Start by marking “The Last Great Fight: The Extraordinary Tale of Two Men and How One Fight Changed Their Lives Forever” as Want to Read:

Meticulously researched, wonderfully written; the untold story of a legendary fight and the two warriors who would never be the same again

It is considered by many to be the biggest upset in the history of boxing: James "Buster" Douglas knocked out then-undefeated Heavyweight Champion Mike Tyson in the 10th round in 1990 when the dominating and intimidating Tyson was cons
Published October 2nd 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Great Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Great Fight

Lance
Dec 17, 2016 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was considered to be one of the greatest upsets in the history of boxing. On February 11, 1990, James “Buster” Douglas, a 42-1 longshot against heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, knocked out the champion in the tenth round to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. This book by Joe Layden not only captures the events and magnitude of the fight itself, but also portrays both of the fighters and the paths they took both before and after that fight.

Nearly every aspect of the actu
Joshua
Mar 03, 2009 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not much of a boxing fan, but I remember every detail of this fight. It is probably my favorite single sporting event I have witnessed. You cannot overstate how much of an underdog Douglas was at the time. And while Mike Tyson has spent the last 15 years as more of a sideshow attraction than a fighter, back in 1990 he was commonly regarded as one of the most dominating heavyweights of all-time. So when I happened upon this book in the bookstore, I was compelled to relive that fight.

But the
Robert S
May 22, 2017 Robert S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, sports
Mike Tyson and Buster Douglas was arguably the last shocking fight in the sport of boxing.

Mike Tyson was considered the "baddest man on the planet", an unstoppable machine who looked to rule the heavyweight division of boxing between now and the end of time. And it was a fight in Tokyo against a journeyman boxer that put an end to it all.

This is the story of both men. The story of how they arrived to that fateful afternoon in Tokyo, the fight itself, and the aftermath with the impact it had on b
Sebastian
Apr 03, 2011 Sebastian rated it liked it
I'm a fairly casual boxing fan, a category that seems to be almost non-existent these days, as most folks tuned out long ago and those that remained are far more committed and knowledgeable than I'll ever be. I find boxing simultaneously alluring and repulsive, compelling and grotesque, and I have asked myself or more than one occasion why I stick with it. I have, however, much more than a casual interest in Mike Tyson, who I think is one of the most interesting, screwed up, anti-social and undo ...more
Joshua
Jul 15, 2008 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buster Douglas/underdog fans
Recommended to Joshua by: nobody
My favorite boxing match of all-time....weird, i know. It was a fluke right? Well, the reason i love this fight so much is because Buster Douglas defied the odds, beat a monster, and for one fight reached the pinnacle where everybody thought he should be.

I watch this fight all the time when it's on TV and i actually have it Tivo'd and when nothing else is on....i put it on. Buster Douglas did every single thing he could of to beat Mike Tyson...exactly.....perfectly...amazingly. It's said that 80
Ice
May 26, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, afro-american
Jared
Dec 26, 2007 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently, I heard someone say that sportswriters are leaps and bounds ahead of all other non-fiction writers. After reading this book, I think there is a lot of merit to that assertion. Quite possibly, this is one of the best books I have ever read. The research was impeccable (he interviewed both Tyson and Douglas), the writing was excellent, and his analysis was amazing. Obviously, Tyson is not a good person, in any sense of the word, but at least the author was smart enough not to treat him a ...more
Mike Angelillo
If you have followed the saga of these two boxers over the years then there is not too much new in this book (except perhaps where their lives were in 2006).

It is a good history of Tyson and Douglas leading up to their match in Japan and the aftermath for the fighters and boxing itself. The zoo that surronds Tyson is almost surreal and you can see hos he was already on the way down before Douglas took him down.

Douglas is also a very interesting story and you can see the very best of him (vs Tyso
J.C.
Oct 05, 2007 J.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boxing fans
Shelves: best-non-fiction
a great read. I first read Joe Layden when he "co-wrote" Home Before Daylight (with Steve Parrish) and I had a good feeling that he would tackle this subject well. I was not disappointed.

A even handed profile of both fighters done in a relatively gentile way. It would be easy to sit back and judge both men, one who had everything and gave it away, the other given a opportunity, a miracle even, and in his own way squandered that as well. but there is no judging in this book. just a reporting of
Eva
Dec 01, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Eva by: Phil and Irene Tufano
What an excellent book. I used to be a big boxing fan but there haven't been any great fighters in many, many years, not to mention the corruption involved in this sport. The rise and fall of Tyson and Douglas was exciting but also so very sad. There were many things that contributed to Tyson's fall, all brought on by himself. One of the worst things he ever did was hook up with that ridiculous Don King and his whole horse and pony show. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time.
George
May 15, 2009 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have a soft spot for boxing books, and i have always been interested in the douglas v. tyson fight. this book will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about that fight and it's remarkable aftermath. neither tyson or douglas were ever the same. i actually found the background info of the fighter's careers which led to their tokyo fight to be the most interesting part of the book. had the feeling of being a little long at the wrong places, and a little short where you wanted more, but al ...more
Matty
Apr 13, 2010 Matty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Mike Tyson is such a tragic figure - he's easy to condemn, and the fact that he is a convicted rapist makes me feel conflicted about him, but he is so soft-spoken and seemingly regretful about how his life has panned out that it's hard to hate him.

I enjoyed this book a lot - it is about much more than the fight between Buster Douglas and Tyson, but reflects on their lives both before and after this fight.

I think sports fans will love this book. If you don't like sport, don't bother - you'll be b
Chris G
Jan 19, 2009 Chris G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i don't usually pick things out of the sports isle, and don't really follow boxing, but tyson's first loss has always had that effect like your folks remembering where they were when kennedy got shot. the book is geared towards people like me who aren't sports addicts, and you get a good look at the human side of the two fighters and what it takes to get to that level.
Frank
Jun 29, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you saw this fight, the memory of the knockout is as vivid and permanant as the tattoos on Tyson's face. Author Joe Layden unravels the long and revealing backstory of that one searing moment, and it's Buster's father "Dynamite" Bill Douglas and his trainer John Russell who emerge as the most interesting characters in the quintessential "behind the scenes" book.
Audrey
Nov 20, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing very little to nothing about any sort of fighting, this was a really great book! Taught me a ton about not only the two fighters but also about the sport of boxing as well. It was a great read!
Superilla
Mar 15, 2011 Superilla rated it it was amazing
I used to think Buster Douglass was a bum. This book 100% re-evaluates my stance on him. Seems like a guy who was just too nice and friendly to be a part of the cutthroat world of boxing. At least he got his moment at the top.
Ryan
Dec 26, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Simply the best sports book I've ever read, no doubt. I learned so much about everything and everyone involved with this fight that I didn't know before. Extremely well written, if more sports books were even half as good I'd be thrilled.
Mary
Dec 09, 2007 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating account of one of the greatest upsets in all of sports.
Mark
Jul 09, 2013 Mark marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
In-depth look at the Buster Douglas upset of Mike Tyson. Enjoyed the details leading up to and after the fight. Very insightful look at the business of boxing and why it has declinedl
Tim Lee
Detailed look at the lives of Douglas and Tyson. Douglas, while likeable, just doesn't come off as an interesting topice. While whole books could be (and will be) written about Tyson.
Tom Davis
Nov 29, 2011 Tom Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most comprehensive stories ever written about a sports event and how it played an important role in sports culture.
Thomas
Aug 02, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Good writer. Pre-fight stuff from years before and the lead up to the fight itself are the best part of it.
Tom Davis
Nov 29, 2011 Tom Davis rated it it was amazing
A helluva book about a sport that should be extinct
Andrew Pinney
May 02, 2011 Andrew Pinney rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
One of my favorite boxing books.
Nate
Dec 30, 2012 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good take on a great story. Well-written & insightful.
Dan Neumann
Dan Neumann rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Mike Clark
Mike Clark rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2012
Vadim Khait
Vadim Khait rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Randolph
Randolph rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2010
  • Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques
  • Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
  • The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring
  • Ghosts of Manila: The Fateful Blood Feud Between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier
  • Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat
  • The Book of the Sword: With 293 Illustrations
  • Get Tough! How to Win in Hand-to-Hand Fighting, As Taught to the British Commandos, and U.S. Armed Forces
  • Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero
  • Arnie and Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
  • Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing
  • Raging Bull: My Story
  • A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting

“You’ve gotta work hard to stay on top, and when you stop wanting to work hard, you just become average. That happens to anyone.” 1 likes