Start by marking “Pinocchio” as Want to Read:
Pinocchio

Pinocchio

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  54,763 Ratings  ·  1,353 Reviews
Now in paperback Idiosyncratic collages by the acclaimed Sara Fanelli and a clever, authentic translation make this slipcased PINOCCHIO a must-have for collectors of all ages.
To be a real boy that is the heart's desire of the little wooden puppet carved by the old and sprightly Geppeto. Naughty, mischevious, and bold, Pinocchio sets off on adventures and gets into trouble
Published July 13th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published 1883)

To ask other readers questions about Pinocchio, please sign up.

Spencer
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nayra.Hassan
Feb 11, 2017 Nayra.Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هو صبي كسول كذوب..متعالى احمق ..عاق شقي..يريد ان يحظى بمزايا الانسانية. .دون متاعبها..و لآ مسؤوليتها. .لكن ..لا : بينوكيو ليس مجرد عروسة خشبية..بل هو نموذج نصطدم به مرارا في حياتنا اليومية
هو من يقابل كرمك اليومي بالجحود...و المحبة بالامبالاة..و الاهتمام بالاستهتار ..ها هو جيبيتو صانع اللعب و مانح السعادة للاطفال..يتوق "لابن" فيصنع عروسة خشبية..و يتمنى لو كان صبيا' و بالفعل يتحول لصبي خشبي متكلم متحرك. .لكن لن يستحق إنسانيته الا بعد فعل الخير
مجرد قصة قصيرة صدرت عام 1881 لتحقق نجاحا ساحقا..و صار
David
Jun 18, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyrb
As is the case with many great and memorable children's tales, Pinocchio is predominated by the threat of violence and death. At one point the incorrigible puppet is actually lynched by a Fox and a Cat who are after his gold coins. The Talking Cricket (the model for Disney's Jiminy Cricket) is killed by Pinocchio, using a mallet to smash him against the wall, as early as chapter four. The Cricket's primary offense? Giving some lame moralistic advice to the anarchic puppet. (The Talking Cricket w ...more
Danger
Jun 23, 2015 Danger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t have kids. I read this for pleasure as a 32-year-old man. And, surprisingly, I definitely enjoyed it. As I made my way through the book, though, I kept trying to picture what a kid would think. It’s very weird. VERY weird, and kind of dark too. I’m not very familiar with the Disney version of this story, but I’m sure Pinocchio doesn’t murder that singing cricket with a hammer like he does on page 13. And things like the growing of his nose when he lies are not major plot points in the bo ...more
Brad
Sep 16, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, to-my-kids
I have been slowly reading a stack of children's classics to my twins (thus far to combat the poor movie adaptations that are out there), but I have been less than impressed.

I found Peter Pan (both the character and the story) insufferable; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory offended me ideologically; and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was too heavy handed. So I had little hope for Carlo Collodi's Pinnochio.

Even though I had been slightly disabused of my belief that Pinnochio would be overly
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 10, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books (Children's)
Shelves: 501, childrens
Pinocchio's Ten Life Enriching Lessons for Grownups:

I normally read children's books during Christmastime. Not only to catch up with my Reading Challenge (I am behind by 10 books as of this writing), but also, most of children's books have life lessons that can be good reminders for the coming year. New Year always means new beginning, new hope. Do you remember when you were still in school and after reading a story in class, the teacher asked you what was the lessons you learned from it? So, in
Eddie Watkins
What a lively book! and also what a strange book, in its nimble flirtations with death and grotesqueries that add many layers of deftly handled complexities to a seemingly simple tale.

Collodi was clearly conflicted about who Pinocchio actually was. The afterword informs us that the book is actually two parts that have now fused into one. What is now the first half of the book was originally a complete tale in itself, and ended with Pinocchio dying after being hung from a tree. But then due to th
Nandakishore Varma
It is always a dicey affair to criticise a popular book: and when it is an acknowledged classic for children, it is even more dangerous. So I agonised a lot over my impressions of Pinocchio: Is it only a matter of personal taste? Am I missing something? Should I rethink my rating based on learned opinions spanning more than a century? In the end, I decided to go with my original evaluation.

