Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness

Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  836 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Warning: Using this book could be hazardous to your ego! The slogans it contains are designed to awaken the heart and cultivate love and kindness toward others. They are revolutionary in that practicing them fosters abandonment of personal territory in relating to others and in understanding the world as it is.

The fifty-nine provocative slogans presented here—each with a...more
Published July 29th 2003 by Shambhala (first published 1993)

Valerielynnbassett
THis was part of the curriculum for a class on Lojong - which simply means "mind training" in Tibetan - a way of using something like proverbs to train the mind in Buddhist precepts. They are wonderfully sharp, witty gems that have come down through centuries and translation. I found them and this book very lucid and helpful. It will take many readings and much contemplation and practice to really "get it," but that's the whole point - these are connected to a practice.
Mark
This is a book of the Venerable Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's teachings on the 'Seven Point Mind Training of Geshe Chekawa." This root text is actually one of the best known texts in a style of Tibetan Buddhist literature known as Lojong, which means 'training the mind.' Trungpa Rinpoche's method for introducing this text is to divide the text into 59 'slogans' or 'pithy sayings' that the student can memorize and use to train their minds in everyday situations of all kinds.

Tibet's 'Lojong' teachin...more
StudioWellspring~Anjie
i'm taking an essential shmbhalal buddhism class right now and this is one of the required readings. it is good to be sure, but very intense and full of details that only a well-read shambhala or buddhist practitioner would fully grasp. so i wouldn't recommend reading it without a book club or class or teacher to discuss it with.
William
Rough sledding. The writing is tortuous. I would direct interested readers to Pema Chödrön's well written and more engaging works, especially Start Where You Are, The Places That Scare You, and When Things Fall Apart.
Ymfoo1
Very though provoking. Some of the teachings especially on tonglen and breathing meditation: breathing out good, loving kindness and breathing in bad.. How to? difficult to accept or reach that level of compassion.
Keith Willcock
I have the 1993 version of this book but it is the same length so I assume the content is pretty much the same. I call this my little book of reminders. Originally written down in the 1100's as the Root Text of Training the Mind these 58 slogans's offer practical instruction on how to live life from the Manahayana Buddhist point of view in stead of from a selfish materialistic perspective. Chogyam was known as a "crazy wisdom" teacher and for anyone who was privileged to know him he had a tremen...more
Spyros
This comes from the guy who couldn't train his mind enough to find his local AA meeting, even after becoming a cripple at the age of 23 or so from a dui, which, to his credit, did not stop him from having a family and a sizeable shanga.

Trungpa was a very colourful character, certainly gifted, certainly a charmer, most certainly a drunkard, and he had an equally colourful sangha where me managed to appoint an hiv positive alleged rapist as an heir, the inimitable Ösel Tendzin, the Vajra Regent,...more
Geri Degruy
Excellent book about calming and training the mind which relates to every moment of every day we live and every relationship we have. It's hard stuff. Chogyam Trungpa doesn't pull any punches although he also has a good sense of humor. I've read this many times and will read it many more.
Benjie Deford
This book has helped guide my life like no other, based on a series Of slogans to help lay practitioners hundreds of years ago meditate and do meditational practice within lay Tibetan life. Yet it is more than important still today since it shows us how to live with Buddhism instead of how to be a Buddhist by leaving the world. When I asked my one time college mentor my anthropology teacher who had been a Buddhist monk in Thailand for five years for the best book to read about Theravada or Buddh...more
Meg
I love the first two sentences on the back of the book: "WARNING! Using this book could be hazardous to your ego!" This book contains 59 slogans that are meant to help meditation students in mind training. Trungpa, to me, is always provocative to read. He cuts through the fluff and gets down to the simple truths.
Carolyn
Sometimes I lose track of what he is trying to say - these being transcribed from dharma talks - but sometimes his examples and explanations are right on. His wisdom just cuts through. Makes me want to re-read Pema Chodron's book on the same topic though - for clarity.
Shaun Goodfellow
A wonderful guide to The Root Text of the Seven Points of Training the Mind!! So, train in the slogan we must, yes. What is more..it comes with an attractive gold ribbon bookmark, permanently affixed. Bonus points for aesthetics!! :)
Cherie
Aug 24, 2007 Cherie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Buddhists, those trying to live mindfully
B+ This book is an example of what a genius Trungpa was. He truly gets how to explain things to people. He uses slogans and everyday examples to try get people to think and act more mindfully and fully embody loving-kindness.
Marnix
By now many books have appeared commenting on the so-called Atisha slogans, In my eyes this one is the very best, If you want to know where Pema Chödron got the goods, you should look here.
Duncan
Highly recommended. It really opened my eyes to what Buddhist practice is, rather than what I thought it was at this time.
Stu Webbb
As a Buddhist, I worked with these slogans for about a year. I can't say they stuck with me. They didn't reach my heart.
Auronee Islam
The book reads well. It's always good to be reminded and re-connect with the teachings and practices. A handy guide.
Elizabeth Lozano
I have read this book 4 times. It is worth reading a chapter occasionally, even randomly. Quite inspired.
Helen Carter
I read this as study for the IDproject's home study course on Lojong and Compassion practices
Jeff
read it more times than i can count. will keep reading it for many years to come.
I love the Cultivating Loving Kindness practice.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Jan 15, 2012 Gloriavirtutisumbra marked it as to-read
Shelves: theology
i've got a copy of this somewhere...
Super V
Dec 23, 2007 Super V rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: A++
Everyone should read this book!
Klgg
Dec 06, 2008 Klgg marked it as to-read
Pema Chodron's teacher
Ana Hernandez
A classic. Re-read often.
Jade Weston
A book to read and re-read.
Barbc
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing
  • Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • Teachings of the Buddha
  • The Life of Milarepa: A New Translation from the Tibetan
  • Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • The Heart Sutra
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was also trained in the Nyingma tradition, the oldest of the four schools, and was an adherent of the rimay or "non-sectarian" movement...more
More about Chögyam Trungpa...
Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation Meditation in Action Crazy Wisdom