Iron West

Iron West

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Preston Struck is an incompetent outlaw with a heart of fool's gold. He discovers an army of metal men bent on destroying central California. While Struck avoids any form of heroism, he gets a little help from a magical old shaman and his sidekick Sasquatch. Struck is going to need all the help he can get because he's deputized just as the mechanical men have taken over th...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Image Comics (first published July 1st 2006)

Bryce Wilson
This is a book where Cowboys fight a bunch of robots. Written By Doug Tenapel who brings his usual command of awesomeness to bear.

I'll repeat. Cowboys. Fighting Robots. If those three words don't make you want to buy this well I just don't know what to do with you.

Brenton Nichol
Doug TenNapel seems to be one of those artists who drives himself to "improve" his output each year by way of slowly whittling away at what made his work so endearing in the first place. In our time-and-efficiency enslaved society, I can understand why one would seek to enhance their work ethic in such ways, but applying such means to art is travesty. Iron West reads like a Reader's Digest abridged version of a tale; as I read, I couldn't help but feel as though every other page of the full stor...more
Cornelia
A rugged, old west cowboy hero, Struck, robs banks, cheats at poker, lies to women with promises of marriage, and runs away at any hint of trouble. Yeah, this bad boy is a real charmer. Still when some old prospectors dig up robots, who in turn dig up a whole army of metal men, who go on a rampage to kill humans, he comes to the rescue of his woman and his town. Of course he has to, he’s set for a hanging and the sheriff gives him no choice but to help or to hang. Our hero, Struck , has some hel...more
Nicola Mansfield
Absolutely brilliant. I loved this one and think it has moved up to being my favourite of TenNapel's books, and I've read a good many of them now. This one is perfectly suitable as a YA-Adult read. I may be partial to this because I am a sucker for both Westerns and Steampunk and Doug has put these two together brilliantly. Only Doug TenNapel could put together the motley crew of cowboys, robots, Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, a train Transformer-type dude, and a lovely lady of the evening in...more
Andrew
Dec 02, 2009 Andrew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic book and sci-fi fans, 12 and up
Doug TenNapel has a talent for making the inordinately strange seem perfectly normal in each story he writes. The premise for Iron West is:

A selfish, two-bit hustler in the wild west of the late 1800’s happens upon an alien robot race that seeks to wipe humanity off the map. With the help of a Sasquatch, a Native-American medicine man, and his “lady of the night” girlfriend, he reluctantly saves humanity (or at least the town) – oh and somewhere in there the Loch Ness monster gets involved too.

S...more
Mark Desrosiers
Cowboys & Sasquatch & the Loch Ness monster vs. some sure-shot robots in the Old West. The tone is simultaneously menacing and comedic, like the Apple Dumpling Gang crossed with the Terminator. TenNapel's robots are bolted together like a fondly remembered W.W. Denslow illustration of the Tin Man, or one of Joel Robinson's bots. The story might have something to say about antiheroes or the nature of the industrial revolution (one mega-robot fashions himself out of train cars), but on the...more
Mantsch
I wish I could give this a higher rating, it might have really been a 2 1/2, I mean, old west, robots, how could I not like it, right? But Tennapel usually grounds these stories in better developed more identifiable characters, and I felt like that wasn't here. More like an afterthought.

The art though, as always with Tennapel, was great, just really detailed in the right way, especially for this story.
Christo Smith
Every bit a Tennapel book as Earthboy Jacobus, this tale of a gambler who comes face to face with faith in a whole different set of ways, leads me to believe the great art and interesting action are ancillary to a story actually worth reading, a rarity in comics these days.
Matt
Sasquatch and Nessy appear in the same wild west story. Lots of fun!
Kristen

As a fan of Doug TenNapel, I cannot resist looking for more graphic novels by him and found Iron West at the library one day. I often do not know what to expect with his work as it takes on a life of its own quickly. Iron West combines living machines with the Wild West in a crazy fun adventure that also involves Bigfoot and a giant train monster. For once, this one is also a little less appropriate for kids, with a couple of more naughtiness, but still full of adventure. I'd say most middle sch...more
Book Calendar
I took some time to read Iron West by Doug TenNapel. It is a graphic novel set in the old west. The style of the story is very tongue in cheek. The drawing is a bit different. Doug TenNapel uses a very loose style with very wide brush strokes. I liked the storyline far better than the art. It is very cartoonish. The drawings contain a lot of humor.