This is one of those stories you read and love in comics format or abridged versions before you come into c
Brian
Sep 05, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finishing this made me think about the first time I completed The Giving Tree. Maybe there isn't supposed to be a moral to the story? Certainly the "be a good boy and all these things will be added unto you" doesn't work here. Pinocchio is a little shit for 95% of the 220 pages and when he repents for 10 minutes he gets the keys to the kingdom? It's like the biblical prodigal son on a Corey Haim level of lifelong poor choices that impacts everyone around him, constantly given another round of on ...more
Ryan
Dec 29, 2007 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-kids-lit
let's get this straight - pinocchio is an asshole. but in that, he's a regular adolescent trying to figure out how the world works and, more importantly, how he can navigate it. kids aren't always angels and ice cream - they're lying, cheating, selfish demons - i sometimes think there's nothing meaner than a 5th grader - but who can blame them? i think that was the appeal to me of reading this book versus watching the disney movie (which is my favorite disney movie, and i will have the argument ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
May 13, 2012 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
Pinocchio is a classic story, and a very different one than the saccharine Disney version most Americans are familiar with. Carlo Collodi’s 1882 book lays out the story of a wooden puppet come to awkward life, who proceeds to act out on every selfish, crude and obnoxious impulse ever known to childhood. Each bad decision brings sorrow to his “father” Gepetto and his “mother” the Blue Fairy, and brings a terrifying consequence to the puppet — in the course of the book his feet are burned off, he ...more
monica ♪

4.5 Stars

My Mum used to tell me about this story all the time when I was a kid. But I barely remembered the detail story. All I remember until now is that my Mum used to tell me "don't ever you lie or else your nose will grow longer and longer like Pinocchio's"

It's nice to read the entire story about Pinocchio and his adventures in this book. Although he was such a brat and sometimes really makes me want to slap his head because he kept doing naughty things, but this book indeed gave very good
Suvi
To be honest, Pinocchio is the most insufferable, ungrateful, and gullible brat I've seen so far in children's literature. Poor Geppetto has to sit at home, while the boy runs around and gives up to temptations. All the lies build up, and each time Pinocchio's nose grows longer.

Not too convinced on this one. New characters are introduced only to disappear almost immediately. Didn't understand the point of them, maybe Collodi wanted more pages since it was originally serialized? And oh boy, the a
Saretta
Pinocchio è la prima volta che lo leggo; per questo sono rimasta stupita dal romanzo, la mia aspettativa era ormai stata traviata dal Pinoccio della Disney (che c'entra ben poco con la storia di Collodi).
"Pinocchio" è un romanzo cattivo (non saprei dire quanto sia "per bambini"), il grillo muore nelle prime pagine, ci sono impiccagioni, assassini, annegamenti e frustate.
C'è da dire che nella prima parte Pinocchio è un burattino decisamente strafottente e insopportabile (ma poi migliora).
Secondo
Meli
Aug 21, 2013 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RESEÑA SUPER COMPLETA Y ESCABROSA POR ACÁ :D

Leí este libro para la universidad (¿qué a ustedes no les hacen leer cuentos de hadas en la uni? xD), y lo elegí porque era el único de la lista que no había leído ya. No lo había leído porque siempre odié la película (me daba miedo de chiquita y bueno, por ahí si la miro ahora me sigue dando un poquito jaja).

Es uno de los libros más retorcidos y morbosos que leí en mi vida. Collodi en su intento desesperado de dar una lección de moralidad y obedien
Richard
Nov 24, 2008 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a dick! Wavering around like a conker in the breeze, pinocchio dances about and invites at least a harsh look.
But he gets more than that! Hung from the neck til dead! pushed into a coffin paraded by freakish rabbits! Have his legs plucked off! Pasted with flour! Chained up like a dog! eaten by a shark! Turned into a donkey and drowned! Starve to death! Get burnt up - more than once! - all this and more! Horrible!
Sara Sbaraglia
Aug 23, 2012 Sara Sbaraglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xix-secolo, italia
Spesso gli adulti sono poco curiosi riguardo quelle che vengono comunemente classificate "storie per bambini". Ma oltre alla solita morale presente in molte fiabe, ossia ascoltare i consigli degli adulti se non ci si vuole trovare nei guai, questa storia in particolare ha molto da insegnare anche a chi si ritiene cresciuto e saggio. E così gli adulti che "a lasciarli dire, tutti si metterebbero in capo di essere i nostri babbi e i nostri maestri", inciampano in una serie di grossolani errori nel ...more
Lorenzo Basile
This is such a cute and touching little story. Ever since I was 4, my Nonna (Italian Grandmother), would always play the 20 minute episodes for me in Italian. I never really understood this all, though.

