Start by marking “Gear” as Want to Read:
Gear

Gear

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Originally published in single magazine form as GEAR #1-6 and Gear Collection."--T.p. verso.
Published February 13th 2007 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Gear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gear

Runaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamI Kill Giants by Joe KellyBone by Jeff SmithThe Unwritten, Vol. 1 by Mike Carey
Reading Rants! Graphic Fantastic
61st out of 80 books — 42 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 27 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
73rd out of 89 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Entertaining but doesn't go anywhere much.
Nicola Mansfield
First, I'll just say this book is *not* for children because of what I guess the industry would say "disturbing images": the first page has a guy being shot in the head execution style, later someone's neck is bloodily sliced, and so on. This is a hard book to review, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I guess I'll work it out as I write about it. I really liked it but ... it is pretty weird. The day after I read it, I felt better about it than when I had just completed it, though the endin...more
Eric
Jul 30, 2007 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in Doug TenNapel's work.
Shelves: graphicnovels
Gear is an interesting work in a number of ways. The story and art, taken for themselves, are entertaining, however they do not hold up to the standard of quality that Doug TenNapel has set for himself with his subsequent works. What really make Gear a valuable read is that it is his first book, and as such you can see a truly masterful storyteller learning the craft and developing his style. This work also became the source material for the animated cartoon show Catscratch, which adds to the im...more
Ted Brockwood
The early story is very difficult to follow, to the point, kids won't really enjoy it, and most adults may be left scratching their heads until 2/3 of the way through the book. The art style is interesting, if a bit distracting.
Brenton Nichol
This short graphic novel, TenNapel's first, was fantastic! The art is messy but very fun and expressive, having been Doug's first work done with an ink brush, and the story retains the freshness and cartoony-ness of his zany imagination that seems to have been diluted (or perhaps retread) in his more recent work. The story introduces the reader to all of Doug's trademark elements - sentient mantis-like bugs, huge animal-like robots, wild alien landscapes, and a wicked sense of humor.
Melissa Bryan
I love this guy he has written so many great book/graphic novels and I each and everyone. Pickup anyone of his book for a great treat, no can't go wrong with any of then. The illustration are also out of this world...still trying to get two of his older graphic novels guess I am going to have to settle for used, but like new, this is going to costs more then new already. So if you are luck enough to find one do pass it by.
Victoria K
You know what? I was totally transported. There's a lucid AND otherworldly/dream-like qualities to the narrative. I love every character. I love TenNaple's brushwork, which is perfectly suited to his story. I spent a lot of time studying his panels and page layouts: they're fabulous. There's bunches of energy here. It's one of my all-time favorites.
Matt Piechocinski
Sometimes even people I like strike out. The cartoony art is good, and if you take into account that TenNapel had no direction for this (per the afterword), then it makes some sense why the story is lacking.
Heydi Smith
I really liked the beginning of this book but after that it was kind of generic. So a great start but with only fizzle in the middle and end.
Jeffrey
TenNapel intrigues me with his approach and distinctive style, good to see some of his early work. Enjoyed this quick story.
Lesley
Students that are graphic novel connoisseurs will like this one. As for me, I just didn't really get it.
Scott
It was a fun little frolic. I didn't like this as much as some of the others but still worth the read.
Isaac
Dog, cats, giant robots...mix in a little crack and you get this graphic novel. Strangely engaging
Mathieu
Mathieu marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Eduardo Castro torres
Eduardo Castro torres marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Zura
Zura marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Austin Porter-elkin
Austin Porter-elkin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Katie Elmore
Katie Elmore marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Nathan Amos
Nathan Amos marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Cammcgra
Cammcgra marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014