Start by marking “The Nanny Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Nanny Diaries

The Nanny Diaries (Nanny #1)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  308,689 Ratings  ·  4,884 Reviews
Wanted:
One young woman to take care of four-year-old boy.
Must be cheerful, enthusiastic and selfless-bordering on masochistic
Must relish sixteen-hour shifts with a deliberately nap-deprived pre-schooler
Must enjoy the delicious anticipation of ridiculously erratic pay
Mostly, must love being
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Nanny Diaries, please sign up.

Marie Binder Not really, the narrator reflects on what is happening, but does not address it to a diary. There is also no dates or dear diary, if thats what you…moreNot really, the narrator reflects on what is happening, but does not address it to a diary. There is also no dates or dear diary, if thats what you mean.(less)

F Macias-Mossman
It is one long anecdote disguised as a novel. A lot like "Devil Wears Prada," it is just a laundry list of incidents while working for the shallow, designer-clad perfectionist. It reads more like an article in Us Weekly, In Touch, and or the Mecca of all celebrity rag mag's, People.

What it is clearly the flaw in novels like "Nanny Diaries," and "Devil Wears Prada" is that the protagonist fumbles through the novel lacking any goal or purpose. Instead, these idealists, cute but not too cute young
Stacey
Mar 31, 2008 Stacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HA!
Recommended to Stacey by: my mother-in-law
This book was a gift while I was working as a nanny. At first it was funny, with all of the little observations that all nannies make- mainly about a certain, small subsection of women who hire nannies- the wealthy, entitled, narcissistic bitches.

As the story progresses, it becomes obvious that the children are the losers, the parents have no business being parents, and the nannies do nothing to help make the family a better place. Instead they whine about mistreatment, go along with abuse, and
Tea Jovanović
Čitaocima nepoznata činjenica, ali živa istina... Narodna knjiga i Laguna "tukle" su se oko ovog naslova... :) Na moju žalost, jer sam tada još bila u NK, dobila ju je NK... A Laguna je "čapila" meni dražu knjigu "Čik me uhvati"... Volela bih da je situacija bila obrnuta... :) Ali ni jedni ni drugi se nismo usrečili s prodajom tih knjiga a zbog "tuče" su nas papreno koštale u autorskim pravima... Sada posle 10 i kusur godina od tada mogu hladne glave da sagledam neke stvari... Te dve mlade devoj ...more
Jennifer Holland
Aug 20, 2007 Jennifer Holland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this during a series of fifteen-minute breaks at my job. In the interest of full disclosure, I have a bit of a grudge against any book packaged as chick-lit, the literary equivalent of low-cal fast food. However, I thoroughly enjoyed both The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing and Prep, and understand that genuinely good fiction is sometimes whored out with candy-colored covers so they'll sell, and I'm always happy to be taken by surprise when that's the case. Not so with this book. Now, ...more
Cheri
Apr 25, 2008 Cheri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. I found the plot (if you can call it that) predictable and unimaginative and the characters flat. BO-ring. Wish I could get those hours back of my life. Can't believe they made a movie out of it. Although, if there are as many people watching "American Idol" as they say there are, I'm sure there's a ready audience for the movie.
Madeline
Dec 09, 2007 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-judgements
If you must insist on reading chick lit, I recommend this one. There's a romantic subplot and lots of shopping and snarky best-friend banter, of course, but the main relationship in the story is between the main character (called Nan or Nanny by everyone in the story) and her four-year-old charge, Grayer.
Both authors used to be nannies in New York City, and you can tell they really enjoyed venting their frustration about past employers in this book. There's the controlling, neurotic mother, the
Sonja
Feb 18, 2009 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought I liked this book. It was well-written and emotionally touching. On the other hand, when I finished it, I was very sad for all the Grayers of the world, and a little bit angry about which people claim to be parents and which people really ARE parents. But I guess that was the point, wasn't it?

But then I thought about it some more, and decided that there were other reasons why this book was not fulfilling for me. There was absolutely no character development. Nanny was the same
alana Semuels
This is what happens when you go to a Goodreads book swap and pick up a trashy book, thinking "Oh, i'll read this on the beach someday, it looks mindless." And then you start reading it before bed one night to rest your brain. And then you stay up for three hours reading it, not because it's good, but because it has a plot that is clear and fast-moving, and that is more than you can say for all those high-falutin books that win awards for talking about the moonlight falling on a burning rabbit. ...more
Kimberly
I must say didn't you feel like slapping Mrs. X and shaking Nanny!
The abuse of power by the richy rich Mrs. X was amazing, even more so was Nanny taking it and staying.
It was touching seeing the relationship between her and 'Grover'. The book left me feeling sad for him and his mother constantly changing his caretakers at the faintest perceived slight.
Nicole *`((O_O))`*
I am so glad that I only pay this book for 50 cents.

Yet...I hate it. It is really bore me so hard.

I read it till 50 pages, I started to lost my interest in this book.

I was like

RIGHT....

BLAH!
Leftbanker
Apr 10, 2016 Leftbanker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose that I am one of the few heterosexual males who actually read The Nanny Diaries, or at least part of it before I wanted to make my own guillotine and start lopping off the heads of America’s vulgar ultra-rich. The only reason I tried to read it was because I was going through a phase when I lived in Seattle of noticing the books that people were reading on the bus, or in coffee shops, or where ever. I wanted to get a feel for what folks were buying. A very disheartening exercise at tim ...more
Ilze Powell
Apr 20, 2016 Ilze Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very sincere and entertaining story. Made me feel like I'd just worked a summer on the Upper East Side babysitting a bunch of brats (by that I mean the moms). I guess if you're into that kind of gig this would be your perfect manual.

The authors surprised with their wit and charming ways of revealing the hideous traits of an otherwise enviable New York socialite's lifestyle. In retrospect, the nanny might have even felt too decent and humane at times.

Great start. I would love to read more about
Amy G.
Nov 02, 2007 Amy G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book!! OMG..I wanted to kill the wicked Mrs. X! I wish Nan would've had more back bone!! Wonderful & entertaining! Highly recommends!!
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Can I just comment about the movie instead of the book?

Sorry, my bad.. It’s just frustrating that I found that I liked the movie adaptation better after I’ve finally read this much-hyped story about nannies and their bitch-employers.. Add to the fact that Harvard Hottie was portrayed by no less than Chris Evans who is certainly a hottie!!

Take note: I read this book first before I watched the movie.

This book gave me mixed feelings after reading it. True, all I wanted was for Nan to tell them (the
Weng
5/5.0 stars

Please read the blurb and tell me this book isn't already a promisingly witty read. I just got the sequel Nanny Returns which I will be reading very soon, hopefully, with teenage Grayer X seeking Nanny out for her abandonment (her sacking, actually).

I live in the Philippines where nannies are widespread because, I assume, everybody needs a career to elevate their lifestyle and to support daily demands in a developing country such as ours. As a result, nannies tend to be surrogate pare
Candy Boisvert
Jun 19, 2008 Candy Boisvert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nannies
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
How many pages: 306 pgs
How long it took me to read: 10 days
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: Seeing it around Chapter's and then being released as a movie

This book was purchased at: McNeely and Robinson
This book is: for people who are thinking about becoming a Nanny
Other books by these authors: Dedication and Citizen girl
Favorite characters: Grayer, Nanny, Harvard Hot
Alison Looney
This book mirrors The Devil Wears Prada, offering a glimpse into the world of Upper East Side WASPs. Like DWP, we see this opulent lifestyle through a college aged woman who grudgingly agrees to work for the upper crust in hopes of improving her career outlook. But it turns out rich people are rude, inconsiderate, manipulative, and really, really bad parents.

I might have rated this book a little higher if the parents hadn't been so awful. Not once in the story did they seem more than dimly aware
K.D. Absolutely
Tata J recommended this book to me saying that he enjoyed this very much. This even came with two other books about nannies - WHITE HOUSE NANNIES and YOU'LL NEVER NANNY IN THIS TOWN AGAIN. So, after just reading the tearjerker in the love story of Van and Davy, I thought I needed to have something very light. Something that will make me laugh.

And laugh I did. In the first 10 pages of this book, I was laughing at the wee hours of a Sunday morning. The Interview part is really funny. I also like t
Ralph
Oct 03, 2009 Ralph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Nanny Diaries follows the tale of a woman named Nanny as she works for a family called the Xes. Nanny spends her time working for the Xes babysitting their son Grayer while attending NYU. Everything is going pretty well at the start, then the Xes become the family from hell.

Okay, I've had this book on my to-read shelf for a while and I finally got around to reading it. Well, it was very disappointing. The first thing I didn't like was the names. Her name is Nanny, the parents are Mr. X and M
Camie
Nov 02, 2007 Camie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I wanted to see the movie. I hate to see a movie that's based on a book if I haven't read the book.

The Nanny Diaires appeals to a wide audience, I think, for one reason: We've all had a dead-end job with a demanding boss we hate, frustrated because we're waiting for life to begin. And this is exactly what's happened with Nan. The authors show a glimpse into a richer-than-any-person-should-concievably-be New York household. The collision of the very different world
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2011 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Palate cleanser after reading about child soldiers though I think I may have overshot like when you take too many antibiotics and then you need a fecal transfusion to restore the balance.

