Start by marking “Temperance” as Want to Read:
Temperance

Temperance

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Do ideas of war and enemies hold a people together? Is a culture of conflict too seductive not to be irresistible? These are the questions Cathy Malkasian explores in her second graphic novel, Temperance.

Malkasian creates, as she did in the critically acclaimed Percy Gloom, a fully realized, multi-layered world, inhabited by vividly realized characters. After a brutal inj
Published June 16th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Temperance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temperance

Tim Lepczyk
Temperance by Cathy Malkasian is a quirky graphic novel that explores the relationship between the concepts of war and security, and freedom and trust. The narrator is a tree, which has been fashioned into a wooden leg, and then later into a doll/child. The narrator tells the story of Pa, who is this mythical concept that infects people's minds. The people, spurred by the lies of his foster daughter, live enclosed into a fortress they call BlessedBowl. It's a ship on a sea of fire, but really i ...more
Kirsten
What a weird and oddly beautiful book! This is one of those odd, absorbing books that leaves one a little confused. It feels somewhat allegorical, but perhaps it's more fable-like? There's a certain dream logic that leaves the reader grasping a bit, trying to determine what exactly has happened.

The basic plot is that a powerful tyrant known only as Pa convinces a large number of people that The Enemy is coming for them. In fear for their lives, several thousand people have sealed themselves into
Mza
Feb 15, 2011 Mza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mza by: Nobody
Shelves: 2010
There's a lot about this comix book that grosses me out. The way Malkasian draws human beings disgusts me. The way she overextends and mixes her metaphors makes me say, "Hmm hmm hmm hmm." There's something Canadian and New Age about all this. However, the book does achieve a psychosexual creepiness that's Lynchian in intensity, if you're into that sort of thing. Malkasian has perfect control of her pencil, and her drawings are v. easy on the eyes if you skip the humans and look only at buildings ...more
Ariel Metzmeier
This is a powerful book. This book has immensely powerful words an imagery. The meaning behind this book can be interpreted so many ways. The art is raw and beautiful, it's breathtaking really...
To me it's a story about the struggles between believing or not believing in the stories of the past that you're told. Whether you believe in something that is not actually tangible. Believing in a higher power or believing that someone is there to protect you and has control and that makes you feel safe
Mdm Yoi
Temperance has a very nice organic illustration. Simple yet hypnotizing. I'm amazed on how detail the diegesis is structured in Temperance. Malkasian has not just be specified in developing a very well structured organisms in her beautiful comic, concurrently the architecture of the whole story and its creation is made important to each other. The idea of 'illusion' as a tool for unity in Temperance might be cliché across our reading experiences, or films watching (I might say, in certain sense ...more
Allison
This is one of my favorite books this year. This is a profound graphic novel with multiple layers of meaning, interesting characters, and beautiful illustrations.

Temperance does examine issues related to war, and what a culture of conflict does to its people, but I feel that those statements reduce a powerful and complex story with strong characters to just a few themes. So, here is a little bit about some of the characters you will meet here: Minerva, an unattractive princess who climbs a tall
Fiza Nasri.
Pelik. Sangat-sangat pelik dan confusing sampai kadang-kadang aku rasa jalan ceritanya merepek dan meleret. Barangkali aku susah nak faham maksud tersirat tapi entahlah-- the story itself, memang dari awal dah mula dengan konflik yang tak masuk akal. Aku, mungkin termasuk dalam golongan sesetengah pembaca yang wonder macam mana buku ini boleh published.
Yusuf
This Graphic Novel by Cathy Malkasian is a surreal exploration of war, conflict, and freedom. The novel is beautifully illustrated, the final image of the book is one that is especially powerful (won't say what it is for spoilers.) However the book hits some problems midway through. The flow becomes extremely difficult to follow, and though this may have been done on purpose by the author, it also detracted from my ability to understand anything. I was lost between what was real, and what was no ...more
Caleb
While I understand many of the criticisms others have posted, Temperance takes on a mythic tone from the beginning. Though Malkasian frames the story as a confluence of characters, place, and machinations, it becomes clearly a poetic yarn, a tale not of persons but of people. She describes, both visually and narratively, archetypes to which we yearn and from which we cower. Once I began reading I did not have any interest in putting the story down. He artwork varies from fluid and enchanting to ...more
Aurora Marina
That was so good. The illustration, the story, everything. I still don't get the ending, but I'll keep rereading it till I do.
Kate Moore
Jun 14, 2012 Kate Moore rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of strange art, philosophers
I just finished Temperance, about five minutes ago, and I'm not totally sure what to say. It was certainly a beautiful book--drawn in a quirky, charming style--and for parts of the story I was utterly drawn in. Other parts, though, felt rushed, as though the artwork rather than the writing had been the only priority. The ending threw me off, as I didn't see it coming for at least a few dozen more pages. I guess I wish it had gone on a bit longer, and we had learned more about the resolution. How ...more
Alger
The description of the book sounds much better than the execution.

This is a so-so story with epic amounts of filler drawing that does almost nothing to move the plot forward. The characters are flat as written, and in their actual drawing (caricatures instead of portraits). In fact, I found myself put off by the drawings in many ways, especially where several of the panels key to the plot are confused and very badly composed.
On the whole this book strikes me as an example of overreach, an idea
Allie
It started out intriguing, with the two girls hiding in the woods from a scary man who claims to be their father, then a whole group of people being walled into a stone ship. However, as it got further and further from a reality that started the book, it was hard to stay with it. I guess there was some sort of life metaphor with the ghostly girl and the "father" who was everywhere, destroying everything? I didn't really get it. The art was very nice, though. And I did like the idea of a town ins ...more
Tom
Malkasian has an energetic line and a sense of design that pulls your eye along the story. It is easy to read this book, like Percy Gloom, as an animation storyboard. In these technical regards, I think Malkasian does superlative work. Temperance, however, doesn't cohere for me as well as Percy Gloom did. Temperance is a more ambitious narrative than Percy Gloom, but it didn't hold up as well for me as the earlier book. And I feel churlish for being disappointed by a book that tried to outdo its ...more
Zehra B
great art, meh story line
Farahin Nadh
berselirat neuron nak tafsir analogi dan metafora yang sampai muka terakhir masih tak faham.peace!
Christopher
Disquieting and at times beautiful, it's hard to nail this down. It's about destruction and rebirth, and how lies can destroy or instill hope, how one can dominate and control out of love or hate. It's about revenge and redemption.

Pa is a terrifying and incredible character who is going to lure me back for a couple re-readings.
Whatsupchuck
Very enjoyable. The soft pencil-like art was a refreshing change from the many bold/stark blacks in many comics/graphic novels. The characters were compelling and the story was good. It did get a little crazy at the end and I couldn't figure out exactly what was happening, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Robin
I somewhat understand why this is getting good press, but it was _not_ a work I enjoyed. The artwork was fairly repetitive, and I couldn't bring myself to care about the plot or any of the characters. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Fantagraphics published this.
Jeffrey Wood
Temperance begins and ends strong and creates a mythos that spans the human experience with zen-like quality. Images from this novel will burn your memory for some time. I cannot recommend this work enough for students who possess a strange temperament.
sweet pea
while i enjoyed Temperance, i wasn't quite as entranced by it as i was by Percy Gloom, despite it's wider scope. what i enjoy most about Malkasian is her ability to transport you to her created world, no matter how odd it may seem.
Maria
While I got lost in the middle of the story, I could see some interesting themes at the beginning. I enjoyed the beginning, but I feel like I will need to reread it and reflect more to better understand the end.
Alison
Really interesting little fable about community and what holds it together. Metaphorical, whimsical, stylistic, and generally well-made. Almost a children's story (the way any mythology is almost for children).
Beth
I thought this book was thought provoking. When I thought I figured out what the plot was about, I changed my mind. I read this book as the antagonist as a pedofile. I can also see the war versus security thoughts.
Frank
Like her award winning Percy Gloom, this one has haunting pictures and an "absurdist" plot, but unlike the other book, this one never engaged me. Maybe a one star rating is a little harsh, but yeah, "I didn't like it."
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Feb 21, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://www.npr.org/2010/12/17/131905654/otherworldly----the-year-s-most-transporting-books (by Glen Weldon, via Laura Anne Gilman)
Shelves: comics
"Because the character is crazy and [usually] he can" are no longer enough to keep me reading books where there is lots of cruelty and violence. I know that not every book can be sunshine and rainbows but ... meh.
Mjhancock
Beautifully drawn, with an engaging plot. I'm not going to pretend to understand the full extent of the symbolism at work here, but it's a thoughtful allegory of the pursuits of war and peace.
Sonic
Very strange and original fable.
Masterfully rendered,...
this is one to ponder.
The obvious issues of violence and control
(war and propaganda)
make this a very poignant tale indeed!
Katie
The illustration is beautiful (though a bit macabre) and very detailed. The story of the cult inside Blessedbowl is really strange, but I found it compelling enough to finish the book.
Karla
Fantastical illustrated tale of blind faith in an abusive, charismatic leader. Would one rather live as a hero in a fabricated world, or face the bleak reality of one's own powerlessness?
  • BodyWorld
  • Life With Mr. Dangerous
  • Cat Burglar Black
  • What I Did.
  • Fagin the Jew
  • Billy Hazelnuts (Billy Hazelnuts, #1)
  • Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey
  • The Crackle of the Frost
  • Artichoke Tales
  • Wizzywig: Portrait of a Serial Hacker
  • Macedonia
  • Beta Testing the Apocalypse
  • Jinchalo
  • Swallow Me Whole
Cathy Malkasian's alternative comics career began at age four, with the covert distribution of sketches to an unreceptive neighbor (“Keep your brat’s pamphlets off my porch!”). Hot on the heels of this and various kindergarten triumphs, she became overbearingly enthused, teaching herself to sketch and paint, pursuing music lessons, play auditions and somehow ending up with a degree in musicology. ...more
More about Cathy Malkasian...
Percy Gloom Wake Up, Percy Gloom! The Best American Comics 2008 Going to the Dog: Therapy Stories for Grown-Ups, with Dr. Whiskers