The Demon in the Teahouse (Samurai Detective, #2)

The Demon in the Teahouse (Samurai Detective #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The beautiful, mysterious women of Japan are being killed one by one. The famous samurai Judge Ooka knows he will need help to solve the crimes, so he turns to his newly adopted son, fourteen-year-old Seikei. Determined to prove his worth as a samurai, Seikei goes undercover as a teahouse attendant in the exotic "floating city" of Yoshiwara, where demons lurk among the ple...more
Published November 3rd 2005 by Puffin (first published May 21st 2001)

Julie
This book is basically exactly what I was expecting. A mystery heavily peppered with bits of Japanese culture and history. I think the plot, character development, and writing are entirely secondary to the purpose of introducing young readers to Japan. Considering I have to teach this in my Language Arts class, that annoys me.

ETA: After an interaction with the author that spanned several years, I've decided the negatives of this book and his choices in interacting about it, in addition to his a...more
Lisette Sanchez
Compared to the first book, I felt that this story was lacking.

We got to see Seikei solve another mystery but it wasn't as exciting as the first case. I didn't really get to interact with the antagonist which was rather sad since I wanted to know more. The reason for the killings/fires was explained at the end but even then I felt dissatisfied. The characters felt too distant. They were introduced and then taken away, only to reappear once more for some important event.

For example:

(view spoile...more
Arminzerella
Xyra
I have always been interested in Japanese culture as well as mystery, tea, and the paranormal so what could be better than a book called The Demon in the Teahouse. The book gave me a little Japanese history and lessons on the culture of the time.

This book is set in the 1700s - based on when the actual Judge Ooka lived. The judge and his adopted son, Seikei set out to help find out who is setting fires in Edo. The investigation leads them to the area of Yoshiwara. Once there, the judge has Seikei...more
Karissa
This is the second book in the Samurai Mystery series; there are six books total in the series. If you enjoyed the first book you will enjoy this one. The two books are very similar in style.

Seikei is busy training as a samurai when his master, Judge Ooka, gets a desperate call for help. Fires have been breaking out in Edo and Judge Ooka must find out why. The mystery will lead Jedge Ooka and Seikei deep into the geisha district; where Seikei must help figure out if the fires are being caused by...more
Liora
In this sequel to The Ghost in Tokkaido Inn, Seikei has begun his training as a samurai at the home of his adopted father Samurai Judge Ooka. Judge Ooka and Seikei become involved in the investigation of some mysterious, suspicious fires in the nearby city of Edo, and also the death of two geishas. Seikei goes to work in a teahouse in the exotic, floating city of Yoshiwara where the geishas live and entertain at night. With his natural curiosity, quick intelligence, and eager desire to please Ju...more
Linda
This young adult book has a bit of an historic flair. It takes place in Japan in- I believe- the 1700s. I think that it's the 2nd book in the series. Fourteen year-old Seikei is the adopted son of Judge Ooka, a wise samurai. Seikei is training to be a samurai too. Not only are the beautiful geisha girls being murdered in the exotic floating city of Yoshiwara but fires, the dread of all cities who have buidings made of paper, are being set by someone. Judge Ooka sends Seikei into Yoshiwara to obs...more
cindy
Kisah Seikei Konoike #2

Setting kisahnya bertempat di Yoshiwara, kota hiburan dekat Edo, tempat bermukimnya para Geisha. Untuk yang sudah pernah membaca Memoirs of a Geisha, maka intrik, cara pikir dan kondisi kehidupan mereka yang coba ditonjolkan di sini sudah tidak jadi kejutan lagi. Sedangkan kisahnya sendiri tidak jauh beda rasa dengan kisah pertamanya, Seikei membantu Hakim Ooka mengungkap kejahatan dengan kecerdikan dan keuletannya, dibumbui dengan rencana rumit untuk balas dendam serta ko...more
Geoff
This is a breezy read because the story is a brisk whodunit. The characters are embedded in Edo Japan three centuries ago, but the piece doesn't feel dated. Instead, its young, earnest samurai-want-to-be hero leads us on a tour of the 'floating world ' of geishas and teahouses in search of an arsonist and a murderer. The cultural detail is satisfying and moderately deep, but it doesn't overshadow the mystery and investigations or drag down the pace. At about 200 pages, the Hooblers have crafted...more
Carolina He
I actually didn't expect this book to be so amazing! I love mystery books. And even though this book is not really known, I enjoyed it very much. I especially like judge Ooka and Seikei.
Victor
This book was another interesting case solved once again from the great Judge Ooka. This books demonstrates many superstitious qualities in the Japanese culture. I really did like the idea of geishas being used as victims in the book. I also really liked this one part in the book, when it talks about the geisha herself can be a demon, cause they could be as selfish and greedy as one. But I think the authors should have more content about Seikei's training in becoming a samurai. Well, there was a...more
J.J.KaCHANG
awesoooome, too great. the book left me speechless
Trina
Dec 24, 2007 Trina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, those interested in Japanese culture
Seikei is sent by Judge Ooka to the Floating District to discover who has been murdering women (geisha and servants) in the area. It's an interesting look at the culture of the time period, but it's mostly an enjoyably suspenseful mystery.

Seikei is resourceful and intelligent, but he's also a typical teenage boy which means that he gets into trouble while trying to do the right thing.

These books are a quick read. I'm already on the last one -- and I started reading the second one yesterday.

Angelic Zaizai

Setelah jadi anak angkat hakim Okaa, Seikei harus latihan keras menjadi samurai, sekaligus membantu ayah angkatnya menyelidiki kasus kebakaran di Edo.
Akhirnya membawa Seikei ke Yoshiwara, sebuah Dunia Terapung di luar Edo tempat rumah teh dan tentunya para Geisha berada.
Disana Seikei bertemu Umae, geisha paling tenar paling didambakan, tapi juga paling berbahaya karena beberapa orang2 yang dekat dengannya telah tewas.
Jenny
Seikei has been adopted into the samauri family of the powerful Judge Ooka. The judge is in charge of stoping fires in Edo, but several have broken out recently. It is up to Seikei to gather information for the judge by spying in a tea house in the "floating world.' He must face hostile employees, foolish girls, and a woman bent on revenge. He must face her down atop a burning roof if he is to survive.
G T
first of all, the Ghost in the Tokaido Inn was a terrific book. the story was perfect for me (being a seasoned reader of fictional history. when I got the second book in the series, I couldn't wait to start it. when I did I finished it 2 sittings. it was really good. what I noticed was the word choice that was in this story. even if a didn't like the word choice, the story made up for that.
Alvi Harahap
It's Japaness Sherlock Holmes, though in the end of book cover we could find out that Hakim Ooka figure did really exist. The pacing and writing is once again top notch and as all good books should do absorbs the reader into it’s world and paints out the actions of the characters in the mind of the reader. A definite read for mystery and Japan fans of all ages.
Jenielle Haynes
When a series of fires in Japan's capital points to foul-play, the famous samurai Judge Ooka puts fourteen-year-old Seikei on the case to discover who's behind them. Determined to prove his worth as a samurai, Seikei poses as a teahouse attendant to gather information, and winds up entering the mysterious worlds of geishas and revenge.
Mahathi
Who's the evil villain? IT'S...I'm not telling you. The book does this awesome red herrings where you sometimes you mistake who the actual bad guy is. I like the characters the story, and some insight into what a geisha is, which i never knew before. Enjoyable and fun to read. Other books in this series.
Ningsih
Waktu lihat cover buku ini, merasa "wooowww....,ni buku pasti seru banget!"
Tp,ternyata ceritany tak seseru covernya. Bukanny tak menarik sih..
Tp kurang greget aja untuk jenis buku yg berisi kisah samurai jepang..
But, two thumbs buat book cover-nya, keren euy!, Liked it! b^^b
Pipit Di
Membeli karena aku suka cerita samurai jepang ( terpengaruh Ruroni Kenshin dan Flash of wind)tapi ternyata tidak sesuai dengan perkiraanku, membaca novel ini harus pelan pelan, supaya bisa memahami jalan cerita, alasan memberi bintang empat karena cerita lumayan bagus.
Rad
More Samurai adventures! I think that Seikei is going to be like the young, dorky James Bond of Japanese detectives. Every book he meets some other hot girl, but then by the end he has to leave her. Because of his travels! With the judge!
Katashiro
Aug 04, 2009 Katashiro rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katashiro by: my bestfriend, shuurei
Shelves: my-shelf
this is a very good book..it literally transported my ever wandering mind to the tokugawa era. thrilling and satiating... its very suitable for those like me who enjoys the thrill of deaths and mysteries
Angelo
This book was amazing to read, even though I read the first book first. The author wrote it so good even if I read the second one first, It was very easy to follow the first one.
Andri
The author know how to make the reader won't stop read it 'till the last page. But nothing so special about the story. And almost all evil person on the book is dead.
Lina
Oct 02, 2008 Lina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Lina by: librarian
the sequel to The ghost in the Tokaido Inn, it is a suspense builder. its title explains its subject. it is really about a demon in a teahouse.
Charlotte
This is a great mystery with historical fiction mixed in. The plot is great; a book you definitely need to read!
Nukeyeti
Gets off to a slow start but quickly gets very interesting. Just as good as the first in the series.
Bcoghill Coghill
I very much enjoy this series from the 17th century Japan. This is the second and I have my eye on the third.
Faith
One of the great sequels to The Ghost in the Tokadio Inn. It is all about young Seikei's adventures.
  • White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)
  • Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Blue Fingers: A Ninja's Tale
  • The Sign of the Chrysanthemum
  • Assassin (Lady Grace Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bracelet
  • The Samurai's Tale
  • The Way of the Warrior (Young Samurai, #1)
  • 1001 Cranes
  • The Empress's Tomb (Kiki Strike, #2)
  • Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects
  • From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler, a married couple who have written numerous books together, were drawn to this story of great writers inspiring each other collaboratively. Their most recent novel, In Darkness, Death, won a 2005 Edgar Award. They live in New York City.

Series:
* Samurai Detective
* Century Kids
* Her Story
* Images Across The Ages
* American Family Album
More about Dorothy Hoobler...
The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn (Samurai Detective, #1) The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein The Crimes of Paris: A True Story of Murder, Theft,  and Detection In Darkness, Death (Samurai Detective, #3) The Sword That Cut the Burning Grass (Samurai Detective, #4)