Start by marking “The Reunion (Animorphs, #30)” as Want to Read:
The Reunion (Animorphs, #30)

The Reunion (Animorphs #30)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,899 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Marco's mom has been demoted. She has a plan for a triumphant return to power as Visser One, but there are many obstacles to overcome. Like being tried for treason. Now Marco has real problems. He has to decide whether to save Visser One from the Yeerks or destroy her...
ebook
Published (first published June 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reunion

Ben Babcock
The Animorphs series is many things over its 54+ book run. At times it is moving, heart-wrenching in its portrayal of the cost of war. At times it is humorous, heart-warming in its depictions of compassion in the face of hatred and misunderstanding.

At times it reaches into very dark places and confronts us with images that sear themselves into your soul.

I’m not trying to be dramatic. Well, maybe a little. But #30: The Reunion is a very special book. Previous Marco books are notable for Marco’s t
Julie
Ghostwriter: Elise Donner.

Oh, oh, my heart. I want to cling to Donner forever. This book is the most quintessential & perfect Marco book. It's a follow-up to #15 The Escape (and can I just say, I love how these books are revisiting old ones, picking up on recurring storylines and pushing arcs forward), bringing back Marco's mother: Visser One is back and has found out about the existence of the free Hork-Bajir colony, and the Animorphs need to find a way to deal with her.

I highlighted so man
Stephanie
   Wow, these reviews are just getting longer and longer, aren’t they? I’m finding more and more powerful exchanges or ideas lately, things that are worth bringing attention to. This series is growing up, in more than one way.

This time, it is Marco’s turn to really be put in a hard moral/decision-making spot. He sees an opportunity to take down both Vissers Three and One at the same time, and deal a powerful blow against the Yeerk invasion. But the clear, bright line he sees to this end, from
Jen
Jun 16, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And this book is one of the many reasons this series rocked my world as a kid--holy crow that this is kid's literature, that this is a topic and language that is given to kids because they *can* handle it, they *have* to handle it.

Marco, I've mentioned, is definitely one of my favorite characters, but here we get to see his surety of himself splintering. It's something that's starting to happen to all of the Animorphs at this point in the series because, let's face it, guerilla warfare tears you
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

Marco discovers his mother, the host body is Visser One, is still alive. He concocts a plan to murder both of them and take out Visser Three as well. But can Marco be trusted not to be too emotionally attached to this mission?

This book is Marco’s shining light. It’s the best Marco book of the middle series in my humble opinion, because his ruthlessness really shines in this. There is a lot of internal angst, obviously, but we’re treated to a show of “I wan
Nikki
Oct 24, 2016 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What? No, of course a children's book didn't make me cry. That would be ridiculous... *sobs into book*
Jenny Clark
May 23, 2017 Jenny Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, animorphs
This is just about the greatest book in the series yet.
Marco is ruthless, to an extreme extent. I absolutely love how he describes ruthless too.

"People don’t understand the word ruthless. They think it means ‘mean.’

It’s not about being mean. It’s about seeing the bright, clear line that leads from A to B. The line that goes from motive to means. Beginning to end. It’s about seeing that bright, clear line and not caring about anything but the beautiful fact that you can see the solution. Not cari
Lo
Jun 09, 2015 Lo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
marcoooooo :((((((((
Jerry
Apr 15, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one kept me on the edge of my seat! Can't wait to read the next one!
Julie Decker
Aug 06, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marco finds out that his mom, who is the host to Visser One, is in disguise in some office building. He decides to investigate, but he has issues with the others trusting him because they think he will be emotional when it means his mom's life. With Ax and Tobias, he goes to the office and finds she's been surviving with a portable Kandrona, with his mom strapped into a neck harness while the Yeerk is feeding. They end up saving her life when Visser Three's forces attack her, and they find out s ...more
Alan Gilfoy
Jan 25, 2015 Alan Gilfoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars, maybe a bit lower

"Hyper-emotional but also a decent fight"

So for once an Animorph's parent was sort of right about what the nightmare was about.

I wonder why Marco skipped school. It comes off as one of those weird instinct thing that pans out.

I thought Visser One was in disguise for another secret project. So to me it was a twist for Rachel to suggest that she was hiding from Visser Three as part of that rivalry. I know the series is a long way from wrapping up, but this still
Swankivy
Aug 29, 2008 Swankivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marco has to struggle with emotional issues regarding his mother. Breathtaking!

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

This book was ghostwritten by Elise Smith.

Jake asserting his "rank" as leader doesn't happen very often, but it's handled well in this book because he recognized Marco has a weakness with regards to his mother being used as Visser One's host body. Marco having a sincere urge to say "yes, sir" to him--in a non-joking way--is a testament to the fact that Jake is unequivocally accepted
Kim Dyer
While far from being the worst instalment of the series, I just found The Reunion to be a bit lack lustre. For the most part, the story is pretty simple and does not paint Marco in the best of lights. I mean, he proves that he's willing to put his friends, the human race and the entire colony of free Hork Bajir in danger for a chance at saving his mother. It was pretty obvious from the beginning that he wasn't in the best frame of mind to be attempting this mission, yet for some reason the other ...more
Almira
Frodo: It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he got the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

This makes sense now to me.

It's a pity the Animorphs didn't kill Marco's mom when they had the chance.

