Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine

Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Noma is the most important cookbook of the year." – The Wall Street Journal

René Redzepi has been widely credited with re‐inventing Nordic cuisine. His Copenhagen restaurant, Noma, was recognized as the #1 best in the world by the San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurant awards in April 2010 after receiving the "Chef’s Choice" award in 2009. Redzepi operates at...more
Published September 17th 2010 by Phaidon Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Noma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noma

Miriam

Floating to add this awesome portrait of the author:

Out of respect for Redzepi's emphasis on the interconnectedness of environment, taste, appearance and other factors leading to the final experience of consuming a dish, I will attempt to consider all the aspects of this book in my review. Because it is first way in which one encounters a book, I will begin with book as object. NOMA is large and heavy. The title is oversized and arty. It correctly communicates the weighty ideas and glossy images...more
julie
this is an absolutely gorgeous book. a coffee table book more than a cookbook, tho' it does have recipes. gorgeously-photographed recipes. the most interesting part is the introduction and rené's diary from the journey he took in the early days of NOMA. the insights and what they're doing to transform cooking and the thinking about cooking in scandinavia (and the world) are absolutely phenomenal. i don't think i'll try to cook anything from it, but it has me thinking about local ingredients and...more
False Millennium
Continually called "the cutting edge of Nordic cuisine." Yes, he applauds using regional ingredients, but when I tell you the first recipe is for "milk skin with grass" and the other recipes include powdered reindeer antler with moss or pumpkin with pickled herring and walnut juice...where do you even FIND walnut juice (answer: you have to make it.)Milk ice, barley, poached egg and liquorice. Cloudberries from Pitea, burnt meringue and herbal tea...first problem...you have to go to Pitea. Birch...more
Frédéric Bourgeon
Probably a cornerstone among books written on the history of a restaurant. And I'm not only saying that because the book is massive in shape, but also massive in content. The approach taken in this books is quite classic, but the approach depicted in the book and the one taken by the restaurant are original ones.
This is not a cookbook. It probably feeds more your mind and conception of cooking that your stomach.
Kassie Borreson
This is a combination coffee table/art book and a cookbook. The full page pictures are absolutely stunning, and worth the purchase alone. Though you may have trouble finding some of the ingredients if you live outside of Denmark, the recipes are a pleasure to read and quite inspiring. Phaidon always seems to produce, impressive, beautiful and thoughtful tomes, and this book is no exception.
Emily
I loved this book even though making any of these recipes is impossible here in the States since the whole idea is using fresh Nordic ingredients. I still found the book fascinating and inspiring- I want to make malt "dirt", birch broth, and crazy flavored granitas! I love the concept of preparing foods with wild ingredients from the same environment. And the photographs are gorgeous.
Bryan
Ten lower middle class lifetimes' worth of savings would not allow me the budget for any one of these recipes, much less an entire book of them. But who doesn't want to dream of serving leeks tossed in ashes, or quail eggs served on hay, or--wait for it--"quark mousse"? These chefs operate far outside the realm of home-cooking possibilities (where do you even buy hay?), yet, for me, this is the appeal. Dream big.
Foxthyme
Okay this cookbook is in a category all of its own. The if I become a millionaire, maybe I can go eat in this voted World's Best Restaurant. It has won this award at least 3 years in a row. Perhaps that's how long the wait list would be too.

The pictures are food art. The food is art as well. If you could make the most exquisite and tasty food look as earthy, tantalizing, and visually striking as possible, this is the book.

I wasn't sure if I liked how the book started with all of the pictures,...more
Katherine
After some discussion about this cookbook, the conclusion was that it is "willfully difficult and intentionally arcane."

The first half is all photographs of the food, of people, of bits of twigs, etc. Nice photographs, for sure. The second half of the book is the recipes. The recipes request such ingredients as:
- Small shallots from the island of Laeso
- Organic eggs, each weighing approximately 55g
- Cladonia lichen
- Mustard from Gotland

The recipes don't follow in order to their pictures - you'r...more
Debbie
This book was given to us as the perfect housewarming gift. The photos are exquisite.
John
Nov 26, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Nothing in this book is remotedly feasible as far the amateur cook is concerned. That might be an exageration. The book is, however, absolutely gorgeous and brilliantly thought through. There should probably be hundreds of cuisines similarly attached to place from the Australian badlands to Washington cloud forests.
Vuk Trifkovic
Lovely book! Photography is stunning and the recipes are not as unapproachable as I feared they might be. Sure, it's not everyday cooking, but reckon there's enough in there to tone it down and adapt to a more prosaic dinners.
Luke
Four stars for the inspiring, ridiculous recipes (which I'll likely never attempt) and gorgeous photos. One star for the labored purple prose of Rune Skyum-Nielsen, who penned two long introductory essays.
Tim
beautiful - impossible recipes, locally sourced ingredient photos, well put together plate shots, snippets from his diary, the history of the restaurant, it's all here!
Lana
This is a "Chefs" book. The attention to detail is remarkable. It is complicated. It is rewarding. Inspiring dishes and photographs. A great coffee table book.
Brittany
wouldn't necessarily make the food, but the book is beautiful!!
James
James marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Todd Schweim
Todd Schweim marked it as to-read
André
André marked it as to-read
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Koen Ongena
Koen Ongena marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nicki Tarr
Nicki Tarr marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jenny Jk
Jenny Jk marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Julia Mészáros
Julia Mészáros marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • A Day At Elbulli
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Thai Food
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Momofuku
A Work in Progress: Notes on Food, Cooking and Creativity René Redzepi: A Work in Progress Coco: 10 World-Leading Masters Choose 100 Contemporary Chefs Marque: A Culinary Adventure 100 Grandes chefs contemporaneos escolhidos