Start by marking “The Change (Animorphs, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Change (Animorphs, #13)

The Change (Animorphs #13)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,834 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Ever since he morphed into a red-tailed hawk, Tobias has not been about to return to human form. Now an Ellimist has returned Tobias' power to get out of his hawk morph and to transform into other animals. But will Tobias ever really be human again?
ebook
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Change

Noella
Tobias has always been different from the other members of the Animorphs ever since he morphed into a red tailed hawk, stayed in that morph for more than 2 hours and got stuck. I really enjoyed Tobias' POV as he's a great strategist and has a more mature outlook than anyone else.

In this book Tobias and his friends help two Hork-Bajirs who have escaped the clutches of the Yeerks. (view spoiler)
Lora
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

All of my feelings, every feeling, a glowing surfeit of feelings. I love Tobias, I love his and Rachel's tentative feelings (shuttered off by impossibility; as Tobias points out, you think Romeo & Juliet had it bad, try caring for someone of another species) and everything else. I love that Rachel didn't fall for Tobias until after he became a hawk.

The Ellimist: still a jerk. I love how everyone is like :/ and Ax is outright >( about it. I enjoy so
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

Tobias is ending up where doesn’t meant to be, at the exact right time and place to rescue a pair of escaped Hork-Bajir. Who is the puppet master, and can the Animorphs help the Hork-Bajir in time to escape the Yeerks?

This is one of those novels that is too early in the series for Applegate to have a strong grasp on what the rules of the Ellimist’s game is. It may be that he was allowed to free two Hork-Bajir because his opponent did something equally as e
Jen
Having kept Tobias as the one constant amidst the ever-changing (literally) Animorphs, Applegate uses the Ellimist to bring him back in. I really appreciated how sly it was, that the moment Tobias's choice is made makes it both no real choice at all and also slams home the concept that what's done can't be undone, not really. One of the things I truly appreciate about this series is that it rarely glosses the impact of choices and changes.
I also really appreciated the introduction of the Hork-Ba
Julie Decker
Tobias is trapped in a hawk body and remains the only member of the Animorphs team who can't morph. But he makes the best of his days trying to use his keen hawk vision and flight advantages to track Yeerk pool entrances. He's showing some to Rachel when he mysteriously ends up somewhere he didn't intend to--just in time to guide some escaping Hork-Bajir to safety. The Animorphs find that the poor alien Hork-Bajir--one male and one female--do not have Yeerks in their heads and are the only free ...more
Swankivy
Tobias not only gets his morphing powers back--allowing him to experience human life again for limited times--but finds strength in being able to be a useful member of the team again. It's an amazing volume.

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

It appears to be a shock to the group that Hork-Bajir could be female, so it seems they must have been thinking of them as genderless or male. What's strange is how Marco fires off a bunch of jokes based on female stereotypes when he hears that Hork-Bajir h
Julie
I forged too far ahead and now I can't remember my exact impressions! This one's good, lots of Tobias feelings, I do still fly my Tobias/Rachel flag tall and strong. Wonderful gamechanger at the end of this one, too.

--- OH WAIT, RIGHT, THIS IS THE HORK-BAJIR BOOK!!! More great things, expanding the world and learning a bit more about the aliens that populate it. I love when the Animorphs concretely move the war effort along rather than just stalemate-ing; it warms my heart.

quotes to come later
Rebecca McNutt
As usual, this book in the series had choppy sentences and limited vocabulary. The scene with the raccoon was intense and well-written, but for the most part this book just dragged on unnecessarily.
Alan Gilfoy
"Liked Tobias and Ellimist tolerable"

It was great to have Tobias/Rachel feels from his POV.

The Hork-Bajir escape was feels of a different sort, as well as great exposition and action.

Controllers using human weapons makes sense as a way to help avoid blowing their cover. Also, it seems the Yeerks are working with limited resources, maybe one reason they're going for a slow infiltration rather than open war.

"Other differences too, but only for Hork-Bajir to know" - they're at least smart enoguh to
surge99
Another story with a similar theme would be either Harry Potter or Varjak Paw.

In the Animorphs series there are 54 books so I can't explain them all.

The author has mentioned Yeerks a lot because all the books are about the Animorphs fighting the Yeerks.

The effect of a cliffhanger in this story would be the reader thinking: are they going to survive. And then the reader wants to read more to find out what's going to happen next.
Chelsea Gouin
I really wasn't expecting to hear from Tobias, but so glad he got his own book again! Tobias has always been my favorite Animorph and things were looking grim when he had exceeded his 2-hour morph limit and was forever trapped in the body of a hawk. So, being a young adult no longer able to do normal human things, has left Tobias frustrated. He wants to join the Animorphs in the fight for the Yerks and he gets his opportunity when two Hork-Bajirs lose their Yerk Controllers. Using Hawk-knowledge ...more
Elijah
Interesting book. I liked the part when Rachel saved the little boy from the alligator pit.
J.N.

Plot:

This book is much more different than the others. In this one, we get to learn more about the Hork-Bajir. Tobias also goes through a significant change.

