The Last Algonquin

The Last Algonquin

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  20 reviews
As recently as 1924, a lone Algonquin Indian lived quietly in Pelham Bay Park, a wild and isolated corner of New York City. Joe Two Trees was the last of his people, and this is the gripping story of his bitter struggle, remarkable courage, and constant quest for dignity and peace.

By the 1840s, most of the members of Joe’s Turtle Clan had either been killed or sold into sl...more
Published May 1st 1997 by Walker & Company (first published April 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Algonquin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Algonquin

Ruth
This book smells like a fabrication to me. Some day I may write in detail why. If it were honestly presented as a novel I might give it two stars.
Just.a.little.haiku
I'm a skeptic. But as much as I could take issue with a white man writing (capitalizing on) this Native American story -- it is Theodore Kazimiroff's father to whom Two Trees told his story and gave his respect, not Theodore Kazimiroff himself -- I'll just evaluate the story itself, not the surrounding circumstances.

The writing of this story, which the author admits has lost something in transmission from Two Trees to Theodore Sr. and then from Theodore Sr. to Theordore Jr., is fair at best. But...more
Maggie Reed
This story is amazing. I realise it's considered fiction, but the fact is, this is a real story about real people. There are poignant moments, moments of complete unadulterated prejudice, and a story of a lifetime surrounding the days of the Civil War without becoming immersed in it. Even in the eastern US, where it touched heavily, there were small pockets where it wasn't affected by it much at all. The story of Joe Two Trees should never be dismissed as trifling.
Murray
Recommended reading for anyone with a love of history and New York. Joe Two Trees is a memorable, tragic character. Mr. Kazmiroff is to be thanked for preserving this opportunity to marvel at what it must have been like to have been the last of your tribe in a world that has changed beyond understanding.
Moriah Writes-a-lot
I loved this book. The beginning is slow bu fascinating and the second part is an amazing story well told. I realized when I was done reading how little dialogue there was in the book and loved how it didn't hamper the book at all since I always have to little dialogue in my works. This is a great piece of literature and history and I love the author's use of view points. I loved the ending and will rant about its many wonderful features (because I love to rant about Indians tough I really don't...more
Erik
and inspiring read; fills the reader with awe and respect for a lost culture and admiration for a single man who refused to give himself over to the status quo. This book also made me feel ashamed to be descended from this continent's white settlers. That being said, The message of these pages never delved into cliche or political ranting, and that is one of its greatest powers, to make you feel, with a beautiful story that Stands for itself only, and somehow becomes a passage into self examinat...more
Zach
Everybody needs to read this book! It is hard to believe the events of Two Trees's journey were real, and I kept thinking how it seemed like fiction and his story would be an amazing movie. I think this book more than any other I didn't want to put down, I just needed to know what would occur next in the Indian's life. Though there are certain aspects of the book that especially made me like it, I can't see how anyone would not enjoy reading this. Excellent book, one of my favs, read it now!
Rob
I found this to be a very enjoyable read. Its wonderful that this native american's story was preserved so well, and I appreciated how it helped me see things through his eyes. It is fascinating to me what a person can learn from his environment when he is forced to do so. In a sad way, this man's story proves that it is in fact possible, for a person to be entirely self-reliant with zero dependence on society, and I find that fascinating.
Moriah
I loved this book. The beginning is slow but fascinating and the second part is an amazing story well told. I realized when I was done reading how little dialogue there was in the book. I love how it didn't hamper the book at all since I always have to little dialogue in my works. This is a great piece of literature and I love the author's use of view points. I loved the ending. Again the disclaimer that while this was for school I chose it.
Brenda Shufelt
An amazing book about a NYC dentist who began as an Eagle Scout gaining medals in Pelham Bay Park and would leave his office suddenly to pick up artifacts at construction sites...no, it's about the last living Algonquin. Just amazing. I use excerpts in a unit on My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George to teach my Harlem students about living in nature. They are amazed (as am I since I used that word already twice!)
I was hoping this would be more of history/memoir than it was. It crossed a bit into the imaginative, but was overall a fun book to read. Don't know that I will recommend it to many, but I really liked walking through the area I live with the characters (esp here in the Bronx and Pelham area).
Bridget
Amazing non-fiction recount of a life in the margins of 19th Century New York. Another way of looking at history, from the last man of his tribe, seeing his home transform from under him...I read this book twice. Once over 5 years ago, by chance.
Leslie
This book took me forever to read, but I really wanted to learn something from it and I was fascinated by the concept and the truth of it. In the end, it was really touching. And made me want to go to the Bronx.
Monique
really interesting account of what pelham bay park was like when still inhabited by Native Americans and what was happening in society as they disappeared
Niadwynwen Koch
So far this book is steady and digestible. Hopefully things will get insightful and tender. I mean, that's what I am looking for.
Sally  Smith
A wonderfully sad story that could only be compared to being the last civilized person on the planet.
Karen
When is someone going to make this into a film?
Nitty Gritty
One of the most beautiful books I've ever read.
Beth
would like to give a 3.5... rounded up.
Buck
Buck marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ruth Kevghas
Ruth Kevghas marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014