Start by marking “My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs” as Want to Read:
My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs

My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs

My Best Friends have Hairy Legs is the story of how my dog and I overcome abusive relationships. It is a story about his growth from a fearful puppy into a confident adult dog and mine from a psychologically abused wife into a confident woman who can look back at my past with laughter and no regrets.
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 29th 2009 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published November 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs

Sirius Scientist
Nov 05, 2010 Sirius Scientist rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
I'm normally a fan of "dog books" and loved Dr Patricia McConnell's two novels: The Other End of the Leash and For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend. After reading the synopsis of this book, I downloaded it as a free ebook from B&N. It started off promising but about halfway through the terribly short book I realized not only did I not feel sorry for or identify with the narrator, as she intended, but was instead annoyed!

The book was summarized as being ab
Rebecca
Horrible book, I'm glad it was free on kindle when I aquired it. She professes to be an animal lover and yet in her early adult years doesn't seem to treat them very well (like going on holidays and the dog drinks the toilets dry and goes through the grbage becuase he's so hungry, and she thinks this is cute?).

Don't even bother.
Diane
Oct 21, 2011 Diane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
What did I think--not much! Again, poorly edited. Jumped around, drove me nuts. One of the 1st things I downloaded to my Nook. wish I hadn't bothered.
Rhonda
Jun 14, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Story about author's relationships with people and with pets, some abusive, and her struggle through them. Very good.

Favorite Quotes:

"I've been asked if I would change anyting in my life--if I had a 'do-over'--would there be people or events that I would avoid like the plague. Would I have made different choices? Wiser decisions? That is always a tough one to answer. Would I like to have avoided a painful phase in my life? All the hurt and tears that came with a bad relationship? Sure, who would
Kaliki
I had high expectations for this book. Perhaps too high. And I'm not exactly sure why they weren't met. I didn't find the main character (author) all that likeable, for some reason I can't explain. I think I wanted *more* from the perspective of the dog .. or maybe just more about the dog. I don't mean it needed to be told from the dog's point of view, like The Art of Racing in the Rain, I think I just thought it was waaaay to much about the author's life, relationships, experiences and just a t ...more
Dhwani Swadia
Red full review here: http://thereandtheir.wordpress.com/20...

I had very high expectations from this book, simply because my best friend does indeed have hairy legs!

But, this book did not raise up to the expectations.

It was like reading Marley and Me, but knowing everything about John’s frustrations, John’s work, John’s expectations…with a brief mention of Marley a few times.

Gracey
Feb 10, 2016 Gracey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
The author has written it from her point of view, and all the abusive relationships she went through, but, there is a fine line between writing your experiences and throwing a pity party, and frankly the book had more of a “pity me” vibe.

While I did like Trooper from what little I knew of him, I could not connect to any of the characters as each had so little time, I found myself skipping chapters upon chapters and reading only the parts where trooper was mentioned…

Do I recommed it? Not really…i
Audiaa
I thought this book had some sweet stories about pets (mostly dogs and cats) and how they can be more than friends. The author lost me a little when she called and believed a pet physic (twice) even though the physic's conclusions were rather obvious. Most of this book is about the author's relationships with her dogs rather than overcoming abusive relationships with humans (though that was also included). I liked reading about the animals and overall, it was a pretty short book, so I though it ...more
firecracker2007
This is a relatively short memoir. It doesn't always seem to follow a clear chronological order. It has more or less the feel of listening to someone tell their story in a group counseling session. It's definitely not the worst thing I've ever read, but it isn't particularly great. I was expecting something along the lines of Marley and Me but the story is mostly about the human. The animals, and her love for them, is a secondary plot line.
Bill
Jan 25, 2011 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read that will leave you teary eyed at times. It's really a story about self realization and how cool dogs and cats can be. :) Unfortunately, you see things coming long before the author had actually figured them out in her own life. Which, granted is much easier to say when you're not the person involved. It's short and kind of endearing. Worth reading in between larger books, sort of a book nosh.
Sharon
Sep 21, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook
Denise
Jan 04, 2015 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to review this...I found the title misleading. This is a book about the author's life trials & growth & somewhat about her animals. I expected the opposite. The advice given is good, uplifting even. I am just surprised to have been taken in by the title, I will be more careful in the future.
Jen
Sep 04, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
It was a cute and sweet quick read. It didn't go in depth into the author's life, more focused on the animals in her life, which was interesting. I did get very pissed off with the author when she left her animals due to a jerk of a man, but she seems to have finally gotten her head on straight. I wish the author and her little family well.
Angela
Oct 16, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I normally stay far away from anything remotely religious, but this book did not preach until the last page. I enjoyed the book enough to overlook that last page. If you are a pet owner you will enjoy this sweet autobiograghy.
AeHee
Jul 13, 2010 AeHee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in 2 hrs. Downloaded it free on B&N eReader app on my computer. Definitely cried a few times.
Misty
Mar 09, 2011 Misty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this chick is pretty high on the crazy scale.
Wendy
Jul 22, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.
Trisha
May 01, 2012 Trisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Thankful this was free! This story jumped all over the place and the editing was horrible. Sorry but not in the must read category.
Jess
Good story, but the timeline was all over the place. There was a severe lack if proper punctuation, especially commas. Paragraphs were also hard to come by.
Debra
Jan 23, 2011 Debra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This account of a woman and dog recovering from abuse may have been cathartic to write, but was disjointed and unconvincing. Honestly not sure why I finished it.
Ceola
Jan 08, 2014 Ceola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
I don't usually read NONFICTION , but when there is. Puppy,kitten or some 4legged friend I'll give it a shot.
And I must agree with the author. SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS HAVE HAIRY LEGS☺
Jacqueline
Jul 20, 2010 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Jacqueline by: avistan1@att.net
This is a very heart warming story how pets can help with dealing painful relationsips. It is funny and very sad but very well written. A very good read
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, wonderful message!
Kathleen
As an animal lover, I completely understood the author's message in writing this book. It was a quick, inspirational and enjoyable book to read.
Ilynca Fiedler
Apr 02, 2013 Ilynca Fiedler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh, it wasn't very good. More like a personal journal from a wanna be writer. Oh and she even talks to a dog physic and thinks her dog talks back to her. Humm....
Libby Caldwell
Jun 19, 2011 Libby Caldwell rated it liked it
Quite an uplifting story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Stacy Hanson
Stacy Hanson rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2011
Beckie
Beckie rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2011
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Cormac
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • 86'd
  • A Nose for Justice (Mags Rogers, #1)
  • A Man of Few Words
  • Shakespeare In an Hour
  • The Summer of Riley
  • Am I Boring My Dog: And 99 Other Things Every Dog Wishes You Knew
  • Cain's Apples
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • Ninja
  • The Wrong Husband (Nebraska Historicals, #5)
  • The Dog Said Bow-Wow
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Life Blood
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • DIY Cocktails: A simple guide to creating your own signature drinks
  • The Hands of the Buddha

“I choose to be happy now” 9 likes
“In spite of all the red flags and signs that Marc had more baggage than Imelda Marcos taking shoes on vacation, I continued to date him.” 4 likes