Start by marking “The Twisted Thing” as Want to Read:
The Twisted Thing

The Twisted Thing (Mike Hammer #9)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This was some household.

The kid was a genius, the father a scientist of international repute. Money was problem. Not shortage of money but the opposite: too much. The sort of money that brings the envious and the scheming clustering like flies round a pile of ripe offal: nieces, nephews, cousins - a family of mean minds and gross appetites.

The hired help had its peculiar
Published June 1st 1966 by Signet (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Twisted Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twisted Thing

F.R.
So after finishing ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’, I thought I’d try a more modern tale of revenge – and where better to go for that than a Mike Hammer novel. Except, when I opened ‘The Twisted Thing’ (the eighth book in the series), far from Hammer vowing in the opening chapter that he was going to find the murderer and then gut him, Spillane seems to have strayed almost into Agatha Christie territory.

A hot-housed boy genius is kidnapped, and after Hammer investigates and finds him, the boy’s fath
Tfitoby
Not Spillane or Hammer at their best, verges on mediocre at times.

Read on the coach from Paris to London.

A Mike Hammer whodunnit that is a little too obvious in regards to who the villains are and quite misogynistic verging on the incredibly offensive at times towards lesbian women (not real women, more like half men!) that is only saved by Mike Hammer being a fun character with a background of great cases.

Whether this one suffered from being read so soon after finishing The Interlopers is de
Tim Williams
Mickey Spillane. Mike Hammer. You should have a good idea of what you are getting yourself into before you even start reading. If not, you are probably not going to enjoy the ride at all. But even if you do, it's a rocky ride at that, especially by today's ;sensibilities.' Lots of faces getting smashed. Plenty of bullet holes. And a lot of hot women just throwing themselves at Mike Hammer - wow! Not only do they but he takes them up on it and then moves on. With all the other action going on I a ...more
Jure
Kidnapping case that soon turns into a murder investigation that quickly becomes a incomprehensible mess that drags itself like a snail and finally reaches its climax with a pretty idiotic (but far from unexpected) twist.

More here (review includes spoilers!):
Lukas Persson
All done, this one was OKAY, not terrible, but the ending was a little weak.
Du
Great read. It was really fun and a great use of language. It had this cool 1940s feel to it, even though it was published in 1966. The dialog was snappy and direct, and had a loose flow to it. I saw the ending coming, but still enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the way we got to the ending. There was noting complicated about the plot, but it wasn't simple.
John Wilson
Probably one of the more sadistic Mike Hammer novels I've read. It's also an odd duck; set mostly in a small town in upstate New York. Hammer makes a brief side-trip to the Big Apple in one middle chapter and talks with his cop buddy Pat. But his secretary/love interest Velma neither makes an appearance or is even mentioned.
Babete
( O Reverso do Espelho )
Sandy Rudesill
Sandy Rudesill marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Macy-Morgan Drake
Macy-Morgan Drake marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Tom Ashworth
Tom Ashworth marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
delphia
delphia marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Katrien Keyser
Katrien Keyser marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • Secret Scribbled Notebooks
  • The Language Of Others
  • Nobody's Angel (Hard Case Crime, #65)
  • The Earthquake Bird
  • Silva Rerum II
  • The Essential Difference: Male And Female Brains And The Truth About Autism
  • The Wrong Man
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Krishnamurtis Notebook
  • Conan the Mercenary
  • The Orange Book: The Meditation Techniques Of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh
  • Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on the Bhagavad-Gita: A Translation and Commentary, Chapters 1-6
  • Her Last Call to Louis MacNeice
  • Tratado De Historia De Las Religiones
  • The Artful Universe Expanded
  • Come diventare un Buddha in cinque settimane
  • Andy Warhol
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...

Mike Hammer (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • I, the Jury
  • The Girl Hunters
  • The Snake
  • The Body Lovers
  • Survival Zero
I, the Jury The Mike Hammer Collection: Volume I Kiss Me, Deadly My Gun Is Quick Vengeance Is Mine