Start by marking “Shoot Him If He Runs (Stone Barrington, #14)” as Want to Read:
Shoot Him If He Runs (Stone Barrington, #14)

Shoot Him If He Runs (Stone Barrington #14)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,994 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
Stone Barrington embarks on an exotic adventure...
Stone Barrington and Holly Barker pursue a master spy and murderer in a tropical paradise that's getting hotter by the minute...
Published September 1st 2007 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about Shoot Him If He Runs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoot Him If He Runs

Mike
Oct 06, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I consider Stuart Woods books to be light, entertaining, escapist reading in the genre of murder mysteries ("beach reading"). Some might consider them repetitive and formulaic, feeling that he just keeps churning them out, like a well-oiled machine by now. There's nothing special about the quality of the writing. The author's had a prolific and apparently very financially successful career and my general sense is that his earlier books have been written at a somewhat higher level of quality. Bas ...more
Zzyzx
Mar 12, 2012 Zzyzx rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony
Aug 08, 2008 Anthony rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I like Stuart Woods because his books are easy to get through. Summertime escape reading. Not quality stuff, pretty predictable, but entertaining. This book was not one of his best. Sad to say rather boring and a little weird. The whole possible swinger scene with Stone and Dino and the two chicks was really strange. He also throws in random stuff that has nothing to do with the plot like a Hammerhead shark. What?! And of course a Stuart Woods book is not complete without his "amateur moments" o ...more
Montessahall
May 27, 2015 Montessahall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy
Jun 14, 2015 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointing book! Very little action, poor dialogue. Good thing it was a quick read with short chapters.
Tim
Feb 06, 2013 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like a lot of Stuart Woods novels...this is NOT one of them. I found this story long, tedious and predictable... Not my definition of success. Somehow, Woods has taken previously interesting characters and combined them into this hodgepodge of futility. 1 of 10 stars.
Charlotte
Jun 13, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, I love Woods' Stone Barrington novels. I didn't see the end coming on this one and that's one of the reasons I highly recommend the novel. When Barrington and Barker do a caper together, it's magic! Now, all Stone needs is a dog of his own.
Greer Andjanetta
Feb 05, 2014 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cast is back to the Caribbean isle of St. Marks, the locale of an earlier book, this time on a CIA mission to find a rogue agent who was supposed to have died years before. A very enjoyable read as usual in this series.
Karen
Dec 04, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another easy listening, light entertainment book on audio from the library...Stone Barrington is sent to St. Marks with Holly Barker to track down Teddy Fay, ex-agent turned assassin, who had been presumed dead. Joined by Dino Bacchetti & his girlfriend, they all spend too much time naked on the beach. Finding Teddy alive under assumed names & disguises Holly works through CIA boss Lance Cabot who helps get info to her. They also befriend former CIA employee Irene Foster who had known Te ...more
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2009 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
They just get lamer and lamer. Again, only go here if you love Stone Barrington, but don't get too excited.
Nel
Jun 04, 2013 Nel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast, easy read. A bit far-fetched but very entertaining, as always.
Ed
May 04, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, action
#14 in the Stone Barrington series. In my favorite fast read soap opera, Stone Barrington, NYC lawyer, is joined by his ex-partner Dino Bacchetti, NYPD Homicide Lt., and Holly Barker, sometimes bed-partner, ex-MP Major, ex-Orchid Beach,FL Police Chief, and current CIA agent for this 2007 entry.

Stone Barrington is recruited by the President to travel, with Holly, Dino and Dino's current girlfriend, to St Marks (last seen in Dead in the Water(1997)) in search of a rogue CIA agent who had been assu
Joe White
Jun 24, 2010 Joe White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd time reading.
Notes: plot: Stone and Holly are sent to St. Marks with Dino and Genevieve to find Teddy Fay - whose is there under several names including Harold Pitts.
Sir Winston Sutherland, Colonel Croft and duBois are eliminated by Teddy.
Thomas and Sir Leslie Hewitt, friends of Stone, are revealed to be planning to eliminate the two colonels to put pressure on Sutherland to relieve payoff pressure. Teddy Fay, as Harold Pitts and two other disguises acts of his own accord in the eliminations
Genie
Aug 23, 2009 Genie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the request of CIA Director, Kate Rule Lee (wife of U.S. President Will Lee), Stone Barrington and Holly Barker team up to search for a rogue CIA agent who is believed to be on the Caribbean island of St. Marks. Teddy Fay, agent-turned-assassin, has been on the loose for several years. What they find within the beach club set is a group of corrupt local politicians within a community that accepts a don't-ask-don't-tell approach to foreigners. What they don't find is Teddy Fay, a master of dis ...more
Ashley
I understand authors giving their home state a nod in their stories and I enjoy it when their home state is the same as mine. However, I'm baffled as to how many more characters can be from "Delano", the fictional town set in Georgia. I believe its the town introduced in "Chiefs" (yet to read it). So, not only is the President in "Stone-verse" from this "small town" but it seems that Stone meets someone else from there in every book. Hard to believe that there is anyone left in this town that St ...more
John Koshak
Shoot Him If He Runs (Stone Barrington #14)
by Stuart Woods
3.77 of 5 stars 3.77 · rating details · 3,697 ratings · 211 reviews
Teddy Fay, a rogue agent last seen escaping an imploding building in Woodss Iron Orchid, has been considered dead for some time now. But the CIA thinks Teddy may still be alive and sends agents Holly Barker and Stone Barrington to track him down.
Deborah Robb
After a top secret meeting with the President, Stone Barrington is sent to St. Marks along with Holly Barker, Dino Bacchetti and Dino's girlfriend to see if they can locate Teddy Fey, a rogue agent, who had been presumed dead. Not much content really to this book. I listened to it while in the car so it did fill the time driving to and from work but really not one of my favorites.
Kshydog
May 18, 2015 Kshydog rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just a story to read. There was nothing to it as far as a mystery. Holly Barker is as much a character as Stone. Lance the CIA contact and Dino, his NY cop, are in the story but just as idea people. Holly is still obsessed by Teddy Fay, the killer of political people, but still never completes the task. More info about nude swimming, eating, drinking. Nothing about Ham or her dog Daisy.
Mary
Apr 24, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, another Stuart Woods book hits the dust. In this one Holly and Stone are sometime lovers and get to work together again. This time Holly is working for the CIA and asks Stone to come with her to St. Marks island to look for a former CIA agent turned bad.

