Start by marking “Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool” as Want to Read:
Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool

Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The Bell family's ancestors were showered with honors, gifts and grants of land. In exchange, they have bestowed a Gift, once every 25 years, on the town. The Gifts have ranged from a statue to a bell tower with stained-glass windows, but now it's Darius's father's turn - and there is no money for an impressive gift. It looks as though a wheelbarrow full of vegetables is t ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool

Lisa
Jul 05, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because it's shortlisted for the Australian CBCA Book of the Year 2010 - and it's terrific!
It takes a little while to get going, and the setting on a British estate seems a bit remote from Australian kids' lives, but it follows the classic adventure format in a most interesting way. Darius is a beaut kid with some dorky friends and an annoying older brother; his father is a daydreamer and his mother is a lovable optimist and neither of them have any idea how to solve a very pressing
Cam_is_awesome
Alright book
Robin
Darius Bell is from an unusual family. One of his ancestors so distinguished himself that he was awarded a grant of land from the town, with only the stipulation that a gift be given to the town every 25 years. Previous gifts have included statues, fountains, a bell and stained glass windows. It's time for the gift, but the current Bell family has no money. What is to be done? Darius' father is hopelessly optimistic that Cousin Julius will come through for them, while his older brother Cyrus is ...more
bella27
Jun 16, 2011 bella27 rated it liked it
Dario’s Bell and the glitter pool

If you are a person who likes to read books about adventure Dario’s Bell and the glitter pool is the book for you.

This book sometime follows some of the 12 stages of the hero’s journey. From the start of the book “Darious” is living in the ordinary world with his Father Hector Bell and his brother Cyrus.

This book is about a brave young boy who is living in the ordinary world Darious lives with his father Hector Bell and his brother Cyrus on the Bell estate. Hect
Gracie
May 17, 2011 Gracie added it
Heather
Jul 03, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
I found this to be a really 'nothing' book and was pleased that it was a quick read. Darius' father would have to be one of the most frustrating and stupid characters I have met in a while and I felt extremely sorry for his poor wife. With only one more book to read, I must say I have been very disappointed with the selection books that have been short-listed for the Children's Book Council of Australia's book of the year.
Marisa
Dec 02, 2015 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: usborne
Wow, I loved the relationships and cast of characters in this book. Unique take on the "rich family gone to ruin and trying to avoid embarrassing themselves" theme. Enough non-annoying, un-cheesey feel-good vibes to make the reader glow, with some really endearing character development.
Judy
Jun 15, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: confident 9 year olds upwards or read-aloud to middle-upper primary
Recommended to Judy by: Majella O'Brien
I've been meaning to read this for a year or so. I always really enjoy Odo Hirsch. For some reason I took a little while to engage with this.. (perhaps because the situation involving financial pressure and a family not dealing with it was a little too close to home at tax time!) but once into it, it did not disappoint me and it carried me happily along in an almost un-put-downable way to the end. Amelia Dee and Theodore Gutzman remain my favourites of Hirsch's works. But this was very good. I w ...more
Jessica
Sep 04, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Got this book for my sixth grader and then had to read it myself.
I often found myself wanting to use the book to smack Hector Bell over the head...but that's the sign of a good story, when it evokes such emotion in the reader whether positive or harsh.
Sophie Kaelin
Apr 20, 2014 Sophie Kaelin rated it did not like it
I've given up! This book was excruciatingly boring. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't finish it. I feel like the author relates quite well to Hector Bell in the fact that he uses 3 words when really 1 would have sufficed.
Zoe Gavin
Jul 28, 2016 Zoe Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous book, I believe I was about 8 when I read and it and it was the book that made me love to read, I'll be giving to my future children!
Shane Harcombe
Dec 04, 2013 Shane Harcombe rated it really liked it
This has been on my son's bookshelf for quite some time and one of those "recommended" books I just hadn't got around to reading. I read this only knowing that it was a recommended "Australian" children's book, but it feels much more English than Australian.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It is an engaging and entertaining fantasy story, but set in a relatively realistic world. You cannot help but admire the bravery and kind-heartedness of Darius and his life is romantacised and attractive for th
Emily
Mar 02, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
A very charming story with a great message. Perfect for a 4th-6th grader or anyone who just wants to reads feel good story.
ISS Singapore
The Bell family's ancestors were showered with honours, gifts and grants of land. In exchange, they have bestowed a Gift, once every 25 years, on the town. The Gifts have ranged from a statue to a bell tower with stained-glass windows, but now it's Darius's father's turn - and there is no money for an impressive gift. It looks as though a wheelbarrow full of vegetables is the best they can do. Darius is determined to maintain family honour, and when an earthquake reveals a glorious cave, with th ...more
Fran
Feb 05, 2015 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik vond dit een prachtig boek.
Bridget
Mar 14, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I found the plot predictableand overly simple, but goodness were the themes of this lovely! the book is all about the value of what society thinks is importantly opposed to what it's truly important, like family names versus family relationships, money versus value, and whether beautiful things are made better by sharing for the sake of sharing. The characters demonstrate Hirsch's trademark kindness and eccentricity. It's not fantastical, just sweet and I'm really looking forward to the next one
Amber Bamber
Dec 23, 2013 Amber Bamber rated it did not like it
I have no idea why I didn't like this book. Just every time opened it, I wanted to bash my head against the wall! I find Darius Bell to be annoying (mind you he is a kid) and if HE was annoying HIS FATHER is the most irritating character in the book! I have no reason to dislike this book but I threw the book in the recycling bin afterwards. If you like this sort of book, by all means, go for it, I just strongly dislike it.
Tracey Price
Jul 26, 2016 Tracey Price rated it really liked it
Great tweeny fiction
Andrew
This book is almost as good as Amelia Dee. I love Odo Hirsch's characters, and the plots are so quirky while at the same time maintaining a real believability. I find it so amazing the way he can write novels that have such a living sense of setting, and yet keep the actual location completely generic. This book could be set anywhere. A fantastic read.
Book Bazaar
Odo Hirsch writes wonderful quirky stories for intelligent readers between 8 and 14.