Marco decided to kill his mom in this book. His mom who is the host body of Visser One, the leader of
Janelle Dazzlepants
Ben Rosenstock
Feb 16, 2016 Ben Rosenstock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good installment, surprisingly so. This is basically the sequel to #15, which was one of my top three favorites in the series, and I'd say it did a great job of giving Marco actual character development. At first, I thought Marco's complete and utter failure with his plan was sort of cheap, since it was almost obvious that neither Visser Three nor Visser One would die (considering there are few changes in the overall arc), but as it happened, it felt so real. I'd be more okay with this la ...more
Sharon
Oct 09, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh, I really liked this one! It was super good and I actually teared up. I love that it balances the bleaknessness with humor and just kind of shows what situation their in and how it changes them, especially Marco.

(view spoiler)
Valerie
This book just remind me that they are only young teens, if not preteens, in this series. Which is shocking when you think about what they go through. But Marco clearly mentions that they aren't in high school. And then next he's planning this intense save the world at the cost of so much.
And this is a series I was reading when I was 10. But it doesn't avoid the hard issues at all. He is ready to sacrifice for the greater good. By his own choice, he sees what needs to happen and he accepts it,
Alex
I was pretty sure I had stopped reading this series as a kid somewhere in the mid-20's, but parts of this book were really familiar.

(view spoiler)
Guillermina
Jan 01, 2017 Guillermina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
That was an effing. Good. Book. I am in love with Marco's books - his voice, his arc, the edge-of-your-seat, badass plots, all stellar.

The only thing slightly off was the ending. That's mostly because it's only book 30, but there are some big plot repercussions that they simply refuse to address at this point. I know they're coming later, but they should have been at least namechecked.

Wait, I just noticed, what is Marco turning into in the cover, is it a roach? Why that morph? It is an old one,
Tommy Grooms
Jul 06, 2016 Tommy Grooms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical Marco book. Visser One returns, and Marco has to make some of his toughest decisions as an Animorph. Other characters have emphasized Marco's "Point A to Point B" approach, and in The Reunion we really get to see it at play, with Marco making a concerted effort to fight back his emotions in order to make his carefully orchestrated plan work. Watching all of the elements of the plan develop without knowing the end game adds a lot of great tension that isn't diminished by ...more
Bonesy
For some reason, I recalled this book being awesome. I love Marco books and I especially love it when he encounters Visser One. However, rereading this now, I wasn't very impressed. It was very obviously ghost written and everything that happened was pretty far-fetched. The mission was extremely complex and unrealistic. It's definitely a more entertaining book than most of the later ones, but I couldn't really get into it. I feel like the ghost writer was being lazy, relying too much on the char ...more
Safraz
Mar 03, 2016 Safraz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good read--probably one of the best of the series. Honestly, the only thing that holds it back from a full five stars is the fact that the ending is rehashed from every single other time Visser One has appeared. That particular plot device wears out its welcome really quickly; three times (in a row, no less) is really pushing it. Still, everything else about the book is pure gold.
Amalia Dillin
Jan 16, 2017 Amalia Dillin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Marco.
This book presents a serious personal crisis for Marco that he tries to steamroll over and power through without really facing -- which honestly, never the best idea for anyone. But thankfully, he has his fellow Animorphs to back him up and keep him from destroying himself, though it really is a near thing. And again, I think this is a solid installment. All this talk about the ghostwritten books being not as awesome or whatever is exaggerated, in my personal opinion.
Noella
Mar 25, 2015 Noella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more emotional books in the series. Marco bumps into his mother/Visser One once again but this time he is forced to make a terrible decision. Marco becomes the temporary leader when Jake goes missing in action. It certainly shook the story up a bit as Marco became less of the comedian and stepped up to the decision plate.
Mariam
God, I love Marco so much. My poor precious child.
This was first time Marco came so close to a breakdown. He always has less qualms about doing morally questionable things. He is the most ruthless one after all. But this one was personal for him. After all, he stayed because he wanted to save his mom, and here he was resolved to end her.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic SiFi series for a young reader. I enjoyed reading these with my daughter. The storyline is good and the plot interesting, wouldn't take much to make these great adult SiFi stories. Highly recommended
Weathervane
Jun 25, 2009 Weathervane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animorphs
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 Jackie Krasuski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Amantha
This book for me marks the beginning of the end: First of all here is where I started outgrowing the series and also Visser One now knows that the "Andalite bandits" are humans - and that her host's son is one of them. Good thing Visser One is dead...right?
  • Crane (Five Ancestors, #4)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 8 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 6
  • Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy, #1)
  • Dragon Castle
  • Fruits Basket: The Complete Collection
  • I Live in Your Basement! (Goosebumps, #61)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)

“People don't understand the word ruthless. They think it means "mean." It's not about being mean. It's about seeing the bright, clear line that leads from A to B. The line that goes from motive to means. Beginning to end.
It's about seeing that bright, clear line and not caring about anything but the beautiful fact that you can see the solution. Not caring about anything else but the perfection of it.”
1 likes
“Someday, if we won, if humanity survived, we'd be in the history books. Me and Jake and Rachel and Cassie and Tobias and Ax. They'd be household names, like generals from World War II or the Civil War. Patton and Eisenhower, Ulysses Grant and Robert E. Lee. Kids would study us in school. Bored, probably.
And then the teacher would tell the story of Marco. I'd be a part of history. What I was about to do. Some kid would laugh. Some kid would say, "Cold, man. That was really cold."
I had to do it, kid. It was a war. It's the whole point, you stupid, smug, smirking little jerk! Don't you get it?
It was the whole point. We hurt the innocent in order to stop the evil. Innocent Hork-Bajir. Innocent Taxxons. Innocent human-Controllers. How else to stop the Yeerks? How else to win?
No choice, you punk. We did what we had to do.
"Cold, man. The Marco dude? He was just cold.”
1 likes