Start by marking “In a Heartbeat” as Want to Read:
In a Heartbeat

In a Heartbeat

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Once she was his secret. Now she is his only hope....

In a New York hospital, a powerful real estate developer lies suspended between life and death while police scramble to solve the mystery of his shooting. With Ed Vincent slipping in and out of consciousness, a detective has one clue to begin his hunt — a name that lingered on Vincent’s lips.

But who is the woman Vincent
Published December 18th 2007 by Dell (first published November 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In a Heartbeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Heartbeat

Holley
Normally I love Elizabeth Adler's books, but this one didn't impress me as much as I expected.

One reason i picked this book over another on my list of hers to read is because two of the main characters were from the south, and T thought that would make things a little more interesting. I think that took part of it away for me.

Also, I didn't like the premise that the happily married detective fell in love with Zelda/Mel and thought that maybe a man could love two women in his life. That is certa
Jeanie
Mar 04, 2013 Jeanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elizabeth_adler
Dana
Jan 07, 2009 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
everything worked out in the end.....feel good book
Dbgirl
Nov 13, 2015 Dbgirl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read Elizabeth Adler's books, and I haven't read much romance books, but this was fun and interesting enough to enjoy it and I read it quite fast, in a week. I loved how silly it was. It became slightly boring towards the end but it still wasn't bad. I just lose my interest a bit. I loved Mel, a great character. This was a bit too American for my taste though but it didn't matter.
Dale Barlow
Feb 26, 2016 Dale Barlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very rich man with a hidden past almost gets nailed after falling for a svelte single mom. A NY cop tries, and solves, the mess. Short chapters, fast moving “who dun-it” that was a perfect vacation read; via KY Unbound; read during Seoul vacation via my Kindle; 5 out of 5 stars; finished Feb. 22, 2016/#14
Eva Popovich
Jan 11, 2016 Eva Popovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This turned out to be a great book (I went on vacation just as I finished this so did not get back to review it then.) It is about a man who is critically ill, on life support, but really it is about the people who know him. Some love him, and some hate him. So there is a lot of mystery surrounding just who might have tried to kill him. But even when you think you have an idea of who it was that meant to kill, you find that you have gotten to know those characters quite well and begin to underst ...more
Cassondra Windwalker
This book combines a thrilling murder mystery, rife with buried family secrets, with two poignant love stories. Elizabeth Adler leaves the reader's heart aching, for loves realized and loves only discovered, whose embrace, however fleeting, is never forgotten. That the human heart is greater than we imagined is more curse than blessing.
Sylvia
Sep 12, 2010 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
The urgent call sent millionaire Ed Vincent flying from Charleston to La Guardia in his Cessna in order to learn the identity of his rival on a property deal. After Ed debarks from his plane, a Sigma automatic greets him. In a coma, he is rushed to the hospital where the emergency staff struggles to save his life. Knowing he is going to die, Ed worries what will happen to his beloved Zelda, who will probably be the next target.

Zelda, who is actually Melba Merrydew, rushes to the hospital beca
Sharon Sherman
Jun 08, 2014 Sharon Sherman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page-turning thriller as Dectivetive Marco Camelia looks for and finds Zelda. The one and only name Vincent says as he slips in and out of consciousness.
Sandy
Mar 09, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This book was so much fun. I love the way the author makes her characters bigger than life, and pays very little attention to practical, realistic details!!!
Tania
Jun 28, 2010 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
randomly chosen from my big pile beside the bed.

quotes#790184 from my notebook

"Remember," she said again, "that a thing of beauty is even more beautiful if it has a use." p224

"Hard work is the only answer, son," he told Ed as they descended through the wispy morning fog, splashing through sparkling streams and over polished rocks. Through meadows waist-high with wildflowers, where orange and black butterflies unfurled their wings as the early sun warmed them. Down the rutted lane onto the narrow
Mikaela  Bottaro
It is an enjoyable, holiday kind of book I chose it just because it's Elizabeth Adler's it didn't disappoint me but also didn't surprise me...
Katharine Ott
Sep 01, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In a Heartbeat" - written by Elizabeth Adler and published in 2000 by Delacorte Press. An enjoyable romance/detective novel.
Karren
Mar 19, 2014 Karren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Surprised on some of the comments as I could not put it down. Would make a good movie.
Nate McHugh
Really nothing special. Got the book in a white elephant game. Figured why not.
Pamela Hanna
Nov 02, 2015 Pamela Hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was a very good book
M.J.
Nov 17, 2014 M.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Adler's best -- a good mystery.
Jen
Sep 27, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery was interesting. The love triangle also made this book interesting.
Sarah Lewis
My sister gave me this book and I really enjoyed it. This book is about a rich guy who gets shot and of course they have to find the killer before he tries again. The guy who gets shot(Ed)is in a coma. His girlfriend and the cop go traveling to find out more about Ed in hopes that that will help them. This is the first of her books I read and I plan on reading more
Megan Kaminsky
The murder mystery part of this book was good and kept you interested in reading. But the author decided to make it part trashy romance novel and I found that to be completely stupid and unnecessary....and nothing even came about from that part of the story line.
Chazzle
In a Heartbeat, by Elizabeth Adler - about 2 and a half to 3 stars; pleasant, almost too pleasant, reading; but, entertaining; she’s somewhere between Stuart Woods and Sidney Sheldon in the ability to entertain
Lisa
Feb 23, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was pretty good. very interesting to read and guess who the shooter was. would recommend.
LInda L
Great book -- suspense, love, mystery --- it has it all. I've compiled a list of Eliz. Adler books and plan to read quite a few of them. The characters in this one are great!
Bonnie G
Apr 27, 2009 Bonnie G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie G by: library shelf
Too romancey for my taste. The technique of putting a main character in a coma throughout the book was interesting, but not enough to make it a recommendation to others.
Goerge Moyer
Nov 23, 2012 Goerge Moyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book faster than I usually do because it was so hard to put down!
Patty
mystery
Janice
Janice added it
Jun 27, 2016
  • The New Year's Eve Murder (Christine Bennett, #9)
  • Shadow Bones (Great Lakes Legends, #2)
  • Split Image
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • The Alpine Journey (Emma Lord Mystery, #10)
  • Statute of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Way Down on the High Lonely (Neal Carey, #3)
  • Whispers from the Grave
203833
Born in Yorkshire, North England, Elizabeth Adler met her husband Richard (an American) while both were working in London. They have lived in England, Ireland, France, Brazil, and the United States and have traveled extensively. They have one daughter and live in Palm Springs, California. Her first novel, Private Desires (also titled Leonie), launched an enormously successful writing career, she a ...more
More about Elizabeth Adler...