Start by marking “Iron West” as Want to Read:
Iron West

Iron West

Preston Struck is an incompetent outlaw with a heart of fool's gold. He discovers an army of metal men bent on destroying central California. While Struck avoids any form of heroism, he gets a little help from a magical old shaman and his sidekick Sasquatch. Struck is going to need all the help he can get because he's deputized just as the mechanical men have taken over th ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Image Comics (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Iron West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron West

The Gunslinger by Stephen KingBloodrush by Ben GalleyBloodfeud by Ben GalleyBloodmoon by Ben GalleyThe Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher
Weird Westerns
66th out of 138 books — 120 voters
Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapelThis is Not a Test by Courtney SummersWonder by R.J. PalacioHoles by Louis SacharMockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
Need a Book-Read this. 4B
11th out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bryce Wilson
Jul 01, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, western
This is a book where Cowboys fight a bunch of robots. Written By Doug Tenapel who brings his usual command of awesomeness to bear.

I'll repeat. Cowboys. Fighting Robots. If those three words don't make you want to buy this well I just don't know what to do with you.

Brenton Nichol
Doug TenNapel seems to be one of those artists who drives himself to "improve" his output each year by way of slowly whittling away at what made his work so endearing in the first place. In our time-and-efficiency enslaved society, I can understand why one would seek to enhance their work ethic in such ways, but applying such means to art is travesty. Iron West reads like a Reader's Digest abridged version of a tale; as I read, I couldn't help but feel as though every other page of the full stor ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 05, 2013 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. I loved this one and think it has moved up to being my favourite of TenNapel's books, and I've read a good many of them now. This one is perfectly suitable as a YA-Adult read. I may be partial to this because I am a sucker for both Westerns and Steampunk and Doug has put these two together brilliantly. Only Doug TenNapel could put together the motley crew of cowboys, robots, Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, a train Transformer-type dude, and a lovely lady of the evening in ...more
Kristen

As a fan of Doug TenNapel, I cannot resist looking for more graphic novels by him and found Iron West at the library one day. I often do not know what to expect with his work as it takes on a life of its own quickly. Iron West combines living machines with the Wild West in a crazy fun adventure that also involves Bigfoot and a giant train monster. For once, this one is also a little less appropriate for kids, with a couple of more naughtiness, but still full of adventure. I'd say most middle sch
Cornelia
Apr 12, 2012 Cornelia rated it it was amazing
A rugged, old west cowboy hero, Struck, robs banks, cheats at poker, lies to women with promises of marriage, and runs away at any hint of trouble. Yeah, this bad boy is a real charmer. Still when some old prospectors dig up robots, who in turn dig up a whole army of metal men, who go on a rampage to kill humans, he comes to the rescue of his woman and his town. Of course he has to, he’s set for a hanging and the sheriff gives him no choice but to help or to hang. Our hero, Struck , has some hel ...more
Andy
Dec 02, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Comic book and sci-fi fans, 12 and up
Doug TenNapel has a talent for making the inordinately strange seem perfectly normal in each story he writes. The premise for Iron West is:

A selfish, two-bit hustler in the wild west of the late 1800’s happens upon an alien robot race that seeks to wipe humanity off the map. With the help of a Sasquatch, a Native-American medicine man, and his “lady of the night” girlfriend, he reluctantly saves humanity (or at least the town) – oh and somewhere in there the Loch Ness monster gets involved too.

S
Mark Desrosiers
Jun 23, 2013 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Cowboys & Sasquatch & the Loch Ness monster vs. some sure-shot robots in the Old West. The tone is simultaneously menacing and comedic, like the Apple Dumpling Gang crossed with the Terminator. TenNapel's robots are bolted together like a fondly remembered W.W. Denslow illustration of the Tin Man, or one of Joel Robinson's bots. The story might have something to say about antiheroes or the nature of the industrial revolution (one mega-robot fashions himself out of train cars), but on the ...more
Mantsch
Apr 01, 2008 Mantsch rated it it was ok
I wish I could give this a higher rating, it might have really been a 2 1/2, I mean, old west, robots, how could I not like it, right? But Tennapel usually grounds these stories in better developed more identifiable characters, and I felt like that wasn't here. More like an afterthought.

