Start by marking “The Change (Animorphs, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Change (Animorphs, #13)

The Change (Animorphs #13)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,136 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Ever since he morphed into a red-tailed hawk, Tobias has not been about to return to human form. Now an Ellimist has returned Tobias' power to get out of his hawk morph and to transform into other animals. But will Tobias ever really be human again?
ebook
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Change

Lora
Feb 21, 2015 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

All of my feelings, every feeling, a glowing surfeit of feelings. I love Tobias, I love his and Rachel's tentative feelings (shuttered off by impossibility; as Tobias points out, you think Romeo & Juliet had it bad, try caring for someone of another species) and everything else. I love that Rachel didn't fall for Tobias until after he became a hawk.

The Ellimist: still a jerk. I love how everyone is like :/ and Ax is outright >( about it. I enjoy so
Noella
Mar 09, 2015 Noella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mar15-the-chaser
Tobias has always been different from the other members of the Animorphs ever since he morphed into a red tailed hawk, stayed in that morph for more than 2 hours and got stuck. I really enjoyed Tobias' POV as he's a great strategist and has a more mature outlook than anyone else.

In this book Tobias and his friends help two Hork-Bajirs who have escaped the clutches of the Yeerks. (view spoiler)
Nemo (Young Adult At Heart)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

Tobias is ending up where doesn’t meant to be, at the exact right time and place to rescue a pair of escaped Hork-Bajir. Who is the puppet master, and can the Animorphs help the Hork-Bajir in time to escape the Yeerks?

This is one of those novels that is too early in the series for Applegate to have a strong grasp on what the rules of the Ellimist’s game is. It may be that he was allowed to free two Hork-Bajir because his opponent did something equally as e
Ben Babcock
The titles of Animorphs novels might seem mundane, but they are always appropriate. The Change begins as another supposedly simple Animorphs versus Yeerks plot. It turns out to be so much more. Still, an alternative and equally appropriate title might have been The Hope.

Following the revelations from The Andalite Chronicles, Applegate finally returns to the perspective of the most marginalized Animorph, Tobias. Trapped in hawk morph, a nothlit, Tobias can’t exactly contribute to missions in the
Jen
Apr 07, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having kept Tobias as the one constant amidst the ever-changing (literally) Animorphs, Applegate uses the Ellimist to bring him back in. I really appreciated how sly it was, that the moment Tobias's choice is made makes it both no real choice at all and also slams home the concept that what's done can't be undone, not really. One of the things I truly appreciate about this series is that it rarely glosses the impact of choices and changes.
I also really appreciated the introduction of the Hork-Ba
Julie Decker
Aug 06, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tobias is trapped in a hawk body and remains the only member of the Animorphs team who can't morph. But he makes the best of his days trying to use his keen hawk vision and flight advantages to track Yeerk pool entrances. He's showing some to Rachel when he mysteriously ends up somewhere he didn't intend to--just in time to guide some escaping Hork-Bajir to safety. The Animorphs find that the poor alien Hork-Bajir--one male and one female--do not have Yeerks in their heads and are the only free ...more
Swankivy
Aug 05, 2014 Swankivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tobias not only gets his morphing powers back--allowing him to experience human life again for limited times--but finds strength in being able to be a useful member of the team again. It's an amazing volume.

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

It appears to be a shock to the group that Hork-Bajir could be female, so it seems they must have been thinking of them as genderless or male. What's strange is how Marco fires off a bunch of jokes based on female stereotypes when he hears that Hork-Bajir h
Julie
Mar 19, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forged too far ahead and now I can't remember my exact impressions! This one's good, lots of Tobias feelings, I do still fly my Tobias/Rachel flag tall and strong. Wonderful gamechanger at the end of this one, too.

--- OH WAIT, RIGHT, THIS IS THE HORK-BAJIR BOOK!!! More great things, expanding the world and learning a bit more about the aliens that populate it. I love when the Animorphs concretely move the war effort along rather than just stalemate-ing; it warms my heart.

quotes to come later
Rebecca McNutt
As usual, this book in the series had choppy sentences and limited vocabulary. The scene with the raccoon was intense and well-written, but for the most part this book just dragged on unnecessarily.
Benjamin
Sep 22, 2015 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a few episodic books, it was a great change to have one with some major plot developments as well as difficult internal struggles for the characters to deal with. I feel this book gets back to what makes the series good rather than just being merely interesting.
Tommy Grooms
May 21, 2016 Tommy Grooms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Change marks a major shift in the series. Tobias is brought back into the fight, in an unexpected but not wholly unsatisfying way. Thanks to the Ellimist, all his bird-boy angst is preserved and we're left with an uncertain hope for the rest of the series in a "normal" life (presumably with Rachel) if and when the war with the Yeerks is over. The free Hork-Bajir colony is established and we learn more reasons to feel sympathetic for the walking razor-blades in the process. The butterfly effe ...more
Alan Gilfoy
Jul 27, 2014 Alan Gilfoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Liked Tobias and Ellimist tolerable"

It was great to have Tobias/Rachel feels from his POV.

The Hork-Bajir escape was feels of a different sort, as well as great exposition and action.

Controllers using human weapons makes sense as a way to help avoid blowing their cover. Also, it seems the Yeerks are working with limited resources, maybe one reason they're going for a slow infiltration rather than open war.

"Other differences too, but only for Hork-Bajir to know" - they're at least smart enoguh to
surge99
Jan 05, 2009 surge99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another story with a similar theme would be either Harry Potter or Varjak Paw.

In the Animorphs series there are 54 books so I can't explain them all.

The author has mentioned Yeerks a lot because all the books are about the Animorphs fighting the Yeerks.

