Start by marking “Taken Taken” as Want to Read:
Taken Taken

Taken Taken (Richard Christie Mystery #1)

The child was taken in broad daylight, on a warm June morning, in a crowded shopping area in downtown Pittsburgh.
Marina Benedict first saw the baby with his mother. Then, just minutes later, she saw him again, in the arms of a man she was certain was not the child's father. In a single life-altering act, Marina followed them. What happens next will plunge her into a myste
Published December 10th 2008 by Random House Publishing Group (first published May 8th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Taken Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken Taken

Melissa
So I've been trying to shy away from hiding my reviews for spoilers, basically because I'm trying not to be lazy, and because I used to regard the most basic of plot points as spoilers & that's just silly. The event in this book that I'd not want to ruin for anyone (or have wanted to have ruined for me before I read this) comes up in almost every review that I've read of this book on this site, and is, in my opinion, grossly understated in every case. I'm kind of torn as a result. I don't wa ...more
Michele
I wanted to read this book because it takes place in Pittsburgh, my favorite city, and the story involves one of the Pittsburgh Pirates - my absolute favorite sports team.

The story itself I had a hard time following... it jumped from one person to another. And it just wasn't all that believable.

The baby of a rookie pitcher for the Pirates is taken in broad daylight from a downtown shopping center.... and nobody saw anything. But then Marina, who had briefly seen the baby with his mother earlier
Cathie
Well, this is just about the dumbest book I've read! Woman sees a baby on a bus that she saw earlier in a shopping mall and "just knows" the baby doesn't belong to the man on the bus. She follows the kidnapper, puts herself right in the middle of a baby buying ring with lots of bad people, gets herself shot, twice. She survives and is put in a police protection program, and separates from her husband, (who starts shagging his assistant because wife isn't home, but feels guilty later when he find ...more
Carolyn
Mar 13, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One day, Marina Benedict, an actress who is trying to come to terms with the dissolution of her marriage, goes to the Clark Building in downtown Pittsburgh to turn her jewelry, gifts from her husband, into cash to cover living expenses. There in the lobby she sees an adorable baby with his mother. She's aware of studying the baby, even flirting with him, because she longs for a child herself. A short time later, having finished her business in the jewelry shop upstairs, she catches a bus for hom ...more
Maureen
Apr 02, 2012 Maureen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book b/c the author works at Pitt and the setting is Pittsburgh. The story was a bit slow for me and some of the plot was a stretch.

It focuses on Marina Benedict, who is out of work as an actress and has decided to divorce her abusive husband. While trying to make money by selling her jewelry, she runs into a woman with a baby in the Clark building. As she is walking out, she sees a man getting on a bus with a child that looks like the baby she saw with the woman in the C
Katharine Ott
When the fifth book in author Kathleen George’s Commander Christie series, Hideout, was recommended by my local library, I clicked back to her first one, Taken. I had indicated to the library that I enjoyed police procedurals and this book is that, but a more sensitive approach to the genre. In addition to the investigative particulars, Christie’s thoughts and feelings are freely expressed, perhaps a little too often and deeply for me at times. This quote from the book neatly describes the chara ...more
Sharyn Hutchens
Jul 03, 2016 Sharyn Hutchens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't get better than this

