Start by marking “Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier” as Want to Read:
Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier

Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  22 reviews
One sunny day on his postal route, Vincent Wyckoff crosses the path of an elderly gentleman whistling for his lost parakeet. The old man is upset, and Wyckoff moves down the block slowly, looking high and low, hoping to spot the little bird. He reaches the man’s house and offers sympathy to his wife, who smiles sadly and says, “We haven’t had that bird for twenty-five year ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by Borealis Books

To ask other readers questions about Beware of Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware of Cat

Emily
When I picked this up in a little bookshop near the University of Minnesota, I didn't realize that it was by a local author. It was a real treat for me to read the memoirs of a letter carrier in a portion of Minneapolis that I may have lived in at one point (he's a little vague about the exact area, but I think I recognized some landmarks). His anecdotes are both hilarious and touching, and I learned quite a bit about the ins and out of postal service. In fact, I put a gift card in my mailbox fo ...more
John
One of my favorite former colleagues was a retired carrier, with plenty of stories from that job, so I knew there'd be material for a book someday. I give four stars here for the author's presentation - none are (obviously) exaggerated to impress readers, nor are they saccherine. Animal folks will especially appreciate the way he handles pets, including making friends with a pit bull whose owner is wary of his own dog, and coming to terms with a ferocious dog who'd attacked him years earlier.
Melissa
Dec 03, 2008 Melissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: The Leonards
This book was lent to me by my neighbor, who knew this mail carrier (he delivered in the Nokomis area). He delivered mail to my house up to just before we moved there. He talks about the neighbor across the street and the one 2 houses down from us in here.

I guess he found a new route right as this book was coming out.

Bop
Martin
As a former Letter Carrier I found this light-hearted and entertaining. Mr. Wyckoff doesn't delve into the negativity that one so often hears about Postal Managers and such... He shares his experiences as a Letter Carrier on the streets of Minneapolis. I found myself relating to every single one of his stories. I recognized every one of his customers. If you're interested in how your mailman sees you... This is a good book.
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
During the time that I was reading this, I worked at a Post Office in Charleston, South Carolina. It was a good read with several humorous times and I had compassion for him.
Betsy
This a charming book written by a kind, decent mailman. I like his stories, and unlike probably 95 percent of mailmen out there, he can form coherent sentences. Either that, or he has an excellent editor. In any event, I enjoyed the book. (When we were at the Minnesota State Fair last week, we ventured into a booth run by the letter carriers' union, and I mentioned this book. The letter carrier to whom we were speaking became suddenly, noticeably cooler toward us. I wonder if perhaps the author' ...more
Rod Meyer
A simple book with some heart warming tales in it. Perfect for a summer afternoon in a hammock.
Kristine
Beware of Cat by Vincent Wyckoff, a Kindle book I began reading on September 20th while waiting for my morning bus to work.

A simple day-long read, I could see a book of simple, moral-based stories like this in either a library's occupational/government jobs section or offered at a Minnesota tourism gift shop. It speaks worlds of the community and culture I live in and encourages you to be civic and to be happy to be part of a neighborhood.
Beth
It was fun to read a book about the life of a mail carrier in south Minneapolis, not far from where I live, published by one of my clients (Borealis Books, the trade imprint of Minnesota Historical Society Press). The stories range from funny to profound, and while there isn't a clear chronological structure or other obvious organizing system for the stories, it's quite a lovely book. He's a great storyteller.
Sara
Another book discovered because it was an option on my son's summer reading list. A very quick read of stories from a Minneapolis mail carrier. Interesting little stories about his neighborhood clients from a writer who clearly is a compassionate person. A very light read, and not terribly gripping. Some amusing and poignant moments.
Tim
Aug 10, 2011 Tim added it
Some of the stories are cute. The writing could have been tighter. I really think the book would have benefited from some collaboration with other carriers. It would have been nice if he had interviewed coworkers to gather some great stories from other postmen. 3/17/10

Catherine
Mar 23, 2009 Catherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catherine by: John
This simply written day-in-the-life book by a Minnesota postal carrier was a very quick read and offered several charming stories. I particularly enjoyed the chapters that focused on the animals on his route. I was in need of some light reading and this one fit the bill perfectly.
Akasha
I liked this collection of short stories. Most are very brief anecdotes, but I was able to visualize his route and his relationships. I've often daydreamed about my letter carriers experiences in my neighborhood and I enjoyed reading Wycoff's perspective.
Jane
I found this collection of tales from a veteran letter carrier a bit trite, leaning heavily on sentiment with little or no element of surprise. Mr. Wycoff apparently took writing lessons from John Grogan.
Book Concierge
An okay memoir of a letter carrier's encounters over a long career in Minneapolis. Enjoyable, light, fast read. No real meat here.
Nicki
This is a funny, sweet, and feel-good book. Read it as a pick-me-up on a day where you feel you have lost your faith in humanity.
Melody
Couldn't finish this book. It seemed so banal to me, and I just didn't care what happened next.
Nettle
Cute, nothing special but it filled a couple of hours.
Natalie
reminiscent of an airline magazine
boring, didn't finish
Liz
I thought this book was charming.
NC
okay not great
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Geenyas
Geenyas marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Shanna Davis
Shanna Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
  • We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Show-Biz Saga
  • The House of Wittgenstein: A Family at War
  • I Was Vermeer: The Rise and Fall of the Twentieth Century's Greatest Forger
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Big in China: My Unlikely Adventures Raising a Family, Playing the Blues, and Becoming a Star in Beijing
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
  • Amy Winehouse: The Biography
  • My Own Two Feet
  • Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
  • Elephant Man
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
Beware Of Cat