Start by marking “The Glass Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Glass Dragon

The Glass Dragon (The Dragon Nimbus #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  749 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Set in a world where dragons--the source of all magic--are fading from existence, this is the story of Jaylor, a journeyman wizard, and Brevelan, a young witchwoman. Faced with a seemingly impossible task, Jaylor and Brevelan must find out who is behind the attempt to destroy the dragons before all magic is forever drained from their homeland.
Published December 1st 1994 by DAW

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
204th out of 859 books — 1,660 voters
The Emperor's Blades by Brian StaveleyAmong Thieves by Douglas HulickThe Crown Tower by Michael J. SullivanJhereg by Steven BrustThe Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham
r/fantasy's Official Underrated and Underread Fantasy
242nd out of 325 books — 285 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt S
Dec 04, 2013 Matt S rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: enemies
I'd rather read the ingredients off of a cereal box than this book.

It's THAT bad.
Alyssa
I never finished this book because even though it was good there was content that I didn't need to read. I felt it was inappropriate for myself.
Rachel Lein
I read this book when I was a teenager back when it was a new release. Recently, I realized I couldn't remember much about it, but I had a longing to read it again to see if I liked it now any more or less than I did back then, or rather, for as much as I can remember I liked it, anyway.

One thing that should be made clear about this book is that it is a work of adult fantasy and is not meant for children. I've noticed a lot of complaints regarding that, although I didn't think much of it myself
Lindsay
Sigh. This was almost a really awesome fantasy book, but the sexual stuff just ruined it for me. If I want to read a trashy romance novel, there are plenty to choose from, but I wanted to read a fantasy book. Anyway, readers beware: there's lots of stuff about lust and sex in this book. There's also magic and dragons and other cool stuff. Anyway definitely not for kids or people like me who aren't interested in reading a book about the main characters' sexual urges.
Emily Schroeder
The only reason I finished this book was because it was so terrible, I just kept thinking it had to start getting better somewhere. It didn't. The plot went in circles. I don't know how many times I read about Jaylor and the wolf playing in the water. I get it that it's supposed to link the wolf to Darville, but once is enough. I got it the first time. Overall, the writing was juvenile and poorly edited. It felt like I was reading a first draft. There wasn't much of a plot, and a lot of scenes t ...more
Wendy
This was a good read. The characters were not as well developed as they could have been but the storyline was interesting enough to keep me reading. I will read the next in the series and also look into picking up some of the authors other books as well.
Amber
I actually enjoyed this book...but then again, I enjoy pretty much any book I read since I'm not very picky. There was a huge focus on sexual aspects throughout the book, and the way that the sexual urges were treated was absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. However, the setting for the story was pretty unique. I enjoyed the author's take on dragons, and the way that the dragons and the royal family were connected. I will probably sniff out the other books in this series, and see how the story e ...more
Victoria
I’m not sure how old I was when I first encountered this series, but pretty young from what I recall. I read about half the books in the series, but completely out of order. Despite, this I recall really enjoying them as a child. So, now that I have acquired the entire series, I thought I would read them again (some for the first time) and in sequential order. This first book was one that I had to track down in used book stores, so other than a few names ringing some vaguely distant bells in my ...more
Goldenwattle
This book was an enjoyable read. I did find tiresome though the male characters having trouble controlling their sexual urges and temptations. Does the author really have this little respect for men’s ability to control those urges, especially when sense dictates they should, or am I the one being naïve? There is a great deal of male hatred of females in this book by a female author. That along with the male base sexual urges makes me wonder about the author’s life experiences. However perhaps I ...more
Kailey
I didn't finish reading this one. I read through page 88 to give it a shot, but I got really sick and tired of hearing about people trying to curb their sexual desires. Not a book for kids. The plot is slow and meandering, the characters are weird (split-personality?) and boring, and the world-building is confusing. Throwing it in the trash!
April
I'm not sure what to say about this. It has dragons, well, one really, and a special cat too. And the story is compelling in it's own unique way but the romance aspects were very much over done and it took a lot away from the story and the inconsistencies in the magic rules and use did also. There were even places where things happened strangely and at least two of the characters had seemingly split personalities. Despite all of that, I truly wanted to know what would happen and to see where the ...more
Tina Olah
A nice fairytale-like story, though with some problems. I enjoyed the first half more...the second half seemed really rushed and a number of things seemed to happen without any logical explanations (and had a number of editing mistakes). The romance aspects turned out to be a bit...unusual, I think the author might have done a better job with the idea (no spoilers :P) as much of it felt rather unbelievable. I would likely read the sequel though it isn't really a high priority...hopefully it impr ...more
Becca
Dorothy Pruett
Interesting read. Was easily getting tired of Brevelan's wahs though, but still liked all the characters.
Evelynn
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. It was fast paced and mysterious. the villian was easily hatable and the world detailed.
Joe
A fantasy has to go deeper than a mere series of events and this book does it well. I enjoyed going back and forth between current 2005 events and 'The Glass Dragon' written in 1994 and seeing so many parallels. Krej, the greedy power hungry warmonger, created a national predicament that rang familiar to me. The good-evil struggle was well handled.
Chuck
The series has potential, but the action seemed to drag in many places. The characters of Jaylor, Brevelan and Darville are well written. I look forward to see their development over the next two books. The evil Krej is egomania personified. All in all a pretty good start to what I hope is a decent addition to the realm of fantasy.
Judith
Not a bad start to a series, although the same characters are in each of the first three books, their importance changes so that ther eis someone else different as the main character each time. I found it a nice chnge. THe writing is not the best and the story somewhat predictable, but still readable.
Alex
Only made it about a quarter of the way through this one. I would say the book is terribly sexist, but I can't really, because it treats men and women both terribly.