However, it was lovely to see the original story which ignited the popularity of Pinnochio's adventures and how it has evolved over time. For no reason, I always remember from the show, where Pinocchio was on the beach. And so when I read this scene in the book: it brought back many memories.

The
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Unsurprisingly this is darker and even more surreal than the cultural touchstone left in Walt's Studio's wake. Interestingly, reading this years after having been typically mesmerized by the animated version several times as a wee knee-high made me re-realize how truly dark and strange and moving the relatively far more sugar-coated technicolor Disney fare actually was. But again, this original monograph ratchets up the creepiness and, frankly, the hard-nosed bleakness quite a bit more, by compa ...more
Dorcas
Apr 23, 2015 Dorcas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, childrens
Pinocchio? Really? You're reading Pinocchio? Ok, I can explain this.

A week or two ago, my mum and I were talking books, and my dad, feeling a little left out, announced that he also bought a novel at Barnes and Noble while my mum was purchasing a Victor Hugo... I was a little surprised because he doesn't really read anything except medical books or non-fiction.

"What did you buy?"
"Pinocchio."
"Ha ha, funny. No really, what did you buy?"
"I bought Pinocchio."
Silence.
"Yeah, the lady at the checkout w
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Hmmm.....Nineteenth century Italian writer experiments with psychoactive substances and writes a children's book?

In this story you will meet:

A guy named Mini-Man who bites off the ears of his donkeys as a gesture of affection.

A large Snail with a glowing lantern on her head.

A large Serpent with green skin, eyes of fire, and a pointy tail that smokes like a chimney. The Serpent laughs so hard that a vein bursts in his chest and he dies.

An iron door knocker that suddenly turns into a live eel in
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Selama ini saya mengenal si Pinokio cuma dari kartunnya Disney atau film layar lebarnya (kalo ga salah banyak versi, saya baru nonton yang versi tahun 2002 dan tahun 1993, belum versi kartunnya yang banyak). Semua orang begitu mengenal tokoh ini sehingga saat mau membaca edisi aslinya (lebih tepatnya, edisi lengkap cerita asli Pinokio)sempat terlintas di pikiran, apalagi yang diharapkan dari cerita si Pinokio?

Pengalaman adalah guru paling berharga, kata orang. Belajar dari pengalaman membaca buk
Eti
Jun 30, 2015 Eti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating: *4 stars*

"Lies, my dear boy, are found out immediately, because they are of two sorts. There are lies that have short legs, and lies that have long noses. Your lies, as it happen, is one of those that have a long nose."

While I was buying the books, my friend asked me what all books I'm buying. When I showed her, she questioned me.

Pinocchio really?

Yes , I replied ;)

Okay to start with I would say forget what all Disney taught you instead read this, I really liked this version be
Ken
Is this YA? Children's literature? God only knows. If it can be seen one way by children and another by adults, it's... God only knows.

So let's dispense with labels, boxes, and kindling why don't we. I read this book's 160 pages in no-time (myspeak for "two days"). It was simplistically compelling. Or compellingly simple. Wood. Boy. Dummy. No, make that puppet. One who out-lazies Tom Sawyer, even. The rural Italian word for him, then, is "scamp." Or "rascal," if you will.

The best part about rea
Chicco Padovan
Oct 25, 2013 Chicco Padovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perché non avevo mai letto Pinocchio? È semplicemente incantevole.
Iniziamo col dire che i vari adattamenti cinematografici non gli rendono giustizia, salvo in parte quello di Comencini, seppur povero di mezzi.
In effetti il libro è diverso, adotta lo stile delle fiabe, così difficili da rendere sullo schermo. Piccoli capitoli auto conclusivi caratterizzati da uno stile asciutto e quasi privo di descrizioni. Non c’è da stupirsi, è lo stesso tipo di narrazione de I racconti delle fate, tradotte pro
Alex
Mar 17, 2014 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, rth-lifetime
This is essentially a conservative book. Pinocchio learns the hard way to work hard and not act out. He's a different sort of boy, but by the end of the book he's been quite literally whittled down to the shape of everyone else. I know it might sound like I'm reading too much into this, but, I mean, children's books have lessons, and here is this one's. If you want your child to learn through play, this isn't your book.

It's extremely dark, too, by the way. If your only experience with the story
Hudson
Holy shit! This is not the Disney Pinocchio I knew as a child, that's for sure!

