Start by marking “Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind” as Want to Read:
Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind

Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind

This pathfinding collection has become a seminal text for the burgeoning ecopsychology movement, which has brought key new insights to environmentalism and revolutionized modern psychology. Its writers show how the health of the planet is inextricably linked to the psychological health of humanity, individually and collectively.
Contributors to this volume include the prem
Published January 1st 1995 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about Ecopsychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecopsychology

May 14, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Every era throughout history goes through a kind of insanity. Perhaps the psychopathology of modernity is the disconnect between the psyche of nature and the human psyche. We are living in an era where the material aspects of nature are emphasized and exploited for short term economic gain. This is most likely due to our modern disenchanted world view. Technology is the crown of the Enlightenment, but when man removes himself from the Tao, he steps into a void, where human nature begins to resem ...more
Mads P.
Jan 09, 2009 Mads P. rated it really liked it
I first got this book in college when I was writing my honors thesis for my environmental studies certificate and English degree. I believe it's out of print now. I decided to re-read it because I'm interested in studying this more in depth now.

The book is composed of many essays that deal with the psychological component of the environmental movement, including how our physical distance from the natural world and knowledge of its destruction affects our psyche.

Not the most entertaining read, as
Kendylus Roboticus
Dec 01, 2007 Kendylus Roboticus rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book gives insight into the psychological relationship between humans and the earth. It's essential for one to understand their relationship with the world and animals around them and to recognize the connections between all them. One cannot live without the other.
Gaye Anderson
Aug 17, 2014 Gaye Anderson rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read! A wonderful smorgasbord of writings by a variety of authors on an exciting topic I wasn't aware had been around for awhile. Am keen to explore this field more.
Nov 16, 2015 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Yet another book that helps me heal and saves my life, over and over
Jan 19, 2016 Lenny rated it it was amazing
environmentalist, planner,'ve gotta read this.
May 11, 2007 Eliza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the eco-curious
this book is a catalog of various attempts or approaches to understanding the psychology of the current human - eco relationship - including the feminist theory that taught masculinity and domination remove "man" from a healthy relationship with nature or that we must understand that the our dying earth must be cared and mourned for - a clear reminder that we cannot just recycle and buy hybrids but that we must remove ourselves from our cosumption obsession and sustainably grow and produce with ...more
Oct 09, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
Four or five of the essays were fascinating but overall I can't really recommend this book. It doesn't even answer the basic question, What is ecopsychology? Apparently there is no single answer to that seemingly simple question.
Sep 07, 2007 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: environment/psychology
ben took a class at MIAD that encompassed the ideas in this book. we've had this book since he took that class...i loved it then, and i have sort of "re" discovered lately. i think this book is what drove ben and i to apprentice on an organic farm after graduation of college.....feeling somewhat detatched from the cycles of nature.
Sep 26, 2007 Justin rated it liked it
Ecopsychology, environmental psychology, environmental sociology, conservation psychology - Jesus. It's all documentation of this rare drama onfolding around us now. namely, how we live and how we die.

it's just happening faster than we ever thought.
Oct 02, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Every essay had a gem buried in it. And, where are the Ecopsychology training programs in this country??? Jeanette Armostrong (Okanagan elder) wrote the last essay and every word spoke to my heart -- what an amazing woman!
Aug 20, 2009 Eliot rated it liked it
It's not an easy read by any means, but a valuable book. I think it's important that we include our connection with nature as a vital part of mental health. So easy to forget in the city...
Oct 29, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing
I read this for a class in undergrad. I was completely stunned with my emotional reaction to the information in this book. It is a must-read for people that care about the environment.
Daniel Mello
Jan 27, 2013 Daniel Mello rated it it was amazing
Straight up: waste no time, as every page must be understood if we are to change our culture for the better! LOVED the Eco-centric insight of a variety of academics. Read it!
Aug 02, 2011 NK rated it did not like it
I am forcing myself to finish this book. i don't like it at all, but figured it would be a good read, yeah not so much.
P. Es
Oct 09, 2007 P. Es rated it really liked it
Interview on the book here;
Nico Our Lady of the Sacred Bonechuck
This book is what my heart's been trying to tell me since I was born.
Oct 10, 2008 Suzanna rated it liked it
My textbook from the Ecopsychology course at Naropa.
Dina Mahmoud
Dec 20, 2012 Dina Mahmoud rated it really liked it
My Ecopsychological Bible:)
Emma-Jayne Saanen
Mar 20, 2012 Emma-Jayne Saanen rated it it was amazing
Review to follow.
Xiaolu marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Louise marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Julia S
Julia S marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Brea Viragh
Brea Viragh rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Emilija is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2016
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Laura Annan
Laura Annan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Sir Readalot
Sir Readalot marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
  • Deep Ecology: Living as if Nature Mattered
  • Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World
  • Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World
  • Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
  • Becoming Animal: An Earthly Cosmology
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Nature and Madness
  • Re-Visioning Psychology
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • The Lost Language of Plants: The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicine to Life on Earth
  • Scripture, Culture, and Agriculture: An Agrarian Reading of the Bible
  • Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds
Theodore Roszak was Professor Emeritus of history at California State University, East Bay. He is best known for his 1969 text, The Making of a Counter Culture.

Roszak first came to public prominence in 1969, with the publication of his The Making of a Counter Culture[5] which chronicled and gave explanation to the European and North American counterculture of the 1960s. He is generally credited wi
More about Theodore Roszak...