Start by marking “Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)

Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,929 Ratings  ·  263 Reviews

Kiram Kir-Zaki may be considered a mechanist prodigy among his own people, but when he becomes the first Haldiim ever admitted to the prestigious Sagrada Academy, he is thrown into a world where power, superstition and swordplay outweigh even the most scholarly of achievements.

But when the intimidation from his Cadeleonian classmates turns bloody, Kiram unexpectedly finds

Published August 15th 2010 by Blind Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the White Hell, Book 1, please sign up.

Jonét Harry I don't know how to gauge level of romance. All I can say is there are reasons why the two can't be together, so a lot of the romance is brief hand…moreI don't know how to gauge level of romance. All I can say is there are reasons why the two can't be together, so a lot of the romance is brief hand holding and stolen glances, etc, for the most part. Somewhat explicit, no sex scene, but certain characters' dialogue can be quite vulgar and crude at times. Some lines had me laughing, while some were so out there and unexpected, I had to stop reading for a moment due to shock.(less)

Sala Bim
1.5 stars. This one started out great for me and I enjoyed it UNTIL the scene in the brothel. POSSIBLE SPOILER: I keep seeing this happening in so many gay romance stories (and I always hate it) where a character has sex with a woman just to prove something, but this one was so disgusting to me, doing it in front of your partner and then being like "What did I do wrong? Why are you mad?... You'll beg me before I come back to you". I was so turned off by all this that the enjoyment I had had thus ...more
Vivian
Mar 24, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
In thrall again.

Oh man, this is good, and fun, and got enough sanctioned violence to be so satisfying. Between the friendships, the curse, the power struggles, and the societal boundaries being trampled this has enough going on to keep interest. Basically, I highlighted stuff while reading, but couldn't be bothered to come here and update--no time. Later, chickadillas.

"He’ll make a better impression without a hell-branded duke flustering his little flock of hens.”

Overall, a high fantasy page t
Josh
Jul 02, 2010 Josh rated it it was amazing
I particularly like the blend of mystery, romance, and fantasy here. I think Hale does some of the best world building I've come across -- in this case a combination of Middle Eastern and Castilian -- and so much of it lies in the small details. And yet for all the complex world-building, the focus of the story remains intimate and vividly personal (which is sometimes a complaint of mine in fantasy -- too often the story goes so big scale it's off the page). Really well done. I finished it and w ...more
Apr 11, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautifully written, Ginn Hales’ novel Lord of the White Hell was difficult to put down. There was almost a bitter sweetness in finishing that last page and knowing I’m going to have to be less of an impatient pants, that I normally am, in the wait for the next book.

The scene is deftly set by the author. The world building around this renaissance fantasy is rich with crisp, clear detailing. As a new student at the Sagrada Academy, Kiram initially struggles to find his way through the upper crust
Katie(babs)
There aren't many books I consider to be epic masterpieces. When an author writes a book that will be labeled as such, and knowing that have achieved a deep emotional response from a reader, that is where they deserve a major pat on the back. This is where a reader will finish reading the last page and finally release a deep breath they have been holding inside because they have been on the edge of their seat the entire time. And, they will most likely go back and re-read it all over again.

An a
Em
From the first page I was totally absorbed with this book and couldn't put it down. I really could have done with another few hundred pages or so as I didn't want it to end and had to slow down to delay the inevitable.

I loved the developing, intense relationship between Kiram and Javier and also thought there was a good balance between the characters and the world building, which was new and exciting.

Well done Ginn Hale and thanks for such a great read !!!

Gene
Sep 04, 2010 Gene rated it really liked it
My quest to find quality gay fantasy novels leads me to suffer through a lot of small-publisher dreck, rife with awkward, overwritten prose, cliched characters, terrible covers, amateurish typesetting, and many, many typos. While Lord of the White Hell has terrible cover art and its share of typos, it's actually quite well-written, with a strong novelistic voice, complicated, interesting characterizations, and a strong sense of setting and sensual detail.
The book follows the basic trope of the
SueM
Aug 27, 2011 SueM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, romance, magic, curse
Perhaps a little slow to start but a very good to excellent fantasy-M/M romance novel. The plot and characters are slowly uncovered piece by piece, keeping the reader enthralled while simultaneously creating a story thick with tension. So many bits of knowledge discovered ended up being something entirely different from what one first thought, creating conspiracy on conspiracies. A truly intriguing story - but with one problem I really should mention - it ends almost in a cliffhanger, as the rea ...more
Kassa
Apr 24, 2010 Kassa rated it it was amazing
Book one of Ginn Hale’s new fantasy novel is a classic epic fantasy story. Here the thick, intricate world building is infused in every page, every detail of the story so that the writing and pace can sometimes be dense, but fantasy fans will be thrilled with the total immersion in a fabulous, exciting, and innovative new world. The characters and story come to life with an interesting and pretty complicated plot filled with intrigue, drama, mystery, and a touch of hopeful romance. This is the t ...more
Mel
Sep 14, 2015 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sff
Review for book #1 and #2

If you like fantasy and romance, this is your book. I think it is my (new) favourite combination. Reading this was a bliss, heaven-like, being in my happy place, all the goodness.

This is me and these books:

Both parts—romance and fantasy—are equally great and satisfying, and I think that's pretty amazing and satisfying.

Let's start with the romance:

So, together these books are 700 pages, more or less, and this really is enough time for everything a romance should have to o
Sheziss
Thank you, Secret Santa!!! *happy dance*
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I loved it, really. I must confess I wasn’t sure I would like it. The school theme seemed too Harry-Potterish and lately I prefer older protagonists, but this love story was just… lovely! How many times have I said that?

The story is based upon characters with different backgrounds falling in love in a world that frowns upon their relationship. Well, it’s a world that frowns upon everything, really. So, Kiram is the first student of the Haldiim to be admitted into the prestigious Sagrada Academy,
Kaje Harper
Jun 17, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m, ya, fantasy
This is a beautifully crafted fantasy. Books 1 and 2 are really the two halves of one story - you can't read just one. The world-building is seamless, the action is riveting and unpredictable, and the romance develops slowly with appropriate ups and downs that fit the young characters and the forces arrayed against them. This is appropriate for older YA too - there is one episode of more explicit sex in the second book but it was not erotic, and most of the sex is off-page or lightly described. ...more
Star
One of those books I wish I could read again for the first time.
Dreamer
Really enjoyed this m/m epic fantasy adventure. Kirim, a Haldiim, suffers from racial prejudice when he first comes to the Sagrada Academy. He comes under the protection of the dashing Javier, Lord of the White Hell and his companions, the Hellions. Kirim and Javier are attracted to each other despite the impossibility of a gay relationship in Cadeleonia.
description
'Nestor shot Kiram a puzzled look as if he was reassessing Kiram's intelligence. "He's terribly fond of you. Haven't you noticed?"
Carol
Aug 24, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-romance
This is a review for both parts, I think they can only be rated together. Pretty good fantasy and a very nice romance. I constantly felt reminded of Hermann Hesse's Beneath the Wheel/Demian and some early shounen ai, mainly because of the setting of a fancy boys' boarding school and its interesting dynamics (especially for a gay romance).

Kiram and Javier are great characters, and the side characters were pretty well-developed, too. I loved the first part a little bit more than the second. The

Borderstar
What the hell just happened? After such a great read, that was a terrible ending to Part 1 - sickening and disappointing! I know I had all sorts of lovely gushing praise formed in my mind ready for the review, until about 5 minutes from the end, but for the life of me, I can't remember any of it now...as I just kind of numbly watched the ending scenes, knowing what was going to happen but hoping I was going to be wrong... and I still feel kind of shocked the author chose to go this way when the ...more
Therese
Jan 11, 2016 Therese added it
Shelves: mm-romance, fantasy
*4.5*

This one grabbed me straight from the beginning. I loved the world-building, the characters, the build-up of the mysteries surrounding it all. For anyone who likes fantasy, this is really great. Sometimes, I enjoyed the story more than the building romance, which is good I guess (considering the low steam).
Maybe I would have wished for more of Kiram’s machinery genius to be on page, but I guess this story is mainly Javier’s in a way.

It was not perfect, and I had a bit of an “Eh?”-moment to
Wency
Oct 04, 2013 Wency rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Probably my 3rd or 4th reread!

I've read this last year just before the first semester started and I really loved the book and I've read the book again for the 3rd or 4th time (I lost track)just as the second semester is nearing to end.

This will always be one of my best MM Young Adult read. EVER. The world and the characters the author created is just purely awesome. I loved every word of this book.