I had read something here on GR about this so I had to check it out for myself. Sure enough the original version of the story is like most original fairy tales, that is to say, dark, bloody and violent!

Pinoch is a royal bastard who treats poor Geppetto like shit and actually murders the cricket within seconds of meeting him. By the time Pinoch is stabbed and then hung you are pretty much rooting for it to happen. (An
Andy
Jul 21, 2011 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bad puppets
Recommended to Andy by: Jerry Mahoney
"Pinocchio" was originally written as a serial for a newspaper, so the narrative of the novel follows this format: every four chapters Pinocchio finds himself in another big mess he can't get out of unless The Blue Fairy bails him out.
His lack of respect for Gepetto's feelings made me dislike him until I realized I was just as much of a monster when I was little, so it's safe to say there's a little bad puppet in all of us.
Margot
Nov 16, 2013 Margot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preferiterrimi

Cose a cui può sopravvivere un burattino: fuoco, fuoco (di nuovo), coltellate, impiccagioni, carcere duro, umiliazioni canine, tentativi di frittura, metamorfosi asinine, annegamento e attacco da parte di pesci aggressivi e, ultimo, ma non meno importante, Pesci-cane asmatici.

Solo per dire che la versione disneyana aveva tralasciato delle cose.
Tony
Mar 25, 2015 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be so nice to be a real boy. Yes, I'd like that.
Davide
Storia (della lettura) di un burattino.

Forse ci fu una prima lettura diretta, nella notte dei tempi, chi lo sa; di sicuro ci fu il bombardamento delle revisioni dell’immagine e del mito (anche il film di Disney? Non mi sembra ma proprio non ricordo). Ma ho detto storia, non preistoria; e allora la prima lettura è quella a quindici anni, scuole medie superiori.
Dovete sapere, miei piccoli lettori, che chi qui scrive ha avuto la fortuna di incontrare non pochi insegnanti molto capaci. Come questa m
Sarah Coller
After leaving this gorgeous 1938 copy on the shelf for over SEVEN YEARS, (!!!!) our family finally spent a couple months reading it during our homeschool morning time. We LOVED it! Written in 1883, this fun children's story was published about twenty years after Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and is just as silly---more so, even. Like Alice, it's a story full of puns and ironies; however, to really get the humor of Alice, one must understand some about British history, culture, and 19th centur ...more
tats
I almost gave this 3 stars, but my gut told me to give it 2,5 - after all, I couldn't really care much for Pinocchio. I didn't remember him being such a brat.

I know children's stories are, originally, way different than those sugar coated versions Disney and alike have been feeding us for ages, I know that. Still, I can't help but be surprised each and every time. Sure, I don't remember much of Disney's Pinocchio, but I'm sure Jiminy Cricket wasn't killed by Pinocchio right after its first appea
Kristie
Feb 22, 2017 Kristie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not for me. I understand that it teaches many important life lessons and there is character growth, but I felt like I was listening to a child whine the entire time. After a while, every time Pinocchio started with his "Oh, poor me..." I just started rolling my eyes and groaning. It was just too much.
Aya.
Nov 11, 2016 Aya. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book definitely became one of my all time favorite classics! it's so beautiful and heartwarming and so extremely sad and heart breaking! what a beautiful book, it's definitely something I would read to my children one day! I recommend it to everyone <3
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
You sort of just want to be a blockhead rather than a realboy. Just out of spite or something.

On to Cooverville now...
Trace
I was absolutely surprised by this book..... I had no desire to read it - I somehow had this preconceived idea that I would not like it. It was, however on my son's Mensa For Kids reading list, and so we read it.

We loved it! To be sure, some parts were rather silly and a bit disjointed... but the great stuff really outweighed these minor drawbacks...

We both agreed that Pinocchio's journey reminded us very much of The Odyssey. It also, for us, reminded us of the biblical story of the Prodigal So
Saretta
Pinocchio è la prima volta che lo leggo; per questo sono rimasta stupita dal romanzo, la mia aspettativa era ormai stata traviata dal Pinocchio della Disney (che c'entra ben poco con la storia di Collodi).
Secondo
Sammie
What is you were just sitting around playing with a piece of wood, and all of a sudden, it started… to talk. You jump back, thinking this is a dream. Well, in The Adventures of Pinocchio, that dream comes true.
It all started one day when a man named Geppetto was building a puppet. When all of a sudden, it started to cry, scream, laugh, and talk. He kept working his puppet, with his occasional blackouts from a piece of wood talking to him, and eventually he finished his puppet, and it became as r
Patrizia O
A me Pinocchio ha sempre fatto simpatia, una simpatia istintiva e non ho mai trovato disdicevole che il suo più grande desiderio (almeno quello dichiarato) fosse di diventare un bambino vero: nessun bambino vuole distinguersi dagli altri per la sua diversità, non vuole essere additato per strada e non vuole diventare famoso come fenomeno da baraccone. Essere diversi, uscire dal coro e distinguersi per l’originalità delle proprie scelte è cosa che comincia ad avere un suo fascino nell’adolescenza ...more
M Razavy
تخیل نویسنده عالیه! پر از اتفاقهای غیرمنتظره و طنزی که کمی هم تلخی داره.

