Start by marking “Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)” as Want to Read:
Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)

Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings #5)

4.51  ·  Rating Details ·  2,549 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Fleeing King Manasseh's tyranny, Joshua leads the faithful remnant to their new home in Egypt. But as years pass, Joshua's desire for vengeance becomes an obsession. Blinded by hatred, he makes rash decisions, placing his loved ones in jeopardy.

Amid Joshua's turmoil comes an unexpected awakening of love--a love that burns so intensely it draws him from the dark inner secl
Published June 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Gods

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine RiversThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantGarden of Madness by Tracy L. HigleySo Shines the Night by Tracy L. Higley
Best Biblical Fiction
28th out of 249 books — 347 voters
The Red Tent by Anita DiamantPearl in the Sand by Tessa AfsharHarvest of Rubies by Tessa AfsharThe Centurion's Wife by Davis BunnSarai by Jill Eileen Smith
Biblical Fiction
73rd out of 174 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Carrie
Sep 24, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing
This isn't just a story. This truly was a lesson on the forgiveness and love of a Heavenly Father. I'm a visual person and the picture was clearly demonstrated that no matter the depth of our sins God's strong arm of love is long enough to reach us. His desire is not to destroy but to heal.

Another thing I noticed that in each book of this series the author took care in really completing the story leaving you satisfied at the end. So many times I will read a book and it just seems like the autho
Jeanie
Sep 17, 2013 Jeanie rated it really liked it
If you want to learn more about the Old Testament, you will enjoy reading these books. You also experience the not so difference of our hearts with her characters. How hard it is to forgive, to see God's forgiveness and His grace and mercy. This is a continuation of the Kings of the Old Testament. King Manneseh was the King of Israel's history. Unlike his father, his pride lead him to wickedness and lead his people there as well. Joshua recovering from the death of his father and the prophet Isa ...more
Oceana
May 29, 2016 Oceana rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-builders
I recommend this series to every Christian out there who likes historical fiction. The author addresses plenty of tough questions that people learning about God face. I appreciated everything she used to make her point that God is a forgiving, loving, and second chance God. He never abandons us even when we abandon him to the darkest of sins.

This last book was hard to read at the beginning. The anger and bitterness that major characters expressed was discouraging to read. Once I got more into t
Steven
Jun 11, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing
Joshua Ben Eliakim fled King Mannaseh’s ruthless reign of terror with a faithful remnant to a new home in Egypt. Yet far away, safe from the terrible tyrant, Joshua is constantly haunted by revenge. It will not leave him alone. As events pulled Joshua into one conflict after another aimed at dethroning Mannaseh’s Joshua keeps digging deeper into his tunnel of isolation, where bitterness, regret and sorrow are about to destroy him. Yet, Yahweh in his mercy and kindness reached down to wrap his lo ...more
Brian K.
Another great read from Lynn Austin. I must confess when I started the series I wasn't sure she could pull it all together, however I am happy to report, "I LOVE THE ENTIRE SERIES "Chronicles of the Kings"!

Heather
Sep 29, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
What a great series. It was wonderful all that I learned about the history, about the culture, about what it was like to live the Law of Moses, about the Kings and empires of that time, etc. Also, there were such beautiful lessons about forgiveness, trusting in God, different "idols" we build for ourselves, etc.

Great characters, great story. Wonderful.

I will add a little side note...I almost stopped reading this one, which shocked me! I have been loving this series. But this one started out so
Carleene Hibbs reeder
Nov 15, 2014 Carleene Hibbs reeder rated it it was amazing
So good! This is an excellent series! So glad I read them.
Jamie
Jan 10, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This book is as good as the first 4 in this series. I loved learning about King Hezekiah's devotion to God in the first three, and it was also very interesting to read about his son's wicked idolatry and how he eventually turned back to seek God. I love how these people's lives are very few verses in the Bible, but through studying other passages, Isaiah's prophecies, and historical data, Austin lengthens the story of these kings.
Mae Clair
Feb 04, 2015 Mae Clair rated it it was amazing
I hate to see this series end, but it came to a most satisfying conclusion. Aside from the main story thread of Joshua hoping to return his people to Bethlehem and have Amariah replace his brother on the throne of King David, there is are several engrossing side stories—that of Joshua and Miriam, (the servant girl who has loved him from afar and selflessly sacrifices for him time and again), and Joshua and his adopted son, Nathan. The latter relationship brought me to tears at times. Joshua made ...more
Carrie
Dec 22, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing
As I concluded Lynn Austin's series with this book, I sat amazed at the story she crafted around Biblical truth that - to me - was so brief in the Bible that it was hard to grasp the enormity of what these Kings went through and what they put their people through as they wandered away from the Lord. She brought the characters and the stories of the Bible to life in a way that was absolutely captivating. I couldn't put these books down. The rich characters and the stories created around them were ...more
Jill
Feb 24, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The lessons in this series are amazing. I have learned so much and wish I could read more... Thanks Lynn Austin for writing this... We want more like this....
Kaysha
Nov 26, 2012 Kaysha rated it liked it

