Start by marking “Dead Mech (Apex Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Mech (Apex Trilogy, #1)

Dead Mech (Apex Trilogy #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  32 reviews
After the zombie apocalypse decimates the world, human civilization tries to put itself back together again. Their secret weapon: the Mechs. But what happens when a mech pilot dies in his mech and becomes a zombie? Hell on earth is unleashed...
Podcast
Published September 26th 2009 by Jake Bible (first published February 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Mech, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Mech

The Bone Gatherer by Jennifer AdeleTagged by Joseph M. ChironApocalyptic Empire by Chris   BlakeInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Required Undead Reading
217th out of 224 books — 217 voters
The Diaries of Pontius Pilate by Joseph Max LewisAmerican Assassin by Vince FlynnTripwire by Lee ChildDamascus Countdown by Joel C. RosenbergThe Tehran Initiative by Joel C. Rosenberg
Most Addictive Books/Authors
127th out of 171 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Larry Kenney
Nov 12, 2012 Larry Kenney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Over the top action movie fans
ok, this book is a guilty pleasure. It's not an amazing book, but I loved it and devoured it. It covers all kinds of genres, including post-apocalypse, zombies, mecha, military sci-fi, dystopian societies, and even some cyberpunk influence. And, of course, the most unique aspect, zombies driving mecha.

If you are the type of person who loves a cheesy B grade action/sci-fi movie, then this book is the literary equal. It's not among the best, but its fast and fun and completely enjoyable as long as
Sue Baiman
There are a few things to keep in mind when reading this review. First of all, I usually hate zombie stories. I just don't get them. The whole coming back to life to eat the living thing is patently stupid (imho). Not to mention scientifically preposterous. Secondly, I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic stories. They are just too damn depressing and dreary for my tastes. And, Finally, I have a low tolerance for blood, guts, gore, and violence--the ick factor. Well, I used to anyway...

I both lis
David Dalton
Plenty of zombie & mech action in this one. Overall I would say 3.5 stars. A tad confusing because the story switches between characters points of view so rapidly. You'll be zipping along reading about one set of characters over here and the next paragraph the story switches to over there and another set of characters. But, I got used to it. Love several of the characters, probably Harlow (she is one tough character & very handy with swords) the best of the bunch. I'll check into the oth ...more
Chris
I liked the story. I liked the Mechs and the Zombies. The language was a bit much for me. In the Afterword/Q&A, the author makes no apologies for, and even defends, his overuse of cursing. I think it would've still been a good story had the author made an attempt to tone it down a little. Just my $0.02. Thanks for the story, Jake.
Heather Faville
The greatest danger in modern technology isn't that machines will begin to think like people, but that people will begin to think like machines. ~author unknown

Hell on earth is unleashed...

Prepare for a high action
Lisa
OK, Mr. Bible. Pretend I'm slow-clapping for you right now, because you completely changed my mind. Once the story picked up, I was able to almost completely overlook the "drabble" nonsense (god, I hope that doesn't catch on and become a real thing).

The world Bible presents in Dead Mech was very interesting. The characters had defining characteristics (which I'm assuming was tough to do in this drabble format), and the plot was really interesting. It was good enough to make me finish the trilog
John Uhri
I love Mechs and Zombies, so this book was right up my alley. What I didn't care for was the Drabble style it was written in. The style breaks everything into 100-word sections. While it keeps the story moving, it also doesn't leave words for descriptive narrative. I think the story had many places where I was left wanting in that regard, for example, how the mechs are piloted.

The second problem I had was the language. I don't have an issue with profanity per se, but there was just too much of
John
I wasn't sure I'd like it. I bought it, but had reservations. Mostly because I'm growing bored of the zombie thing, but when I saw it was zombies and mechs, I was curious.

Curiosity rewarded! Great book, well worth the read, might even fall into the read again later category, it was that engaging.

Even if you're (Like me) kinda over zombies, go get this awesome book.
Veronica
I will admit that I was a little hesitant to read this series. I enjoyed the hell out of the Z-Burbia series so I don't know why I was so reluctant to pick another of his series up but I am glad I did. This was a different take on Zombies. A look at what things could be like in the future after all hell has broken loose. I am very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
Al

Hundreds of years after the zombie apocalypse decimates the world, human civilization has put itself back together again. Their secret weapon against the zombie hordes: the Mechs. Massive robotic battle machines. But what happens when a mech pilot dies in his mech and becomes a zombie? Hell on earth is unleashed... Prepare for a high action, fast paced, hell ride through a futuristic wasteland as Mech Base Commander James Capreze and his crew of mech pilots battle zombies, cannibals, religious

Louise
I liked the effort involved in this book - the author's discipline in constructing the plot entirely from a series of drabbles. However, I think in the final analysis the choppy structure detracted from the narrative flow of the book. In my version at least it also suffered from poor editing, but the author assures me that he's about to undertake a re-edit and re-issue of the manuscript, which will improve it no end.

