Start by marking “Inner Harbor (The Chesapeake Bay Saga #3)” as Want to Read:
Inner Harbor (The Chesapeake Bay Saga #3)

Inner Harbor (Chesapeake Bay Saga #3)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  25,102 Ratings  ·  501 Reviews
The breathtaking saga of the Quinn brothers on the windswept shores of the Chesapeake Bay.
Published January 1st 1999 by Jove Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Harbor, please sign up.

Lucinda Elliot OK, pushing aside those who rushed to answer this question, I'll answer it myself, as I got hold of a copy from the library.
The short answer is, no,…more
The short answer is, no, it isn't a rape,because this tiresome man does ask for her consent after he's 'shanghied' the heroine and taken her to the deserted cove of romance. He does say, 'Tell me you don't want me' etc. Her reply is evasive: 'This will only complicate things'.
Still, he is rough and overbearing enough for me to find the whole scene disturbing.
It's interesting that Regis mentions that the scene has been 'reviled'. If so, it can't have been on the web, as I could find no mention of this particular scene in discussions on the novel. (less)

Kristalia
Final rating: 4.75/5 stars

Sometimes it's really hard for me to write a review for a book. But I really loved this one and I just don't have enough words to express it. I'm starting to really love Nora's writing and the emotinal level she is able to wring out of a person. This series is dark - it's about people with really, really horrifying pasts, but they have been saved and given opportunity to live their lives to the fullest. And to save the last person their benefactor wanted to help. It's w
Helena
Feb 14, 2017 Helena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phil no es mi hermano favorito pero sin duda tiene un hueco en mi corazón. El personaje mejor construido es el de Sybill, es tan complejo, tan humano... verla desprenderse de todo sentido común ha sido divertido y absorbente.
jenjn79
Apr 23, 2008 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers / Nora Roberts fans
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series / favorite author
Of the 4 Chesapeake Bay / Quinn books, this one is my least favorite. Not because it's a bad book. It's really not. But just because of a matter of personal tastes.

Inner Harbor features Phillip Quinn, the 3rd troubled boy taken in by Stella and Ray Quinn when he was a teenager. Before they'd rescued him in, he'd been a street thug who ended up with bullets in his chest in a drive-by shooting. But Ray and Stella changed his life, gave him a future. When Ray died and Seth became partially his resp
Jacob Proffitt
This one continued my steady progression of liking each slightly better than the last. It also carries on the series tradition of having a quirk or two that was at least mildly off-putting for my enjoyment.

I ended up liking Philip more than I expected to. I'm not so much a fan of urbanite pretty-boys with expensive tastes. I knew that going in so I was braced. Fortunately, he's much better than the other books lead me to expect, though he is, yes, an urbanite pretty-boy with expensive tastes. He
Jana
The main thing I object is, cliché. Am I that stupid? Yes, I am. I really enjoy romances, quick light fix of alpha male and alpha female, just it’s hard to find an intelligent romance. But it is. Most of them are so badly written, that every time when I see so many 5 stars, I think about the readers and the old lady and her cats metaphor. Don't you have any whatsoever criteria if you rate THIS book 5 stars?

Why do they have to be so transparent? Quick fix doesn't necessarily need to be shallow a
Laura V.
2,5/5

Decepción. Desilusión.

No me gustó el romance. No funcionó para mí. El principal problema es Sybil, seguramente esconde muchas cosas en su interior y se entiende un poco, pero no hace que me caiga bien. El romance es frio, no tiene gracia. Ella entra en la familia Quinn con dobles intenciones y yo no puedo perdonarle su ingenuidad. Es una farsa de profesional, nadie que estudie el comportamiento humano puede ser tan estúpido para no diferenciar una broma juguetona entre hermanos, o peor aún,
Brenda (b)
Oh it's wonderful. I loved this one too. These are not 3 cookie cutter stories where everything is the same in all the books. Each has it's own way of telling the story even though they all focus on the theme of family. Each brother gives up something from his lifestyle to find that connection with family and Seth. And they all find that they're happier because of it. IMO, it's a good conclusion to the mystery of Seth's parentage and the resolution of his guardianship. I enjoyed the romance betw ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have become so familiar with the characters in this series and the more books I read the more I have fallen in love with these 4 amazing guys. . I have been along on the Quinn brother’s journey to becoming a strong and close family since the sudden death of their adopted father, Ray Quinn and it feels as if they are now my friends, who I care for and want to ultimately see happy.