THis story follows Darius as he learns more about his family history, and their current poverty. An intelligetn likeable narrator who is making sense of his world. A really lovely book filled with wonder and sensitivity.
Sue
Dec 01, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment

Good fun read with a flaky father who struggles to get a handle on what a lack of bees means. Probably like many everyday people he doesn't see a connection between pollination, gardening, bees and starvation. Good goodies, bad baddies and a group of children who, with a bit of help from mum get their comeuppance.
tilka
Apr 21, 2013 tilka rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was sooo amazing!!! I have no idea where on earth odo Hirsch gets his ideas from, but they are exceptional!!! I love his quirky writing and all of his books that I've read have been WONDERFUL!!! I am definitely looking forward to reading more of his work!!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!
Shane
Jan 15, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing
A real surprise packet. The understated cover does not do the story justice. One of the most original plots I have ever come across and a story that I truly did not want to end. Many of my kids have baulked at this one because it looks "boring", I can now recommend it to them.
Miffy
Aug 27, 2010 Miffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, funny, and really well-written. Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool has won the CBCA Book of the Year: Younger Readers, and you can see why. I read this in about two hours - it's not a hard read, but the message is deep, the characters flawed and endearing.
Maureen E
This is in the category of books I might have enjoyed when I was younger. For the present-day me, it felt too light and inconsequential, which sounds weird when the whole plot is centered around Darius’s world disappearing (not literally). [Mar. 2011]

LauraW
May 14, 2010 LauraW rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, middle-grades
I liked this book, but I got quite impatient with the long, drawn-out reiterations of the importance of the gift and the Bell family. I suppose, in a way, it was all necessary to highlight the ending. I wish I weren't so impatient.
Emyrose8
Jan 26, 2012 Emyrose8 rated it liked it
beautifully written... the descriptions are absolutely wonderful. The plot is pretty simple, but I was kept guessing until the very end.
Lisa
Aug 09, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
This book had a clever and unexpected ending, but most of the story felt quite predictable. Nice characters, nice ending.
Selina Ryan
Oct 13, 2011 Selina Ryan rated it liked it
Sweet story about a boy with an interesting family history, who along with his father discovers what is most important in life.
Kwan Ann  Tan
A very sweet story, so full of innocence and a sound philosophy behind it all. Enjoyed it very much!
  • Ishmael and the Return of the Dugongs
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • After
  • The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
  • Toppling
  • Meet Grace (Our Australian Girl - Grace, #1)
Odo Hirsch was born and grew up in Melbourne, where he trained to be a doctor. He now lives in London and writes excellent books that are published not only in Australia but also in the US, UK, Netherlands, Korea, Germany, and Italy.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/odo-hirsch
More about Odo Hirsch...

“Ripe strawberries hung from the little plants, row after row. They gleamed like baubles, bright and red among the leaves, weighing down their stalks.” 3 likes