I feel like there should be a 6th book... *sigh* it's over... Now I have to find something else to read. The series was truly captivating.
Elaine Dransfield
Mar 12, 2014 Elaine Dransfield rated it really liked it
This book wraps up the series of the kings and their sons or how they loose direction, become lost to pride and/or power. This book, however, touched me the most. It gave so many lessons for looking at myself, the kind of person I should become to be worthy of my Savior and the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Each of the books continually focus on the fact that we can be forgiven (although so much evil has been committed by some I wonder, but forgiveness comes from the Lord).

Lynn Austin is a grea
Gloria
May 24, 2014 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians; historical fiction lovers
The book had three parts. The first part was action packed. Very good introduction and at least to this point, action packed. It does not take much to turn someone against you, as Joshua is learning so far. He called his plan "God's plan", and forced his sister to marry the prince that was with him - when she loved another and that other loved her back. That other then betrayed them to King Manasseh.

The second part seemed to take place over many years. Now Joshua has married Miriam, but througho
Becky
Jul 12, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first three books in this series. I am giving the final two books a 3-star rating because I feel the story really lost steam. Both books will share this review because I felt exactly the same about both of them. The change in characters left me with no previous attachments. Because of that, by the 5th book, I didn’t even care what happened to the annoying characters. Several of them I wanted to slap, and others I wanted to get lost in the wilderness.

I enjoyed portions of the story bu
Louise
Jun 01, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing
Story Description:

Fleeing King Manasseh’s tyranny, Joshua leads the faithful remnant to their new home in Egypt. But as years pass, Joshua’s desire for vengeance becomes an obsession. Blinded by hatred, he makes rash decisions, placing his loved ones in jeopardy.

Amid Joshua’s turmoil comes an unexpected awakening of love – a love that burns so intensely it draws him from the dark inner seclusion where he often retreats. But what will it take for him to grasp the great love his heavenly Father h
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Aug 25, 2010 TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, favorites
Veronica Slawski
This author bases her historical fiction books on the bible. She uses the books about the Kings and also Isaiah. Anyone who enjoys historical fiction would enjoy this series of books.

This series of historical fiction books is based on the bible. The author uses the books about the Kings and Isaiah to build her stories upon. They get challenging to read at times because she really portrays the sins of Israel well. I learned some bible history that I didn't know before.
Tori Moore
Jan 30, 2015 Tori Moore rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this entire series but I particularly loved this final book. Lynn Austin has written a story of God's grace, the overwhelming power of forgiveness, and the frailty of man. My heart ached so many times...I found myself wondering how people can hold on to anger and hurt feelings for so long but then remembered I have done the same - and still do. I am so thankful that my God is a god of compassion and love. I don't deserve the forgiveness He has given me but He gives it freely. Th ...more
S
May 26, 2015 S rated it really liked it
These books just get better and better. The final book of the Chronicles of the Kings helps us understand the times, traditions and way of life during King Manasseh's reign and what a despicable ruler he was. It helps us to understand why people left the land of Judah and went to other countries to find freedom in their religion. This series is well worth the read and has encouraged me to begin another of her series.
Virginia
Jul 04, 2012 Virginia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone over 12
Recommended to Virginia by: Christina
Wonderful book about hurt, disappointment, desire for vengeance, and forgiveness--both personal and toward others. Austin has an amazing way of bringing ancient history to life, as well as aligning it with the Scripture accounts. This is action, interesting characters, and helps me visualize the life and times milennia ago. It helped me put the epochs together--Isaiah lived at the time of Manasseh, etc. It depicted the setting of Jerusalem and Egypt so clearly, I felt like I had traveled there. ...more
Ebookwormy
Please see my series review of Chronicles of the Kings as recorded in Book 1 Gods and Kings.

