Start by marking “Your Story (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
Your Story (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #1)

Your Story (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game #1)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,838 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Published July 27th 2010 by Evil Hat Productions (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Your Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Story

Ben
Dec 05, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of The Dresden Files novels and rpg gamers looking for an urban fantasy game
Shelves: rpg
I bought this on the back of Evil Hat's first outing with FATE, The Spirit of the Century, as part of a burgeoning love affair with the FATE rpg (roleplaying game).

For those who don't know what an rpg is, its a game of collaborative story telling. One player comes up with the story and describes what is happening (often called the Games Master or GM for short). The other players design characters who will feature as the heroes in that setting. They get to describe what their characters do in res
Wayland Smith
May 20, 2014 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it
Ok, even ubergeek that I am, I wouldn't normally rate a book for an RPG. But it kept coming up in my recommended list, and I'm in the early stages of setting up a campaign for that game anyway.

I read the book cover to cover, which I try to do with games I run. However, I don't usually enjoy the books this much. In addition to really liking the world this game is set in (I've read all those books), the game looks like lots of fun.

But what really makes it are the margin notes. Throughout the book
Alden
Mar 03, 2013 Alden rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned, rpg
First: it should be noted that this may be the most well written RPGs on my shelf. Injokes, callbacks, even the running gag about how Harry, the cover of every Dresden Files novel aside, isn't a hat guy. Good sift all around.
The rules are simple (the magic rules need to be read twice if you've bought spell casting powers) and (for the limited.number IOC sessions I've had) made an enjoyable, character driven game
Jeph Lewis
Apr 11, 2012 Jeph Lewis rated it really liked it
If the world was a just and loving place, this book would sell more copies than any given James Patterson book. Unfortunately, we live in a hate-filled universe which serves only to spite quality books.

This isn't the greatest RPG put together, but it's definitely up there in the grand scheme of things.
Griff
Aug 07, 2011 Griff rated it it was amazing
Only those who partake of table-top role-playing games (also referred to as pen-and-paper games) will be at all interested in this, but to those who are I would say that this is a fantastic game, and the only one where I was incredibly happy with every aspect of character creation. Of course, you will really only get anything out of this if you enjoy the Dresden Files series, but regardless, a superb game.
John
Jul 22, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
I love the Fate system, and this is a great implementation of it. I'm only a moderate fan of the Dresden Files novels, but still found the conceit of the game (that it's a draft copy of a game being written in the Dresden universe by characters from the novels) to be very entertaining. The margin notes made by Harry Dresden and others are well done and serve to both entertain and emphasize certain concepts.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game.
Zack
Jun 08, 2013 Zack rated it really liked it
Really cool system, with a lot of neat easter eggs for fans of the series. Has a lot of spoilers for the series, though, so if you're playing with people who haven't read the books but would be interested, I'd recommend spoiler-proofing with post-its.
Jill
Jun 05, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
I have *never* read an RPC (Role-playing game) that was so well done and fit so clearly in with the world it is meant to represent.
Thornwell
May 02, 2012 Thornwell rated it it was amazing
I think I know I'm enjoying wizard books entirely too much when I go read the RPG version.
Adam Gutschenritter
Jun 08, 2011 Adam Gutschenritter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, rpg
I am actually teaching a summer fiction writing class using this system! LOVE IT!
Ager
Dec 10, 2013 Ager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, modern, dresden
An excelent adaptation of the "Dresdenverse" to a roleplaying game. And also, a wonderful read for all the side notes from Harry, Will, and Bob.

The game system is fantastic, and all the material it comes from for building your own city, linking player's characters to other characters, and making players be "in the know" about some facts from the city secrets are wonderful, and could be used with or without the Dresdenverse. It is just a very good way to build a game setting in which everyone has
Lady Entropy
Sep 08, 2013 Lady Entropy rated it really liked it
I cannot STAND the Dresden Files.

Go figure. It should totally be up my alley (Paranormal, main character is a mage, etc), but for some reason, I despise the formulaic writing, and I loathe Harry Dresden, as a mary-sue self-projection of the author, that collects powers, artefacts and pets like an old lady collects cats.

For some reason, though, I LOVED the TV show that all the book fans hated.

That being said, this book is AWESOME.

You heard it.

It's AWESOME. It's crafted with care, and eye to det
Kat
Mar 03, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpgs, 2010
An interesting read, made more so by the marginalia done as Harry, Bob, and Billy's notes about this game as a disinformation campaign. The game itself looks very interesting and very nontraditional as far as its reliance on story over dice. I look forward to getting the chance to play some day.
David Stoneking
Aug 10, 2016 David Stoneking rated it really liked it
Great game. I ran a campaign of Dresden Files. It was a lot of fun. I highly recommend it. But the magic rules system can be a little messy to get the hang of. I can't wait for Dresden Files Accelerated Edition
Aryanne
May 19, 2015 Aryanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I consumed this book. The "aspects" rules system is a great way to operationalize role playing and build not only stories but storytellers.
Tim Martin
Aug 20, 2014 Tim Martin rated it it was amazing
Excellent game! This is probably the coolest rulebook ever too as it contains notes written by Harry Dresden himself written in the margins.
Kevin Jacobson
Kevin Jacobson rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Bryce Jones
Bryce Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Jomax
Jomax rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Greg Martin
Greg Martin rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2015
John Taylor
John Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2010
Azul
Azul rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Ogbebaba
Ogbebaba rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Joerg Haring
Joerg Haring rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Dee Khan
Dee Khan rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
  • Spirit of the Century
  • Fiasco
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • Mouse Guard: Roleplaying Game
  • Apocalypse World
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Revised Edition)
  • Exalted
  • Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game
  • Fate Accelerated
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse
  • Trail of Cthulhu (Trail of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Guide to the Camarilla
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Dungeon World
  • Mage: The Ascension: Pride, Power, Paradox: A Storytelling Game of Reality on the Brink

The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game (3 books)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • The Paranet Papers (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #3)