Start by marking “Big Scary Monster” as Want to Read:
Big Scary Monster

Big Scary Monster

Big Scary Monster loves to shock his friends. But if he wants to keep them, he will need to change his ways!

Big Scary Monster is one misunderstood beastie. He loves to jump out and surprise his friends, but he’s not mean, really. Yet when his friends start hiding from him, he decides to look for new creatures to frighten ... only to wind up finding out he’s a bit of a scar
Published July 13th 2010 by Templar (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Big Scary Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Scary Monster

Joshua Denton
Nov 02, 2015 Joshua Denton rated it really liked it
This book would be brilliant for teaching children about the differences found between people (or animals) and how these differences can affect people. It is a silly book, but that is no bad thing and the art work is really good!!
Benjamin Miller
Mar 22, 2012 Benjamin Miller rated it it was amazing
I read Big Scary Monster by Thomas Docherty, this book is meant for Primary Students, which are ages 5-8. I’d use this book primarily in Pre-K, or Kindergarten, because it is a very silly book, and the art work is amazing. The words are not very hard, and the story is pretty straight forward so they will be able to understand it. This is a Fantasy book about Animals and a monster. They are all able to speak. The book begins with the Big Scary Monster constantly scaring everyone, all the little a ...more
Romanus Elangwe
Apr 12, 2014 Romanus Elangwe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale
Big Scary Monster who knew he was big and scary, enjoyed the act of scaring smaller creatures, especially his neighbors. All other creatures at the top of the mountain where he like loved playing together,but each time they least expected it.., Boo! The smaller creatures learned to hide from him and he had no one to scare any more. Bored of being alone he decided to go down the mountain to find company with smaller creatures as he viewed them from the top; but as he went down, he found out that ...more
Treasure
Dec 21, 2011 Treasure rated it really liked it
Several very cute animals (including a rabbit, a pig, a hedgehog, a snake, and a dachshund) frolic on the mountain until the Big Scary Monster shouts “Boo” and scares them away. When the also very smart animals hide when he appears later, he eventually becomes lonely and decides that the animals frolicking below in the valley could also use a good scare. Problem is, when Big Scary Monster arrives in the valley, he discovers what distance does to perspective, as the animals here are much bigger t ...more
Romanaus Elangwe
Mar 13, 2014 Romanaus Elangwe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales

The big scary monster loved to scared other beasts at the top of the mountain. When other animals started hiding from him, he decided to go down the mountain to scare those he thought were small; but as he went down, he found that the objects he thought were small turned out to be bigger than himself. Scared as he was, he decided to go back to the top, but all the creatures were gone and he was sad; suddenly the big scary monster was again pleased to see the little creatures that he forgot about
May 03, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
This book is about a big scary and misunderstood monster. He jumps out to surprise his friends but they run away terrified. He is a really nice monster who just wants to make friends but he is finding it really difficult. He left his world to go find other animals then he started to realize he was a "big fish in a little pond" literally! Once he left his small town he found out he was no longer big and scary! He finally got so scared that he went back to his town and all his little friends.

The
Caitlyn
1. On top of a mountain, Big Scary Monster is the scariest thing around. He frightens all the animals and they hide from him. He decides to go down the mountain to scare different animals and discovers that they are bigger and scarier than him! He returns home and plays nicely with the other animals.
2. This book is a great read about getting along with others. Big Scary Monster thought being mean was the best, until he was afraid just like the other animals were. I like that in the end, he makes
Caroline Watkinson
The Big Scary Monster is always scaring the small animals, but because they learn to hide he goes in search of someone else to scare and instead gets scared himself so runs back and from then on learns to be friends with the small animals and no longer wants to be scary.

Lovely book, would definitely share with KS1 children about the importance of being nice to everyone no matter what they look like or how big or small they are. I loved the classic story feel that the book had and now you can co
Sue Pak

The big scary monster scares the little creatures around and no one plays with him. He goes off to a nearby land where things seem small at first, then gradually gets bigger as he gets close. He becomes the small creature of that land and is scared by a creature from there.

I would use this book to teach perception. Things are smaller as they are farther away, and bigger when they are closer. I think this book can be used for Kindergarten to 1st grade.

