Start by marking “Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind” as Want to Read:
Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind

Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This pathfinding collection has become a seminal text for the burgeoning ecopsychology movement, which has brought key new insights to environmentalism and revolutionized modern psychology. Its writers show how the health of the planet is inextricably linked to the psychological health of humanity, individually and collectively.
Contributors to this volume include the prem
Published January 1st 1995 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about Ecopsychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecopsychology

Robert
Every era throughout history goes through a kind of insanity. Perhaps the psychopathology of modernity is the disconnect between the psyche of nature and the human psyche. We are living in an era where the material aspects of nature are emphasized and exploited for short term economic gain. This is most likely due to our modern disenchanted world view. Technology is the crown of the Enlightenment, but when man removes himself from the Tao, he steps into a void, where human nature begins to resem ...more
Mads P.
I first got this book in college when I was writing my honors thesis for my environmental studies certificate and English degree. I believe it's out of print now. I decided to re-read it because I'm interested in studying this more in depth now.

The book is composed of many essays that deal with the psychological component of the environmental movement, including how our physical distance from the natural world and knowledge of its destruction affects our psyche.

Not the most entertaining read, as
Kendylus Roboticus
Dec 01, 2007 Kendylus Roboticus rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book gives insight into the psychological relationship between humans and the earth. It's essential for one to understand their relationship with the world and animals around them and to recognize the connections between all them. One cannot live without the other.
Gaye Anderson
A fascinating read! A wonderful smorgasbord of writings by a variety of authors on an exciting topic I wasn't aware had been around for awhile. Am keen to explore this field more.
Eliza
May 11, 2007 Eliza rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the eco-curious
this book is a catalog of various attempts or approaches to understanding the psychology of the current human - eco relationship - including the feminist theory that taught masculinity and domination remove "man" from a healthy relationship with nature or that we must understand that the our dying earth must be cared and mourned for - a clear reminder that we cannot just recycle and buy hybrids but that we must remove ourselves from our cosumption obsession and sustainably grow and produce with ...more
Michael
Four or five of the essays were fascinating but overall I can't really recommend this book. It doesn't even answer the basic question, What is ecopsychology? Apparently there is no single answer to that seemingly simple question.
Natalie
Sep 07, 2007 Natalie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: environment/psychology
ben took a class at MIAD that encompassed the ideas in this book. we've had this book since he took that class...i loved it then, and i have sort of "re" discovered lately. i think this book is what drove ben and i to apprentice on an organic farm after graduation of college.....feeling somewhat detatched from the cycles of nature.
Justin
Ecopsychology, environmental psychology, environmental sociology, conservation psychology - Jesus. It's all documentation of this rare drama onfolding around us now. namely, how we live and how we die.

it's just happening faster than we ever thought.
Lindsay
Every essay had a gem buried in it. And, where are the Ecopsychology training programs in this country??? Jeanette Armostrong (Okanagan elder) wrote the last essay and every word spoke to my heart -- what an amazing woman!
Eliot
It's not an easy read by any means, but a valuable book. I think it's important that we include our connection with nature as a vital part of mental health. So easy to forget in the city...
Liz
I read this for a class in undergrad. I was completely stunned with my emotional reaction to the information in this book. It is a must-read for people that care about the environment.
Daniel Mello
Straight up: waste no time, as every page must be understood if we are to change our culture for the better! LOVED the Eco-centric insight of a variety of academics. Read it!
NK
I am forcing myself to finish this book. i don't like it at all, but figured it would be a good read, yeah not so much.
Nico Our Lady of the Sacred Bonechuck
This book is what my heart's been trying to tell me since I was born.
Suzanna
My textbook from the Ecopsychology course at Naropa.
Dina Mahmoud
My Ecopsychological Bible:)
Oliver Barnett
Oliver Barnett marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Ian Shimizu-pughe
Ian Shimizu-pughe marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Biwi
Biwi marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
*heartrl*
*heartrl* is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
John Morgan
John Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Vellozia Squamata
Vellozia Squamata marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
  • Biophilia
  • Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World
  • Ayurveda and the Mind: The Healing of Consciousness
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Art As Medicine: Creating a Therapy of the Imagination
  • Intelligence in Nature: An Inquiry Into Knowledge
  • The Secret Language of Color: Science, Nature, History, Culture, Beauty of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, & Violet
Flicker The Making of a Counter Culture The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein The Cult of Information: A Neo-Luddite Treatise on High-Tech, Artificial Intelligence, and the True Art of Thinking Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology