Start by marking “The High Graders” as Want to Read:
The High Graders

The High Graders

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  775 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The story was that Eli Patterson had died in a gunfight, but Mike Shevlin knew it couldn’t be true: the man who’d been like a father to him had been a Quaker. But when Shevlin rides back to Rafter Crossing to uncover the truth, he finds that the quiet ranching community has become a booming mining town. Newfound wealth has not made Rafter a peaceful place, however, and the ...more
Published December 2nd 2003 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The High Graders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High Graders

Benjamin Thomas
It's been a while since I read my last western novel so I chose The High Graders by Louis L'Amour, my 64th book by this author. In fact, with the completion of this book, I have now read more Louis L'Amour books than books by any other author. Number 2 only has 63...

A "High Grader" for those that are not aware, is somebody who steals the high quality, rich ore from a mine. This book is quite a bit different from the usual L'Amour novel in that it features quite a few major characters as well as
Cynthia
Whew! This was a tough one for me to finish! So far, all the LL books I've read have kept me very interested until the end. I had to force myself to pick this one up again to finish it and even then, I skipped some description paragraphs just to get to the end of the book, concentrating on the dialogue between characters. There were quite a few characters in this book to keep track of. Midway through the story, I had to stop and remind myself which character was who and even had to backtrack onc ...more
Mike
Classic L. L. read where the hero rides off into the sunset.
Brett Elizabeth
Typical Louis l'amour except he does do a few twists and a few unusual leaps that are less predictable than most of his books. Personally I love Louis for what he does but I only gave 3 stars because I don't think his books reach a very broad audience. I love them as quick trip readers that take me to a time when life was very different.
Sharon
Oh, the difficulties of a female mine owner. Good thing a guy is on hand to solve the problem (Actually, I always like the women L'Amour writes. They are rarely shrinking violets.).
Cat
I've read it a couple of times now. I like it, but the story is sometimes hard to follow. I did like that you got to find out how the main characters lived out their lives to the end.
Samuel
I used the concept of "high-grading" in my novel "the Return of the Nice Guy". Decided not to explain what that meant and hope the context fills people in.
Chris Light
In a mining camp, the troubles and problems are always the same. Except when the boss and a small group know where the ore is really coming from.
Jim
I have read a lot of L'Amour's books...trust me there are better. (Galloway, Bowdrie, Utah Blaine, Milo Talon, etc.....)
Rebecca
Another great Louis L'amour. Liked the main character in this book. It played out a great western film.
Frode
This is another Louis that I reread. I remembered the ending but not much else.
Michael
interesting story,well written as you always get with this author.
Partridge Public
Jun 25, 2008 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
Shelves: western
L'Amour, Louis PB
Charles
Another one involving mining. Pretty good.
Calvin
Pretty good yarn. Heroes were just men too
Truculant_Tarantula
Probably L'Amour's worst book.
PWRL
Jan 14, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • Sons of Texas
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods