Start by marking “Living Words” as Want to Read:
Living Words

Living Words

Macati swore off apprentices after his less than pleasant experiences with the first three. He's still feeling the sting of Tlory, his last apprentice gone awry, but then an old friend shows up on his doorstep with a shy, brilliant, and horribly awkward student in tow, and he can't say no.

Guylian seems to fit nowhere. The life he loved is forever gone, he is desperate to a
Published October 11th 2009 by Less Than Three Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Living Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Words

Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneCounterpoint by Rachel HaimowitzBloodraven by P.L. NunnHis Hearth by Mary CalmesLuck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling
Best Gay Elves, Gods, Deity & Wizards
76th out of 327 books — 338 voters
More by Sloan Parker911 by Chris OwenDark Horse by Kate SherwoodOut of the Darkness by Kate SherwoodThe Strongest Shape by Tessa Cárdenas
Best Gay Polyamorous Romance
208th out of 368 books — 651 voters

More lists with this book...

blub
Jan 01, 2015 blub rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm-fantasy, mm-menage, mm
(view spoiler) ...more
Tenny
Oct 05, 2016 Tenny rated it it was amazing
This is just the sweetest story ever. I wanted to hug all the characters and the magic described in the story was so lovely and interesting, especially the pixies.
I was happy to read a polyamory story which wasn't a sex fest- the romance is sweet and there are only kisses, no sex scenes. This book is like a balm to the heart and I thouroghly enjoyed reading it.
KV Taylor
Aug 02, 2012 KV Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbtq
I really, really lucked out when I won lovely book during the Hop against Homophobia this year. After the first two chapters I was already sure Sasha Miller was going on the insta-buy list.

The characters are utterly charming right from the beginning with their extreme dorkiness--even Macati, who's meant to be the more at-ease one, is so nerd-mage cute I just wanted to squish him. Super-awkward Guylian and his Kysera were one of my favorite things ever--the pixies in general are a magical highlig
Elisa Rolle
A sweet fantasy romance, to a level that it could have been a young adult story, it tells the adventures of Guylian, a boy who is apprenticing with Macati, a young mage. Guylian is already 20 years old, but he looks and behaves like a younger man, whereelse Macati has still the joyfulness of being young, even if he is an experienced mage.

This is a full 100% fantasy tale, set in a like-medieval setting, but all in all, it’s a simple environment, so simple that let the reader concentrate on the ch
Julesmarie
Nov 25, 2012 Julesmarie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, menage
This was a cute story. It would have been even better if it were maybe 1/3 as long, and left out some of the day-to-day duties of being a mage. I got so bored in the middle bits that if it weren't a lazy Saturday with nothing better to do, I might very well have given up.

Also, unlike some reviewers, I did see the 3-way ending coming, but only from the one time that Macati caught himself looking at Tlory and thinking he was pretty. That was pretty much it as far as the development of that relatio
Eli
Apr 20, 2016 Eli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, spec, queer, 2016
There's a fair bit to like about this book. The linguistics geek in me thrilled to the way the magic seemed to hinge so much on the very structure of the Civomic language. There were tantalizing glimpses of how magic works in this world, enough to be interesting without ever feeling like I was being subjected to boring info dumps. The pixies are pretty adorable, and the bit where (view spoiler) had me chuckling for several minu ...more
H.V. Corbin
The emotional-drives of everyone felt tangible and compelling throughout the entire novel. Guylain is heart-achingly sweet, Tlory is a bad-boy with a heart of gold, and Macati is the firm but fun teacher. All of their attitudes and outlooks clash at first, but wind up complimenting each other by the end of the novel. The book is sweet and light, similar to many classic romance novels - I love it to pieces.

As a side note, I'd like to say that although tags may suggest that this book is an erotica
Emmie
Lorraine
Mar 26, 2016 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was wonderful world building and I got drawn in really easily by the descriptions of Macati taking his new apprentice round the little village, introducing him to people and wondering how a young man such as Guylain had ended up with his friend Justain as an apprentice. The plot and backstory for the MCs was well done and fitted with what we learnt about each and the descriptions of the various facial expressions. A really enjoyable book and well worth the 5 stars
miss_chams
Dec 31, 2011 miss_chams rated it liked it
this book started out promisingly enough, though it kind of petered out towards the end. though maybe that's my fault, i guess i just thought the story would go in another direction but instead it sort of ended conveniently.

anyway it's a fun read, but don't expect anything overly complex.
Blackrei
May 20, 2015 Blackrei rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, sci-fi-fantasy, magic, 3
Saskie-
Nov 30, 2015 Saskie- rated it liked it
Gyvareva
3.5
The general story, worldbuilding and magic were nice, but I found the relationship development to be lacking something ; in the end, I actually didn't care if the characters ended up together (thankfully there was a subplot).
Otherwise well written and a nice read to pass time.
Enny
Oct 26, 2010 Enny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ayanna
Jun 05, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, meh
O_o Miller really likes her menages...

Eh. I guess it wasn't bad. It was really idealized, though, and that's what bothers me the most about Miller's works.
Whitney
Jul 08, 2016 Whitney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Started out well but the ending was meh. (view spoiler)
Antonella
Nov 07, 2012 Antonella rated it really liked it
3.5

The situation at the end is not prepared in the precedent pages and gets there readers out of the blue IMO.
Fehu
That one was a fun read. I loved the pixies, truly you have to like a creature who constantly steals Guy's hairbands and use them as clothes.
Remus Grrrl
Remus Grrrl rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Naska Atanasova
Naska Atanasova rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Sala Bim
Sala Bim rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2013
Lost4now
Lost4now rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2011
Ingwalde
Ingwalde rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Chie
Chie rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2012
Dcf260
Dcf260 rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Kasha
Kasha rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Nekkas
Nekkas rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Katie Williamson
Katie Williamson rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: Help, please? 3 16 Aug 17, 2015 07:10PM
  • Finder Tolan
  • That Famous Happy End
Sasha L. Miller spends most of her time writing, reading, or playing with all things website design. She loves telling stories, especially romance, because there’s nothing better than giving people their happily ever afters. When not writing, she spends time cooking, harassing her roommates, and playing with her cats.
More about Sasha L. Miller...