Start by marking “Breach of Trust: How Washington Turns Outsiders into Insiders” as Want to Read:
Breach of Trust: How Washington Turns Outsiders into Insiders

Breach of Trust: How Washington Turns Outsiders into Insiders

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Tom A. Coburn, a congressional maverick who kept his promise to serve three terms and then leave Washington, offers a candid look at the inner workings of Congress - why the system changes politicians instead of vice versa. Breach of Trust shows listeners, through shocking behind-the-scenes stories, why Washington resists the reform our country desperately needs and how th ...more
Audio
Published September 9th 2003 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Breach of Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breach of Trust

Ellis
The title of this book caught my interest. The forward was written by Bob Novak, that caught my interest, and not in a good way. I sensed that this book was going to be a hard one for me to read, but I tried to soldier on to do the hard, but necessary, work of taking information from all sources. Well, I didn't last long. After about 50 pages of Coburn telling me, from the Libertarian point of view, what the framers of the constitution intended (he's like a one-man Supreme Court) I just had to f ...more
Michael
This is a really insightful look at congressional sausage-making and pork-rolling. Coburn is a leading reformer in Congress and hasn't made many friends in Washington in the process. His warning proved prophetic as congressional Republicans were swept from power a few years later, largely as a result of perceived (and real) corruption and bridges to nowhere. The earmark culture that reached full bloom under the Republicans is a betrayal of conservative principles, and Coburn gives an insider's l ...more
Elena
Aug 26, 2008 Elena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
You may agree or disagree with Coburn's political views (conservative with somewhat idealistic portrayal of President Bush) but his goal is not to convince you either way. This book reveals the dirty politics that goes on in the federal government including the drifting away from the Constitution and the blatant lies to the people. Having served 3 terms as a congressman, Coburn provides an objective description of what he actually experienced. The book is informative, eye-opening, and surprising ...more
Voices Of
A disturbing account of a Republican congressman who entered in the Republican Revolution in 1996 and discovered quickly that the party that comes to power quickly adopts the mantel of the gift-giver. Washington turns even those who come with a resolve to make changes into insider whose main goal becomes getting reelected. And as Tom Coburn points out, when your number one goal is getting reelected, the best the taxpayer can do is come in second.
Josh
Richard Jackson
Sep 12, 2008 Richard Jackson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Richard by: Friend
Written by a physician who went to congress with a list of things he wanted to accomplish. Dedicated himself to one term even though many wanted him to remain. Tells what happens and how so many of the members of congress allow themselves to be bought off. Good reading. I have friends who know him personally and they say he is beyond reproach and dedicated to the country.
Hope Sutterfield
For a long time I wasn't a big fan of Senator Coburn. After I read this book my respect skyrocketed for him. He's not your every day politician. He could have easily won reelection and chose not to. He understands the fundamental flaw with career politicians and explains how that ideology is one of the main reason we are in the mess we are in today.
SueAnn
Tom Coburn has written a really eye opening book that explains with detail how things just do not get done in Washington DC because politicians are more concerned about their careers than they are in doing the right thing. The budget can be balanced if these characters were not misappropriating funds to meet their own interests.
Kristjan
A little outdated (published in 2003), but still a scary look into the way Washington "works". There are still plenty of career politician's in Washington that are much more concerned with getting reelected than serving the best long-term interests of their constituents and their country.
Max Duggan
It's a diagnosis of congress and specifically careerism as the underlying sickness. I would recommend this book for democrats and republicans, if you can get through the party rhetoric, there is some really good observations of the modern system.
Matthew
Fascinating. I was in Washington during the events described in this book. Coburn is a remarkable and unique citizen-statesmen. I wish we had more of them today...
The Preacher
Great book! A fascinating insider's look at Congress and the rash of ills which inflict our government today. Highly recommended.
Makes me really consider moving to another country!
Taylor
Good insight on what goes on in Congress.
Bobby
Bobby marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Manuel Chavez
Manuel Chavez marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Nick Rothstein
Nick Rothstein marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Ben Haymond
Ben Haymond marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Chris Nease
Chris Nease marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Brian Cechnicki
Brian Cechnicki marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Alicia Hunt
Alicia Hunt marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Tom A. Coburn, M.D. was elected to the U.S. Senate on November 2, 2004. Dr. Coburn and his wife, Carolyn, a graduate of Oklahoma State University and former Miss Oklahoma, were married in 1968 and have three children and five grandchildren. They are members of First Baptist Muskogee.

Prior to his election to the Senate, Dr. Coburn represented Oklahoma's Second Congressional District in the House of
More about Tom A. Coburn...
The Debt Bomb: A Bold Plan to Stop Washington from Bankrupting America Wastebook 2012 Federal Programs to Die For Wastebook 2011: A Guide to Some of the Most Wasteful and Low Priority Government Spending of 2011 Subsidies of the Rich and Famous