The writing is great. Witty and Funny. I really laughed hard reading this to the point where eve
Karen Wellsbury
Sep 26, 2015 Karen Wellsbury rated it it was amazing
I was so disappointed that the last pages were the cast of characters and an except from book 2, that combined with the ending I cried a bit

For once, all the love was right,

Straight into Book 2 no messing
Miriam
Jul 23, 2012 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, school
Think A Stranger to Command, but with mystery, violence, and gay sex.
Katerina
Nov 04, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
That was great. Riding competitions, sword fighting, fraternizations and a country where love between men is punishable.
In addition evil curses and the White Hell. An uncle and his friend, who are very worried.
And we have not yet come a step closer to the mystery of the White Hell ...

Arousal, repulsion, and jealous anger crashed through Kiram. He didn’t want to see this. He didn’t care if this was what it took to be a Hellion—to impress Master Ignacio or Prince Sevanyo or to convince all these C
Jen
I have to say, I quite enjoyed this.

My one criticism is that it's overly drawn out and too detail-heavy in a lot of places, so it can be a bit slow at times, but the plot/conflicts, the characters, and the world-building were all great.

Like her book Wicked Gentlemen , there is not really much by way of hot physical action, but it's not really a YA, either, despite the ages of the MCs.

I'm also not sure I can see a great solution to the problems of a relationship forming between the two MCs, bu
Kathleen
Sep 12, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: Fehu
Shelves: paranormal, first-time, au
This book has a wonderfully built world, rich with detail. Javier and Kiram are beautifully wounded and are perfect for each other. However, this was not Book 1. It is like the first half of a book. The end did not resolve anything and left off on a huge cliffhanger (not that I have a problem with that as I have purchased Book 2 and plan to read it very soon). Although, I had one major issue. (view spoiler) ...more
Liz
Feb 14, 2015 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mm-romance
Vividly written with excellent world building and distinctive characters, I'm really sorry to say this book bored me to tears. I just kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. Not even the developing romance held my attention and the strong YA flavor did not help. The book ends quite abruptly on a tense, adversarial note but it won't be enough for me to continue.
Paul
Dec 02, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I loved this book
Arch Bala
Wow! Just wow! And I thought after reading the "Wicked Gentleman," Ginn Hale will have a hard time surpassing the greatness within the confines of Hells Below and beyond. Boy. Was. I. Wrong.

Lord Of The White Hell is a totally different universe of its own. It has magic, royalties, witchcraft, tribes, gods and so on and so on. Just imagine the vibe of Captive Prince [S U Pacat], the magical appeal of Hogwarts, put a pinch of Hugo and mix it with a tiny bit of the Hunger Games and you'd get the st
Calathea
Mar 12, 2011 Calathea rated it it was amazing
4.5*

I don't know why I waited so long, I'm so glad I read this book! :))
It's all there: interesting, detailed world with its own nations and history, gripping story, lovable characters, a bad guy behind the scenes, fabulous writing and storytelling, just everything I want in a fantasy novel.

Why "only" 4.5 stars? IMHO the cut off of part one came in strange place. Gladly, I've already purchased part two and can read on. :)
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

This was Part I of a fantasy tale à la Harry Potter with an m/m romance twist. It was delightful. I enjoyed the world building and the characters. Both Kiram and Javier are flawed and loveable. They're perfect for each other. Book 1 doesn't end so much on a cliff hanger but a dramatic pause. I'd be prepared to quickly dive into book 2.

Bottom line: I'm enjoying it!
Colette
Mar 18, 2013 Colette rated it it was amazing
I have had this book on my kindle for about a year, I am so sorry I waited so long to read both this and book 2. Ms. Hale is one of those writers who can create a world so rich and alive, that pulls you in so completely that you forget you are reading a book and are surprised when you realize you are not at the Academy or walking through the markets of Anacleto.

Highly recommended
Buddy read with Tully (Echo) starts Nov. 17, 2014 24 15 Nov 25, 2014 09:25AM
Where To Start? 5 62 Feb 10, 2013 02:02PM
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Strange Fortune
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • The God Eaters
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Irregulars
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • The Cat in the Cradle (Loka Legends, #1)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)

Lord of the White Hell (2 books)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)

“To fear what you do not understand is to mistake ignorance for safety.” 21 likes
“More sheltering is rarely an antidote for too much in the first place.” 8 likes