Start by marking “Our Lady of the Fishnet Stockings” as Want to Read:
Our Lady of the Fishnet Stockings

Our Lady of the Fishnet Stockings

I wrote Our Lady in 1987 after I had a dream about some soldiers firing on a village of peasants and the bullets stopping and hanging in the air. This is the only story I've ever written from a dream, and obviously that single dream image was only a scene that set off an alarm in my mind to get silly. As with Cat's Karma, this story is a little rough, and I'm not a little ...more
Published 1987

To ask other readers questions about Our Lady of the Fishnet Stockings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Lady of the Fishnet Stockings

Katy
Jul 11, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I was a little at sea with this, because I've never read Christopher Moore in short-story format. His signature voice that I've come to love so much doesn't come through quite so much. But there are flashes of his brand of humor. The ending didn't click on the first read, but when it did, I really enjoyed it.
Here's how I interpreted the final scene, since others seemed to be a bit nonplussed.
(view spoiler)
Becky
Awww, I feel kind of let down by this. I just read it, right now. It's probably about 10 pages or so* all together, and I didn't really "get" it.

*I say "10 pages or so" because there are 39 pages in the .pdf file, but they all contain a single paragraph, and sometimes only a single line. No idea why this was done this way.

Moore's introduction in the beginning states that this was inspired by a dream in which bullets stop in mid-air. Which is an interesting concept... Forcefield? Miracle? Lazy
Don Gillette
Aug 09, 2013 Don Gillette rated it liked it
This short story was extremely enjoyable until the very ending when it became most confusing. When a writer mentions two characters in an action sequence in a paragraph and in the next paragraph writes, "'Blah,blah,blah,' he said." you really do need to know which "he" is doing the talking.
So I read this whole thing (granted, it only took a few minutes) and with 4 sentences to go, I have no idea which character uttered the final line in the book.
Chel Sky
Sep 26, 2013 Chel Sky rated it really liked it
Tried this one out first (the title played no part at all)as it was a short story and was wondering what 'reading a Christopher Moore' would entail. Have to say I'm impressed and am looking forward to read more of his works.
Mika Harjula
Apr 27, 2015 Mika Harjula rated it liked it
A quick, out-of-context story, when comparing to the authors other stories. It almost feels as something normal. Might have been Moore's day of medication.

Simple and capturing. I had hoped for a alternative ending for a four-star rating.
Jen Pierce
Jan 27, 2017 Jen Pierce rated it liked it
Eh. Interesting short. Not bad for early work.
BridgetT
Jun 06, 2014 BridgetT rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Good for a little giggle. Let Sleeping Miracles Lie. Will ponder the ending for a while till I work it out.
Amabelle
Jan 09, 2014 Amabelle rated it liked it
What was that? I love Christopher Moore so I'll give this a 3 star rating.
Jason Moore
May 15, 2013 Jason Moore rated it really liked it
My introduction to Christopher Moore. A little odd but Entertaining.
Phil Smith
Feb 11, 2015 Phil Smith rated it it was ok
ehh good but really short
Charlie
Jul 29, 2011 Charlie rated it really liked it
A short story. God works in mysterious ways. A view into Moore's unconsious.
Aric
Feb 28, 2012 Aric rated it it was ok
Shelves: digital-library
Very early Christopher Moore short story. You see the foundation and the framework but the rest of the house hasn't been built yet.
Shadallark
Nov 25, 2014 Shadallark rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
Well, that was very interesting. Short, silly, and a nice twist at the end. Not bad for an early endeavour.
Jun 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I love Christopher Moore ans it was neat to see what his original witings were like.
Corvinus Maximilus
Nov 25, 2014 Corvinus Maximilus rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
As nutty as only Christopher Moore can be.
Meg
Apr 25, 2013 Meg rated it it was amazing
A differenza de "Il Karma del Gatto", "Nostra Signora delle Calze a Rete" mi è sembrata contenere una qual certa morale. Ho amato particolarmente il finale, secco e del tutto inaspettato.
Austin Coates
Austin Coates rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Badrinarayanan
Badrinarayanan rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
HD
HD rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2011
Rochelle
Rochelle rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Quentin Denney
Quentin Denney rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
M Eubanks
M Eubanks rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Charlie Armstrong
Charlie Armstrong rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Damarys
Damarys rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2015
Ken Smith
Ken Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Khryss
Khryss rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
enlightened_me
enlightened_me rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Morrigane
Morrigane rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2012
  • 螢・納屋を焼く・その他の短編
  • The Taming of the Screw: How to Sidestep Several Million Homeowner's Problems
  • How to Disappear Completely
  • Chewing the Page: The Mourning Goats Interviews
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Turntables of the Night
  • Futility
  • Granta 97: Best of Young American Novelists 2
  • The Wall (Pink Floyd)
  • The Star
  • The Early Years: The Lyrics, 1971-1983
  • Short Short Stories
  • Death of a Lady's Man
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums
More about Christopher Moore...