Start by marking “Australia: A Biography of a Nation” as Want to Read:
Australia: A Biography of a Nation

Australia: A Biography of a Nation

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Part history, part travelogue, part memoir, this is the inspiring story of how a one-time British colony, settled by only two kinds of citizens - convicts and jailers - turned itself into a proud, prosperous and confident country, the greatest sporting nation on earth, where the citizens of its high-leisure cities enjoy a lifestyle that is the envy of the world.

Through the
Published November 28th 2000 by Jonathan Cape (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Australia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Australia

Dagmar Belesova
I knew very little about Australian history (especially modern history) and I found this book a revelation. It is written in a very engaging prose and it is fascinating to learn about all these events that shaped the Australia of today. A biography is a fitting choice of a word for a title - he portrays Australia almost as a character, with a unique personality and character, which develops throughout the book. It makes you want to go to country, just to engage with it and discover to what exten ...more
Vito
I didn't know anything about Australian history before reading this book, except maybe that it was discovered by a British guy a bunch of centuries ago, so I was uncertain where to start from. This was a very good choice: I think it's almost impossible to squeeze in many more facts in only 350 pages, and yet it doesn't feel like everything is just crammed in. The author manages to take his space to digress on some subjects and he is also capable of being humorous from time to time -- which, in m ...more
Stan Bebbington
This is not a guide book, it is a highly personal history of the country, affectionate but honest. It covers all the salient features of Australia's climb to nationhood via a strongly polarised series of political, social and industrial developments. Some of which are quite shocking revelations of exploitation and corruption. More Deadwood Gulch than Pugin's Neogothic. It is well written and a good read.
Ianto
Oct 26, 2007 Ianto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
An excellent, if non-academic, overview of Australian history and identity since the nineteenth century, with an excellent focus on Aboriginal affairs, and on the evolution of the country's relationship with the United Kingdom. Good for anyone who likes popular history.
Roger Norman
Easy reading, plenty of anecdotes, excellent on the beginnings of Oz, and very good on the world wars, vietnam and lots of other stuff, including Gough Whitlam. Gets a bit bogged down towards the end. Sympathetic to the Aussies but not craven.
Kersti Anear
May 05, 2010 Kersti Anear rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aussies
Recommended to Kersti by: Christian Saemann
An amazing eye-opener of a book which has left me questioning everything I thought I knew about my homeland. Highly recommended for all Aussies.
Beth
I'm so excited to go to Australia!
Steven Voorhees
Steven Voorhees marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
فاطمة الحربي
فاطمة الحربي marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Sead
Sead marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Amber Echols
Amber Echols marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Bryan
Bryan added it
May 11, 2015
Ægir Þórisson
Ægir Þórisson is currently reading it
May 01, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
James Gillett
James Gillett marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Sigríður Pálsdóttir
Sigríður Pálsdóttir marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Isaura
Isaura added it
Dec 21, 2014
Lauren Beckett
Lauren Beckett is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Phillip Knightley was a special correspondent for The Sunday Times for 20 years (1965-85) and one of the leaders of its Insight investigative team. He was twice named Journalist of the Year (1980 and 1988) in the British Press Awards. He and John Pilger are the only journalists ever to have won it twice.

He was also Granada Reporter of the Year (1980), Colour Magazine Writer of the Year (1982), hol
More about Phillip Knightley...
The First Casualty: The War Correspondent as Hero & Myth-maker from the Crimea to Iraq The Master Spy: The Story of Kim Philby The Second Oldest Profession: Spies and Spying in the Twentieth Century The Philby Conspiracy The Secret Lives Of Lawrence Of Arabia

“[Senator Bill] O'Chee: What do I have to do to be an Australian, because my family has been in this country for a hundred and ten years
[78-year-old woman on incoming telephone call]: It doesn't matter.
O'Chee: I've got to look English, have I?
Old Lady: Yes
O'Chee: What about the Aboriginies?
Old Lady: They're Australian, too.
O'Chee: Can I just get this down for the record -- you can look Aboriginal and be an Australian, or you can look English and be an Australian, but you can't look Asian and be an Australian?
Old Lady: That's right.”
1 likes
“It would be pointless to deny that some crime in Australia is linked to migrant communities. A factor here is that many migrants come from countries where the government trusts none of its citizens to tell the truth and demands proof for everything. The Australian system, where the authorities generally assume that a citizen is telling the truth, but provides penalties if they are then caught lying, tempts some migrants into illegal acts...” 1 likes