بچه که بودم وقتی کارتون پینوکیو رو می دیدم حرص میخوردم که چرا این پینوکیو اینقدر خنگه؟! چرا هی گول میخوره؟ چرا از اشتباهاتش عبرت نمی گیره؟
ولی الان باهاش همدردی میکنم. منم احساس آدمکی رو دارم که داره برای آدم شدن دست و پا میزنه، ولی فعلا خر شده! :D
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
What a jerk! Everyone who comes into contact with him will be the worse for it! I have to confess...the Disney version is so engrained in my mind that I find it hard to believe it originated from this story... the fate of The Talking Cricket (Jiminy Cricket) is unusually cruel.
Melika Khoshnezhad
از ته قلبم فكر ميكنم حكمت و حقيقت را نه در كتاب هاي سخت و نامفهمومي كه ادعاي حقيقت گويي دارند، بلكه در داستان هاي كودكانه ي جادويي مي توان پيدا كرد. چون حقيقت همان چيزي است كه مدت هاست فراموشش كرده ايم، پري هاي كوچك مو ابي رو پشت كمد پنهان كرده ايم و ديگر جايي براي افسانه و اسطوره خالي نگذاشته ايم و اين چنين سردرگم و غمگين شده ايم.
غزل أدم
Feb 29, 2016 غزل أدم rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

قبل أن أبدء بقراءة هذا الكتاب كنت أطَلعت قبله على ثلاثة كتب أقرأ بضع صفحات ثم يصيبنى الملل
إلا أن وجدت ضالتى فى هذا الكتاب قصة مكتوبة بحنكة ومهارة تحتوى على العديد من القيم الموجه للناشئ
مصحوبة بحس خاص ومميز من الفكاهة فمن أكثر القيم التى كان المؤلف حريص على أن يغرسها فى الناشئ
هى مدى أهمية التعليم والكتب والمدارس وأن الأطفال لا يجب أن تكرههم لأن بدونهم يتحول الإنسان إلى حمار
ويبدو أن مسألة كره الأطفال للمدارس كانت ظاهرة منتشرة فى عام 1880 أثناء كتابة هذه القصة
ويبدو أنها ستستمر إلى الأبد
Ariane Brosseau
Feb 15, 2016 Ariane Brosseau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup aimé lire la version originale des Aventures de Pinocchio, particulièrement en raison des nombreuses années qui se sont écoulées sans que je ne pense à cette histoire. Pinocchio est franchement énervant pour l'adulte que je suis devenue en raison de ses TRÈS NOMBREUSES désobéissances, mais il m'a permis de réfléchir sur la conception du monde et les désirs des enfants, et aussi sur la difficulté d'entrer dans le monde adulte et d'assumer ses nouvelles responsabilités. Finalement, a ...more
Morgan
Sep 06, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, seen-the-movie
I honestly didn't think I was going to like this very much. Mainly because I really like the Disney movie. However, I like this version a lot better. It has more meaning to it then the Disney movie.

To start with, if you think ths story is anything like the Disney version then move along. Yes Disney is known to making changes, but this book has too many changes; not much with the plot, but more with the characters. Geppetto is miserable, the "cricket" dies the first chapter he is mentioned, the B
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Priče iz davnine
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Bambi
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Little Golden Book)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • Viking Tales
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • Nutcracker
Carlo Lorenzini, better known by the pen name Carlo Collodi (November 24, 1826 – October 26, 1890), was an Italian children's writer known for the world-renowned fairy tale novel, The Adventures of Pinocchio.
More about Carlo Collodi...

“Never trust people who promise to make you rich in a day. They are generally crazy swindlers” 39 likes
“A conscience is that still small voice that people won't listen to.” 31 likes