BOOK 5 AMONG THE GODS REVIEW:
In a series that has been largely plot driven, this final installment is heavily character driven. For me, the character renditions of Book 5 were not as compelling as the plot driven books. Part of this may have to do with the fact that the main character, a troubled man, reminded me of someone I knew - it wasn't a favorable reminder.

However, the themes of pushing our will o
Marie
Jun 08, 2016 Marie rated it liked it
It was good to conclude the series and also to learn about the Judeans living on Elephantine Island. I felt like the middle really bogged down, as Joshua ran around acting like a distraught woman, and his relationship with Nathan would conclude and resolve. I thought that their relationship was resolved at least 3 times, and then they were arguing again. A few scenes in the same spot seemed belabored and unnecessary. In the end, I understand why these scenes were written, as they make sense with ...more
Jan
Aug 12, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
This is book 5 in Lynn Austin's series, Chronicles of the Kings. I found in inspirational, and I enjoyed looking up the scriptural references to verify the facts. Lynn Austin fictionalizes stories of the Old Testament, making the biblical stories come alive, but I have found that she stays with the facts listed in scripture. I really enjoy this author.
CHC94
Oct 29, 2012 CHC94 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I'm really sorry this is the last book in the series. I feel as if I know Joshua and Dinah, and King Massaneh (who needs a good slap to the back of the head), and all the other characters.

I could never get past the "Biblical talk" in the Bible, and was always able to relate to the prose stories. This is no exception. The series really shows how trusting God was important to the Hebrews and how He came through - every time.

In this last book, Joshua's hatred of King Massaneh, how he allows th
Chris-ann Nunes
Jul 30, 2015 Chris-ann Nunes rated it it was amazing
This one was a tearjerker. While it continued the story of Joshua, it spoke a lot of a father's love for their child and how no matter what they do, daddy will always forgive you. Just like God will forgive you of the many wrongs you have done. If a father will forgive his child how much more will God forgive some one who we think are undeserving of forgiveness.
Bob Allen
Mar 28, 2014 Bob Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Final part of Manasseh's reign. Joshua and Amariah lead the Levites and priests to Egypt, taking the Ark of the Covenant. They build a replica of the Temple and conduct regular worship. Continuation of the results of anger, revenge, hate. Can Joshua, his adopted son, Nathan, and Manesseh find redemption.
Maria Kae
Apr 21, 2015 Maria Kae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!!! Sad to see it end!

Loved this series. Spoke to my heart about Gods love for us. The timing to read this was perfect. How great our God is, how loving and how helpful! He sees the bigger picture! This story brought that and the bible stories to life! Will read again!!!
Katherine
Feb 07, 2013 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Out of all Austin's books that I have read, I feel that this one had the least rushed ending.

It was actually a very timely book to read, looking at several things I have been thinking about lately:
1 - getting frustrated and angry when God doesn't act the way I think He should
2 - miscarriages and loss (how she addressed this makes me wonder if the author has experienced a miscarriage, she was spot on with how I felt, even though we saw it via a man's perspective).

This is the last one in
Kristi Fleming
Apr 03, 2014 Kristi Fleming rated it liked it
One of the things I love about this series is that all the details from the previous books have not been repreated over and over. There are so many emotions expressed in this novel and it is heart wrenching. I also love that the characters are not perfect and this is not a sappy Christian novel. Very well written, bringing the Bible to life.
  • The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)
  • Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • Fly Away
  • Harvest of Gold (Harvest of Rubies, #2)
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Love in a Broken Vessel (Treasure of His Love)
For many years, Lynn Austin nurtured a desire to write but frequent travels and the demands of her growing family postponed her career. When her husband's work took Lynn to Bogota, Colombia, for two years, she used the B.A. she'd earned at Southern Connecticut State University to become a teacher. After returning to the U.S., the Austins moved to Anderson, Indiana, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and later ...more
More about Lynn Austin...

Chronicles of the Kings (5 books)
  • Gods and Kings (Chronicles of the Kings, #1)
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • The Strength of His Hand (Chronicles of the Kings, #3)
  • Faith of My Fathers (Chronicles of the Kings, #4)

“You can't serve God by acting contrary to His nature” 3 likes
“When you forgive someone, you make a choice to cancel the debt he owes you.” 0 likes