Start by marking “The Last Safe Place on Earth” as Want to Read:

The Last Safe Place on Earth

Walden Woods. It looked good to me. It Looked like a place without any surprises. And I guess you could say it was pretty much perfect, the last safe place on earth.

Todd is geared up for tenth grade, and it's a busy fall in his house on Tranquillity Lane, where everyone has a full schedule. Then he finds the perfect girl, right on his own doorstep. Laurel Kellerman baby-si
Published March 1st 1995 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Safe Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Safe Place on Earth

Vsw
Jun 27, 2008 Vsw rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers who might excerpt selections to use to talk about censorship
Recommended to Vsw by: Johnson (2006) textbook
I worry a little about posting this as my first contribution to our class discussion because, in general, I think that reviews should be "critical" in the balanced sense of the word. This is hard when you didn't enjoy the book and you had concerns about its message!

I read The Last Safe Place on Earth because it was described in our textbook (p. 203) as a good book to use to help students think about issues of fundamentalism and censorship. I thought this might be a book that people in our class
Brennan Marsh
Mar 30, 2015 Brennan Marsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The theme of the book The last safe place on Earth would be changes because in this book a boy name Todd starts to find out about what goes on in Lauren's family, so his prospective on her and her family changes. The conflict in this book would be when Lauren's Christian group tries to ban Halloween so they try to brainwash the kids who participate in Halloween (mostly younger kids). The sign-post used in this book would be again and again because Lauren and her group keep trying to brainwash th ...more
Brayden
Dec 21, 2011 Brayden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am done reading the book, The Last Safe Place on Earth. I gave this book 4 stars. It had 161 pages in it. The author of the book was Richard Peck. I thought this book was trilling and unpredictable. My favorite part of the book was when a boy named Billy hur this mom. She had to go to the hospital. Their dad wasn't homebwcause he was looking for a job. I think this book is good for kids that like to read mystery/adventure books.
Karen
Strictly on a bell curve, in comparison to other Richard Peck books, this deserves only three stars. The first half of the book depicts a family who has moved to a newer, more upscale neighborhood with the goal of finding a safer place for the children and a better school. Based on appearances alone, the family seems to have accomplished those goals. However, just after midway in the book, the appearances begin to unravel to show the underlying and unhappy truth. The book addresses insidious pre ...more
Adi Muhtarevic
I had just finished "The Last Safe Place On Earth" and I thought it was okay. It is about a boy named Todd that is 15 years old and he think Walden Woods is a really nice place to live. In the book it is based around Halloween, during this time many people's houses were getting vandalized. Also many planned car crashes were happening plus people were dying and getting sick, it was ridiculous. Then one night Todd was driving home and spots a random person walking in the street. Todd pulled up nex ...more
kaitlin ♥
Oct 11, 2009 kaitlin ♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This book is one of the best I have ever read.Its based around the months before and after Halloween.Many things start to happen peoples houses are getting vandilized and many people are dying.People are dying from planned car wrecks and just getting really sick.Well one night when Todd was driving home with his dad he sees someone walking along the street.He pulls over and figures out it was his friend C.E. he asked C.E. what he was doing out so late his response was im walking off my dinner.So ...more
Leah
Aug 17, 2012 Leah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Drab. Dull. Daft. Not the best adjectives for book characters. Yet I found myself goading my spirit into reading this one - just to finish it - just to get to that point where surely it must turn the corner, cross over into the light, do something worthy of a recommendation. Instead the plot twisted far too late into the pages and in a form that was at best contrived and completely missed the beat. The lead-up was, quite simply, boring. The characters completely without attachment. The plot miss ...more
Kathleen
Aug 10, 2007 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mostly MS or early HS
At first I thought this book was a slog, not nearly as entertaining as some of Peck's other books that I've read. But as I got into it, I really began to appreciate its content much more. The story deals with one family's suburban experience with censorship, intolerance (and discrimination), fear and fundamentalism. A good literary intro for these topics in classroom discussion. Peck's language is richly descriptive and paints a believable story--nothing too extraordinary--and the stakes for the ...more
Jaja
Sep 28, 2009 Jaja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joey Mlejnek
The Last Safe Place on Earth
Todd is a normal high school student but when his dad was promoted from his job they had to move so they moved to a nice little quiet town. Todd was on the swim team his older sister was on the newspaper editor and his little sister was still in second grade. Todd finds the perfect girl she’s quiet mysterious and his little sister’s baby sitter at Todd’s point of view beautiful. Then something weird happens something that will change everything.

Shaya
I didn't particularly like this book. The characters seemed very one-dimensional. It dealt with a family that moves to a "safe" suburban town. Some memebers of the town start protesting certain books that are read in the high school. The group has strong religous beliefs about the devil and don't want any books read that even question that Christianity is the only true religion. One theme of the book is that there are problems everywhere.

