Start by marking “Maigret and the Wine Merchant” as Want to Read:
Maigret and the Wine Merchant

Maigret and the Wine Merchant (Maigret #71)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Maigret is a registered trademark of the Estate of Georges Simenon.
Published June 16th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret and the Wine Merchant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret and the Wine Merchant

The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan PoeThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben PellerDandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Cheers!
61st out of 115 books — 40 voters
Junky by William S. BurroughsThe Rum Diary by Hunter S. ThompsonThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlOpiate Addiction - The Painkiller Addiction Epidemic, Heroin ... by Taite Adams
Under the Influence
123rd out of 174 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra

“Ciascuno di noi, chi più chi meno, è da compiangere. Cerco di capire. Non ho la pretesa di inchiodare tutti alle loro responsabilità”

Chi legge Maigret ha da tenere a mente questo pensiero del commissario, che è il filo conduttore di ogni storia. Lo è in modo particolare della storia raccontata in questo libro, perché mai tanti personaggi sgradevoli, meschini ed amorali sono stati concentrati in un romanzo di Maigret. A partire dalla vittima, Chabut, figlio di un oste, che ha creato con le sue f
Jim
This is one of Georges Simenon's later mysteries -- it was published in 1970 -- but it is every bit as good as his masterpieces of the 1930s. Maigret and the Wine Merchant is the story of the murder of someone who needed murdering. Occasionally, as in several of his earlier books, we see the Chief Superintendent sympathizing more with the murderer than the victim.

The interest thing to me if that Simenon himself was something of an ogre, somewhat like his murder victim Oscar Chabut. Both Simenon
Texbritreader
This was my first Maigret and although I appreciated the author's style, an economical use of language and tight plotting, I must say it was a bit of a disappointment. Although billed as a mystery, this short book turned out to be a detective story that reads like a mystery for the first two-thirds and concludes in the final third with an exploration of the character and circumstances of the murderer as he makes his confession to Maigret, mirroring the opening incident of the novel.

The mild cat
Bob
Simenon published 75 Maigret novels over four decades and they seem to be stuck in a sort of timeless early 20th century Paris. This one is from 1969 and one searches in vain for a temporal clue – student rebellion? Algeria? The Cold War? At best, we can note that most households have television.

The murder victim, a wealthy wine wholesaler, has been shot leaving a "maison de passe”. It quickly becomes clear that it is not a case of "who wanted him dead?", rather "who didn’t want him dead?". Maig
Nancy
Georges Simenon has accomplished a rather remarkable feat in his extensive collection of Inspector Maigret novels:

. . . he writes about murder without making it a parlour game, nor is it so sordid that we wince;
. . . he uses very unadorned, simple language (although I am reading translations from the French, I assume they are "true") yet the books have some depth and richness;
. . . he lets us in to the psychology of the crime and the crime-solver but never makes it tedious---we'll call them char
TK421
Notes:

What type of detective is Maigret?

A justified killing? chabut...

oh i forgot...

