Start by marking “Changing Me, Change The World: Prayers From The Psalms, Book I” as Want to Read:
Changing Me, Change The World: Prayers From The Psalms, Book I

Changing Me, Change The World: Prayers From The Psalms, Book I

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  33 reviews
How do you pray?

Do you think praying is either a fearful mystery or a dry duty? If you want to get past feelings of futility and change your world through prayer, then Changing Me, Change the World is the answer. This book connects God's Word and your prayers. It will strengthen your faith and instill confidence in you to pray more effectively, molding you into a prayer w

Published December 31st 2009 by WestBow Press

To ask other readers questions about Changing Me, Change The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Me, Change The World

Sheila
I received a copy of this through Goodreads First Reads, and would like to thank author Lynnda Ell for autographing the book to me, and for the personal note she included.

This book contains the first 41 Psalms from the Bible, with each being followed by a contemporary prayer written by Ms. Ell. I did enjoy re-reading the Psalms, and Ms. Ell's prayers were interesting. My only reservation though was that many of the contemporary prayers did not match my own thoughts. The new prayers seem to be ve
Birgit
While I might be an unlikely candidate for reading this book (I'm not Christian, but Agnostic) it certainly raised my curiosity. Having read plenty of books dealing with the Bible - both historical and critical works - I always found the Psalms to be the part of the OT that gives the most insight into the feelings and emotions of people at that time. And those aren't so far removed from what we all are feeling and experiencing today.
Lynnda Ell manages not only to transport the first part of the
Joyce
The author sent me her book and asked that I review it. I read one entry per day, prayers based on the first 41 Psalms.

I'm not sure how to review a book in this format, so I will just say what comes to mind. I have read one other book of prayers based on Scripture, which I did not care for, though it was a writer I liked.

The concept of praying according to Scripture is a fabulous one. I've struggled with how to accomplish this on my own. Lynnda, you have done a fabulous job of doing so in your b
Louise
I'm always amazed at the unexpectedness of God's love, most of it undeserved. This is absolutely one of the best books I've read in a long time. With forty-one Psalms printed in full in the book, you're able to guide yourself to a better and more prayerful life. You can really study and learn the Psalm's and what their true meaning is. I know that I've learned that I knew nothing about prayer or being prayerful until I read Lynnda Ell's 'Changing Me, Change the World.' Each of the Psalm's speaks ...more
Yaisa
Lynnda Ell you are brilliant!

I recently received a copy of this book by the author herself. I must say, I am surprised at how easily she has translated the Psalms into prayers. It is a very easy read which for me would not usually be the case.

When the book first arrived I thought to myself that I might be in over my head. I am 21 years old and my whole life I have had an Atheist point of view. My morals still have always been parallel to most of those set forth in the bible, but I never could un
Lydia
I'm afraid I really couldn't read much of this. I won it through the GoodReads giveaway system because the idea piqued my interest. I'm very touched that the autographed it specially and was inclined to struggle on to try to be nice but I've barely been able to read a few pages. I'm not doing this book justice at all. I'll be on the lookout for a more appreciative reader to pass this on to. Hopefully someone else will make good use of it.

I found the book too monotonous, prayerful and rather bor
Chad

The Psalms of David were written roughly 3,000 years ago and Lynnda Ell has done a wonderful job in taking the first book of Psalms, the first 41 Psalms, and modernizing the words of David into prayers that make sense in today’s world. Although some of the prayers can be a little more personal in nature to Lynnda’s circumstances than the reader, the overall meanings are solid and can assist anyone in using a specific psalm for a personal prayer. I enjoyed how each psalms was broken out by verse
Lisa
Jul 06, 2010 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: faith
If you thought there was no more to say about prayer or Psalms, think again. Lynnda Ell has created an inspiring book designed as a tool for learning to pray using Psalms as her model. Using each of the first 41 Psalms, Ell has drafted a contemporary first-person prayer that can be used as is or customized for private reflection. For the student in all of us, there is a section dedicated to writing our own prayers. Each prayer has a title that introduces the reader to the type of prayer it is in ...more
Sapphire
I recieved a copy from the author a week back.For the first time my mom was very happy with the book I had recieved.I am a person who believes in god and do pray everyday.But my mom never saw me with a bible so she takes that me not a person who is a believer of god.

This book is amazing in its own way is all I can say.It contains simple prayers written in simple words but if you actually read it carefully you will see the meaning it contains.All prayers are connected to us in one way or the ot
Debra Slonek
May 24, 2010 Debra Slonek rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenager -senior citizen
Recommended to Debra by: Goodreads win
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, and what a wonderful prize it has been. In this book, the author takes a fresh look at the first 41 Psalms and she has interpreted them into helpful, useful and insiteful prayers which are very faith-building during current times. This book would be a wonderful tool for personal devotions or even a group Bible study. I have shared parts of this book with many others, who were also very impressed and blessed. Even three teenaged boys ha ...more
Donna
Oct 16, 2010 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for solace, insight
Shelves: religious
Though “Changinge Me, Change the World” is not a large book, (only147 pages) it is well written and read slowly, provides both solace and insight.

Lynnda Ell has provided psalms from the Bible, and on the opposing page has written her interpretation of those psalms. Throughout the book, Ell has left places for one to write in their own understanding of the psalm.

I enjoyed reading and contemplating “Changing Me, Change the World”. By reading one every day or two, I was able to absorb and get insi
Brenda
I received a copy of this book from author Lynnda Ell along with a signed personal note. This is an inspiring devotional book based on the Psalms. The author has written prayers based on Psalms 1 through 41 and in a simple yet eye-opening way has made the ancient words seem relevant to our daily lives. I read through this slowly and thoughtfully and have discovered new comfort for my daily problems and issues.

There are also blank pages to allow space to write your own prayers or notes as desire
K.M. Weiland
Lynnda Ell pays a lovely homage to the timeless beauty and power of the Psalms in this first volume of prayers inspired by the book of Psalms. Ell covers the first 41 Psalms, accompanying each one with a personal prayer inspired by the words of the biblical psalmist. Her offerings are deeply heartfelt, often thought-provoking, and always encouraging. This book is a challenge to each of us to make the Psalms more than just reading material but a personal conversation with God. A beautiful book, m ...more
Susan
A must have for every Christian. Lynnda has been incredibly gifted with the knowledge of guiding others to a more fulfilling prayer life. She shows you also can use God's inspired words to create your own prayers. Your eyes will be opened to see how the psalms are just as prevalent to today's daily life. Whether you are in complete agreement or not with the words of her prayers they are still excellent examples for your own. Perhaps for the first time, read the psalms with real purpose and let t ...more
Bill
Feb 11, 2012 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone desiring to pray based on the Psalms
Shelves: bible-study
Lynnda Ell's book enables the reader to pray based on Psalms 1 - 41. A heartfelt, easy-to-understand prayer accompanies each Psalm. This book also includes special periodic pages for writing your own prayers based on the Psalms.

This book can be used as a supplement for your daily devotions or when the need arises, such as prayers of praise, repentance, thanksgiving, and prayers for the sick.

I would encourage Lynnda Ell to continue this important devotional series for the Psalms and also to consi
Maria
I am thrilled that I have won this magnificent book. It couldn't have come at a better time, especially since I lost my husband to pancreatic cancer. This book is well written, and I love the way the author has combined the Psalms with Prayers. She even has a blank page so the reader can add their own personal blessings and prayers. I recommend this book to family, friends, and million of readers out there.

Thank you so much Mrs. Lynnda Ell, for writing such a wonderful
book I will treasure it.
Mysterium
May 26, 2010 Mysterium rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in need of spiritual peace
Recommended to Mysterium by: Lynnda Ell
Lynnda is a beautiful soul who shares a glimpse of her heart with this well prepared and approachable book to the Psalms. This book can be easily used as a daily / weekly devotional, a source for immediate inspiration, a pastoral help, or anything else as one is lead by the Spirit.

I will be using this book as a part of my ministry that reaches mature Christians, 'Baby Christians", "Seekers", and the lost. It is that well written, that all who come to "the well" may be served.
Lynnda Ell
Feb 17, 2010 Lynnda Ell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I just got my first fan mail. This is a quote from Dan: "...I have to say that when I learned of your book's publication a few weeks ago (it was the sheer providence of God that it came to my attention) and then ordered it, when I got my copy last week I was so very ... very blessed! It is exactly what I've been looking for to help others (and myself!) grow in this practice that I believe is so very important to the maturing process in our (my) prayer life."

NOW, I'm excited!
Laurel
What an awesome gift, to win this book (from Goodreads) at a time of family crisis for me. I truly feel that God was calling me; even though I was already in what I thought was a good relationship with Him, there is always room for improvement!

This book is laid out so that each of the forty-one Psalms can be studied and meditated upon, and related to current times; the author provides room for personal notes, as well. This book would be wonderful for Bible study.
Wanda
Apr 21, 2010 Wanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of Changing Me, Changing the World through Goodreads' First Reads giveaway.

This book is a wonderful addition to my daily devotions. I like it so well that I have obtained copies for the members of my prayer group, and copies for my daughters as well.

Although I have marked this book as "read", it is a book that I continue to read and refer to. What a valuable resource!

Denise
This is a book that is very special to me. I received it from the author after entering a "first reads" contest here on Goodreads. It arrived in my mailbox at such a stressful time in my life. The prayers are so encouraging in this book. The Psalms are beautiful and always lift the spirits and the author's love for the Psalms comes shining through. I was blessed by reading this book!
Sheri
I have been reading this devotional off and on for a few months and I have been enjoying it. I love the way the author has designed the reading from the bible on one side of the page and the author's translation on the other side of the page. It really is an interesting way to read the Psalms.
Gretchen Schott
Jan 30, 2011 Gretchen Schott rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends looking a new way to pray or needing time for peace in their life
I just received this book from Lynnda Ell. I am enjoying the peace it brings me and allows me to focus much more important things. I can't believe how simple prayer came to me just sitting down to reflect with this book. I am enjoying it and so thankful Lynnda sent me a copy personally.
Rachel Murphy
This is a really excellent book! It is so inspirational and exactly what I needed. I reflect on the words written in this book almost daily. It is a must read for anyone seeking encouragement in this world we live in today.

Thank you to Author Lynnda Ell and Goodreads!

-Rachel
Shannon
This is a wonderful book and has been a blessing in my life. I've completed reading the book but I can't say I'll ever be done with it. I know I will go back to this book often for a spiritual lift. I can't say how much this book has effected me and helped me.
Yolanda
I recieved this book as a goodreads firstread. Lynnda Ell did a nice job with the first forty-one psalms. The book has a peaceful tone, while challenging your focus on day to day prayers. It is a book I will keep at the bedside bookshelf next to my journal.
Lorna
Good, thought provoking book that helps bring the Psalms to a more personal level. The layout is a bit confusing at first, in an effort always to keep the Psalm on one side of the page, and the prayer on the other side, but that's a minor complaint.
Melody
I loved this book! It is awesome to see scriptures put into prayers that are applicable to our everyday lives!! Thank you Lynnda!! I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in growing their personal relationship with God!
Scottie
Sep 08, 2010 Scottie marked it as to-read
Got this book recently and am going through it one day at a time. It certainly does make you think about prayer and what to pray about. I am enjoying it so far.
Kara
Beautiful prayers and devotionals; they really keep you motivated when you're trying to find something to say and the words you can't find.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lynnda Ell writes about her walk with God and the adventure of her life as He leads her into unexpected places. Her career path has led her through the professions of direct sales, accounting, electrical engineering and, now, freelance writing. She and her 93 year-old Mother share a home in Texas. She has three married daughters with five (wonderful!) grandchildren.
More about Lynnda Ell...
Words of Power, Echoes of Praise: Prayers from the Psalms, Book II To the Praise of His Glory: Prayers from the Psalms, Book III