I think this book is also about the golden r
Christine Turner
Big Scary Monster is one misunderstood beastie. He loves to jump out and surprise his friends, but he's not mean, really. Yet when his friends start hiding from him, he decides to look for new creatures to frighten, only to wind up finding out he's a bit of a scaredy-cat himself! www.hcpl.net

Concept of self-perception is addressed.
Alicia
Jan 04, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the first book my husband read to the baby (still in my belly) in hopes of establishing a relationship with Baby. We read that the more the baby hears Daddy's voice, the better a bond the baby will have with Daddy when Baby is born. What I liked so much about this book is the pages where the monster says, "Boo!" because it was so cute to watch my husband try to "scare" Baby.
Loren
Jul 28, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
I tend to like books about monsters because all children go through a monster phase and picture books are a great way of handling this "fear". I like the concept of this book "self perception" and how everything is a matter of perspective. Also it is fun how the game turns and the ending pages are adorable with all the animals hiding along the rock.
Liz Todd
Jun 28, 2014 Liz Todd rated it liked it
This book would be so cool if it wasn't so confusing. We agreed as a family that the story would have been more clear if there would have been 2 separate groups of animals that did not look alike. I think this would be a really fun read-aloud.. Great opportunities for yelling BOO!! together. Interesting conversation, too about how things in the distance look smaller than they actually are.
Alice
Dec 11, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 Stars Size is truly relative...there will always be things smaller than you and things that are bigger than you.

The book is about bullying and realizing the things you are bullying could be friends you can play the "boo game" with!
Erin
Sep 14, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
I liked this fun twist on the monster story and I think kids will too. The illustrations are great and the story helps put things into perspective - you're only as big as you feel and there may be someone bigger than you.
Tricia
Dec 29, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
I think he's a cute monster...but to the creatures smaller than him, he is the "big scary monster", who experiences an interesting transformation when he goes down the mountain to a place where he is more scared than scary! Charming...best for preschoolers who can grasp the idea of perspective.
Joanna
Jan 12, 2012 Joanna rated it liked it
Between three and four stars. It's charming but probably ultimately forgettable. I like that it introduces the idea of perspective but just doesn't stand up against gems such as 'I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean'.
Jess Brown
I like the monster stories that play on the fact that monsters have feelings, too! This was a cute one in that respect. Best for younger elementary kids or preschoolers.
Margo Dill
May 20, 2013 Margo Dill rated it really liked it
This is a cute picture book--love the illustrations and the animals and the idea. The ending seemed off to me--but I can't put my finger on it.
Heather
Jun 24, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
37 months - O always enjoys a monster book. Cute illustrations and the story was ok. Interesting idea, change in perspective from big to little... Putting the shoe on the other foot so to say.
Tanya W
Sep 02, 2011 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Kids loved it and wanted to read it multiple times... for me good for a kids book (other than that, what's the point?!).
Janell
Aug 09, 2010 Janell rated it it was ok
confusing
Susan
Oct 23, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really really cute pictures.
Caedmon
Jun 29, 2014 Caedmon rated it liked it
I did not really like it.
Gretchen
Nov 25, 2012 Gretchen rated it liked it
PB 41: Okay storyline, but has some great pictures!
Angela
Jul 29, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
great book, fun read a loud
Rose
Dec 29, 2015 Rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
this is such a neat story. I love it. :)
Stefani
Dec 14, 2010 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
It's all about perspective. Somewhat overly simple, but still a cute story. Good for overcoming a fear of monsters; after all, they're not scary if you don't want them to be.
Julie
This is a fun story, a good read-aloud. It is short but is a good introduction to the concept of artistic perspective (things get bigger as you get closer).
Vicki
Oct 30, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing
A lovely book to share at Boo-Ha-Ha storytime. The listeners enjoyed shouting: BOO! Quirky cute illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • I'm The Best
  • Square Cat
  • Cowlick!
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • The Monster Princess
  • Bedtime for Monsters
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Anh's Anger
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Red Cat, Blue Cat
  • Yuck That's Not A Monster
  • I'd Really Like to Eat a Child
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster: A Tale of Picky Eating
  • The Ugly Pumpkin

Thomas Docherty was born in New Zealand but has spent most of his life in England. He studied metalwork and sculpture and now has a collection of acclaimed picture books. Thomas has been short-listed for a variety of awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal in 2009 for Li
More about Thomas Docherty...