It's a police procedural, a psychological thriller, a child abduction story, a romance, and a suspense drama all at once. The writer's style is simple and gripping and thought-provoking. Characters are realistic and the plot is tight. This is the second book by Kathleen George that I've read, and it's official now: I have a new favorite author.
Jen
Jun 15, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
The 4 month old baby of a famous baseball player is kidnapped in an baby kidnapping operation that has been going on for a while but undetected. There is a witness and a woman who tried to stop the kidnapping, and she is now being kept under protective custody. However, there is no sign of the kidnapper or the baby, will Detective Christie ever solve this case?
Patty
Dec 18, 2009 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I guess this is not really a mystery, because we see the action from a lot of different points of view, one of the things I really dislike, so we know who did it. It is more a police procedural...and a romance. Quite enjoyable, kept me awake late last night, although not very believable in some ways.
Gail
Mar 29, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! I first heard of the author by finding her latest book in the Mystery Lover's book store in Oakmont. Actually met her at the Women Read/Women Write conference in Carnegie, where I purchased her latest book, Johnstown Girls, and this one. This was her first book. A police drama with flair - Her character development is strong.
Janet
Mar 24, 2008 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This author is from my hometown of Pittsburgh and the story is set there. I like giving local authors a try and it's always a bonus when I like their work. I very much like the main character, Detective Richard Christie, and found this story quite enjoyable. I also like the author's style of writing a mystery. It certainly kept me guessing and interested to find out the outcome.
Paul
Jul 21, 2009 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit of a disappointment considering how highly this was recommended to me, but a good beginning to the series I suppose. I really enjoyed the local color, but with only one or two exceptions, the characters aren't very thoroughly realized and the romance is a little cliched.
Elsie
May 22, 2010 Elsie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pittsburgh based story about a celebrity's young child being kidnapped for a black market adoption. I believe this is the author's first novel and it shows. An interesting story that is just full of too many coincidences to be believable.
Jennie
Jun 21, 2012 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read...part detective story, part romance, part crime tale. My favorite part was how the author made all the characters seem so real. Even the bad guys have enough back-story and descriptive writing to flesh them out as real people. Definitely worth your time.
Douglas
Jun 20, 2013 Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a refreshing perspective on the crime genre. Plus it is set in my home town making it fun to recognize landmarks and how well she worked them into the crime. The romance angle, and how can there be a crime without some sexual tension, is a bit surprising but works to drive the story.
Julianne
The characters in this book were incredibly believable. The description of Joe's life as a criminal, and how his life experiences strongly encouraged this life, made me feel great compassion for him. It still affects me to this day to think of him perhaps being cheated out of a better life.
Colleen
Sep 30, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
very well written. I tend not to like mysteries involving kidnapping, but this one was very well done.
Karen
Nov 23, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Eh, don't think I'll read more from this author.
Steve
Aug 03, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. It had the feel of a first novel (it was her first). I'm going to be checking out more in this series.
Ree
Feb 27, 2014 Ree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, the end sucked.
Kae
Aug 30, 2014 Kae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't a huge fan of this. The plot wasn't that great and the writing style was a little strange. Not a series I will pursue.
Mhd
Unusual take on child abduction stories. I didn't care for the content, and the pacing was much too slow for me. There are long descriptions of objects and scenes that just don't need it.
Carrie
Apr 26, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sounded like a great premise, but unfortunately all the action was in the very beginning and the book just kept chugging along...
Fonda Quinn
The first book by a new author (for me). I enjoy mysteries and plan to read the other Kathleen George books.
Judy Perry
Did not like the writer's style--had to reread sentences to try and get what was meant. Kept putting me to sleep but I finally got through it.
Debbie Gatacre
Not a bad book. Suspense seemed to all happen at the beginning of the book..The book was pretty good.
Kate
Aug 15, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Picked it up after having read The Odds by Kathleen George. Good story, written well enough to keep the action and plot moving forward.
Gail
Mar 05, 2009 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Pittsburgh author. A pretty fair thriller.
R.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Last Newspaper Boy in America
  • The Bend of the World
  • Everyday People
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • Above the Law
  • Macaroni Boy
  • The Valley Of Decision
  • Last Call in the City of Bridges
  • The Low Road (Elf Realm, #1)
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • Resolve
  • Never Wave Goodbye
  • Father's Arcane Daughter
  • In Sunlight, in a Beautiful Garden
  • First You Try Everything
  • The Lonely Mile
  • The Lost Constitution (Peter Fallon, #3)
Kathleen Elizabeth George (born July 7, 1943) is an American professor and writer best known for her series of crime novels set in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

She was born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and educated at the University of Pittsburgh: B.A. (summa cum laude), 1964, M.A. (theatre), 1966, Ph.D. (theatre), 1975, M.F.A. (creative writing), 1988. She teaches theatre arts at the University of Pitt
More about Kathleen George...

Richard Christie Mystery (7 books)
  • Fallen (Richard Christie, #2)
  • Afterimage (Richard Chrisite, #3)
  • The Odds (Richard Christie, #4)
  • Hideout (Richard Chrisite, #5)
  • Simple (Richard Christie, #6)
  • A Measure of Blood (Richard Christie, #7)

“The Pirates lost their game, 8–2. Ryan Graves looked like any other pitcher, intense, a small player in a big world, Orestes, all of them. Now,” 0 likes