Start by marking “Excused Absence: Should Christian Kids Leave Public Schools?” as Want to Read:
Excused Absence: Should Christian Kids Leave Public Schools?

Excused Absence: Should Christian Kids Leave Public Schools?

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  20 reviews
God calls Christian parents to raise their kids for Him. But does this divine calling require a distinctively Christian education? Should Christian parents send their kids to public schools as "salt"
Published July 1st 2001 by Crux Pr Inc

To ask other readers questions about Excused Absence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excused Absence

John Gardner
This book should come with a warning label. Though I believe it to be a book every Christian parent ought to read, it is also a book which cannot be read without forcing readers to seriously challenge their previously held and sometimes deeply rooted assumptions about the nature of education. It's one of the things I love so much about Doug Wilson's writing: This book may not change any of the decisions you have made about your child's education, but it will, at the very least, make your decisio ...more
Ric
Sep 25, 2008 Ric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those dissatisfied with the overall outcome of their children's education, faith, worldview, etc.
Cutting to the chase: Yes, they should.

This claim by such a well-reasoned author should come as no surprise, but it may strike many (even professing Christians) as offensive, separatist, legalistic, etc. These reactions only serve to prove that our culture — WE — have been completely indoctrinated in "tolerance" and relativism.

No educational scenario is neutral: it cannot be. Every education purports a worldview. The current world view of the government school system is that "God" (or any discus
Dan Glover
In this brief book, Doug Wilson argues from Scripture, history, pedagogy and the current state of secular public schools to put forward a strong case for, and defense of, the obligation of Christian parents to ensure their children receive a thorough and holistic, biblically faithful Christian education. In so doing, Wilson smashes much of the fuzzy thinking on this emotional topic. Readers will likely either love or hate this book and this is largely due to Wilson's straight forward and unapolo ...more
William Newsom
Second time through this one, and worth the read once more. One of the great battlegrounds of our time, won by the enemy convincing us to enlist our fledgling soldiers in their schools. Would that every Christian reads this! Interesting to read in conjunction with John Taylor Gatto's Dumbing Us Down, for, while both authors come to the same conclusion (government schools are a horror, flawed in their very foundations), they do so in different ways, sometimes even referring to the same historical ...more
Matthew
Wilson's reasoning is good, but his conclusions are presumptive and overstated.
Adam T Calvert
By far one of my favorite books by Douglas Wilson. In Excused Absence he takes the reader through a difficult look at state education in America, a Biblical analysis of it, and a Christian response to it.

Like any of his books, he writes with a conversational (and confrontational) style. But his points are argued from Scripture, and it's really hard not to at least do some self-reflection (in light of the Scripture) with each chapter.

As with any author, I'm sure there are places where the reader
Peter N.
A small book that is like putting dynamite under the foundation of public education. Pastor Wilson systematically exposes the problems with Christians sending their children to public schools. He then answers objections to his thesis and explains some temptations with Christian education whether in a Christian school or at home. He roots the book in Scripture and the covenant that God has brought his people into. This book is a must read for anyone who thinks public school is a valid educational ...more
Gary
Doug keeps himself to the most pertinent points and drives them home with unerring precision. His emphasise on covenantal faithfulness and the need for genuine repentance is especially welcome.

The author is well known for his deep wisdom and he excels here. Both Christian schools and homeschoolers are provided with some great discussion on the pitfalls that they are most prone to.

Loved it, very helpful.

Favourite part: the short history of public education(state education, for we Brits).
Amber
I have homeschooled, public schooled, and private schooled my children. I have seen the pros and cons of each and now that I'm teaching at a classical Christian school, was required to read this book. While I don't agree with all of the concepts set forth in this writing, I agree with the heart of it. This book will cause the reader to take a good hard look at education choices for your children and seek to find the reasons why.
James Kirkpatrick
The last sentence of the book is an excellent summary of the primary reason Douglas Wilson writes everything in this book and in all the others he's written about Christians providing their children with a Christian education: "May we praise Him all the days of our lives as we educate and train our children to join us around His glorious throne!"
Shelby Stafford
"Autonomous man wants to make up his own standards of truth, his own standards of of goodnes, and, not surprisingly , his own standards of beauty. Just as this autonomy has destroyed all coherent notions of truth and goodness, it has destroyed the standard of beauty"

Legalism- rule making detached from the Word of God
James
There are no excuses. What you may pose as such are merely farts in the wind as reasons to leave the responsibility of your children's education on someone who cares little for you child, and even less for the God who gave them to you.
Caleb
Wilson sometimes overstates his case, and his exegesis often seems more proof-texty than genuine, but overall he makes a solid case for an exodus out of the public school system.
M.G. Bianco
This is a great book on why our children should not be in public schools, but should rather receive a thoroughly Christian education.
Paul Finch
Every young couple should read this and consider why they would even consider putting their child in public school.
Katherine Kirkpatrick
It's a thing of beauty when Douglas Wilson warms to this particular topic. An excellent book.
Kelli
The author makes a great case for choosing Christian education over public schools.
James B.
Christian parents should take their kids out of government schools yesterday.
Andrew
Life changing. Still refer to it ten years after I first read it.
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Nikiandcory
Nikiandcory marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Caleb Ripple
Caleb Ripple marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Jae Kim
Jae Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Kyle Grindberg
Kyle Grindberg marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Nick Schoeneberger
Nick Schoeneberger marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Cindi
Cindi added it
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.
More about Douglas Wilson...
Reforming Marriage Future Men Her Hand in Marriage Wordsmithy: Hot Tips for the Writing Life Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning