Start by marking “Excused Absence” as Want to Read:
Excused Absence

Excused Absence

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
God calls Christian parents to raise their kids for Him. But does this divine calling require a distinctively Christian education? Should Christian parents send their kids to public schools as "salt"
Published October 1st 2002 by Canon Press (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Excused Absence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excused Absence

John Gardner
Aug 29, 2010 John Gardner rated it it was amazing
This book should come with a warning label. Though I believe it to be a book every Christian parent ought to read, it is also a book which cannot be read without forcing readers to seriously challenge their previously held and sometimes deeply rooted assumptions about the nature of education. It's one of the things I love so much about Doug Wilson's writing: This book may not change any of the decisions you have made about your child's education, but it will, at the very least, make your decisio ...more
Jon
As a father of pre-school age children, I've spent many hours in the past year thinking and reading about education. Excused Absence by Douglas Wilson is an excellent book to challenge your thinking on the subject. He tackles the very nature of education and puts it into context of the modern American educational system. While I didn't come to all the same convictions and conclusions as him, I could not walk away from this book without thinking deeply on many important questions about how I choo ...more
Ric
Sep 25, 2008 Ric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those dissatisfied with the overall outcome of their children's education, faith, worldview, etc.
Cutting to the chase: Yes, they should.

This claim by such a well-reasoned author should come as no surprise, but it may strike many (even professing Christians) as offensive, separatist, legalistic, etc. These reactions only serve to prove that our culture — WE — have been completely indoctrinated in "tolerance" and relativism.

No educational scenario is neutral: it cannot be. Every education purports a worldview. The current world view of the government school system is that "God" (or any discus
Dan Glover
Oct 26, 2010 Dan Glover rated it really liked it
In this brief book, Doug Wilson argues from Scripture, history, pedagogy and the current state of secular public schools to put forward a strong case for, and defense of, the obligation of Christian parents to ensure their children receive a thorough and holistic, biblically faithful Christian education. In so doing, Wilson smashes much of the fuzzy thinking on this emotional topic. Readers will likely either love or hate this book and this is largely due to Wilson's straight forward and unapolo ...more
William Newsom
May 03, 2010 William Newsom rated it it was amazing
Second time through this one, and worth the read once more. One of the great battlegrounds of our time, won by the enemy convincing us to enlist our fledgling soldiers in their schools. Would that every Christian reads this! Interesting to read in conjunction with John Taylor Gatto's Dumbing Us Down, for, while both authors come to the same conclusion (government schools are a horror, flawed in their very foundations), they do so in different ways, sometimes even referring to the same historical ...more
Julie Bayham
Jun 20, 2015 Julie Bayham rated it it was amazing
Douglas Wilson put words to the thoughts and feelings in my heart regarding our recent decision to homeschool our children next school year after five years in the public school system. Although I am confident in what God has called us to, there are days I doubt and fear. This book is for those days! The very last paragraph sums it up perfectly:

"We worship a sovereign God who uses means to accomplish His ends. Parents are the means to educate and train their children in the nurture and admonitio
Matthew
Jan 27, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
Wilson's reasoning is good, but his conclusions are presumptive and overstated.
Adam T Calvert
Sep 19, 2011 Adam T Calvert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
By far one of my favorite books by Douglas Wilson. In Excused Absence he takes the reader through a difficult look at state education in America, a Biblical analysis of it, and a Christian response to it.

Like any of his books, he writes with a conversational (and confrontational) style. But his points are argued from Scripture, and it's really hard not to at least do some self-reflection (in light of the Scripture) with each chapter.

As with any author, I'm sure there are places where the reader
D. Ryan
Nov 30, 2015 D. Ryan rated it it was amazing
For me, this book is preaching to the choir, but a really enjoyable read. Pastor Wilson makes some strong arguments for opting out of state run schools and, always practical, some really great advice for parents on educating children. A great read.
Jake Mcatee
Nov 25, 2015 Jake Mcatee rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read on exhorting Christian parents to remove their children from public schools. Wilson, as usual writes with wit and fervor and makes the case clear and biblical.
Aaron Ventura
Feb 03, 2016 Aaron Ventura rated it it was amazing
Must read for all Christians in America.
Peter N.
Sep 11, 2012 Peter N. rated it it was amazing
A small book that is like putting dynamite under the foundation of public education. Pastor Wilson systematically exposes the problems with Christians sending their children to public schools. He then answers objections to his thesis and explains some temptations with Christian education whether in a Christian school or at home. He roots the book in Scripture and the covenant that God has brought his people into. This book is a must read for anyone who thinks public school is a valid educational ...more
Gary
Jun 23, 2013 Gary rated it it was amazing
Doug keeps himself to the most pertinent points and drives them home with unerring precision. His emphasise on covenantal faithfulness and the need for genuine repentance is especially welcome.

The author is well known for his deep wisdom and he excels here. Both Christian schools and homeschoolers are provided with some great discussion on the pitfalls that they are most prone to.

Loved it, very helpful.

Favourite part: the short history of public education(state education, for we Brits).
Amber
Apr 05, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
I have homeschooled, public schooled, and private schooled my children. I have seen the pros and cons of each and now that I'm teaching at a classical Christian school, was required to read this book. While I don't agree with all of the concepts set forth in this writing, I agree with the heart of it. This book will cause the reader to take a good hard look at education choices for your children and seek to find the reasons why.
James Aaron Kirkpatrick
May 31, 2014 James Aaron Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-in-2014
The last sentence of the book is an excellent summary of the primary reason Douglas Wilson writes everything in this book and in all the others he's written about Christians providing their children with a Christian education: "May we praise Him all the days of our lives as we educate and train our children to join us around His glorious throne!"
Shawn
May 28, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it
Great.
Shelby Stafford
Jul 27, 2012 Shelby Stafford rated it it was amazing
"Autonomous man wants to make up his own standards of truth, his own standards of of goodnes, and, not surprisingly , his own standards of beauty. Just as this autonomy has destroyed all coherent notions of truth and goodness, it has destroyed the standard of beauty"

Legalism- rule making detached from the Word of God
James
Oct 10, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
There are no excuses. What you may pose as such are merely farts in the wind as reasons to leave the responsibility of your children's education on someone who cares little for you child, and even less for the God who gave them to you.
Caleb
Oct 10, 2012 Caleb rated it liked it
Wilson sometimes overstates his case, and his exegesis often seems more proof-texty than genuine, but overall he makes a solid case for an exodus out of the public school system.
M.G. Bianco
Oct 14, 2008 M.G. Bianco rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This is a great book on why our children should not be in public schools, but should rather receive a thoroughly Christian education.
Paul Finch
Jun 25, 2014 Paul Finch rated it really liked it
Every young couple should read this and consider why they would even consider putting their child in public school.
Katherine
May 14, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
It's a thing of beauty when Douglas Wilson warms to this particular topic. An excellent book.
Kelli
Dec 25, 2012 Kelli rated it really liked it
The author makes a great case for choosing Christian education over public schools.
James B.
Nov 15, 2009 James B. rated it it was amazing
Christian parents should take their kids out of government schools yesterday.
Andrew
Sep 07, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Life changing. Still refer to it ten years after I first read it.
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 Becky Pliego rated it it was amazing
Excellent book.
Jeff Short
Jeff Short marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Mike Earl
Mike Earl marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.
More about Douglas Wilson...