Start by marking “Mashed Up: Music, Technology, And The Rise Of Configurable Culture (Science/Technology/Culture)” as Want to Read:

From ancient times to the present day, writers and thinkers have remarked on the unique power of music to evoke emotions, signal identity, and bond or divide entire societies, all without the benefit of literal representation. Even if we can't say precisely what our favorite melody means, we know very well what kind of effect it has on us, and on our friends and neighbors. ...more
Published July 21st 2010 by University of Massachusetts Press

To ask other readers questions about Mashed Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mashed Up

Scott
Sinnreich writes an important book about the topic of remix (he calls it configurability) in today's culture.

The book is nicely set up, as the first third talks about the modern discursive framework (essentially how we as a society understand concepts like art, authorship, originality, etc.) and follows that by addressing how Configurable Culture (ie, the practice of remix) destabilizes those modernist concepts by making them straddle a "gray area" between their binary opposites. For example, th
Andrew
Aug 07, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
Not an area I know much about, so I can't critically evaluate very well. But Sinnreich is (for the most part) an engaging writer who asked interesting questions and had interesting, if not fully argued, answers. The last chapter, where he tries to draw culture-wide inferences from the close study of musical mash-up production, and to offer some gender and race critical reflections was kind of underwhelming.
Leah
Jul 14, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic-me
A little too pedantic and thus inaccessible, even for me and that's saying something! I'm grateful to Sinnreich for his concept of configurability though; it's a useful concept to theorize about intellectual property in an interoperable, technological and participatory age.
Chhaya
Feb 26, 2011 Chhaya rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
While there are certainly some interesting concepts here in how to understand the tensions between art and commerce, the writing is pretentious and overly academic and turned me off.
April
April rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Liisa Ladouceur
Liisa Ladouceur rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2014
Aram Sinnreich
Sep 07, 2011 Aram Sinnreich rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dunia
Dunia rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Aram Sinnreich
Jan 25, 2015 Aram Sinnreich rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Josh S
Josh S rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Andy Sternberg
Andy Sternberg rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2011
Karina Grotz
Karina Grotz rated it liked it
May 13, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Gabriele Gargantini
Gabriele Gargantini rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Miguel Caetano
Miguel Caetano rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Bryce Renninger
Bryce Renninger rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Sarah Messbauer
Sarah Messbauer rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Tim Jaeger
Tim Jaeger marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2010
Stevphen Shukaitis
Stevphen Shukaitis marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2010
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2010
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2010
moreno
moreno added it
Oct 16, 2010
Samrat
Samrat marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2010
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2010
Seth
Seth is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2016
Ali G.
Ali G. marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2010
Chris Reed
Chris Reed marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2011
Amber
Amber added it
Mar 06, 2011
Heather (DeathByBook)
Heather (DeathByBook) marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2011
Katie Rodemich
Katie Rodemich marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2011
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2011
Karen Witzler
Karen Witzler marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2011
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2011
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
Toon
Toon marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Dave Pier
Dave Pier marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Victor Avila
Victor Avila marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Bruna Castanheira
Bruna Castanheira marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Nesha
Nesha marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Aram Sinnreich is an Assistant Professor at Rutgers University’s School of Communication and Information, in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies. Sinnreich’s work focuses on the intersection of culture, law and technology, with an emphasis on subjects such as emerging media and music.

He is the author of two books, “Mashed Up” (2010), and “The Piracy Crusade” (2013), and has written for
More about Aram Sinnreich...