Start by marking “Wolves & Honey: A Hidden History of the Natural World” as Want to Read:
Wolves & Honey: A Hidden History of the Natural World

Wolves & Honey: A Hidden History of the Natural World

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Wolves and Honey: A Hidden History of the Natural World
Audio, 4 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wolves & Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves & Honey

David
While this book is interesting, it is very disjoint. There is no coherent story or thread of thought. The pages follow one another almost like stream-of-consciousness. A few pages about a type of tree, then Latin, then about a friend, then Greek, then ... you get the picture.
Slmcmahon
A delightful book of the musings and observations of a classicist and linguist who lives in the Finger Lakes region of New York.

Her interests are wide and varied. She has lived in Egypt and translates Egyptian poetry. She is also interested in beekeeping.

The writing is beautiful, which is something one hears or reads of, but seldom encounters directly. She will sometimes dissect a word, revealing its Latin or Greek and ultimately Indo-European roots of her words.

I have also read her book "The
Donna
An interesting relating of how humans and animals interact and how the animal kingdom affects us more than we think. Morrow ties the natural history of plants and animals in the area into the geography of the New York Finger Lakes area and into her personal history through the use of story, historical facts and general scientific knowledge. A great read, especially if you have an interest at all in gardening, food production or the animals in the forests and fields.
Megan
Reading this book was almost like picking up loosely related books out of someone's library, and reading a few highlighted pages here and there. The topics were linked together by a shared geography, but reading them was like talking to an old-timer about the good old days, or the history of a town, or a family. Which is to say, the order was kind of confusing to me. I did develop a greater appreciation for the Finger Lakes region of NY State, though.
Jeffrey Bumiller
Very Very Beautiful. Annie Dillard comes to mind as a comparison with Susan Brind Morrow. This book is especially important to me because it revolves around my home, upstate New York. Morrow's background as a classicist really shines through, and the parts of the book dealing with etymology were fascinating. Can't wait to read more of her work.
Alex Cunningham
May 27, 2007 Alex Cunningham rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humans, Wolves, Honey
Susan Brind Morrow, in this, her second memoir, tells you where she comes from. She hears her history in the buzz of bees in Central Park and feels it in the wind coming off a lake it upstate New York. Reading this book is like making love to a lover you thought was dead: urgent, brief, and exhaustingly comforting.
Seth Hunter
I love this book and bought 3 copies. It is written with a lyrical style that makes me feel connected with the very nectar of life. It's good to escape tech land sometimes. :)
Nicole
This is a real mixed bag in terms of genre ... it incorporates historical fiction, memoir, philosophy, and descriptions of nature into a complex and richly-detailed read. Since I'm living mostly in Geneva, around which much of the book takes place, it was fascinating to peel back the words and discover the beautiful, living place that it is.
Jodi Rogers
I thoroughly enjoyed this fascinating read. It is so beautifully written and poetic. The book gives insight into the history of the wild New York land and the people who interacted with it, as well as a beautiful glimpse into the author's life. It weaves together educational bits on nature, prose, history and fascinating stories on spiritualism.
t m
The meanderings of a polymath. No story, per se, but it might just be possible to be found on a tangent, rather than lost. A lovely read.
Amanda
I have never read anything from Susan Brind Morrow before, so I was a little surprised. (In a pleasant way!) A collection of stories that bring the reader into her interresting world of travel, archeology, family, fishing, and of course the honey bee! I listened to this book on audio, as I am constantly stuck in Dallas traffic, and I was literally transported to the honey bee hive and away from the aggressive drivers on 121....Perfect.
Mary
I'm actually still reading this book. I put it down to read something else and haven't gotten back to it yet. But I don't want to put it into my 'dropped' category because I love the author's mind so much. Her book about Egypt is much better. But this is also a fascinating read, although somewhat disjointed. She comes up with passages that are pure music.
Logophile
A collection of nature essays by a linguist, it's lyrical but disjointed and scattered, like reading scattered pages of her personal journal.
Arizonagirl
This book seemed very disjointed and never came together. The natural history parts were interesting, but it felt like a stream of consciousness.
Linda
There was not a sense of unity in subject matter, too fractionalized.
Kelly
Interesting style and concept.
Lwindjwla Thaliazalor
delightful and fascinating.
Ermin
Ermin is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
Bookwench69
Bookwench69 marked it as to-read
David
David marked it as to-read
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Red
Red marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Kimberlee
Kimberlee marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014