I've read A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago a
Paulette
Oct 31, 2008 Paulette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wesley read this book at school and commented how weird but good it was so I requested it from the library. Also, I read another Richard Peck book to Wesley when he was younger and we both loved it. Anyway this is a bold topic for a kid book. Themes--censorship, religions that frightened children with tales of evil forces, alcoholism, coming of age stuff. This is a book for young folks but provides great topics for a family or classroom.
Aditya /
Aug 24, 2013 Aditya / rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I thought this book was deplorable. However, as you read in further, you find that the author has some well written lines here and there, and further develops their style for writing what is going on in the protagonists mind. The characters have depth. The story relays real life with nostalgia, realism, and emotion. The intricacy of the characters, the small details and cultural refernces, and the capriciousness of the plot make this an excellent book.
Misty
Jan 07, 2008 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-books
This was a gracefully told story of how easily well-meaning individuals can move to take away our Constitutional freedoms. At first, it all seems remote and separate, just a concept being taught in Todd Tobin's social studies class, until the danger slips into the Tobin household, via an invited guest who seemed innocent on the outside.
Ms. Heres
This book takes a look at censorship and religious fanatacism. Though their parents feel they have moved their family to a very safe town, the kids find themselves in situations where they are basically being brainwashed to think a certain way. This is a thought-provoking story about the dangers of censorship and fanatical beliefs.
Kayli
Sep 12, 2009 Kayli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Peck has a set of books that are teach-teens-a-lesson, and this is one of them. They're not nearly as good as some of his others, but I thought this one was actually quite good for that genre. I got a little freaked out when you find out what the babysitter was teaching the little sister. Anyway, quick interesting read.
Freckmint
Jun 06, 2008 Freckmint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing! it was unbelievable. has a great theme, really deep, and is written really well. but it sorta portrays christians in a bad light which makes me sad but this is only if you are like a really shallow person (not the best word choosing there ^shallow)
Smoakes
Dec 08, 2012 Smoakes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another riveting Richard Peck YA novel. He can make the most mundane things terrifying and tense. This rates, for me, up with Secrets of the Shopping Mall and Ghosts That I Have Been--so much better, IMO, than the stuff he's been winning awards for lately.
Tara
Feb 13, 2010 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise, and as always I enjoyed Peck's writing style, but the conclusion turned out to be a little bit freaky. Maybe being paranoid is a good thing... Anyway, not my favorite by Peck, though still ok.
Noah Zimmerer
This wasn't my type of book it was pretty dull and I could not relate to it is was like they were trying not to keep you attention I would not recommend this book to anyone unless you like to be bored while you read.
Elizabeth
Wesley read this for AR points and mentioned that I might be interested in it because it had crazy church people in it. After reading it, definitely crazy church people in it. It's a short story at about a 4th-5th grade reading level. Interesting to say the least.
Megan Franks
This book touches on a lot of topics: censorship, hypocrisy, freedom of religion, domestic abuse, etc. While it's not the most fantastic piece of literature I've ever read, we are going to use it for our high school book club because it should be an excellent discussion starter.
Kristin Pierce
Sep 21, 2010 Kristin Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book dealing with censorship. It is very timely and will interest both boys and girls alike.
Melissa Mannon
This was a quick read. It was an interesting idea, but there was little character development and a plot that was too loose.
Carrie
Jan 07, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: censorship
A fairly chilling story about censorship and religious extremism, but overall, the disconnect and lack of community in a suburban neighborhood. It was good stuff.
DaNette
I enjoyed the message in this book that there is no safe place on earth. No matter what censorship is taking place, the only way we can protect our families is by sticking together.
Mar Oh
Mar Oh rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Matt Lavery
Matt Lavery rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2008
Wesley
Wesley rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Cami
Cami rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Flunk Punk Rumble, Vol. 1
  • Kidnapped (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Jessica and the Earthquake (Sweet Valley Twins, #75)
  • True Philippine Ghost Stories Book 2 (True Philippine Ghost Stories, #2)
  • Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual
  • Mazes and Monsters
  • Confidential Confessions, Volume 1
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • Day of the Iguana
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Lord Of The High Lonesome (North Dakota, Americana, # 34 )
  • First Ladies: The Saga of the Presidents' Wives and Their Power, 1789-1961
  • The Curious World of Drugs and Their Friends: A Very Trippy Miscellany
  • The Bridesmaid Guide: Etiquette, Parties and Being Fabulous
  • Murdering Mr. Monti
  • Creeps Suzette (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12)
  • First Born
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...