The world had some neat concepts in it, but I could not get past the uncomfortable-making gender biases.
Cℓinton Sheppard
Mle Morrow
I enjoyed this book and found it to be a fairly engaging, fast read. I can't disagree with other reviewers who found there to be too much sexual content. The story itself, and unique ideas were enough, for me, to make the book a worthwhile read.
Jennie
This is a fun book, but the ending makes it pretty clear it's in a series...to the point where it isn't an ending. I'm not a huge fan of that, but I liked the rest of the book to keep it decently rated.
Tacoma
I remember finding the protagonist very annoying, and iirc, the plot wasn't very engaging. There's also a weird bit where they eat leaves and get high, I think.
Caralee
An interesting and unique book about dragons with some good characters. A little slow moving, but it definitely kept my attention.
Wynne
Pretty hard to put it down, some slightly confusing spots, but over all a very good book. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Mono33
it was good and interesting also lots of different objects otherwise its awesome
Janelle
Pendantic, with three-way sex. Boring--I skimmed the last quarter of the book.
Lisa
Really fun book. Keeps you waiting for more.
Denae
Not a fan of unmarried people sleeping together.
Bridgette Kelleher
Enjoyed this as usual. Love to reread her books.
  • World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)
  • In Legend Born (Chronicles of Sirkara, #1)
  • The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1)
  • Wizard of the Grove (Omnibus: Child of the Grove / The Last Wizard)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • Legacy of the Wolf: Cheysuli Omnibus #2
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Spirit of the Stone (Shadowleague, #2)
  • The Cipher (Crosspointe Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • Dragon's Winter
  • Dragon Venom (Obsidian Chronicles #3)
  • Dragoncharm (The Ultimate Dragon Saga, #1)
A pseudonym used by C.F. Bentley. Also known as P.R. Frost.

Irene has been writing stories ever since she figured out what a pencil was for. Combining a love for Medieval history and a fascination with paranormal, Irene concentrated on fantasy writing.

In her spare time, Irene enjoys lacemaking and is a long time member of an international guild. Check out THE LONELIEST MAGICIAN, The Dragon Nimbus #
More about Irene Radford...

The Dragon Nimbus (4 books)
  • The Perfect Princess
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • The Wizard's Treasure
The Loneliest Magician The Perfect Princess The Dragon's Touchstone Guardian of the Balance (Merlin's Descendants, #1) The Last Battlemage