Setting:

The setting is still in the same town the kids live in like in all the other books, but we get to see more of the forest type of areas, which is neat.

Characters:

Tobias really grows as a character in this one. While the others are mentioned, most of this book concerns Tobias and the Hork-Bajir.

Relationships:

The relationships for the m
Almira
"Hi Rachel" is the best line ever. xD

When I was in sixth grade, Tobias was already my favorite. I couldn't relate to any of his problems, but that's probably one of the reasons. He's like a quiet person, and sort of the kind that is always alone.

In this book which I had read for like five times already, Tobias was given an important task by the Ellimist, the powerful being who claim to not meddle, but meddles. The Ellimists remind me of gods.

When Tobias realized that the Ellimist was behind this
Janelle Dazzlepants
Bonesy
Although Tobias is my favorite Animorph, this book wasn't very exciting to read. This is the book where two Hork-Bajir manage to escape the Yeerks with the help of Tobias and The Ellimist. The Ellimist tells Tobias he'll give him his human body back if he gets the Hork-Bajir to the valley in the forest, but really he just gives him the power to morph (he still has the body of a hawk). Tobias is pissed off about this and we get to hear all of his moody ranting about how he wishes he was human aga ...more
Marchel
It's the thirteen stories about Animorphs. It's Tobias show.....

If you ever dream about flying out there when you looking out through a window, and I know you must be dreaming about it at least once, I'm sure you'll be happy if you can fly like a bird.

But, what about be a bird, fly as a bird, and live as a bird? Tobias now must live as a bird, a red-tail eagle to be exact. He must kill other animal if he want to eat. He must protect his own teritory in order to keep his food stock.

When Tobias s
Samantha González
Este libro al ser el narrador Tobias ya se gano una estrella.
Tobias ya se acostumbro a no ser mas humano y a vivir con Ax en el bosque, pero aparece el Elimista (no recuerdo si se escribia asi) y le dice que le podria dar lo que el quisiera, pero Tobias no sabe bien que hacer por que sabe que el Elimista es medio engañoso.
A su vez el y Rachel descubren a dos Hork-bajires que escaparon del estanque Yerk y necesitas esconderlos en algun lado para que no los maten los Yerks.

Le di cuatro historias m
Cereus
Alex
YES! I'm so happy to have made it to this book. I remembered this plot vividly, but had no idea what book it appeared in. I was waiting impatiently to get to it, because I absolutely love Tobias. The ending still makes me choke up a bit. =)

Unfortunately, my library doesn't have the next book in the series, but does have book 15. Hopefully I won't be missing too much.
Marc
I'm sorry. I read it once, and that is the only time I ever read it. I love to hear the story from a hawk's eye view, but the ending did NOT cut it. I mean, come on, it ended way to quickly and not in an very exciting way. Even the story was fine, but it is still far less from excellent when compared to the first one.
Valerie Newby
Yay Tobias! Lots of interesting potential from this book. More of potential allies for the Animorphs. More of exactly how much the Ellimist "doesn't" interfere. Including a special time leap and all.
I had an actual comment, but forgot to write this review immediately after reading...
Jessica
It was difficult to find what animations book I read, and I was pleased when I finally did. It is a great book and I wish I could read some of the others.
Beth
It's so nice having Tobias back. What with him not being able to morph anymore, he hasn't been given much of a voice. Though the pity level is increasing the longer Tobias is trapped in morph, it's nice to see that Marco's "humor" has adapted to the situation and is making fun of it. By avoiding it, everyone else is making the situation worse.

It was also nice to have a plot change. Up until now, it's been battle after battle with the yeerks and trying to deal them a blow. Finally they are actual
Katelynn
This was one of my favourites of the series as a kid. Still holds up. <3
Jerry
I love long series like this; they feel like television serials.
Jenny
24/25
5 original
5 good topic
4 fast read
5 plot
5 opinion
Sharon
I think Tobias has a lot of fans among Animorph readers and I count myself as one of them. He's such an interesting, dynamic character who is more at home as a hawk than he is as a human. I think, perhaps, as a hawk, he has total control over his own life. As a human, and specifically a kid, he was at the mercy of the school and his constantly shifting relatives. Still this book plays with the dynamic of what he really wants. Even he doesn't know what he really wants. I think the compromise at t ...more
Danielle
I love reading Tobias POV
Christine Zarah
Of all the Animorphs books I've read, there is only one that still sticks to mind: the one where Tobias had a dream that a hawk visited him. It was one of the first books that introduced me to the wonders of time travelling. I still remember myself getting confused about it and thinking of so many what-ifs, it was amazing. Now, I'm not sure if this is the right book but I went to wiki and the summary kind of agree with what I'm saying so hurray for being in my favorites shelf!
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)
  • The Beast from the East (Goosebumps, #43)
  • Book of Earth (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
  • Another Amy (Replica, #3)
  • Death Note Box Set
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 7 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #7)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)

“Imagine being the only two free humans in all the world” 7 likes