The 3rd book tells the story of Phillip Quinn, the sophisticated, stylish, and gorgeous advertising man, that likes
Elena
3.5*

While far from amazing, this one is the best one in the series so far.... Too dramatic, as usual, but not as over-the-top as the previous two books! I liked both main characters... Finally some conclusion to the family drama , even though there is one more book (although i think that one was written much later?) ...
Teresa
Feb 25, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one mostly for the relationship of these foster brothers. I adore Seth and can't wait to get to his book.
Anita
Jan 26, 2014 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle-own
I loved Chesapeake Bay Saga series and I was caught up with the overriding question: How is Seth related to Ray Quinn? Finally we get an answer to that question and Phillip Quinn meets his match in Sybill. It was wonderful to watch Phillip, the urbane, sophisticate, fall for the analytical, distant Sybill. She reminds me a lot of Bones from the TV series. I could just hear her when Sybill went all analytical on Phillip. Her repression of any emotions when faced with a very emotional situation wa ...more
Yolanda
Jun 28, 2015 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
me están gustando todos los libros de la saga muchísimo, los 4 hermanos son maravillosos con una niñez complicada... una familia estupenda. Me encantan
78sunny
May 07, 2016 78sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe dieses Mal ein kleines Experiment gewagt und gleichzeitig zum Buch auch das Hörbuch gehört. Gerade bei dieser Reihe kann ich mich nicht recht entscheiden, was ich besser finde, da jede Art ihre Vorteile hat.

Dies ist der 3 Teil der Quinn-Saga, um 4 Brüder, die ihren Adoptivvater vor kurzem verloren haben. 3 der Brüder sind bereits gestandene Männer, aber der Jüngste (Seth) ist erst 10 und nun müssen sich die Älteren um ihn kümmern. Dafür geben sie vieles aus ihrem gewohnten Leben auf, a
Jane Stewart
As a stand-alone book, it was lacking, but it was good because it finished unresolved issues from the first two books.

THE SERIES:
The Chesapeake Bay series includes four books which tell a continuing story about a family. Ray and Stella Quinn adopt three troubled boys who came from abusive homes. In the first three books the boys are about 30 years old. They left home, have good jobs and are single. Stella died several years earlier. In the beginning of the first book Ray took in another boy, 10-
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Another 4 star read from this series, IMHO. Yes, the first one is the best (mainly b/c Phillip is a bit of an asshat toward Sybill in a few scenes - one deserved and one crucial time, not deserved - with not enough groveling later); however, a five star rating system makes it difficult to differentiate the subtle difference in ranking. I continued to enjoy Guy Lemonier’s narration of this saga of the boat-building Quinn family living in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. And, finally, some answer ...more
Glamdring
*Buddy listening with Blacky <333*

Six months has passed since the first book Sea Swept. This is Phillip's, the urban and sophisticate brother, book.
Like the other two books this book revolve around Seth's guardianship and even though Philip and Sybill romance isn't my favorite of the series, all the things related to Seth keeps it a favorite of mine.
SusanwithaGoodBook
So, I'm finished with this Nora Roberts trilogy. It was okay. The story was fairly engaging, but the romance is overwrought to the point of being embarrassing. Thankfully the bedroom stuff didn't get started until about 3/4 of the way into the story, so I was able to skip those few pages and get to the gist of the story. The mystery is solved, thank goodness. I was going to be very irritated if she didn't finish this story.

I have one more Nora Roberts on my shelf, but it seems to be a stand alon
Priyadarshni Palanikumar
Aw, the Quinns! I believed this to be the last book, when I read it first. So, I was reasonably excited by it.

Phillip : the by-choice bad kid, unlike his adopted brothers who'd been victims in their childhood.

Sybill : the suppressed woman with a heart of gold.

One could never go wrong with this combination. And it didn't. The intellectual connect was the best part. They shared many interests and exuded a sheen of class. The underlying loyal streak struck them as an inevitable pair.

One small pr
Lucinda Elliot
I was impressed by the strength of the writing in the prologue, where Phillip is shot on the streets by his own gang by accident: - 'Philip Quinn died at thirteen'. I even flinched at this exchange between mother and son: 'Why the hell didn't you just die?' 'I don't know,' Phllip said calmly, 'I tried.'

I don't associate forceful writing generally with romance, because it doesn't want to deal with the ugly aspects of reality, being light reading, and I read on, fascinated.

I was disappointed that
ladyofglencairn
In the penultimate book in this series, Phillip Quinn meets his match in the form of Sybill Griffin, a woman who has secrets of her own. Once they're revealed, the Quinn family is justifiably wary of her motives as her presence in their lives ties directly to their brother Seth and their determination to keep him with them.