Pigou....sorry man
Laurab
Entertaining, fun, engaging.
Chana
Very interesting little mystery. Not much happens in the way of action; this is more an examination of types of people, their motives, actions and reactions. What are their resources, their backgrounds, their intelligence, education, financial standing, state of marriage. What kind of a person commits a murder? What drives a person to such an action? Why are certain people seducers and philanderers? Or lazy or unkind or timid? Strangely, considering the pace and lack of action, the book is not b ...more
Tony
Simenon, Georges. MAIGRET AND THE WINE MERCHANT. (1970). ****. While in the middle of interviewing a young man who has just confessed to murdering his grandmother after asking her for money, Maigret is interrupted by the news of a prominent wine merchant having been shot to death while leaving a high-class house of assignation. After overseeing all the forensics and having the body taken away, it is up to Maigret to inform the victim’s wife of her husband’s death. When he talks to the dead man’s ...more
Phillip Kay
Maigret and the Wine Merchant was first published as Maigret et le marchand de vin in 1970. It was translated by Eileen Ellenbogen. Oscar Chabut was a very successful man. He had started from nothing and made himself proprietor of one of the most successful wine businesses in France. But he had a chip on his shoulder, a need to humiliate and dominate every man and woman he dealt with. Someone had enough. Leaving a bordello one evening, Chabut is shot dead. There seem to be too many suspects, far ...more
Jill Hutchinson
Another Maigret tale from the world's most prolific mystery writer. These book are so enjoyable because the plots are extremely simple, you often know who the killer is early on, and there is no violence. The joy of reading of Maigret's investigations is the beauty of Simenon's narrative skills. He paints a picture of his characters very skillfully and many times the murderer is a victim of circumstance for whom you feel empathy. In this short book, a philandering and wealthy wine merchant who i ...more
Karen
When prosperous wine merchant Oscar Chabut is shot dead outside a fashionable bordello he has just been visiting with his mistress and secretary, Maigret finds that extra-marital behaviour in Chabut's social group is pretty much the norm. Chabut seems to regard sexual conquest as a means of exerting power and maintaining his self-esteem, and has in the course of his business, created rather a large cast of enemies. Hints of blackmail, anonymous telephone calls and letters and glimpses of a shado ...more
William S.
This is a good detective read, and perfect as an introduction to the world of Inspector Maigret. It explores both the seamy and the fashonable sides of Paris, as Maigret sets out to discover who killed a prominent wine wholesaler. The solution depends upon Maigret's knowledge of human behavior and motivation. We almost feel sorry for the murderer, given the provocations that finally became irresistible. Miss Marple would not approve, but I loved it!
Dan
I was told of this author about three weeks ago, and 3 days ago, I started to read this book, my first of this author.
The book was amazing; it was simple to read, simple to understand, and at 187 pages, it was very short. I liked it a lot, and if the other books in my small collection of Simenon books are as good, I'll have a new favorite author.
I highly recommend this book to whomever wants a good read but doesn't have the time to read a long book.
Nigie
The second story in the two-novel anthology recently bought from the local opshop concludes my dip into Georges Simenon. Not boring, but unremarkable is this murder mystery in which the killer wasn't even one of the suspects. Ending disappointingly to say the least, it seems more a superficial study of a loser in the French economy than a whodunnit. Why couldn't the killer have been Madame Blanche???
Anna Rossi
In questa storia Simenon punta i riflettori più che sulle indagini sulla personalità della vittima e il lettore si vedrà impegnato a seguire il commissario Maigret nei suoi "pellegrinaggi" da un luogo a un altro per appurare più elementi possibili sulla vita dell'uomo assassinato, mentre un'insidiosa influenza disturba i processi mentali dell'acuto poliziotto...
Jc
Another fine Maigret adventure. Maigret is the only polic-procedural cop who seems to lead a normal life with a loving wife and no obsessive angst. The calmness of the character makes the nasty world of crime and murder that he deals with seem more disturbing. Georges Simenon is one of the great contributors to crime fiction in the post-Holmes world.
Carrie
This slim book gets a lot done in a short amount of time. French Chief Inspector Maigret is in charge of the investigation of a promintent Paris wine merchant. Though he finds that the dead man richly deserved his fate, Maigret must set a trap for the killer, a killer who has overstepped the boundaries of acceptable societal behavior.
Roxy
Schneller Marsch durch einen Simenon!

Einen Maigret zu lesen, heißt, zu wissen worauf man sich einlässt: ein solider Krimi. Meine Lieblingsfigur ist immer noch Madame Maigret. Herrlich resolute Ehefrau und irgendwie etwas schrullig.

Maigret liebt Sauerkraut und Kassler, und Bier?! Ist mir vorher nie aufgefallen.
Lexi
I adore the Maigret mysteries, which feature a lovely French Inspector who seems to get more depressed than elated by his work. It's kind of old-fashioned which I also like. Really, they're lovely tales. I read this whole on in airports and on the plane! Very engrossing!
Jen
Great detective novel...I think I have found a new author! I enjoyed the pacing of the novel and of Chief Inspector Maigret. If you're looking for a quick, but thoroughly enjoyable read I would recommend this one.
oOSarahOo
Un maigret assez divertissant mais j'ai trouvé le dénouement relativement sans intérêt. Cela dit, l'intrigue est bien menée et j'ai beaucoup aimé l'atmosphère de cette enquête de Maigret.
Jim
Oscar Chabut, opulent negocient en vins, qui conduisait une Jaguar rouge, a ete atteint de quatre balles. C'est Maigret en plein grippe qui mene l'enquete.
Tom Mulpagano
Another fast read. A bit depressing, but it is a murder mystery. Maigret is a great, Homes=esque character.
Bill Stephens
Very good. Light-reading, but the atmosphere and characters are wonderful. I've read it again and agani.
Susan Springer
Reading candy for me! Simenon is still the master of the genre.
Tina
Nice, easy book to read. Simple single detective story to follow.
April
Jun 10, 2010 April marked it as to-read
recommended on Slate's Culture Gabfest
Babete
( Maigret e o Taberneiro )
Mosco
Mosco added it
Dec 10, 2014
  • The Abominable Man (Martin Beck #7)
  • Hammett
  • Summertime All The Cats Are Bored
  • Murder In The Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho, #5)
  • Il gioco degli specchi
  • Breakout (Parker, #21)
  • Donne informate sui fatti
  • Recoil
  • Murder at the Lanterne Rouge (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #12)
  • Entanglement (Teodor Szacki, #1)
  • The Dead Stay Dumb
  • Pick-Up on Noon Street (Pocket Gray Stripe, 2846)
  • Total Chaos
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By Dirty Snow The Yellow Dog Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett The Strangers in the House