It is cowboys versus robots. The robots are replacing people. It is rather silly to look at robots with sixguns. There is also a sasquatch and an old...more
Craig Williams
Another excellent book by Doug TenNapel, who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comic writers. This a super fun, quick read and I would highly recommend it.
Rebecca Ann
This book was fun in the way that cowboys vs aliens was fun. It was ridiculous and didn't make much sense but there was a lot of action and familiar character types. It definitely wasn't my favorite from TenNapel, and it felt very rushed and vaguely offensive at times. I'm starting to notice that all his main characters essentially look like the same person...
Jake Sherwood
This is an odd, yet wonderfully fun story. Killer robots have been uncovered and activated in the old west, leaving outlaw Preston Struck right in the middle of it.
Although this is a short story, I found it very enjoyable. This, unlike TenNapel's Ghostopolis, hits the themes wonderfully. The themes of redemption and the sanctity of life are found in the story, and reach a good depth. On top of that, the story is just plain fun. TenNapel did a great job at making a story that involves robots, Sa...more
Mary
This is a guy I'd never heard of until I started looking at books for this class. This one I read for the robots, but didn't end up liking it so much. With comics, a big part of the appeal is the style of the illustrations and these were just too cartoony. It did remind me a lot of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr and the video game The Curse of Monkey Island, with their version of wacky humor, non-conventional male lead, and genre mashup. Not my teacup, but I'm still going to give one of his...more
Kevin
A fun graphic novel about a robot uprising in the wild west.
Chris
(Star rating is probably 3.5)
So, this was... interesting. Entertaining, yes. Coherent? Meh, not so much, but a good read nonetheless. Lot of good one-liners and references. The art was good, very stylized, and I didn't have a problem with the basic premises (which include robots, cowboys, Sasquatch, and the Loch Ness Monster). If anything, it felt too rushed. No character development or real story, aside from the very basic plot line. It was exactly what it was intended to be, though, so can't c...more
Zombieaps
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. Yes it has Robots in the old west and I really didn't mind. In fact in my science fiction class I recall a friend requesting a story similar in high school, so there was a little novelty there for me. The story had some underlining cultural myths that I would have liked to have debunked. However, cultural sensitivity aside, I really enjoyed it. I might not run out and buy it but, I don't regret spending my time on this library check out.
Nick
Amazingly enough, another graphic novel sort of in the same genre as Daisy Kutter. It's a legitimate science fiction western graphic novel. I wasn't all that impressed by the artwork, but the story was good, and it was a lot of fun to read.
The story left MANY things unexplained by the end, and the main character's change of heart was a little sudden. On the other hand, nobody could have been as big a weasel as he made himself out to be...
Melissa Bryan
I love this guy he has written so many great book/graphic novels and I each and everyone. Pickup anyone of his book for a great treat, no can't go wrong with any of then. The illustration are also out of this world...still trying to get two of his older graphic novels guess I am going to have to settle for used, but like new, this is going to costs more then new already. So if you are luck enough to find one do pass it by.
Lisa
Jul 21, 2012 Lisa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I try not to read the blurbs on the backs of books, but I'd have saved myself a lot of irritation if I had this time. The back copy reads, "...innocent and enjoyable as...kids playing cowboys and 'injuns." Even if I could look past the stereotypes, many of the jokes were stale (or offensive). A shame, because I was looking forward to the genre-bending aspect.
Artur Coelho
Robots mecânicos animados por artefactos misteriosos, índios alienígenas, cowboys derrotistas e uma cidade a ser defendida da aniquilação. Este livro tem algumas ideias interessantes, mas a estrutura narrativa mais interessada na construção de piadas secas e um traço cru que não cumpre a promessa da obra tornam este livro eminentemente esquecível.
Jeff
Jun 18, 2009 Jeff rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I think I've discovered something about Doug TenNapel's storytelling, and that's pacing. He doesn't quite do it right. Everything on the page feels like it has about the same weight, so I never know when to slow down or speed up, even though the narrative clearly wants me to slow down or speed up at certain times.
Molly
Well, I liked the premise. Pretty much anything with robots has my interest, and you don't have to deliver too much to convince me. But I couldn't even get through this- and it's largely illustrations! The main character is annoying, and it's all written like a bad made for tv movie or sitcom... so disappointing.
Jeffrey
I was very impressed with the drawing and overall creativeness of this work. I really enjoy TenNapel, add that to a good western story, a reluctant hero, robots and sasquatch, what can you do but get on board and enjoy the ride.
Caleb
Amy
Loads of fun! TenNapel is such a talent, and I'm never disappointed when I read his comics. In this work, I was hooked by Struck, the unlikely hero of the story; he's a charmer!
Pablo
Jaden
this story is about killeing robots that killed cowboy and tires to make the land all metal and peopls robots to it's like if a robot it will killed you .
sixthreezy
Reminded me of Cowboys and Aliens... could make kfor a good sci-fi film or TV show. Sci-fi and the West just seem to go together for some reason...
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 7: Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius #7)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Far Arden
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • The Five Fists Of Science
  • Scud: The Disposable Assassin - The Whole Shebang!
  • The Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects
  • The Saga of Rex
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Goatsucker (Proof, #1)
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
Ghostopolis Cardboard Bad Island Creature Tech Tommysaurus Rex