Full review at my blog, but in summary, this book is fast-paced and full of shoo
Adam
There were several negatives for me... the drabble style of writing was a big one but I could deal with it. But the gymnastics the author had to go through to justify a mech pilot becoming a zombie were just too much for me to handle. What, it's too much to put in a heart monitor? Or require that a code be input once every hour? No... that's too hard even though they can do direct neural input. I enjoy zombie books (Ex-Heroes, World War Z) and I enjoy Mech books (Mechwarrior first and foremost) ...more
Tobias Queen
I first "read" this in audio format, and folks, I just gotta say...Wow!

Action Movie, Horror Story, Sci-Fi Thriller, Post Apocalyptic Tale of Zombies & Super Science gone awry.

But all of that is really just the backdrop, the setting, against which the story is told. It's all about the characters here. Just trust me on this one. If you ever enjoyed any of the aforementioned genres then you're going to enjoy Dead Mech.

So, take a leap of faith and dive in.

BUY THIS BOOK!
Ryan Burt
The zombie craze has taken over the world. Well this book has a new twist on the craze that made it great. Imagine Pacific Rim with zombies. The world was decimated but zombies but the humans have survived. Not only survived but are fighting back. Fighting back with 50 ton Mechs.

What do you do when the human pilot driver dies and becomes a zombie?
Aaron
Written in a style that I am not familiar with but loved immediately. This is a unique take on zombies and incorporates the mech technology from the video games of my childhood. Complex, geeky, strong, fast-paced. There were a few obvious typos but not enough to detract from the story. I loved it. I only wish I could give it another half-star because I liked it more than four.

I placed a more in-depth opinion on my blog at http://blackinkfiction.blogspot.com/.
Donovan Smith
Great book. A bit graphic in some places but an overall good read. I like the quick snippet writing style. Perfect for short attention spans or whipping out the phone to read a couple of quick sections while waiting for the bus.
Brian Rubin
This is a fun read that gets a bit too chaotic in parts due to the nature of how it's written, but overall I enjoyed it and will continue the series once I clear my backlog a bit.
Beth Copenhaver
I'm a fan of zombie stories and this one had several unique twists. The drabble format didn't bother me, in fact as I got into the story I didn't notice it at all.
Compelling characters, lots of action, and yes - there's swearing.
I jumped right into book 2, "The Americans" and finished that in 2 days. I'll be finished with the trilogy in a week. And then... I hope Jake gives us more stories.
Mason
Suspenseful, psychotic, and artistically profane. Got this as a freebie off Amazon, and right after finishing it bought the other two books in the series and picked up right away. The Apex Triology is probably one of the best Science Fiction series I've read in a while, very much recommend picking up the first one and starting.
Belladonna420
This was my first Jake Bible novel and I really enjoyed it. I listened to the podcast 1st and hearing it in Drabble format took a little getting used to, but you can't tell the difference in print. I look forward to the rest of this trilogy.
Randolph Watts
Pretty good

I enjoyed the book because it had a little bit of everything a sci-fi should have. The only thing I would like to know is more of the back story to find out what ultimately lead to this future
Ashley
I grew bored with this book after the second or third episode. I have put it down for good I think. It is touted as a bramble novel so I assume that it is in 100 word chunks, but I think this is more of a distraction than a plus.
Ash Morrigan
Deliciously vile. I don't normally enjoy zombie novels, but Dead Mech is so disgusting and screwed up that it transcends its genre and becomes the same sort of mesmerizing glorification of filth that the True Blood tv show excels at.
DDog
I feared I might have to tap out from ick when I started this book, but I managed to stick through to the end and I'm glad I did. The "drabble" format gives it a uniquely punchy style that meshes well with the zombie mech plot.
lluke
Probably the most violent book I've read, pretty off putting, no more zombie books for a while for me. The writing in blocks helped drive the urgency, kind of addictive.
Bill
Amazing writing skills and a very enthralling story. I know have the hard copy as well and love it. Jake Bible enthralls and makes you glad you don't live in that kind of world.
Lisa
This was a great book! The Drabble style takes getting used to at first but that happened quickly. Have books 2 & 3 to read on my next semester break.
Richno3
Picked this book up as it was recomended by a friend (exotikali) and I have enjoyed this book to no end. Thanks Jake Bible for a real cool Zombie read....
Mat Dolton
Great book and love the concept. Can't wait for the next in the series
Glinda Harrison
Waiting for the Kindle version of this book....
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • Title Fight
  • Dead Days: Episode 1 (A Zombie Apocalypse Serial)
  • Year One
  • Crescent
  • Underwood and Flinch
  • Death Springs Eternal (The Rift #3)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Dead Hunger: The Flex Sheridan Chronicle
  • 7th Son: Book Two - Deceit
  • Skin Medicine
  • Year of the Dead
  • Dead Beat
  • What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest
  • Darlings of Decay
Jake Bible lives in Asheville, NC with his wife and two kids.

A professional writer since 2009, Jake Bible has a proven record of innovation, invention and creativity. Novelist, short story writer, independent screenwriter, podcaster, and inventor of the Drabble Novel, Jake is able to switch between or mash-up genres with ease to create new and exciting storyscapes that have captivated and built an
More about Jake Bible...
Z-Burbia: A Zombie Novel Z-Burbia 2: Parkway To Hell Z-Burbia 3: Estate Of The Dead The Americans (Apex Trilogy, #2) Mega: A Deep Sea Thriller