Whenever I read trilogies, it's inevitable that the character I'm most intrigued by is the one who get's his story told last. (I'm referring to the brothers here since Seth's
Lover of Romance
Inner Harbor is the third installment in this great series the Chesepeake Bay Saga. Phillip Quinn, is a city boy, he works in the city during the week and then comes homes during weekends to assist his brothers in their booming business of building wood boats and ships. One weekend he meets a woman who stirs things up, and leaves him aching for me. Not just for her body, but to know her personally. As he endeavors to do so, he knows he is falling hard and fast for this smart intelligent and yes ...more
Mariana
2.5⭐

I have completed my first Nora Roberts' trilogy. That in combination with the two J.D. Robb books I've read leads me to review the author and not just this book.

For my taste and opinion (nothing personal), I think this author is overrated. Oh, I'll probably read more since she's one of my best friend's favorite authors.

However, here is what I don't like. First, her villains are too evil in a shallow two dimensional way. I like to understand why villains are the way they are, get into their h
Arttemizza
A escrita? Sem nada especial a apontar, continua a ser simples e permite uma leitura fluida.

O enredo? Este é o livro em que mais coisas se descobrem, em que conhecemos o passado de Seth, o motivo pelo qual o velho Ray o quis adoptar, é portanto, o livro de todas as revelações.
Continuo a adorar o toque da magia sobrenatural. O fantasma do Ray dá um toque de humor à trama e os encontros deste com os Phillip são bastante hilariantes.

As personagens? O bom desta saga é que todas as personagens têm pe
Mónica Silva
Mar 25, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Neste livro seguimos a perspetiva de Phillip, um dos jovens problemáticos adotados por Ray e Stella Quinn. Agora adulto, é um homem bem sucedido, carismático, moderno, pragmático e algo resmungão. Confesso que nos volumes anteriores considerava esta personagem demasiado fútil e superficial mas não podia estar mais errada! Por detrás desta máscara de requinte, encontra-se um homem gentil, meigo, com uma capacidade surpreendente para perdoar
Marianne
Jan 29, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inner Harbour is the third of the Chesapeake Bay series by Nora Roberts. Phillip, the third Quinn brother to be taken in by Stella and Ray, has come about as far as possible from the teenage thief who did drugs and prostituted himself: he’s now an urbanite, a respected executive in a Baltimore advertising firm. But he’s spending his weekends in the village of St Christopher on the promise to look out for the latest Quinn, Seth DeLauter as well as helping out in the new boat building business, Bo ...more
Cathy
I was really into the romance at the beginning. Phillip and Sybill just worked for me; their dynamic and the way their jobs and lives kind of seemed to fit together and complemented each other. But then it all kind of fell apart right around the time Sybill's true identity came out. I wish that had been handled differently. A lot differently.

If these books had just been about the three brothers and how the Quinns took them in at an early age and now they're all grown up, etc. etc., I would've lo
Jaime
May 03, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second favorite of the Quinn Brothers novels (Ethan’s being my favorite). Nora Robert’s best skill is creating characters and complex family units that feel real, and this series is no exception. I liked this more in-depth look at Philip, and I also liked his romantic interest, Sybil, even if she is a bit cold and shut down for most of the book. Nora also does a great job pulling us into the setting, giving us a more clinical look at small-town life through the eyes Sybil, an outside ...more
Brianne
Jan 24, 2014 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2015, romance
I'm a big fan of Roberts because all of her books deal with something different and her characters are different too.
I think I should reread the whole series pretty soon, but since I've reread this particular book at least four times, I'm gonna say it's my favorite. I can't explain it, but I love Sybil and Phillip and I especially love them together.

I think Roberts is a good author to start with if you're interested in romance (have I already said this?) and if you're a pro then you've probabl
Barbara ★
Phillip Quinn and Sybill Griffin have an interesting and often argumentative courtship. Sybill is a psychologist and a write which plays both for and against her in her dealings with the Quinns. Technically this is the conclusion and it does nicely close up the ongoing conflicts with the Quinn family. However, Nora Roberts surprised us all by writing a fourth book, about Seth, of course. As he has been the glue which held all three books together. I can't wait to jump into Chesapeake Blue.
Nora Roberts Grou...: Inner Harbor Feb. 2015 Book of the Month 36 26 Feb 27, 2015 11:56AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

Chesapeake Bay Saga (4 books)
  • Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #1)
  • Rising Tides (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #2)
  • Chesapeake Blue (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #4)

“Up to this point your life has pretty much sucked. You’re not responsible for that. But you are responsible for what happens from here on.” 16 likes
“Phillip look into Ray's eyes. He saw compassion and hope. And he saw himself mirrored back, bleeding in a dirty gutter on a street where life was worth less than a dime bag.
Sick, tired, petrified, Phillip dropped his head into his hands.
"What's the point?"
"You're the point, son." Ray ran his hand over Phillip's hair. "You're the point.”
7 likes