Start by marking “The Influence” as Want to Read:
The Influence
Preview

The Influence

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This new edition of The Influence features J.K. Potter's rare photographs, outtakes, and a fifty-page interview with Ramsey Campbell. The book is not available in any other format.

With a printed silk front panel, top-edge stain, ribbon marker, patterned endsheets, and duotone images, this edition is signed by Ramsey Campbell and J.K. Potter.
Published March 15th 2011 by Centipede Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Influence

Everly
Wow! I read this in one night. A spooky page-turner ghost story starring a creepy old lady & an 8 year old kid. Wait for the amazing chase sequence through the abandoned train.
Toni
This is indeed a horror story, of a will making itself stronger than death. It also draws on that fear in all of us of losing our identities, of being swallowed up by some unknown terror which replaces us so we're no longer recognizable by friends and family, becoming a stranger to those we love. It can also be seen as a metaphor for the transitions experienced in childhood, when a child grows and becomes more aware of himself in relation to the outside world, and becomes an individual no longer ...more
Olethros
-Nada nuevo bajo el sol… perdón, bajo las tinieblas.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. La desagradable y dura Queenie, ya anciana, muere en su propia casa y es enterrada con un camafeo bastante antiguo y que contiene cabello de la hija de su sobrina Alison, Rowan, que tras el deceso casualmente conoce a una nueva amiguita, Vicky, bastante inquietante y con ideas contrarias a las que Alison y su marido, además de cualquier otra persona en sus cabales, tendrían.

¿Quiere saber más de
Fabulantes
Reseña: www.fabulantes.com/2013/06/influencia...
"(...) En Influencia, Campbell remueve nuestras entrañas a base de pervertir emblemas de la candidez o de la fragilidad como la niñez y la ancianidad. (...) El desconcierto surge de la toma de conciencia de que no hay una bondad preexistente: la anciana es malvada (por soledad) desde el primer momento, y su objetivo es la atormentada Rowan Faraday, su sobrina-nieta de 8 años que terminará por corromperse, por “pudrirse” (expresión que aquí alcanza
Kevin Lucia
EXCELLENT. One of the smartest things Samhain has done is re-release Ramsey Campbell's backlist. Easily one of Campbell's best - emotional, horrifying - quietly - and satisfying resolution at the end. The best thing about Campbell's work is this: subtract the supernatural element, and you still have moving, tense emotional dramas. Just very, very good.
Martin
Loved it. One of Campbell's best.
Charles Dee Mitchell
I'm done. I have now abandoned the second of the five Ramsey Campbell novels I read -- or didn't read as the case may be.

Lured in by the fact that the Oxford Companion to English Literature refers to him as "the most respected living horror writer," I gave him my best shot. Perhaps the stories neither age nor travel well.

This time out, the scary great aunt dies and attempts to take over the soul of her young grandniece. If this had been a made-for-tv movie now making the rounds of Chiller Networ
Dreadlocksmile
First published back in 1988, Campbell’s psychological horror ‘The Influence’ delves into the world of the spirit and the afterlife. He quickly sets the situation of the book down, with the introduction of the very close-knit Faraday family, then slowly builds the tension as the story unfolds. Campbell’s characterization of the family is superb, making the characters believable and their personalities involved. The character of Rowan in particular is easily liked and draws upon your emotions as ...more
Sam Reese
I don't know why, but I can't seem to get through a Ramsey Campbell novel. This is the second one I've tried and it just doesn't work for me. Something about his writing style causes me to think about all kinds of other things rather than the book. Just didn't grip me. Oh well, some will like it I'm sure.
Jonathan Oliver
This is my third time round with The Influence and it remains one of my favourite horror novels. I first read this when I was doing my A-levels and it hadn't been long since I'd discovered Campbell's work. I also read it for my BA dissertation on modern horror.
The theme of possession is sensitively and intelligently handled. This, at its heart, is about the mistakes of adulthood being visited on the next generation and though it is overtly supernatural, this isn't a simple spook story. It is a s
Rebecca McNutt
I loved this book, it was so vividly detailed and incredibly creepy! It played out much like an old 1970's TV movie and has everything from possessed kids to witch-like old ladies to beautiful descriptions of the English seaside. If you like mystery and horror books, The Influence is definitely one you've got to check out!
Rob Bliss
I think this is what would be called an atmospheric horror. A lot of the horror comes from the descriptions of the scenery, and psychologically, how certain characters view that scenery. Few monsters live here.
Joey
This was my first Ramsey Campbell book; given his reputation I expected much more. As a low-key spooky tale of possession, it was okay. It didn't elicit much reaction from me one way or the other and was occasionally crossed that invisible line from "low-key" to "boring."
Stacy Simpson
This book could have been done a lot better then it was. I was very disappointed. Skip it if u have it
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
some of his books are hard to follow, but I really enjoyed this one
Bad didn't finish.
Borja
Borja is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
CloudStrifeACC
CloudStrifeACC is currently reading it
Ava Grace
Ava Grace marked it as to-read
Ludovica
Ludovica marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kindlefilia
Kindlefilia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
William Jr.
William Jr. is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
  • Wieland, or, The Transformation
  • The Hour of the Oxrun Dead
  • The Insult
  • Rogue Moon
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Cold Print Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother