Start by marking “Not So Perfect: Stories” as Want to Read:
Not So Perfect: Stories

Not So Perfect: Stories

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

The extraordinary is everywhere, but an unsettling familiarity pervades.

Nik Perring’s brilliant debut collection demonstrates the underestimated powers of brevity. Intricately crafted and filled with dark humour, his 22 st
Published June 2nd 2010 by Roastbooks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Not So Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not So Perfect

Tania
Aug 03, 2011 Tania rated it really liked it
These short short stories are glorious ammunition to fire at those who link brevity with insubstantiality. Nik Perring's pitch-perfect miniatures deal with such topics as death, love, loneliness and relationships with poetic cadences and dark humour. Although amongst these stories you will find boys who are sharks, girlfriends who perform magical heart surgery and mechanical women, these are no fairy tales but true fictions. Perring has the uncanny ability to raise up the everyday and the mundan ...more
Rebecca Emin
Feb 02, 2012 Rebecca Emin rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of stories. I read the whole book in a day as I couldn't wait to read them all. One for my 'read again' pile.
Susie Wild
Aug 12, 2011 Susie Wild rated it it was amazing
Read. This. Book.
Clarissa Draper
May 02, 2011 Clarissa Draper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I just loved this book. This book of shorts was recommended to me by Talli Roland.

Nik's stories touch on all types of people and yet, he adds such insight into human nature and feelings; his writing is matter-of-fact.

This man actually wrote a story in second person and it was one of my favorites. Here's an excerpt about a grenade:

"You're off the school bus, that pulled away five minutes ago, and you're ten minutes walk from home. There are fields on either side of the road. You can't just toss
Emma
Aug 05, 2010 Emma rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of stories, and would have devoured it in one sitting, had I not forced myself to take a few pauses in which to savour each gem.
Talli Roland
Dec 29, 2011 Talli Roland rated it it was amazing
What can I say, other than... LOVE!
Natalie Bowers
To say this book is right up my street would be an understatement (and a cliché, but we won’t worry about that!). It’s “22 short short stories; 22 not so perfect lives, where bird watchers come out at night, couples perform love surgery, and a woman is throwing up animals.”

I’m a big fan of the not-so-perfect-life theme. We’re all living one; we’re all struggling our way through, trying to figure it all out as we go, and so there wasn’t a single character with whom I couldn’t empathise. With some
Emilie
Jul 01, 2011 Emilie rated it did not like it
I am utterly amazed at the prolific positive reviews this volume has received. Reading this is like reading the blog of a lonely 17 year old boy who, with every short story, is begging you to think he is "deep". Funny enough, when writing this review on Goodreads I clicked on the author's link and saw his picture which also seems to be begging you to think he is deep.

However the stories themselves are a jumbled assortment of random half-baked thoughts that have, without reason, been put to pape
Adnan Mahmutovic
May 06, 2010 Adnan Mahmutovic rated it it was amazing
Nik Perring’s little pocketbook is a gift. A pocketful of 22 flash stories, perfect little glimpses into 22 not so perfect lives. At times it feels as if we are thieves surprised by the return of the tenants we wanted to rob, and instead of stealing we just happen to witness intimate moments. Still, we sneak out richer.

Perring’s stories are accompanied by minimalist drawings that remind me of Paul Klee’s drawings of angels. A perfect match.

There is magic in Perrings realism. It’s a mundane magic
Dan Purdue
Mar 04, 2013 Dan Purdue rated it really liked it
Nik Perring's collection of short stories has popped up on my blog (http://lies-ink.blogspot.com/) a couple of times, but after a recent conversation with a friend I realised I'd never actually reviewed it. So, I re-read it a couple of days ago and here's what I think:

Not So Perfect is a collection of 22 short stories. They're very short - the shortest stories don't cover a page and the longest is maybe four or five sides long (and the book's only about the size of a CD case, so the pages aren't
Gwyneth Edwards
Apr 22, 2014 Gwyneth Edwards rated it really liked it
I loved the quirkiness of this book. A varied mix of tales that will exercise all your emotions in turn. Some made me laugh at the bizarre turn the stories took while others had me wiping tears away at the sheer poignancy of the human situation.
Kelly Mcdermott
Jun 18, 2014 Kelly Mcdermott rated it it was amazing
Great short stories
Daisy Cann
Dec 05, 2012 Daisy Cann rated it it was amazing
Mr Perring has a wonderful skill for choosing an intimate moment of human observation and making something beautiful with it. These 'flash fiction' pieces are excellent works of art within themselves and as a whole create a wide scope of human experience. Perring dabbles in the brave, weird, wonderful and heartbreaking natures of people and has a skill to weave a wonderful moment in only a handful of pages of text which will not only leave you wanting more but will leave unanswered questions in ...more
Jessica Patient
Jun 27, 2011 Jessica Patient rated it really liked it
My favourite stories from Nik's great short story collection would be 'When you're frightened, honey, think of strawberries,' and 'The Mechnical Woman.'
Samantha Tonge
Oct 04, 2013 Samantha Tonge rated it it was amazing
A great selection of thought-provoking short stories for adults, with brilliant illustrations to boot.
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
Gewoon prachtig!
Supriya Menon
Supriya Menon is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Debra Tracey
Debra Tracey rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Jack Buck
Jack Buck marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Faye
Faye marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Hannah Fullmer
Hannah Fullmer marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Lorry Gail
Lorry Gail rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Christian V
Christian V is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Janina
Janina rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Debs
Debs rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
1942849
Nik Perring is a short story writer from the UK. He's the author of the collection NOT SO PERFECT (Roast Books, 2010) and the co-author of the super hero inspired collection, FREAKS (TFP/HarperCollins 2012). He also wrote A Book of Beautiful Words, Some Meanings, and Some Fictions too (RoastBooks, 2014) and Beautiful Trees is out now.

He lives in England and would like a cat one day.
More about Nik Perring...