While I should have been able to turn my brain off, I just couldn't. The main character is named "Nanny". I thought this was a pseudonym, but then people make puns about her name. And yet... no one ever says "oh hey, you're a nanny and your NAME is Nanny! ha ha!" I mean, either stick with all pseudonyms and pre
Krissys
Feb 28, 2016 Krissys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: featured-books, star
Wanted:
One young woman to take care of four-year-old boy. Must be cheerful, enthusiastic and selfless--bordering on masochistic. Must relish sixteen-hour shifts with a deliberately nap-deprived preschooler. Must love getting thrown up on, literally and figuratively, by everyone in his family. Must enjoy the delicious anticipation of ridiculously erratic pay. Mostly, must love being treated like fungus found growing out of employers Hermès bag. Those who take it personally need not apply.

Who woul
Wendy
Apr 02, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got really tired of this Mary Sue of a nanny. I've never met anyone so selfless and endlessly caring. Why are we supposed to feel sorry for/sympathize with someone whose problems are pretty much the result of her having No Backbone Whatsoever?

The writing is fluid and the book is definitely readable, but it wasn't as funny as I expected. Kind of struck me as COFFEE, TEA, OR ME? with nannies.
Kandice
Apr 13, 2016 Kandice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How sad that some people really live this way! I was glad they "happied" up the ending for the movie, but the book ended on such a sad note. Very easy to believe, but it hurts the heart to think of it.
DJ
Okay, so this one is teetering between 3.5 and 4 stars for me.

*looks at the white board, shakes head and erases number, picks up black marker*

DAYS SINCE SPOILERS IN A REVIEW: 0

Harvard Hottie

Oh, Harvard Hottie...you made me ruin the run: All because I fell in love with the movie and I had to read the book. Or I can blame my Chris Evans fangirling hitting a resurge moment lately. Either way, it's on him...

Okay, so the movie mirrors the book pretty well. As always, there are moments not covered by the movie tha
Cici
May 28, 2009 Cici rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Alienman
Oct 21, 2010 Alienman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Filipa
This was not what I expected. Nanny sometimes got under my skin due to the fact that she left her employer dictate her whole life and that really, really pissed me off. I also would've liked to see more romance, I mean... we know they got together but we don't really see the couple interacting with each other aside from the occasional phone call. And of course the end... disappointing, to say the least.
Rachel
Jan 14, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to think these stories were mostly works of fiction but, having worked on the UES, I have a feeling a lot of the anecdotes came from personal experience and that is scary. I do think Nanny was a bit self-centered in her relationship with H.H. I appreciated that this wasn't your typical Chick Lit in that not everything was wrapped up with a pretty bow.
Alicia Moore
Mar 24, 2016 Alicia Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Wonderful job giving our main character a humorous and sarcastic personality to balance out how badly you want to hate and loathe the elite society she deals with on a daily basis. This book certainly put me on a bit of an emotional roller coaster... one minute I was seething at a particular situation and the next I was laughing with(or at) the main character. The boy Nan is charged with caring for will definitely pull at your heart strings a time or two.
T
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Translator 7 19 Aug 27, 2015 12:37PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin 2 15 May 16, 2015 05:52PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin 4 21 Feb 12, 2015 09:14PM
It was decent 13 123 Jan 27, 2015 09:50AM
It was decent 1 21 Feb 26, 2008 01:50PM
It was decent 1 14 Feb 26, 2008 01:50PM
  • Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans
  • Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)
  • The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
  • The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder
  • Nervous System: Or, Losing My Mind in Literature
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Quattrocento
  • The Song of Names
  • The Starter Wife
  • Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)
  • Sacred Time
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Ivy Chronicles
  • You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny
  • Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell
  • Something Blue (Darcy & Rachel, #2)
  • Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
My partner, Nicki, and I have been writing together for 12 years. We're obsessed by what makes a satisfying story. I'm excited to hear from our readers what does it for them -- and what doesn't. As a working mom, the only book time I manage to steal these days is right before bed. I'm not the girl who can watch SVU and go to sleep with a smile. Ruling out kids/the economy/the world in peril as sub ...more
More about Emma McLaughlin...

Nanny (2 books)
  • Nanny Returns (Nanny, #2)

“if you'e going to do something, darling, then do it all the way.” 22 likes
“There are people in this home- human beings- drowning in their desire for you to look them in the eye. You made this family. And all you have to do is show up and like them. It's called 're-la-ting.' So get over whatever totally-absent-buying-your affection parenting that you received and get here, man- because this is your LIFE and you're just pissing it away!” 6 likes