pick up regardless of this book's popularity? So I read it, and found out about the dynamics surrounding ...more
Afton
Mar 15, 2011 Afton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book bounced around a lot. I didn't like the format of how the book was organized. I wished they had just taken a case study and told us the good and bad points. This book is very CEO business driven. The last chapter dealt with education though. I didn't take away a lot from it other than the fact that the people that a leader hires to work with can make a break a company, and how a leader deals with a crisis can make a big difference in a company's future.
Sunlita
Nov 24, 2007 Sunlita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who want to be a great leader
I even haven't got a full-time job when I read a review (in Business Week) about this book. They reviewed everything about this book, that made me speechless now. Maybe I'll buy this book, after I have some extra money to spent off, for my leadership improvement.
Megan
Feb 14, 2009 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
i've tried finishing this one but i finally gave up on it...i guess i was looking for more advice, rather than case study after case study...maybe that comes farther in the book than i got but i decided that i'm not interested enough in sticking it out to find out...
Doug Allen
A bit dated (includes Hurd's short-lived turnaround of HP) and a little too much focus on Welch and Immelt's work at GE. Some good cases and frameworks.
Larry
Apr 13, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to all leaders. It's a good read that shows the complexities of decision making.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Rusty
Jun 24, 2008 Rusty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2 of the world's best teaming up on a subject that's scarcely been tackled so extensivly.
Lara
Jun 28, 2013 Lara marked it as changed-mind-stoppedreading  ·  review of another edition
People, Strategy, and Crisis.
Joseph Serwach
Jun 10, 2009 Joseph Serwach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great work
Michael Callahan
Michael Callahan rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Alex Giurgea
Alex Giurgea marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
iwo czajka
iwo czajka rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Jeff Hamilton
Jeff Hamilton is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2016
Lisa Fowlkes
Lisa Fowlkes rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
william
william marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Ciprian Cioban
Ciprian Cioban rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Adamo Colombo
Adamo Colombo rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Katy Nustad
Katy Nustad marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Marina Martin
Marina Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
Hannu Kokko
Hannu Kokko marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Juan C. Mariscal
Juan C. Mariscal rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Blur: The Speed Of Change In The Connected Economy
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
  • Seeing the Big Picture: Business Acumen to Build Your Credibility, Career, and Company
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • Product Design And Development
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution
  • The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: A Book for Procrastinators, the Financially Challenged, and Everyone Who Worries about Dealing with Their Money
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master