Stone, Holly, Dino (Stone's NYPD partner) and Dino's ER nurse girlfriend travel to the island on "vacation". They do not find who they are looking for but the story is great and will keep you up at night. It kept me up last night until my e
Nancy

Teddy is indeed alive and kills three people in St Marks: three cruel despots. He is not caught and sails off in a glider.
Barbara ★
I picked up this book at the recommendation of my sister and it is the first Stone Barrington novel I've read. I enjoyed it though it really stretched the limits of believability. New York attorney-at-law Stone Barrington is asked by the CIA to go to the island of St. Marks to investigate the possibility of Teddy Fay being on the island. Teddy is an ex-CIA agent and a murderer whose very existence is dangerous to the president and his re-election potential. Joining Stone on this misadventure are ...more
Mark Giordano
I have to agree with most other reviews I've seen. If you're looking for something more than a quick, light read then this isn't the book for you. Woods combines and brings back characters from other books he's written and the story line is much the same as many of his previous books, just set on a tropical island rather than New York. Quick throw-away vacation read but not much more.
Karen
May 02, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you get the CIA on an island doing recon to find an allegedly dead ex-operative before he hits again. Teddy Fay is on the loose and Holly Barker has called in retired cop Stone Barrington and his cop buddy to pass as tourists to scope out the island for his whereabouts. They are instructed not to do anything but look and report their findings without calling attention to the corrupt factions operating on the small island of St. Marks where Stone previously ran aground of the ...more
Shandi Leonard
Dec 13, 2015 Shandi Leonard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just full of fast paced action. There wasn't much time to think when stone and holly were thrown into the St. Marks mix. With the threat of teddy and the government of the island, stone and holly always had to watch their backs. Even the waters weren't safe thanks to Fred!
Jackson
To be honest, i was disappointed in this book. I had read some of the Stone Barrington books in the past and enjoyed them, so i went into this book with very high hopes. and though the book did have its high points, it just did not maintain its good level throughout the entire book. The scenario played out in the book seems highly unlikely, and just did not appeal to me.
This book did have some good parts to it however. Stone Barrington was a strong protagonist in the book, and i did like the pe
Amy
Aug 21, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by the imaginative Stuart Woods. You do have to suspend a bit of disbelief when reading a Woods novel, as they can be somewhat far-fetched, but once you get past that it's sheer, unadulterated entertainment.

Best part of this book: the resolution at the end. I found myself torn between the protagonists and the antagonists through out the whole book and I think Woods did a great job of wrapping that up in the end for both the story's sake and the gratification of the reader.

Wor
Howard Brittain
A decent episode. But the plot gets itself into a few knots and I found the climax of the story not as well written or as satisfying as previous episodes.
Pat
May 27, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stuart does another great book, always love his books.
Well worth a look at if you love a mystery, thriller, or just plain old shoot if they run
Kathy W
Jul 15, 2015 Kathy W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know what you're getting when you read Stuart Woods - it's pure pulp fiction. Fun, light and not to be taken too seriously.
Edward Westerbeke
Oct 31, 2015 Edward Westerbeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an escape book or as Mike wrote a beach read. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading it. I enjoy reading Woods as compared to some 700 page marathon as a nice escape.
  • Everglades
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • Father Figure
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Wind Chill
  • Ichi the killer, vol. 1
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Double Deuce (Spenser, #19)
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Fright Night
  • Cutter's Run (Brady Coyne, #15)
  • Portrait of Picasso as a Young Man
  • Cutting Class
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • Hemlock Bay (FBI Thriller, #6)
  • Devil's Corner
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)