The art though, as always with Tennapel, was great, just really detailed in the right way, especially for this story.
Christo Smith
Sep 06, 2008 Christo Smith rated it liked it
Every bit a Tennapel book as Earthboy Jacobus, this tale of a gambler who comes face to face with faith in a whole different set of ways, leads me to believe the great art and interesting action are ancillary to a story actually worth reading, a rarity in comics these days.
Luisa
I read Iron West by TenNapel in an hour or so. It’s a graphic novel set in the West where alien robots attack after greedy miners delve too deep. Preston Struck, a liar and cheater who runs from trouble, is being arrested before he’s pulled into duty to help defeat the murderous robots. These robot cowboys are controlled by an orb called the Demiurge. Ms. Sharon, a saloon girl, is Struck’s love interest, and Two Rivers is a native American who helps Struck along with Sasquatch. There’s even an a ...more
Matt
Feb 03, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
Sasquatch and Nessy appear in the same wild west story. Lots of fun!
Terrence
Aug 09, 2014 Terrence rated it really liked it
From the guy who created Earthworm Jim, this is a western with robots - not really steampunk in the standard sensibilities, but maybe Ironpunk?

It's one of those stories that the strength of the tale are the small things - the witty banter, the expressions, the somewhat cliched characters that are fun/endearing enough that you get to like them regardless (and that's not a knock on Doug - I rather suspect he made the characters cliches for that very reason.)

More than anything, this is a fun tale.
Jon M
Oct 07, 2014 Jon M rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about how a wanted fugitive in the old west comes across an ancient race of robots, and how he defeats them with the help of a really old guy and his sasquatch sidekick. The illustrations are great and drawn in a cartoonish art style and the ink by TenNapel is great. I really like how this comic is made in black and white and it really adds to the story.

This is a great graphic novel done by Doug TenNapel and is definitely one that any graphic novel fan should read.
Dree
Dec 12, 2015 Dree rated it it was ok
Book Calendar
I took some time to read Iron West by Doug TenNapel. It is a graphic novel set in the old west. The style of the story is very tongue in cheek. The drawing is a bit different. Doug TenNapel uses a very loose style with very wide brush strokes. I liked the storyline far better than the art. It is very cartoonish. The drawings contain a lot of humor.

It is cowboys versus robots. The robots are replacing people. It is rather silly to look at robots with sixguns. There is also a sasquatch and an old
Leah Francis
Aug 27, 2015 Leah Francis rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This just sucked, honestly. I could probably give it more than one star, but it was such a pain to read. The artwork was unimpressive, and the storyline was straightforward and boring. There was a lot of action, but seeing as I didn't care who won, it wasn't enough. The character development was sloppy, and I'm not going to read anything else by this author!
☺Trish
Jan 10, 2015 ☺Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this rollicking and fast-moving sci-fi western which features cowboys & outlaws, a magical Mi-Wuk shaman, Sasquatch, a human-killing robot army, the Loch Ness Monster, as well as a Demiurge-powered Transformer-train. Well done, Mr. TenNapel! Highly recommended for those who enjoy sci-fi, westerns, cryptozoology, and steampunk stories.
Erin Newton
Jun 19, 2015 Erin Newton rated it it was amazing
Another super fun graphic novel by TenNapel. He does such a good job writing humor. Loved the line, "That there's a man of ill repute." Very happy ending, especially the last page after "the end".
Craig Williams
Apr 23, 2014 Craig Williams rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Doug TenNapel, who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comic writers. This a super fun, quick read and I would highly recommend it.
Rebecca Ann
Jan 12, 2014 Rebecca Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book was fun in the way that cowboys vs aliens was fun. It was ridiculous and didn't make much sense but there was a lot of action and familiar character types. It definitely wasn't my favorite from TenNapel, and it felt very rushed and vaguely offensive at times. I'm starting to notice that all his main characters essentially look like the same person...
I liked the black and white art of Iron West, but the book as a whole wasn't anything special. Even though it contained robots, it was filled with a bunch of Western tropes; the characters weren't developed or likeable; and it wasn't very funny. Others might like this more than I did, if they're fans of old-timey cartoons (think Rocky and Bulwinkle era) or intentionally campy westerns (e.g. that Jane Fonda Cat something show).
Jake Sherwood
Dec 13, 2011 Jake Sherwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-lit
This is an odd, yet wonderfully fun story. Killer robots have been uncovered and activated in the old west, leaving outlaw Preston Struck right in the middle of it.
Although this is a short story, I found it very enjoyable. This, unlike TenNapel's Ghostopolis, hits the themes wonderfully. The themes of redemption and the sanctity of life are found in the story, and reach a good depth. On top of that, the story is just plain fun. TenNapel did a great job at making a story that involves robots, Sa
Mary
This is a guy I'd never heard of until I started looking at books for this class. This one I read for the robots, but didn't end up liking it so much. With comics, a big part of the appeal is the style of the illustrations and these were just too cartoony. It did remind me a lot of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr and the video game The Curse of Monkey Island, with their version of wacky humor, non-conventional male lead, and genre mashup. Not my teacup, but I'm still going to give one of his ...more
Kevin
Jun 28, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
A fun graphic novel about a robot uprising in the wild west.
Tom Gaetjens
Aug 27, 2016 Tom Gaetjens rated it liked it
An enjoyable genre-soup; not much stock to hold this mixture together, however.
Chris
Oct 04, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
(Star rating is probably 3.5)
So, this was... interesting. Entertaining, yes. Coherent? Meh, not so much, but a good read nonetheless. Lot of good one-liners and references. The art was good, very stylized, and I didn't have a problem with the basic premises (which include robots, cowboys, Sasquatch, and the Loch Ness Monster). If anything, it felt too rushed. No character development or real story, aside from the very basic plot line. It was exactly what it was intended to be, though, so can't c
Andrew
Jul 02, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. Yes it has Robots in the old west and I really didn't mind. In fact in my science fiction class I recall a friend requesting a story similar in high school, so there was a little novelty there for me. The story had some underlining cultural myths that I would have liked to have debunked. However, cultural sensitivity aside, I really enjoyed it. I might not run out and buy it but, I don't regret spending my time on this library check out.
Nick
May 01, 2010 Nick rated it liked it
Amazingly enough, another graphic novel sort of in the same genre as Daisy Kutter. It's a legitimate science fiction western graphic novel. I wasn't all that impressed by the artwork, but the story was good, and it was a lot of fun to read.
The story left MANY things unexplained by the end, and the main character's change of heart was a little sudden. On the other hand, nobody could have been as big a weasel as he made himself out to be...
Melissa Bryan
Mar 21, 2012 Melissa Bryan rated it it was amazing
I love this guy he has written so many great book/graphic novels and I each and everyone. Pickup anyone of his book for a great treat, no can't go wrong with any of then. The illustration are also out of this world...still trying to get two of his older graphic novels guess I am going to have to settle for used, but like new, this is going to costs more then new already. So if you are luck enough to find one do pass it by.
Lisa
Aug 18, 2014 Lisa rated it did not like it
I try not to read the blurbs on the backs of books, but I'd have saved myself a lot of irritation if I had this time. The back copy reads, "...innocent and enjoyable as...kids playing cowboys and 'injuns." Even if I could look past the stereotypes, many of the jokes were stale (or offensive). A shame, because I was looking forward to the genre-bending aspect.
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius, #7)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Far Arden
  • Johnny Hiro
  • The Five Fists Of Science
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • American Elf: The Collected Sketchbook Diaries, Vol. 2
  • Deadenders
  • Scud: The Disposable Assassin - The Whole Shebang!
  • Quantum and Woody, Vol 1: The World's Worst Superhero Team
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • Grandville (Grandville #1)
  • Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities