Start by marking “The High Graders” as Want to Read:
The High Graders

The High Graders

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,010 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The story was that Eli Patterson had died in a gunfight, but Mike Shevlin knew it couldn’t be true: the man who’d been like a father to him had been a Quaker. But when Shevlin rides back to Rafter Crossing to uncover the truth, he finds that the quiet ranching community has become a booming mining town. Newfound wealth has not made Rafter a peaceful place, however, and the ...more
Published December 2nd 2003 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The High Graders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High Graders

Travis
Nov 18, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The high graders by Louis L'Amour is a classic western novel from one of the most known western writers. It tells of a small town getting changed from a cattle town to a mining town and the mines and owners become corrupt and take the town with it. Almost everybody has a hand in the dark dealings of the mines and the community is soon quite sketchy. Mike Shelvin comes back to his home town of Rafter to find it greatly changed and he is the only one who is willing to act and turn things around. H ...more
Conan Tigard
I have not run across a Louis L’Amour book that I haven’t liked. And I did like The High Graders. The characters seem realistic, the setting is good, and the story moves along at an even pace. But this one didn’t necessarily grab me like the other stories that I have read. I never really bonded with Shelvin.

If you are looking for a short story to take you through a hot weekend, by all means pick up this book…heck, pick up any Louis L’Amour book and sit down for an enjoyable read. Nobody knows h
Dalton Sheridan
This was a very good book that I would recommend to anyone who likes Louis L'Amour. In the book a man named Mike Shevlin went back to his home town to find out who killed his old friend, when he got there it had been turned into a mining town and had pushed all the ranchers out. Another old friend was in charge of the mines and was high-grading, which was illegal. Mike exposed him and the whole thing exploded causing the mine owners to fire him and the the old friend and Mike had a shooting figh ...more
Benjamin Thomas
It's been a while since I read my last western novel so I chose The High Graders by Louis L'Amour, my 64th book by this author. In fact, with the completion of this book, I have now read more Louis L'Amour books than books by any other author. Number 2 only has 63...

A "High Grader" for those that are not aware, is somebody who steals the high quality, rich ore from a mine. This book is quite a bit different from the usual L'Amour novel in that it features quite a few major characters as well as
Izabella
Apr 21, 2016 Izabella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will say that i liked Shevlin a lot. I enjoyed the story, but L'amore is disappointing to me. I dont understand what all the fuss is about. Honestly. His books arent anything special and i dont like the way he writes sometimes. However, i keep reading because some of the parts in the stories are actually great. I think we will butt heads alot but, as i said, they are good 'in-between' books.
Chance
May 06, 2015 Chance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i thought it was a great book but it definitely wasnt my favorite Louis Lamour book. its about a gold mine being high graded and a man goes in to stop the stealing he succeeds.
Cynthia
Mar 28, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whew! This was a tough one for me to finish! So far, all the LL books I've read have kept me very interested until the end. I had to force myself to pick this one up again to finish it and even then, I skipped some description paragraphs just to get to the end of the book, concentrating on the dialogue between characters. There were quite a few characters in this book to keep track of. Midway through the story, I had to stop and remind myself which character was who and even had to backtrack onc ...more
Ronald
read some time in 1987
Hayley Shaver
Mar 10, 2016 Hayley Shaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This is a great book. Rafter Crossing was filled with tension when Mike Shevlin rode in. The cattlemen hated the mines that were poisoning the water. The miners were stealing high-grade ore that belonged by rights to Laine Tennison. Laine hired Mike to get it back. Mike had an old debt he wanted to pay back, and the job of returning the gold fit right in with his plans. If you like westerns, this is not to be missed.
Mike
Sep 02, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic L. L. read where the hero rides off into the sunset.
Brett Elizabeth
Typical Louis l'amour except he does do a few twists and a few unusual leaps that are less predictable than most of his books. Personally I love Louis for what he does but I only gave 3 stars because I don't think his books reach a very broad audience. I love them as quick trip readers that take me to a time when life was very different.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Oh, the difficulties of a female mine owner. Good thing a guy is on hand to solve the problem (Actually, I always like the women L'Amour writes. They are rarely shrinking violets.).
Cat
May 18, 2011 Cat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read it a couple of times now. I like it, but the story is sometimes hard to follow. I did like that you got to find out how the main characters lived out their lives to the end.
Samuel
Jun 05, 2011 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used the concept of "high-grading" in my novel "the Return of the Nice Guy". Decided not to explain what that meant and hope the context fills people in.
Chris Light
Aug 10, 2013 Chris Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a mining camp, the troubles and problems are always the same. Except when the boss and a small group know where the ore is really coming from.
Jim
Sep 26, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of L'Amour's books...trust me there are better. (Galloway, Bowdrie, Utah Blaine, Milo Talon, etc.....)
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Louis L'amour. Liked the main character in this book. It played out a great western film.
Frode
Jul 07, 2011 Frode rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Louis that I reread. I remembered the ending but not much else.
Michael
Sep 29, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting story,well written as you always get with this author.
Partridge Public
Jun 25, 2008 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
Shelves: western
L'Amour, Louis PB
Charles
Dec 23, 2008 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Another one involving mining. Pretty good.
Calvin
Aug 03, 2013 Calvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good yarn. Heroes were just men too
zeos386sx
Probably L'Amour's worst book.
Larry Holshu
Nov 13, 2013 Larry Holshu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Another great story.
Ralph McEwen
Aug 23, 2010 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it.
Peter Charleston
Jan 15, 2013 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Enjoyed the read.
PWRL
Jan 14, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • The Untamed
  • Sons of Texas
  • Snake River Slaughter (Matt Jensen: The Last Mountain Man, #5)
  • Mississippi! (Wagons West, #15)
  • The Law at Randado
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...