The effect of a cliffhanger in this story would be the reader thinking: are they going to survive. And then the reader wants to read more to find out what's going to happen next.
Nikki
May 10, 2016 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Tobias, my precious little marshmallow! I love the Ellimist and how things never turn out how you think they will when they are involved. Also, the ending of this one is the beeeeeeesssst. My little heart melts!
Elijah S
Interesting book. I liked the part when Rachel saved the little boy from the alligator pit.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Megan Elfman
I am definitely biased for Tobias’s narration. So, can I just give this book 10 stars already? I loved it, from beginning to end. I love Tobias’s internal struggle, yet also his acceptance of himself. I love how he wishes for human things, but at the same time, he does not want to give up what he has gained in being a hawk. I get so emotional when reading Tobias’s narration more so than with any of the other Animorphs, what with him grappling with who he is and who he wants to be, and what it me ...more
J.N.
Apr 08, 2015 J.N. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Plot:

This book is much more different than the others. In this one, we get to learn more about the Hork-Bajir. Tobias also goes through a significant change.

Setting:

The setting is still in the same town the kids live in like in all the other books, but we get to see more of the forest type of areas, which is neat.

Characters:

Tobias really grows as a character in this one. While the others are mentioned, most of this book concerns Tobias and the Hork-Bajir.

Relationships:

The relationships for the m
Almira
"Hi Rachel" is the best line ever. xD

When I was in sixth grade, Tobias was already my favorite. I couldn't relate to any of his problems, but that's probably one of the reasons. He's like a quiet person, and sort of the kind that is always alone.

In this book which I had read for like five times already, Tobias was given an important task by the Ellimist, the powerful being who claim to not meddle, but meddles. The Ellimists remind me of gods.

When Tobias realized that the Ellimist was behind this
Janelle Dazzlepants
Bonesy
Although Tobias is my favorite Animorph, this book wasn't very exciting to read. This is the book where two Hork-Bajir manage to escape the Yeerks with the help of Tobias and The Ellimist. The Ellimist tells Tobias he'll give him his human body back if he gets the Hork-Bajir to the valley in the forest, but really he just gives him the power to morph (he still has the body of a hawk). Tobias is pissed off about this and we get to hear all of his moody ranting about how he wishes he was human aga ...more
Marchel
Jan 14, 2011 Marchel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the thirteen stories about Animorphs. It's Tobias show.....

If you ever dream about flying out there when you looking out through a window, and I know you must be dreaming about it at least once, I'm sure you'll be happy if you can fly like a bird.

But, what about be a bird, fly as a bird, and live as a bird? Tobias now must live as a bird, a red-tail eagle to be exact. He must kill other animal if he want to eat. He must protect his own teritory in order to keep his food stock.

When Tobias s
Samantha González
Este libro al ser el narrador Tobias ya se gano una estrella.
Tobias ya se acostumbro a no ser mas humano y a vivir con Ax en el bosque, pero aparece el Elimista (no recuerdo si se escribia asi) y le dice que le podria dar lo que el quisiera, pero Tobias no sabe bien que hacer por que sabe que el Elimista es medio engañoso.
A su vez el y Rachel descubren a dos Hork-bajires que escaparon del estanque Yerk y necesitas esconderlos en algun lado para que no los maten los Yerks.

Le di cuatro historias m
Cereus
Chelsea Gouin
Mar 25, 2016 Chelsea Gouin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animorphs
I really wasn't expecting to hear from Tobias, but so glad he got his own book again! Tobias has always been my favorite Animorph and things were looking grim when he had exceeded his 2-hour morph limit and was forever trapped in the body of a hawk. So, being a young adult no longer able to do normal human things, has left Tobias frustrated. He wants to join the Animorphs in the fight for the Yerks and he gets his opportunity when two Hork-Bajirs lose their Yerk Controllers. Using Hawk-knowledge ...more
Alex
YES! I'm so happy to have made it to this book. I remembered this plot vividly, but had no idea what book it appeared in. I was waiting impatiently to get to it, because I absolutely love Tobias. The ending still makes me choke up a bit. =)

Unfortunately, my library doesn't have the next book in the series, but does have book 15. Hopefully I won't be missing too much.
Valerie Newby
Yay Tobias! Lots of interesting potential from this book. More of potential allies for the Animorphs. More of exactly how much the Ellimist "doesn't" interfere. Including a special time leap and all.
I had an actual comment, but forgot to write this review immediately after reading...
Mariam
I'm glad we got a better look of the Hork-Bajir. It always seemed like the kids never gave a second thought before hurting them, even though they knew tjey were enslaved forcibly like the humans. I'm glad that issue got confronted. Always felt iffy about it.
And Tobias. Oh, my poor child. He has the worst life. At least he got something out of this.
Beth
Jan 24, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so nice having Tobias back. What with him not being able to morph anymore, he hasn't been given much of a voice. Though the pity level is increasing the longer Tobias is trapped in morph, it's nice to see that Marco's "humor" has adapted to the situation and is making fun of it. By avoiding it, everyone else is making the situation worse.

It was also nice to have a plot change. Up until now, it's been battle after battle with the yeerks and trying to deal them a blow. Finally they are actual
Timothy Boyd
Jan 24, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic SiFi series for a young reader. I enjoyed reading these with my daughter. The storyline is good and the plot interesting, wouldn't take much to make these great adult SiFi stories. Highly recommended
Whitney
Sep 08, 2015 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always liked this one. At least Tobias gets to be a bigger part of the group now.
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)
  • Perfect Girls (Replica, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8
  • Book of Earth (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #5)
  • The Beast from the East (Goosebumps, #43)
  • Death Note Box Set
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 7 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #7)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)

“Imagine being the only two free humans in all the world” 8 likes