Blank-133x176
Lassie Come-Home

Eric Knight

Lassie Come-Home

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  14,292 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Twelve-year-old Joe Carraclough is heartbroken. Lassie, the family's beloved collie, must be sold to the Duke of Rudling, a bad-tempered, wealthy old man. The Carracloughs are struggling through hard times and can't afford to keep Lassie, who is without a doubt the finest collie in Yorkshire.

The Duke sends Lassie to his estate in Scotland, four-hundred miles to the north,

186 pages
Published by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1940)

booklady
I have always wanted to read this book; I've seen the movie many times. Now I finally read it as an adult. However, I didn't read it just as ‘story’, but from the perspective of the “Great Journey Home” which we are all on. My read was a quest for universal themes, and one in particular. This quote had me in tears when I first encountered it and saw it as pertaining to my own journey back to Jesus:
‘...there was no hesitation. She was going home. Her senses were now aware of a great satisfaction
Tarissa
This is a delightful and heartwarming story that takes place right after World War I, in England and Scotland. The storyline centers on Lassie, the Carraclough's pet Collie. The family loves their dog very much... but when hard times hit, the family is forced into making a life-changing and heart-wrenching decision.

The town of Greenall Bridge could always depend on seeing Lassie trotting down the streets with her owner, young Joe Carraclough.
As the story unfolds, you will discover how determined...more
Gale
“TO OWN A DOG”

What does it take to be a true dog owner and dog lover? Certainly more than a piece of paper or a pedigree chart. Besides, what is an owner compared to being a dog’s one, true Master? Eric Knight’s 1940 tale of a dog who risks everything to be
reunited with the boy who loves her leaped into the hearts of readers the world over. Based on his youth in the mountains of Yorkshire the story opens with basic conflict: Man versus man, but unfolds into dog versus the world: man, beast, a...more
Wendy
This book would be great for any animal-loving child, but adults like myself can find enjoyment, too. The writing style isn't too simplistic, actually giving kids credit for having some brains. The book also gives children credit for being able to handle more mature subjects, without going into any gruesome details. (view spoiler) Lassie's journey is touching, and I think both adults and children should find this book rewarding...more
Samuel Arnett
This book is awesome i mean awesome.its about this dog named Lassie and her best friend Joe the human,Joe's dad is Sam and his mother.Lassie is a well known dog the hole naberhood knows her,until this mean nasty man named the Duke.The Duke loved this dog so he bought her off of Joe.well Sam.So the Duke takes her home.The Duke is A very rich man,the reason why he's rich is because he trains the dog he collects and put's them in show's.The Duke owns these cage's and keeps the dogs in there.so its...more
Verona
Read this to my girls before nap time, it took us a couple days. My girls were concerned because I was crying at the end, but we made it through.great story about a boy and his dog. the dog is sold to a wealthy family because the Dad lost his job and they need money. However, the dog keeps getting away and returning to the boy.Then the new owner takes her 800 miles away and of course she escapes and heads home. the book is a tender account of her hardships to reach her beloved boy.It has a happy...more
Teresa
Dec 21, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Lassie Rules!!!
I had to put this book on here, because this was by far one of my favorite books when I was little... I would constantly check Lassie out from my elementary library and read it over and over agian... It got me into stories like Call of the Wild, and White Fang... But this book was one of the books that made me the reader I am today... I love lassie! =)
Mary Neary
This is a book that a read and retread as a child as well as watched the movie. The characters, the Scottish countryside and the heart wrenching story of the loyalty of a dog and a family's poverty still stay with me 45 years later. It is a testament to how a great book can become a part of our being and life experience, as if we lived it ourselves.
Carly M.
This is the book (coupled with the old TV show) that made the collie my all-time favorite dog. Even now when I know that having a sheep dog in a house in the suburbs doesn't work out very well, I still can't help but stop and stare in fascination whenever I see a collie or a sheltie (the miniature equivalent) on the street or on TV.
Amy Keane
I read this to my son recently and it is wonderful! A friend gave it to me because she and I have a dream-in-planning to visit England next summer with our families. It takes place in Northern England in Yorkshire, so I tried my best to read it aloud to my son using a Yorkshire accent. I am sure I sounded Scottish. Lassie is taken by a wealthy lord to his home in Scotland to train for dog shows. Of course she misses her "boy" and makes her way back.

The book we read had a map of the regions invo...more
Greta
The Book Maven
Not having read Eric Knight's original story of this, I didn't know what to expect of this picture book adaptation of the story of the faithful collie dog Lassie, who undergoes incredible hardships to return to her home and family. Now that I've finished this, I have mixed feelings. Even after the creators of this version rendered the story into a more simplified version, this book is rather wordy for an audience of picture-book age. Not only that, but there are some pretty heavy themes for the...more
Shelly
I've owned this book since before I can remember. I stole it from my brother when we were kids and wrote my name all over the inside cover so he couldn't take it back. I think I just liked looking at the pictures of the dog. But all these years and I've yet to read it. I'm not sure if I ever will, but I still look at it with fondness.
The BookWorm
This is another classic book that I DEFINITELY recommend!!! It's such a good book and I love good dog stories, I just think it's so nice!! This book is the type of book that you can read while your sitting next to the fire place drinking hot chocolate on a chilly night!! :P
Renee
A friend brought me her old copy of this book, in honor of my new puppy.

I had never read this before. Interesting to read a children's book written long ago. It gives a sense of what was expected of children's ability to understand at that time.

Good story.
Megan
I always thought this book was called Lassie, rather than Lassie Come Home, probably because of the movie and t.v. series. This book is a really sweet story with a happy ending. Not much to it, but it's a perfect children's book, especially for kids who like dogs.
Adam
From back cover: "This enduring classic story of a young boy and his devoted companion is a heart wrenching and compelling adventure."

••••••••••••••••••••••

I found it to be OK and it had some sad parts. Great classic read.
Dxarmbar06
I picked this book up for fifty cents at a used book store and was instantly hooked by the prose. Very deep, intellectual literacy caliber, considering they wrote better back in the early 20th century. This book is about so much more than a dog, it's about the universal class struggle and the Human Condition as seen through the eyes of absolute innocence--a dog. This dog represents everything the poor working man stands for, and all that the rich powerful man seeks to take away. It portrays how...more
Kim
Such a compelling book! One of the best classic book EVER! I loved the story of Lassie! I love Lassie!! I was addicted from the start. I grew up watching the movies and decided to read the books...
Cathy Atkinson
I have an edition that was published in the 1940s that my Mum won at school. My grandmother read it to me as a child and I recently reread it - very interesting experience. Great dog story!
Salvatore Leone
This was one of my favorites from my youth and when I saw that my wife's nephew had a copy I had to reread this classic. It holds up well, is still a wonderful, heartwarming story.
Missy
I read this to my kids and neither one of them liked it. I think it was because they didn't pick it out, I did. But I really liked the book, it was a fast easy read.
William J. Shep
The greatest and most beloved dog adventure of all time. Even someone like me, who doesn't like dogs, loves this story.
Rose Ann
I had never read this as a child. I'm not ashamed to admit I sobbed like a baby when I read this book. Wonderful!
Hans-Peter
This is the first book I ever read. I was six years old, and my Dad gave it to me. A terrific book for kids.
Devika
I love dogs, I loved Lassie from my very soul.. it's my dream to have a dog like her.. :)
Sylvester
Sobbed my way through this one as a kid. Lovely story about the faithfulness of a family pet.
Ali
i was surprised by the emotionally maturity that the author gave to the son.

i love this book.
Maxzine Rossler
Lassie Come-Home is a classic book about a young boy and the bond he shares with his dog Lassie. One day young Joe’s life gets flipped upside down when his beloved dog was sold, and taken away from him. Joe had to do whatever he could to deal with the fact that Lassie is not coming home any more, but this bond was something special and eventually lead to a heartwarming ending. The illustrations that this story provided were very helpful because they painted the picture of what Lassie had to go t...more
Whitepixels
Lassie Come-Home is about a dog who finds her way home to her owners after walking several hundreds of miles and going through various hardships and adventures. Read it when I was about 10 years old; at that time it did not leave much of an impression on me, but I would like to revisit it with adult eyes.
  • Lad: A Dog
  • Big Red
  • Bambi
  • Gentle Ben
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • National Velvet
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • The Incredible Journey
  • Lady and the Tramp (Disney: a Little Golden Book)
  • The Hundred and One Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Justin Morgan Had a Horse
  • The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)
  • Rascal
  • Kazan
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds (Story of Elsa, #1)
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
An author who is mainly notable for creating the fictional collie Lassie.

He was a native of Yorkshire in England, and had a varied career, including service in the Canadian Army during World War I and spells as an art student, newspaper reporter and Hollywood screenwriter.

His first novel was Song on Your Bugles (1936) about the working class in Northern England. As "Richard Hallas," he wrote the h...more
More about Eric Knight...
This Above All You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up Sam Small Flies Again An Unworthy Outcast Song On Your Bugles